PDA

View Full Version : Knitting Bag - "are we there yet?"

Skylark
08-27-2007, 05:29 PM
Each time our factory makes a batch of bags, they're adding more d-rings to them. The new knitting bag has four d-rings.

How soon until we get to see this?

Can you give us a hint on size?

Anxious cause its time to start knitting the holiday gifts and I sure am ready for a new knitting bag.

Darcy
08-30-2007, 05:49 PM
Almost. Really. Think like, 2-3 weeks.

The size will be the same as the LUX (http://www.tombihn.com/page/001/PROD/200/TB0650)...

escapegoat
08-30-2007, 09:26 PM
oo, a knitting bag? i am excited!

Skylark
08-31-2007, 08:25 AM
Almost. Really. Think like, 2-3 weeks.

The size will be the same as the LUX (http://www.tombihn.com/page/001/PROD/200/TB0650)...

Oh yippee skippee. LUX size sounds perfect and I'm hoping its in the Ballistic Nylon just like the LUX (and my Aeronaut). Any chance we'll see a Hunter one?? Obvious hint - huh?

I'll be ordering one and adding several clear organizer pouches to the order so I can have them dedicated to knitting bag duty. That way I'll save my current organizer pouches for their everyday use.

Happy, happy, joy, joy. The knitting bag is on the way soon.

bobster
09-05-2007, 08:35 PM
For all the guy knitters out there (I just learned this year), this is gonna rock.

yarnopfile
09-25-2007, 03:32 PM
Can I start holding my breath for this bag? Hope so, b/c I already am. So are many others in my knitting group. Bring it on! We can take it! :)

Darcy
09-25-2007, 03:33 PM
Really soon! I promise!

The folks at Knitty.com are helping us come up with a name for it. :)

yarnopfile
09-25-2007, 08:23 PM
Yippy skippy!
If the knitty girls need some help, just send them over to my knitting community @ twistyarnshop.com and the Wichita KIP. We'll come up with a name faster than they can ask if we've knit a swatch. Faster than 2 shakes of a cashmere goat's tail. Faster than the Yarn Harlot's needles.

indigo
09-28-2007, 11:29 AM
Really soon! I promise!

The folks at Knitty.com are helping us come up with a name for it. :)
I was one of the people helping Amy at Knitty with the name last night. We had a great time and this is a GREAT bag! It hasn't left my side since I got it last night. It's quite possibly the perfect knitting bag.

I want to do a review on my blog and possibly on Ravelry as well. If you let me know when you're ready to post the bags on your site, I'll post the review at that time.

I have a couple of questions:
1. I'd love to get another key strap. I'm using the one current on the bag for my scissors, so now need one for my keys! Can I add a note about that in the comments of my order and have you just add it to the cost?

2. I want to get some organizer pouches and I'm in Canada, which means that the flat rate UPS will cost more than the pouches! Is there any way you can send my order another way? (I know the answer's likely no, but thought I'd try anyway...)

Thanks!
Kim

bobster
09-28-2007, 11:42 AM
Hi again! I am all over this knitting bag. Too cool. Can't wait to get one (or two or three). When will we be able to purchase? What are the colors? Thanks,
Bobster
p.s. - still loving my medium cafe bag.

Skylark
10-05-2007, 02:28 PM
Darcy Oct 5th :In-stock soon....the Brain Bag in Sapphire, the Empire Builder in Black/Steel/Steel and Black/Steel/Crimson, and the new knitting bag."

For those of us checking the site for the arrival of the knitting bag can you give us the colors available and when we can pre-order?

Turning blue as I hold my breath. . . . but smiling in anticipation

Darcy
10-08-2007, 12:28 PM
Colors --

Ballistic Nylon:
Crimson/Black
Crimson/Steel
Steel/Black

1000 denier Cordura:
Black/Black
Sapphire/Steel
Cocoa/Olive
Crimson/Navy
Kelly/Navy
Sapphire/Plum
Steel/Plum

Skylark
10-08-2007, 12:36 PM
yum - lots of colors to choose from! thanks

Hard decision for me, I love the feel of the ballistic nylon, but so many color choices in the Cordura.

moriond
10-08-2007, 08:13 PM
yum - lots of colors to choose from! thanks

Hard decision for me, I love the feel of the ballistic nylon, but so many color choices in the Cordura.
Hi,

Just my 2cents but the fact that the ballistic nylon construction does a better job of standing upright and open compared to cordura would make me choose that for a knitting bag. But the colors in Cordura are great.

moriond

angstmama
10-10-2007, 12:33 PM
I've been waiting with breathless anticipation for the knitting bag. I've never found one that combined form and function, it's been either one or the other. I can't wait to see this bag. I check in every day to see if it's made the debut yet.

Thanks for deciding to provide a sturdy and useful bag for knitters. It's long overdue!

Laura

yarnopfile
10-10-2007, 05:58 PM
I'm glad I'm not the only one checking everyday (although I am losing steam).

Just
10-10-2007, 09:00 PM
There are photos here (I'm guessing from a beta tester/fellow forum member):

http://www.flickr.com/photos/indigodragonfly/sets/72157600737863032/

yarnopfile
10-11-2007, 07:45 AM
just saw the photos, thanks for pointing them out.

It looks like a modified Lux. Very cool! (Especially since I have already have the)

I swear I have work that should have priority over a new knitting bag. :)

angstmama
10-11-2007, 12:52 PM
I loved the pictures of this bag. I think it will finally be the perfect knitting bag for me.

