PDA

View Full Version : Vertical freudian slip with Aeronaut 45 packing cube backpack?

HYPEractiv
09-04-2015, 05:23 PM
This will be my primary diaper backpack and just need a touch more organization. Will the vertical freudian slip fit well in it?

moriond
09-04-2015, 07:05 PM
This will be my primary diaper backpack and just need a touch more organization. Will the vertical freudian slip fit well in it?

@ HYPEractiv, I don't think you can fit a vertical Freudian Slip (http://www.tombihn.com/accessories/TB0344.html), even the smaller sized one for a Synapse 19, into the Packing Cube Backpack for Aeronaut (http://www.tombihn.com/accessories/TB0925.html). The Packing Cube Backpack for the Aeronaut 45 has a separator between the two sections (main compartment and bottom zippered pocket):

That means that the largest size of an open compartment is 13.5" x 13.5" x 4.25" / 345 x 345 x 105 mm (These are the dimensions listed for the "Dimensions (as a packing cube)" under the Specs on the product page (http://www.tombihn.com/accessories/TB0925.html); the "Dimensions (as a backpack) of 17.5" x 13.5" x 4.25" / 445 x 345 x 105 mm include the extra vertical 4" of that bottom zippered pocket, but it remains a separate section, so your vertical Freudian Slip would have to fit into the 13.5" x 13.5" x 4.25" / 345 x 345 x 105 mm section, and there's no exterior zippered pocket.)

The smaller (Synapse 19 vertical Freudian Slip) is 15" long, so it won't fit into the 13.5" maximum length of the main compartment of the Packing Cube Backpack for Aeronaut 45. It would fit into either the main compartment or the exterior diagonally zippered pocket of the Packing Cube Backpack for Tri-Star/Western Flyer (http://www.tombihn.com/travel_bags/TB0924.html) since that has a single compartment that is 18" in length. In fact, you could fit either a Synapse 25 vertical Freudian Slip, or a regular (original) Vertical Freudian Slip (that is now being labeled "Brain Bag/Smart Alec Freudian Slip" into the main compartment, since none of these is longer than 18". And you could fit the Vertical Freudian Slip for Synapse 19 into the front diagonal zippered pocket of the PCSB for Tri-Star/Western Flyer.

HTH.

moriond

tpnl
09-05-2015, 08:45 PM
I took a few pics of the 3 Freudian Slips (FS) I have in the Packing Cube Back Pack (Aeronaut version) or PCBP-A. I filled up the bottom section of the PCBP-A so the FS did not impinge on that space.

Vertical FS in the PCBP-A: It does not fit unless you are ok with it impinging on the bottom space:

S25 FS in the PCBP-A: It does not fit unless you are ok with it impinging on the bottom space:

Horizontal FS in the PCBP-A: It does fit with just a bit of a bend / squeeze - not ideal but it could work IMHO (and you are ok with the pockets being sideways).

Unfortunately, I do not have an S19 FS to try.

Hope this help

Cheers!

HYPEractiv
09-07-2015, 02:26 PM
Yall are awesome. Thanks!

bunchgrass
09-07-2015, 04:17 PM
I have a Smart Alec, a "regular" vertical FS and a PCBP-TS/WF. I love this combination because I can pull the FS out of the SA and it fits in the PCBP-TS/WF. To answer your question, the FS doesn't fit in the PCBP-A as the photos show, but it does fit in the PCBP-TS/WF.

moriond
09-09-2015, 02:21 PM
I took a few pics of the 3 Freudian Slips (FS) I have in the Packing Cube Back Pack (Aeronaut version) or PCBP-A. ]

Unfortunately, I do not have an S19 FS to try.

Hope this help

Cheers!
Updating my answer to @HYPEractiv with a picture of the Vertical Freudian Slip for Synapse inside the Packing Cube Backpack for Aeronaut 45. I'm guessing that he already owns this packing cube backpack, and that's why he wants to use this with the Freudian Slip. In my opinion,although the PCBP for Tri-Star/Western Flyer is better for this, if you're designing a carrying solution from scratch, as @bunchgrass showed, it's acceptable to use the PCBP for Aeronaut with the smaller vertical Freudian Slip for Synapse 19 if you do not overfill the backpack, and take steps to reinforce the bottom compartment with padding (e.g., diaper supplies)

The 15" height of the vertical FS for Synapse 19 is the same as the width of the horizontal FS turned sideways, except that the top and bottom ends are more curved, and so they impinge less. In the picture I've folded down the open front of the PCSB so that the bottom of the fold rests at the base of the main compartment seam. I've inserted a 16 oz (0.48 liter) Zojurushi Carbon Black Tuff Mug (http://www.amazon.com/Zojirushi-SM-JB48BN-16-Ounce-0-48-Liter-Carbon/dp/B008OBTWM4) underneath the protruding end of the Freudian Slip in the lower compartment (not something that provides padding, but so that you can see how much room is left in the bottom compartment through the zippered opening). The FS protrudes nearly half way into the bottom compartment at the center, but this is probably acceptable. The Zojurushi thermos is about 2.5" in diameter, laid on its side.

Hope this helps, and sorry to be posting this so late (after seeing @tpnl's post).

moriond

kieri
08-02-2016, 09:01 PM
I think I saw somewhere that the FS for Swift/MB fits well in the A45 PCBP. Can anyone confirm/deny?

tpnl
08-02-2016, 10:02 PM
Basically, for something to fit well in a PCBP-Aeronaut version, it needs to be no more than 13.5" in any one length (The PCBP-Aeronaut, as a packing cube, is a square 13.5" x 13.5". This is also the main compartment dimension when used as a backpack with the bottom section being 13.5" x 4") . Given that the FS for Swift/MB is 13.4" at its longest, it should fit perfectly like a glove! (and in the right orientation).

I can test it later (or someone else who has the two items to test) but if the HFS fits with a slight bend and it is 15", I am sure the FS for Swift/MB will fit. I have also fit a now-retired Camera I-O perfectly and it is 14" x 11.75" (slightly bigger than the FS for Swift/MB which is 13.4" x 10.3").

Hope this helps
Cheers!

kieri
08-03-2016, 10:36 AM
Thank you! Are there any other protips or hacks for organizing the A45 PCBP? I'm tempted to grab an Aether A45 small cube to go in the bottom of the main section to hold a hoodie, gloves, etc., use a FS on top of that, hooked to an o-ring to keep it in place, then use the bottom section for shoes and / or a water bottle.

tpnl
08-04-2016, 12:34 AM
NP

Here are some picture of the FS in the PCBP-A:

Swift/Maker's FS in the PCBP-A

LCB FS in the PCBP-A

Please excuse the pesky Canadian Big Horn Sheep ... they pop up in the most surprising places!

As to using the PCBP-A, I like this video on it:

Tom Bihn Packing Cube Backpack Review (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQaspL4Y6Is)

I also like this video - near the end it shows how to tighten the straps to make them as comfortable to wear - YMMV:

Tom Bihn Packing Cube/Backpack (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOS7K5OTYAw)

I have not tried an FS in the PCBP-A version but I love the idea - especially hooking it onto the O-Ring - brilliant! Based on my time taking the above pictures, I actually like the LCB FS because it extends closer to the top making it easier to get at things and probably will give you better back support. Unfortunately, my size 11 stability shoes (wide sole) do not fit in the bottom compartment without significant stretching so I do not put my shoes in there but I am sure people with slightly smaller shoes will do fine.

Hope this helps
Cheers!