PDA

View Full Version : question about Dyneema Co-Pilot

ladyinblack1964
10-18-2015, 04:49 PM
Will the Dyneema CP hold its shape well? I'm concerned about it being floppy if it's not fully loaded. Still trying to decide on a day bag for my upcoming trip to London in the spring. Thanks!

moriond
10-18-2015, 05:16 PM
Will the Dyneema CP hold its shape well? I'm concerned about it being floppy if it's not fully loaded. Still trying to decide on a day bag for my upcoming trip to London in the spring. Thanks!
@ladyinblack1964, I don't think that "floppy" is an issue for the Dyneema Co-Pilot, because of the cube-like design, and piping along the edges, along with the structure of th inner compartments.n Also, a bag has to be at least a certain size before you can start talking about its being "floppy", and I don't think you've gotten to it with the Co-Pilot. However, I'll let others who own and use recent model Dyneema Co-Pilots address your concerns. My answer would be that this bag would hold its shape, but also give you a little more flexibility in loading it up than the Ballistic Nylon version.

moriond

tebnewyork
10-18-2015, 05:27 PM
I recently got a Dyneema Co-pilot and would not call it floppy at all. In fact, when carrying it, I think it looks the same half empty or stuffed.

tpnl
10-19-2015, 09:00 AM
I do not have a Dyneema Co-Pilot but I like this video made by @yohopee (also a forum member) with her Dyneema Co-Pilot:

yohopee's Dyneema Co-Pilot (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xD1GW8Ngzn0)

From the video, it confirms, IMHO, @moriond's comments that the size, design, piping and compartmentalization help the bag keep its shape. It would perhaps have a tendency for uneven waves in the fabric (based on my experience with my Dyneema Packing Cube Shoulder Bag (PCSB)) when putting in bulky or uneven items as it is not as stiff as ballistic but how you put things in plays a large part in this - Dyneema or ballistic.

Hope this helps

Cheers!

Edit: To clarify, my PCSB is the 400d Dyneema limited edition version from a while back that actually has a double layer of 400d in front to accommodate the front pocket.

tebnewyork
10-19-2015, 09:14 AM
It would perhaps have a tendency for uneven waves in the fabric (based on my experience with my Dyneema Packing Cube Shoulder Bag (PCSB)) when putting in bulky or uneven items as it is not as stiff as ballistic but how you put things in plays a large part in this - Dyneema or ballistic.

Cheers!

I have both and they are very different. The PCSB is one layer of 200 Dyneema. in addition to the the piping, the front pockets, water bottle compartment and other construction differences there are two layers one of heavier 400 Dyneema and then interior is the 200 Dyneema like the PCSB.

ladyinblack1964
10-19-2015, 11:17 AM
Thanks for the link to the video! It's really informative, and it was helpful to see that the shoulder strap that comes with it works quite well. I too was wondering if I needed the Absolute one.

I do not have a Dyneema Co-Pilot but I like this video made by @yohopee (also a forum member) with her Dyneema Co-Pilot:

yohopee's Dyneema Co-Pilot (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xD1GW8Ngzn0)

From the video, it confirms, IMHO, @moriond's comments that the size, design, piping and compartmentalization help the bag keep its shape. It would perhaps have a tendency for uneven waves in the fabric (based on my experience with my Dyneema Packing Cube Shoulder Bag (PCSB)) when putting in bulky or uneven items as it is not as stiff as ballistic but how you put things in plays a large part in this - Dyneema or ballistic.

Hope this helps

Cheers!

Muni_Jedi
10-19-2015, 01:23 PM
I have a Dyneema Pilot and have owned a Dyneema CP. I would best describe them and unstiffly structured. The shape holds well when un or under packed but they move well and conform to your shape. I also like that you can get a wee bit of give or shift when packing larger or oddly shaped items.

I should note that as a Dyneema Whore I may be biased.