Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Inserts for DLBP

Members of the TB BST have been discussing the use of the DLBP for short hikes. Id like to add some support in the bag. Has anyone improvised a frame sheet or used a Freudian slip?

Forum Member
    Portland, OR
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Medium Cafe FS is a great fit for the lower shingle pocket and gives some great organizational options!
    Current Everyday Carry: S19 in Cloud/Island, 15C Cache, SE in Wasabi, SC in Fjord; Cubelets in Dawn, Canyon, and Grass, COW in Original Halcyon
    Current Travel Carry: A30 in Original Halcyon/Ultraviolet, DLBP in Nordic, PCSB in Sitka, Large TT in Sitka, SSK in Wasabi, 3DOC in Solar

Germany
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’ve hiked with my DLBP, I posted a picture of myself climbing the Teide summit with my DLBP last year here:
    https://forums.tombihn.com/photos-vi...tml#post183793

I do have dedicated hiking backpacks, but I’ve used the DLBP on non hiking holidays because I like it better for walking around a city wearing non hiking clothes. What kind of support do you want for the DLBP? I personally think it’s fine without anything added for structure, if you take care what to pack where.

If you want padding in the back a good idea would be to use an old gym mat and cut some inserts for the pockets - you could also use them to sit on if you take breaks. The FS might be a good fit, but I personally wouldn’t take things on a hike that would be a good fit in a FS.
    Last edited by b1gsky; 09-07-2020 at 12:47 PM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by b1gsky View Post

If you want padding in the back a good idea would be to use an old gym mat and cut some inserts for the pockets - you could also use them to sit on if you take breaks. The FS might be a good fit, but I personally wouldn’t take things on a hike that would be a good fit in a FS.
    Like this idea! I cut up some packing foam that came with electronics and furniture... does help a little, if not carrying heavy/hard/pokey things.
    I will try this! We have some old mats lying around... Thanks!!

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the lightness of the DLBP, so I use a layer, either a windbreaker, sweater/cardigan or, a light polartec vest/scarve/ in the main compartment lower pocket.

The main compartment top pocket is perfect for a tablet, small laptop in a Tom Bihn Cache, or TB Accessories like 3D Cubes or HLT, or a paperback.

The front pocket is perfect to keep a water or thermos bottle upright, provided a 3D Cube or a lunch box, is placed next to it to keep it upright.

The DLBP and Small Zippered Shop Bag have replaced my S19 and Large Original Shop Bag as my Going Outside Day Carry.