Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2 Caches better than 1?

I carry a Brain Bag because I love its flexibility. I have a new 13 laptop, and Im wondering if two caches might not be better than one?

I have a 13 cache and one for a bigger 15. I can fit the 13 inside the 15 pretty easy. Since there is no padding at the bottom of the BB, this seems like a good strategy to me, but would you consider it overkill?

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by brianwdavidson View Post
    I have a 13” cache and one for a bigger 15”. I can fit the 13” inside the 15 pretty easy. Since there is no padding at the bottom of the BB, this seems like a good strategy to me, but would you consider it overkill?
    It depends on how you typically carry and treat your bag. If you know that you'll be dropping it to the floor or generally tossing it around, more protection won't hurt though two caches might slow you down a bit. Since you seem to already own both of them and if you don't need them for anything else, give it a try for a while and see how it goes! And then come back here and let us know of course Smilie

I use a BB when I have driving trips to my factory and am bringing two laptops, tools, etc. Both have their own neoprene sleeves (no cache) and I toss all sorts of stuff in there with them, but I don't drop my bag or throw it around at all.

Back when I used to have to physically put my work bag down on concrete floors more often, I folded up a couple layers of bubblewrap from packages I had received and kept that in the bottom of my pack (different pack) just have an extra layer of protection...and I'd swap the bubble out every once in a while.
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As long as your not routinely dropping your bag (or other things on your bag), it's probably not necessary. I admit that my work laptop(s) routinely go in my BB without caches. The only potential downsides I see to doubling up with caches you already own are slowing you down and trapping in heat if the laptop is still running when you put it in the bag.

If you're really concerned, you could stalk eBay and ask on the FB buy/sell/trade group about a used Brain Cell.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it is a very good idea, Caches are very lightweight for the protection they provide.

France
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cache and other protections are always a balance between accidental damage versus type of use. A double cache will of course offer more protection. But perhaps stil not for every possible damage. Where do you stop - wouldn’t 3 be better still? Personally I think it is overkill. I can’t imagine or would hope not to put my bag in a situation - such as dropping bag on ground - where 1 cache should not be adequate. But for example it is a reason why I like the Syniks where the laptop compartment is suspended and not to the bottom of the bag, then used without any cache. Ease of laptop access and usage is a big benefit for me, so want to protect but willing to accept some should be avoidable risks.
    Last edited by BigBadD; 12-29-2020 at 12:35 PM.