I'm trying to tell from the pictures, what color will the lining fabric be? My complaint from other knitting bags has been that the lining is black, the pockets are black, and I like black bags. Finding anything in them is a challenge, to say the least. Even when I'm organized, I find that I'll drop something like a stitch marker or a yarn needle and have to empty the bag completely to find it.

I haven't decided how many accessory bags I'll get. I'll have to take a closer look when the bag is released. I hope it's soon! (always nudging about that)

yarnopfile
10-11-2007, 04:43 PM
The inside of my utility tote and of my aeronaut are the same color as the outside. Pockets are the same grey grid as the packing cubes. I imagine that the knitting bag will the same.

indigo
10-11-2007, 08:00 PM
Those are my photos. I've been lucky enough to have one of the new knitting bags in my possession for the past 2 weeks.

I've put together a review here: http://indigodragonfly.wordpress.com/2007/10/12/another-obsession that includes some of the accessories I've already bought for it and what I'm using them for. My favourite discovery so far is using a medium organizer pouch as a pattern holder that I can attach to the bag (photocopy of pattern that I fold in half) This lets me flip the pattern out to look at while I'm on the subway! Much better solution than the juggling act I was putting on before.

schulman
10-12-2007, 03:16 PM
Indigo, thanks for the great review. Has a price been set for these bags yet?

Darcy
10-12-2007, 03:28 PM
Has a price been set for these bags yet?

$70 (http://www.tombihn.com/page/001/PROD/TBP/TB0660).

You can take a sneak peak at the bag (and even order one) now (http://www.tombihn.com/page/001/PROD/TBP/TB0660). I just need to add a few more pictures of the Swift (the knitting bag) to the page and then it will be ready for debut!

schulman
10-12-2007, 03:55 PM
Thank you! (You know the picture descriptions are currently from the Ruck's Sac, right?)

Darcy
10-12-2007, 03:56 PM
Yes...I'm putting the finishing touches on the page right now. :)

Darcy
10-12-2007, 04:42 PM
Also: someone here had the great suggestion of making the Yarn Stuff Sack available for purchase separately from the Swift because even those who aren't knitters will find use for it. Or because some knitters may want to purchase extra stuff sacks. So here it is -- the Yarn Stuff Sack! (http://www.tombihn.com/page/001/PROD/ACC/TB0661)

FYI: We will soon have a version of the Yarn Stuff Sack that has a clear vinyl bottom.

yarnopfile
10-12-2007, 08:40 PM
Yipee!!!
It's a beauty!
thanks Darcy & Tom.

Just
10-12-2007, 09:56 PM
That's a pretty awesome-looking bag right there, and this is coming from a non-knitter! TB & crew does it again!!!

angstmama
10-22-2007, 09:13 PM
I stopped by the store today and saw the swift in person, and I was really impressed. Just a great bag.

I understand that the plum/steel is available mid November. Is it possible to order a bag with a different, but similar, color combination? Say black/plum? I'd understand that obviously I might have to wait a while.

Regardless, I was mighty impressed with the bag.

Darcy
10-23-2007, 02:28 PM
I understand that the plum/steel is available mid November. Is it possible to order a bag with a different, but similar, color combination? Say black/plum?

Color suggestions are welcome, but we can't do one-off custom colors. We'll consider Black/Plum for the next batch (early 2008)!

indigo
10-25-2007, 06:17 PM
More photos of me wearing the bag: http://indigodragonfly.wordpress.com/2007/10/26/done-done-and-done/

Seed
11-04-2007, 05:28 PM
Color suggestions are welcome, but we can't do one-off custom colors. We'll consider Black/Plum for the next batch (early 2008)!

Do you plan to offer any solid color Swifts? I love the bag but not the color combinations. For a knitting bag a light interior is essential - the gray is OK but it just doesn't look good with many of the outside colors. I'd love to see a bag with a lighter interior (maybe Wasabi) and a single, contrasting color exterior.

Darcy
11-05-2007, 10:40 AM
Do you plan to offer any solid color Swifts? I love the bag but not the color combinations. For a knitting bag a light interior is essential - the gray is OK but it just doesn't look good with many of the outside colors. I'd love to see a bag with a lighter interior (maybe Wasabi) and a single, contrasting color exterior.

You might be seeing this in the next month or two. Stay tuned.

moriond
11-05-2007, 11:33 AM
Darcy,

This isn't strictly just about the interior of the Swift, but in instances such as the Swift and the Aeronaut, where the interior color is determined by the same material that is used for the outside of the bag except for some dyneema lining or pockets, is it possible to get a lighter pattern of dyneema? The pattern generally works well for the packing cubes, and goes with a wide variety of solid colors, but for more contrast, as Seed mentions, it would be nice to have a lighter interior sometimes.

moriond

pretzelb
11-05-2007, 01:28 PM
I hate to bury this thought in this thread but I think in general all bags should have the option for a bright color on the inside. I never really thought about it but it does help tremendously with packing and finding items when the interior is something other than traditional black.

Darcy
11-05-2007, 02:50 PM
is it possible to get a lighter pattern of dyneema?

Currently, we have our Dyneema fabric made for us in Steel/White Ripstop. The ripstop is always white, but the grey part can be made in pretty much any color we want. We tried out quite a few colors before settling on the Steel color. We found it impossible to find a color that would match (or at least wouldn't clash with) the exterior colors that we use that most people would like or at least find inoffensive. Maybe someday we'll have two colors of Dyneema fabric!

Seed
11-05-2007, 03:55 PM

Thanks Darcy! I'll definitely check back.