PDA

View Full Version : Best way to remove an oil stain from dyneema?

ClaireJ
07-28-2015, 09:25 PM
So I was transporting some hummus in a not so leakproof container (whoops) in my lovely Northwest Sky Small Shop Bag (btw loving my Shop Bags, why did I wait so long to get any??), and now I've got olive oil stains on the bottom of the bag (it bled through, so visible from the outside too) and one of my favorite merino shirts. :( The shirt's at the dry cleaners, and I've washed the bag twice. First time, just a soak in water + castille soap, then second time tried some cornstarch to absorb the oil, then direct soap treatment. Which helped, but there's one part that still looks darker from the oil (not that noticeable but enough to annoy me). I'm hoping to take it as my personal item on an early morning flight Friday so not a ton of time to (hopefully) get it back in top shape. Any ideas?

AlaskaGirl
07-29-2015, 05:24 AM
My first thought is to see what the TB company recommends. The second thought is Dawn dishwashing soap, but I would verify this with TB staff before trying it.

There are several topics on cleaning bags, but I don't recall any that specifically dealt with oil stains. I hope for the best possible outcome for you and your bag! elisa

Darcy
07-29-2015, 06:51 AM
Man, oil stains are tough. I freely use olive oil when I cook and I've learned to make sure to wear shirts that I don't mind getting oil stains on when I'm cooking!

My first thought is to see what the TB company recommends. The second thought is Dawn dishwashing soap, but I would verify this with TB staff before trying it.

I think the suggestion of Dawn as a next step is a good one. I have also had luck with various stain sticks (not the bleach ones) on some oil stains. Try Dawn, then maybe a stain stick -- and let us know how it works!

binje
07-29-2015, 07:33 AM
Since Darcy is okay with Dawn on Dyneema, the man who owned the laundromat I used to frequent told me to pretreat oil spots with Dawn, then wash as usual. It's worked better than anything else on natural fibers (linen and cotton) and Tencel but I haven't tried it on other fabrics (wouldn't hesitate to use it on merino, though). Make sure you get the regular blue Dawn, not Dawn with moisturizers or other additives. I keep a sample-size bottle with my laundry stuff.

tpnl
07-29-2015, 08:05 AM
A natural alternative is Baking Soda

It works well for oil stains to soak them up. If you rub it into the stain area (dry) it should be able to absorb as much as possible. I do this and then just leave a clump of BS (... Baking Soda :)) for a few hours. You can actually see the absorbed oil in the BS when it is working. I find this works better than the majority of other detergents / soaps and is easy to do. I generally us it for carpet stains and cleaning metal pans (the scrubbing action really helps remove food and oil).

YMMV but hope this helps

Cheers!

bchaplin
07-29-2015, 08:11 AM
Let us know what happens!!

I want to start bringing my lunches to work to save money, and that is my big concern -- leakage.

al85
07-29-2015, 09:42 AM
I use an all-natural dish soap (Seventh Generation) because I was worried about using Dawn and it's worked pretty well in getting stains out. (I've gotten lipstick and oil-based foundation off of ballistic and Dyneema.)

Lani
07-29-2015, 09:48 AM
Hey, if Dawn works for the poor little birds who need to get their oil-stained feathers cleaned, it works for me! I'll remember this the next time I get an oil spill in my Dyneema.

ClaireJ
07-29-2015, 10:02 AM
I usually use castille soap (Doc Bronners) for everything, but I'll grab a small bottle of Dawn to try it out! I too use baking soda for cleaning (great for the tub!), but was worried it might be too abrasive - think the absorption is a similar idea to the cornstarch (which did seem to help a bit so maybe I didn't leave it on long enough?), might be worth a shot if the dish soap doesn't work. Just have to time this right so it's dry for me to pack tomorrow night... I'll report back!

Saltgirl
07-29-2015, 02:14 PM
Shampoo. It is designed to get oil out of natural fibers. Works quite well. I use it on everything. I would stay away from dry hair formula due to the probable higher oil content.

GoStanford
07-29-2015, 06:58 PM
This is an interesting thread. I discovered last weekend that our swim bag, which has been used only for swim gear for almost 1.5 years and still looks great, had a small shampoo spill on the interior. The pictures show how it looks post-hand wash from the inside and the outside. Something about sitting with a puddle of shampoo for a week led to darkening of the Dyneema fibers and a change in the shiny-ness of the material in that area. I wonder if a coating of NikWax would help?

adalangdon
07-29-2015, 07:04 PM
This is an interesting thread. I discovered last weekend that our swim bag, which has been used only for swim gear for almost 2 years and still looks great, had a shampoo spill on the interior. The pictures show how it looks post-hand wash from the inside and the outside. Something about sitting with a puddle of shampoo for a week led to darkening of the Dyneema fibers and a change in the shiny-ness of the material. I wonder if a coating of NikWax would help?

Oh dear. From here, it looks like some of the shiny coating on the underside has come off, quite like how the underside of Cordura degrades (flakes) with disuse and age. I'm saying this based on the 2nd image, of course. Was it hand-washed very hard?

GoStanford
07-29-2015, 07:20 PM
Was it hand-washed very hard?

I agree - it's got some granularity that wasn't there before, and if possible the Dyneema threads look thinner and darker. As it was soaking in a 3x3 inch square of leaky shampoo, I had to rinse fairly vigorously to get the suds out, but I tried to be as gentle as I could and still get it feeling non-sticky. I also noticed a couple of dark spots, which certainly could have been acquired by regular use over the last 16+ months. The sides still look great.

AlaskaGirl
07-30-2015, 04:11 AM
Okay, I've verified my laundry cupboard contents.

I treat most stains with a solid stain stick. Spray n Wash is my favorite, but may have been discontinued. Resolve is the new version. So far it seems to work the same. Shout makes a similar product, but I prefer the others. Resolve says it can be applied and left to sit for a "pre-treat" period. I only do this on the most difficult stains.

Rubbing the stain remover stick on the fabric and tossing it right in the washer usually does the trick. Cold water, pre wash cycle with one cup baking soda and one cup Borax, 30 minute wash cycle with one cup baking soda, extra rinse. No other soap needed. My machine also has a dirt level selection: mild, light, normal, and heavy soil. I typically use normal, but for stains and outdoor activities I will use the heavy soil setting.

Note that those puffy jackets with thin nylon shells get impossible dirt marks and stains at the cuffs, on the elbows, and around the zipper. A liberal application of Resolve Stain Stick and a wash in cold water and it's like new! Nothing else seems to get it looking clean, much less new looking.

Now I see gel stain removers, sometimes with a built in brush head. I'd avoid the brush on Dyneema.

With all products like this, there is the risk of removing the stain but bleaching, discoloring or damaging the fabric. Use with caution, testing a tiny bit on a spot that is unobtrusive if possible.

Again, I wish for the best outcome! elisa

ClaireJ
07-30-2015, 11:15 AM
Thanks, everyone! I did some directed cleaning with Dawn last night and after drying overnight, the stain is significantly reduced, although that one side of the bottom still looks a little... dingy? As @GoStanford describes, it's like the dyneema fibers darkened slightly (so they don't stand out bright white quite as much), though luckily there's no wearing away of the shiny inner coating. Honestly, it's only noticeable because I know it's there, and I think maybe another go with the Dawn would work. It's certainly in good enough condition to pack up tonight as my personal item (although I am leaning towards using my Large Shop Bag now, will have to gather everything and see which makes more sense!).