PDA

View Full Version : Skookum leashes are awesome

Amy G
04-22-2016, 05:56 PM
I tried out the new Snookum leashes I recently bought for my dogs last weekend when visiting my parents in FL. When walking 3 Golden Retrievers at the same time, leashes can become quite tangled and I was constantly fussing with my 6' leather leashes. The bungee leashes make walking so much easier since they adjust as the dogs move around. I am so happy to be able to enjoy my walks and look forward to trying them out on a few hikes in the future. The one improvement I would love to see would be to add padding to the handles similar to the shopping bags as the nylon is a bit rough on the hands. I also debuted my Citizen Canine Side Pockets and they rock too. Sadly no photos as I had my hands full.

haraya
04-22-2016, 07:13 PM
Aren't they?? I got our fluffball one in Violet, mainly because I liked the color, but also because we used to have a bungee leash and over time it had gotten all tangled and knotted, and I wanted a replacement. The Skookum leash totally eliminates the issues that our old one had: since the Skookum material is thicker and wider, and the leash is overall shorter, it doesn't twist up and get doubled up on itself. It also doesn't cut into my hands as much as the old one, though I LOVE your idea of Poron padding on the handle!!

The other benefit that DH noted about these leashes is that the bungee is a very subtle encouragement to the dog to heel. As our dog pulls away, the elastic gently pulls him back, completely in response to the force he exerts, so he naturally chooses to stay close. Brilliant!!

(One thing that our old leash had: the handle had a buckle release, so you could put it around a railing or post without having to slip it over the top of the upright. That might be nice to add.)

Amy G
04-24-2016, 06:36 AM
I also noticed that they pulled less and when the leash started to get tight, they seemed to notice and react appropriately. I definitely appreciate that benefit since I don't enjoy being pulled around on walks.

Darcy
04-24-2016, 11:00 AM
Love this feedback on the Skookum Dog leashes! We're currently developing a longer version of the leash (yay!) so this is helpful.

What I really like about the Skookum Leash is that, because it's bungee/there's some give to it, it gives my dogs just a little more freedom to move than they would have with a non-bungee leash, and I think that improves their experience of the world.

Example: let's say we walk past another dog and Ichiro's really excited and wants to meet that dog. When he moves towards the other dog, there's just enough give in the Skookum Bungee Leash that he gets to experience his natural reaction/inclination to move towards that dog within the boundary of being restrained. He gets to do a little of what he wants while I ask the other person walking with their dog if the two dogs can meet. With a non-bungee leash, he's more likely to immediately feel pulled back or stopped when he moves towards the other dog.

Amy G
04-24-2016, 01:11 PM
A slightly longer version would be great. I use the leash with a harness on my dog so the length is ok, but with a collar I think it might be a bit short. I like the dogs to walk in front of me with enough room that I don't trip over them as opposed to next to me in most situations. In high traffic areas I want them at my side so I can control the situation. Not all dogs we meet are nice.

I also agree that immediate feedback for the dog is important when they get interested in something. Doesn't seem to help much when the squirrels run however.

Edit, just had a thought on the longer leash. What if you make it two sections of bungee with a small flat section in between so there is a good spot to grab to shorten when needed? I would not want a handle there but I can envision needing to shorten things up in traffic and the bungee section is harder to grab.

UpToNoGood
10-11-2016, 03:34 PM
How well does the shorter length of the Skookum work when running with dogs? In this case an 11 month, 40 lb. lab mix who is convinced that every squirrel, car, and bird we pass is her personal nemesis and she must lunge at them all? (Even when using a harness and/or prong collar.) She's also chewed through multiple leashes in the two months we've had her - mostly canvas, cotton, and nylon ones. How easily could she shred one of these and how bad for her would it be if she swallowed any of the material in the process?

Also, any ideas for training a puppy not to jump or nip? Everyone keeps saying she'll grow out of it, but I'd prefer sooner rather than later! We'd like to have loved ones over during the holidays without them getting such super enthusiastic welcomes from our new little sweetie.

Amy G
10-11-2016, 07:18 PM
I suppose it depends on where your dog runs in relationship to you. If you have your dog run at your side, the leash is the perfect length. I prefer my dogs in front of me and far enough I don't trip over them when running. For this, a bit longer would be better. I love having the bungee to keep the extra leash from getting in the way. BTW, I have two 50 lb Golden Retrievers that walk/run with harnesses. They feel compelled to go after squirrels as well.

You might try an obedience class to help you get control of your pup. Look for a local obedience club rather than the local pet store. I would work to get good manners on lead while walking prior to running. Labs are oral by nature and will chew on anything they can. If you don't have a crate, I recommend getting one for times when the pup is not supervised. Chewing on the leash when walking is a common thing with retrievers and they typically outgrow it but you can discourage it as well by teaching the command "drop". If your pup is food motivated, you can teach lots of good behavior in a very positive manner. Good luck.

prairiegl
10-11-2016, 07:43 PM
Nipping and jumping should be addressed at a young age. You might explore videos by Dr. Sophia Yin or Susan Garrett. Sophia Yin passed away in 2014, but I see her name come up often on a positive training discussion group I'm on. Here is one video link that addresses a dog trying to jump onto your lap while on a couch or chair: https://drsophiayin.com/videos/entry/teaching-a-dog-to-sit-politely-rather-than-jump/

Killeri
10-12-2016, 01:23 AM
The video is an excellent demonstration on the power of positive reinforcement. Notice how the dog immediately starts to offer various "good" positions instead of trying to climb the chair to try to get the reward. And you can start positive reinforcement training as early as you like, both to remove unwanted behaviour (a good thing to start early) and train new behaviour.

Ilkyway
10-14-2016, 09:04 AM
@Amy G I took the liberty to change the titel from Snookum to Skookum I hope you do not mind :o

I bought a Skookum leash a while back for our next dog jet to come as a sort of... well so it would REALY happen. :-) The shock-absorband feature is something I realy missed with our quite energetic Ede. He would have so profited from this leash.

Ilkyway

Amy G
10-14-2016, 03:27 PM
@Amy G I took the liberty to change the titel from Snookum to Skookum I hope you do not mind :o

Ilkyway

Thank you so much @Ilkyway, I guess I misread the brand. Now I know.

Ilkyway
10-14-2016, 03:28 PM
Oh this happens, glad you did not mind me changing it :-)

Ilkyway

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UpToNoGood
10-19-2016, 06:49 PM
The video is an excellent demonstration on the power of positive reinforcement. Notice how the dog immediately starts to offer various "good" positions instead of trying to climb the chair to try to get the reward. And you can start positive reinforcement training as early as you like, both to remove unwanted behaviour (a good thing to start early) and train new behaviour.

Thanks to all the above posters for the training tips. I've been tactically ignoring our dog when she jumps, and that has helped. I'll work on incorporating Dr. Yin's treat approach, too.

It also sounds like I need to add a leash to my next TB order for the whole family to use with our pup. This may finally, finally be a way to get my husband to understand my love of TB items. Anything's possible!