PDA

View Full Version : Synapse 19 and 15" Macbook Pro Retina

AmyMo
08-01-2015, 11:18 AM
So I just very excitedly ordered a Synapse 19 and then noticed that it does not list the 15" Macbook Pro retina cache in the "Add a Cache" dropdown, which is what I have. Does anybody know if my Macbook is going to fit in my beautiful new Navy/Iberian Synapse?

Slightly panicked.

ceepee
08-01-2015, 11:26 AM
Hmmm, I'd say not. I only have the horizontal cache to try, but you can see that the corners protrude from the top. The main compartment is empty except for the cache.
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/08/01/b1706d972c8246e02991df4d48342c54.jpg

marytattoo
08-01-2015, 11:28 AM
Hmmm, I'd say not. I only have the horizontal cache to try, but you can see that the corners protrude from the top. The main compartment is empty except for the cache.
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/08/01/b1706d972c8246e02991df4d48342c54.jpg
Ceepee, what is the green thing? :)

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

AmyMo
08-01-2015, 11:29 AM
Crap! Thanks for checking!

ceepee
08-01-2015, 11:33 AM
Crap! Thanks for checking!

No problem, sorry to be the bearer of bad news. Maybe someone else can check with a vertical cache ..... on the off chance that having the flap on the long edge makes a difference :/

AmyMo
08-01-2015, 11:37 AM
I really want the Synapse in Navy/Iberian, but the 25 is not currently available in that combo. So I was hoping the 19 would squeeze it in. I could cave in and just get the black. I'm just so in love with the navy. :(

ceepee
08-01-2015, 11:37 AM
Ceepee, what is the green thing? :)

It's a ResQMe keychain tool for escaping from a car, for example, in the event of an accident. It has a blade for slicing through seat belts and a glass breaker in case you can't exit via the doors. Small and lightweight alternative to the larger LifeHammer devices that are made to be mounted in your car.

tpnl
08-01-2015, 11:43 AM
I do not have a Synapse 19 (S19). But, in this older video, the MBP (earlier version) in a vertical cache fit into what is now the S19 - it was just called the Synapse back then before the Synapse 25 (S25) was introduced:

Older MBP in a Synapse (original version) (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1MHbX8tqp4)

Just looking at the pictures and knowing my S25, I would say, with the vertical cache, it's fit falls into the "just able to do if you squeeze it a bit" - just like @ceepee's picture show with a horizontal cache. The main impact would be to the zippers which is probably why TB does not recommend putting in a 15" laptop. I have a similar situation with my 15.6" laptop and my S25. I can actually fit a Brain Cell in my S25 that is not one of the options.

Bottom line, YMMV, but IMHO, there is a good chance you can fit your 15" MBP in a cache in the S19 but you may need to lift the zippers over the corners of the laptop when opening and closing (causes a bit more wear and tear over the long run). So it is probably doable - just not TB recommended.

Also, because it stretches the Synapse, it will reduce the space for thicker items. Another thing to note is that the protection will be not as optimal as the cache foam is right at the edge of the bag - there is still protection due to the cache itself from scratches and minor bumps (which is all it is designed to do anyways unlike the Brain Cell which is full drop protection).

Tip - I find that by using the handle and lifting my S25 backpack just off the ground and then putting in the laptop actually gives it the clearance needed to fit. I found this also with the Vertical Freudian Slip and the S25 so I would suspect the same principle applies to the S19.

Again - all the above would need to be confirmed by an S19 owner with a 15' MBP and Vertical Cache to be sure.

Hope this helps

Cheers!

AmyMo
08-01-2015, 11:48 AM
Thanks tpnl. I'm not sure if I want to "make it fit" or not. Part of what I love about these bags and the design of the accessories is how perfectly paired they usually are. Forcing a cache into a bag that's too small seems counter-productive at this price point. I'll figure something out. Maybe the Navy will come back in the 25.

marytattoo
08-01-2015, 11:53 AM
It's a ResQMe keychain tool for escaping from a car, for example, in the event of an accident. It has a blade for slicing through seat belts and a glass breaker in case you can't exit via the doors. Small and lightweight alternative to the larger LifeHammer devices that are made to be mounted in your car.
What a cool thing! Gonna check on this!

FrozenJ
08-01-2015, 01:38 PM
Thanks tpnl. I'm not sure if I want to "make it fit" or not. Part of what I love about these bags and the design of the accessories is how perfectly paired they usually are. Forcing a cache into a bag that's too small seems counter-productive at this price point. I'll figure something out. Maybe the Navy will come back in the 25.

You should call them. They may have one that you can order, or they can tell you when they expect to have navy in stock again.

If you must wait, a navy Daylight Backpack is a great minimalist backpack that easily holds a 15" laptop. When empty, it packs well into other bags when traveling.

AmyMo
08-20-2015, 09:39 AM
I ended up canceling my Synapse 19 order (the one that prompted this panicked thread). In the email exchange with customer support I got a little bit of a wink/nod heads up that a Navy 25 was in the offing. I checked back less than 10 days later and there it was! So I promptly ordered a Synapse 25 in Navy/Iberian and it is supposed to arrive today. Consequently I am sitting in my living room, staring out the window for the UPS truck. :)