PDA

View Full Version : Advice on carry-on travel

GoStanford
10-14-2015, 08:42 PM
I don't have many details, but I can add those if needed. I am a die-hard checked baggage traveler. I prefer to limit my carry-on stuff to one big bag that holds laptop, purse items, reading material, snacks so that I can have everything at my feet immediately accessible. However, I would like to try carry-on only travel for my upcoming trip from San Francisco to East Coast.

I will be traveling a total of 6 days including flight time. Two days are work travel (professional clothing, suit and jacket not necessary) and two are for pleasure. I will pack one pair of shoes in addition to whatever I wear on the flight. My options for the bigger piece are:
Western Flyer (just got it)
Aeronaut 30

Options for the purse/laptop bag item are:
Pilot
Parental Unit (maybe - heretofore I have only used it as a Parental Unit)

There are other non-TB items but I will not include those here. I would appreciate input on which luggage item will work. I will pack a light jacket and a couple of sweaters, but I don't need any special outdoor gear or travel equipment.

maverick
10-14-2015, 10:54 PM
Dear GoStanford,

If I understand correctly, you plan to carry 2 changes of professional clothing, and two changes of casual attire.

I think you could use the Western Flyer or the Aeronaut 30 to hold what you are describing.

How big is your laptop? I don't know how well what size laptops pack into the Parental Unit, hoping someone else can comment. But the Pilot should nicely accommodate a 13" laptop and the other items you mentioned that you like to keep immediately accessible during flight.

Just thinking -- you mentioned two sweaters. Would one sweater suffice?

GoStanford
10-14-2015, 11:13 PM
How big is your laptop? I don't know how well what size laptops pack into the Parental Unit, hoping someone else can comment. But the Pilot should nicely accommodate a 13" laptop and the other items you mentioned that you like to keep immediately accessible during flight.

Just thinking -- you mentioned two sweaters. Would one sweater suffice?

Hi Maverick and thanks for the suggestions. I am pretty sure I will take the Pilot for my laptop (13-inch retina MacBook Pro). My Pilot is Dyneema and it is nicely flexible for laptop, charger, a magazine and a book, paperwork, and various small items I want to have with me. I can streamline the carry-on contents by packing fewer different layers as you mentioned about the sweater. I've never packed into the Western Flyer before so I am partly reluctant to try it because it looks *so* small, but it's actually fairly similar in capacity to the Aeronaut 30. What I like about the Aeronaut 30 is that it can hold oddly shaped items quite easily.

moriond
10-15-2015, 12:38 AM
Dear GoStanford,

@maverick, and others who might be following this thread, I just wanted to mention that @taminca posted (http://forums.tombihn.com/photos-videos-and-reviews/8781-uses-parental-unit-post85452.html#post85452) some pictures of the 13" MacBook Pro inside a Parental Unit in the Uses of the Parental Unit thread. I'll excerpt just one of them:
https://forums.tombihn.com/attachments/photos-videos-and-reviews/9358d1417576181-uses-parental-unit-p1030046-jpg
@taminca said:

Note that it was a tight squeeze to get the MBP in its well-padded WF sleeve into the PU's middle compartment. The zippered opening is a little shorter than the the MBP's length. It definitely fits, quite snugly, but if I had to carry my MBP around, I'd probably use a Pilot. In a pinch, though, it would fit in the PU... although, I might try a less padded sleeve.

I think this may have been the regular MacBook Pro -- if so, the 13" Retina MacBook Pro is a little shorter.

HTH

moriond

GoStanford
10-15-2015, 12:52 AM
@maverick, and others who might be following this thread, I just wanted to mention that @taminca posted some pictures of the 13" MacBook Pro inside a Parental Unit in the Uses of the Parental Unit thread.

I think this is the just the nudge I needed to order the new Dyneema Parental Unit. In my experience, Dyneema bags have quite bit more give than the corresponding Ballistic versions, and I would like to see how the Dyneema PU option might work for my upcoming trip.

Pokilani
10-15-2015, 07:15 AM
@GoStanford, another advantage to the Pilot as your personal item is the grab handles. Sometimes it's nice to have second option for carrying the bag.
Do you anticipate odd-shaped items? One advantage to the WF is you can easily place your MBP in the WF so the weight of the laptop is more evenly distributed. I have often packed an Eagle Creek compression half cube of light clothing in my DLBC and put in heavier items into my WF or A30. Of course, you can for the laptop in the A30, but I feel like I can access things easier with a laptop in the WF.
Personally, I find the WF a tad bit more comfortable. With the A30, I'm likely to use the extra space, making it a little heavier.
Let me know if you want me to do some test packing this weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tebnewyork
10-15-2015, 07:52 AM
@GoStanford, another advantage to the Pilot as your personal item is the grab handles. Sometimes it's nice to have second option for carrying the bag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This makes a lot of sense. I was thinking about how the PU would work vs the co-pilot for the under the seat personal item. I do pick up the co-pilot by the handle a lot. I would miss that with the PU. I did see a picture where someone took a key strap and attached it to two top o-rings inside the bag and used that as a handle. Its a great hack but of course that means the bag has to be unzipped.

GoStanford
10-20-2015, 02:11 PM
Follow-up that I am traveling today with the A30 and the Pilot, both carried on board. The A30 (mine is Dyneema) fit handily into the carry-on bag sizer, as did the Pilot in the personal item sizer. No questions or concerns from airline staff. I was re-thinking the carry-on tactic schlepping both bags down long hallways at the airport - traffic was a bit heavy and the security line a bit long, but I think on balance I came out even as I saved time having to check a bag.

I had big plans to bring the Yeoman Duffel along as I plan to do some shopping and bring back some gear at a relative's house at my destination, but I just could not fit both my sneakers and the YD in the A30, so I chose comfort over carrying capacity and packed the sneakers. The YD rolled up into a size 4 stuff sack (I didn't roll tightly enough for a size 3, but this has been done I believe in Ilkyway's photos).

I was delighted to find space for the A30 between roller suitcases in the overhead bin although everybody else in my row had gotten their seats. And the Pilot is handy for my laptop and other daily items and a magazine. I splurged on internet service on the flight - first time ever, and it's a great distraction.

ETA: The Dyneema Parental Unit arrived yesterday. It is a beautiful bag but the absence of a top handle meant I didn't bring it today. I wanted to have one bag I could hold in my hands while wearing the other on my back or on my shoulder. Actually I ended up putting the Pilot on my shoulder and carrying the A30 by its top handle. I must say I'm impressed at all of you who regularly do carry-on only. I pared down a lot but it's still quite a bit of stuff.

Abby
10-21-2015, 05:43 PM
@GoStanford, could you post a picture of your beautiful new bag? I think a lot of us would love to see the new Dyneema PU! :)

threeteez
10-21-2015, 07:01 PM
@GoStanford, could you post a picture of your beautiful new bag? I think a lot of us would love to see the new Dyneema PU! :)

Bijouxandbeads posted some super pics of her new dyneema PU in posts #939 & #942 on the following thread:

http://forums.tombihn.com/photos-videos-and-reviews/4819-your-photos-needed-63.html#post111386

A very tempting bag!