Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Malaysia
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1 in VS 1.5 in shoulder strap - Which is better for PCSB?

Hi, can anyone share their experience carrying the PCSB using the 1" ($6) vs the 1.5" (standard $15) shoulder strap? Which do you prefer, and why? Thanks!

Forum Member
    UK
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I find it is a small enough bag that the 1 inch strap is more than adequate.
    What are you planning on carrying, is is something particularly heavy?

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

Malaysia
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gqb View Post
    I find it is a small enough bag that the 1 inch strap is more than adequate.
    What are you planning on carrying, is is something particularly heavy?

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk
    I'm using a SK as my EDC now. When it's packed full with a powerbank, it can get quite heavy, and I'd feel the weight when the shoulder strap digs into my shoulder. I'd likely carry the same things in the PCSB including my ipad 9.7", which would make it even heavier than my SK. That's why I was wondering if the 1.5" strap would make a difference.

Forum Member
    Singapore
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dom View Post
    I'm using a SK as my EDC now. When it's packed full with a powerbank, it can get quite heavy, and I'd feel the weight when the shoulder strap digs into my shoulder. I'd likely carry the same things in the PCSB including my ipad 9.7", which would make it even heavier than my SK. That's why I was wondering if the 1.5" strap would make a difference.
    Why, hello neighbour from across the causeway!

I had the same issue with the 1" strap digging into my shoulder when I carry an external battery, water bottle and iPad Mini in my Side Kick. I bought the OP/TECH Mini S.O.S. Strap (a baby version of the Tom Bihn Absolute Shoulder Strap) from Amazon and that eliminated the issue. I've not tried a 1.5" strap because it's really hard to go back to webbing straps after using the Absolute and Mini.
    Last edited by latchford; 11-21-2020 at 04:07 PM.

Malaysia
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by latchford View Post
    Why, hello neighbour from across the causeway!

I had the same issue with the 1" strap digging into my shoulder when I carry an external battery, water bottle and iPad Mini in my Side Kick. I bought the OP/TECH Mini S.O.S. Strap (a baby version of the Tom Bihn Absolute Shoulder Strap) from Amazon and that elminated the issue. I've not tried a 1.5" strap because it's really hard to go back to webbing straps after using the Absolute and Mini.
    Hey there Latchford! Thanks for your reply! While I'm sure the Absolute strap would eliminate all shoulder ache, it kind of takes away from the smart-casual handbag look, not to mention the higher price. I won't be ordering anything from Amazon anytime soon, so I'm hoping to just get a strap from TB at the same time I get the PCSB. Just hoping someone who has used the bag with the 1.5" standard strap could let me know if it makes any difference, before I decide on the strap. :-)

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't used a 1.5" strap with it..... but I've used the 5/8" and the 1". The 5/8" is just for travel and works for light loads. The 1" seems perfect both proportionally and functionally..... I've never desired more, and I've carried camera equipment in it.

Forum Member
    Alaska
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Greetings,
    Here are my observations about the Tom Bihn straps.

The 5/8 strap is fantastic for small bags and light loads. When I used it on the Packing Cube Shoulder Bag, it was okay until I bought a few souvenirs that were on the heavy side. The extra weight caused the strap to dig into my shoulder and become uncomfortable.

The one inch strap is excellent for the Side Kick or the Packing Cube Shoulder Bag. For most loads, it's very comfortable. When I had to carry a heavy load, it was tolerable for a short time, but I prefer to be more comfortable if I'll be carrying a heavy bag all day long.

Both the Simple Shoulder Strap and the Standard Shoulder Strap are one and a half inches wide. They both have a shoulder pad, which can be removed, but this will void the warranty. To remove them, it is usually necessary to cut the pad. I find the one and a half inch width very comfortable, as that width does not dig into my shoulder even with a medium to heavy load. I do prefer a padded strap for heavy loads, but I also appreciate the minimalist ascetic of the plain strap.

When I travel with the Pilot, a larger strap is necessary. The Standard Shoulder Strap is one and a half inches wide. I find it comfortable for light or medium loads in the Pilot. For all day use and with a heavy load, the Absolute Strap is much less tiring by the end of the day. The Absolute Strap is slightly large for the Pilot, so I now have the Mini SOS Strap, as recommended earlier.

The Maker's Bag is usually filled with heavy music books when I teach ukulele lessons or go to jams and gigs. It comes with the Standard Strap, which has the padded shoulder pad. The shoulder pad makes it very comfortable while carrying the bag to and from my vehicle, even if I have to walk a mile. I'm sure the Mini SOS Strap will be more comfortable for this use.

I hope this has been helpful. Good luck! elisa

Southern California
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally I prefer the 1". And since the PCSB has been my go-to bag for the last 10 months (easy to wipe down and carries a ton). I find the 1.5" is too much unless you're literally carrying bricks. I find the 3/4" strap digs into my shoulder after awhile. I leave that for my Travel Cubes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk