PDA

View Full Version : Seattle Showroom Open Two Saturdays in May!

Darcy
04-27-2016, 02:55 PM
We're opening up our Seattle Factory Showroom on two Saturdays in May:

Saturday, May 14th from 10:00am - 2:00pm
Saturday, May 21st from 10:00am - 2:00pm

(Our usual showroom hours are Wednesday - Friday, 8:00am - 2:00pm.)

We'll have coffee and cookies (http://blog.tombihn.com/coffee-and-cookies-at-the-seattle-factory-showroom) and word is that Tom will be there too!

mreh
04-27-2016, 03:13 PM
OMG OMG OMG OMG!!! I can finally visit!! Yay!! Time to make plans to visit!

Darcy
04-27-2016, 03:33 PM
OMG OMG OMG OMG!!! I can finally visit!! Yay!! Time to make plans to visit!

Woohoo!! It's been a while since we've been open on a Saturday, but in the past they've been really fun days in the showroom: everyone's on a more relaxed schedule and there's time to hang out and really talk bags. Plus, cookies.

NWhikergal
04-27-2016, 05:19 PM
TB bags, crew, and possibly the famous cookies too! How can we possibly resist ?! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

doesntmakememadonna
04-27-2016, 06:21 PM
No I didn't check flights to Seattle on those weekends just to see if going there was even a remote possibility. I totally didn't do that. Stop looking at me like that.

vkigus
04-27-2016, 06:39 PM
OMG!!! I've never been to Seattle before; I'll probably never get there again, and I'd just reconciled myself to the idea that I wasn't going to be able to make it from SeaTac to the Mothership in time on the Friday. Now, I'll see y'all on the 14th!

doesntmakememadonna
04-27-2016, 07:21 PM
OMG!!! I've never been to Seattle before; I'll probably never get there again, and I'd just reconciled myself to the idea that I wasn't going to be able to make it from SeaTac to the Mothership in time on the Friday. Now, I'll see y'all on the 14th!

No, that's not Wasabi or Sitka you see on my face, though I'm totally GREEN with envy!

I will be in Seattle in July on a Monday and Tuesday, leaving early Wednesday morning and thus missing my chance to visit the Mothership.

Have so much fun on your visit!

bubmum
04-27-2016, 10:52 PM
Terrific news! Now I'll be looking forward to a visit to the store in May! :)

ConnieSue
04-30-2016, 02:37 PM
I am going to a nursing conference in Seattle in May and actually planned my trip to arrive on Thursday night so I could visit the showroom on Friday. The conference officially starts on Sunday. Now I can go twice!!!
BTW, I'm newly registered but have been lurking for a long time.

backpack
05-04-2016, 08:32 AM
I want everyone who can to go to so that they have the unique opportunity to meet the founder, I met Tom in 2011 and he is a wonderful person.

I came on a weekday, so, many of the administrative Crew and a couple of people from the sewing Crew were there.

I met Darcy and June, lovely, lovely, lovely ladies!

The Showroom has been renovated, so please take and share lots of pictures!

featherwitch
05-04-2016, 06:28 PM
Very tempting to drive up to Seattle on the weekend! I can't tell you the last weekday that I could get off! (and you were open....)

One question, do you allow mostly well-behaved dogs? It's ok if the answer is no, but I didn't want to assume.

Shanisol
05-05-2016, 08:06 AM
I'm totally bummed... I'm going to be in Seattle this month, but only on two Sundays and a Monday, so the store will be closed. I was hoping I'd finally get to visit. :(

Darcy
05-05-2016, 10:07 AM
I'm totally bummed... I'm going to be in Seattle this month, but only on two Sundays and a Monday, so the store will be closed. I was hoping I'd finally get to visit. :(

I will be in Seattle in July on a Monday and Tuesday, leaving early Wednesday morning and thus missing my chance to visit the Mothership.

We'd be glad to make an appointment for you guys (and anyone else!) to come by on Mondays or Tuesdays: emailus@tombihn.com to make that happen. In general, we're at the factory 6:30am - 2:30pm. Exception: holidays, like the upcoming Monday of Memorial Day weekend (we won't be at the factory that day and the showroom won't be open).

doesntmakememadonna
05-05-2016, 11:59 AM
We'd be glad to make an appointment for you guys (and anyone else!) to come by on Mondays or Tuesdays: emailus@tombihn.com to make that happen. In general, we're at the factory 6:30am - 2:30pm. Exception: holidays, like the upcoming Monday of Memorial Day weekend (we won't be at the factory that day and the showroom won't be open).

This is thrilling and wonderful and we will definitely be making these arrangements for July! I really cannot wait! Thank you, Darcy!

(And thank you, @AlaskaGirl, for suggesting this over PM as well. You people, with your helpful ways....)

AlaskaGirl
05-05-2016, 12:04 PM
You are very welcome! elisa

Shanisol
05-06-2016, 08:01 AM

That's great news - I will definitely take you up on that! Thank you!

vkigus
05-14-2016, 02:18 PM
Go to the Mother ship, y'all!!! Darcy and Tom and the crew are so nice, and seeing the bags in real life has seriously changed up my wish list. It was also great fun talking bags and comparing collections with other TB fans. Then do like I did, and take your new Movable Feast to the Pike's Market and try it out.

bubmum
05-14-2016, 03:03 PM
I had a great visit this morning! I picked up the Nordic DLBP I had ordered and found a few more goodies while there. The new Nordic halcyon is the most amazing and beautiful fabric I've ever seen! i will be eagerly awaiting announcements of more Nordic goodness becoming available! :)

Tom and the crew are just terrific. Everyone was kind and helpful and the cookies were delicious! I've been looking forward to my visit ever since the Saturday hours were announced and it was a treat, just as I had anticipated. :) It was neat to see the new showroom and space with the TB history items and photos on the wall. I enjoyed getting to see other Bihnions there finding their new treasures, too. Getting to see all the bags in person was terrific. Thank you, Tom and crew! :)

mreh
05-15-2016, 12:29 AM
The trip to Seattle was well worth it today! Loved talking to Tom and other TB fans! Like others have mentioned, seeing the bags up close really put into perspective the bags actually look and feel like. I am already planning what to get down the line when funds and colors are more available. Added bonus: I think I converted my sister to be more of a TB fan. ;)

meekasmom
05-15-2016, 12:58 AM
more details needed, please.

Darcy
05-17-2016, 01:15 PM
vkigus, bubmum, mreh... I'm so glad you guys came by! Saturdays in the showroom are way fun. The only things I miss are the crew being here and the sound of the factory; maybe we'll put on some music (https://blog.tombihn.com/factory-noise-the-tom-bihn-factory-in-song) for this Saturday (we're open again this Saturday, May 21st, from 10:00am - 2:00pm).

Juanito
05-21-2016, 04:40 PM
It was a typical rainy Seattle day (with you know what color sky) ... so, I dropped by the showroom.

I was one of the first to arrive and had a chance to meet and talk with Tom. Besides bags we talked about one of my favorite cities, Oaxaca, in southwestern Mexico. It is culturally rich, diverse city with wonderful people, food, architecture and traditions. I am always struck by the vivid colors used on the exterior of buildings and in artwork there and elsewhere in Mexico. The exterior of the showroom/factory is vaguely reminiscent.

Attached are a few photos of taken inside. As someone remarked previously, the showroom is very quite on Saturdays. I missed the hum of machines and happy, productive people that you hear during the work week.

And, if you ever wondered: Tom makes great cookies.

Squirrel
05-21-2016, 05:57 PM
Thanks @Juanito for sharing your beautiful photos with us! Hope to also be able to visit one day...

It's very useful to see a size comparison of all the bags, too. I recently acquired a Daylight Backpack and am thinking about a Smart Alec. The photo really helped picture the size difference I think.

Eta:
Gasp! I just now noticed that (if I'm not very much mistaken) one of my photos made it on the mirror "frame"! I feel honored :) . It's the photo of my Island large Shop Bag that was part of the "Your Photos Are Needed: Volume 4 (Summer Adventures)" blog post.
It's near the top left corner in case you were wondering ;) .

doesntmakememadonna
05-21-2016, 06:35 PM
Thanks to you, @Juanito, I'm drooling. It looks so bright and friendly! Also, I just added the address to my phone's map app, and will be calling to schedule an appointment for when we are in Seattle this summer, since it will be on a Monday and Tuesday.

Some people have Jerusalem, some have Mecca, some have Bethlehem, some have the Ganges, some have Lourdes, some have the Bodi Tree.... Ohio Avenue South, here we come!

KatrinkaWinkle
05-21-2016, 06:36 PM
@Juanito, great photos! It looks so cheerful and colorful, and for those of us who are unlikely to ever get there in person, this is second best! Thanks for taking the time to post them.

ConnieSue
05-21-2016, 11:06 PM
Were we there at the same time? Were you looking at the MB? I went yesterday and spent my money, then came back today to spend a little more. I can now say that not only do I drink the TB kool aid, I eat the TB cookies, too. And Tom does make good cookies. I limited myself to one, but it wasn't easy.
Got myself a bunch of pouches, a Nordic halcyon DLBP, another shop bag in fjord and and a few other small things. Looked long and hard at the SA and think that will be my next bag. I'm glad I got to go see the bags in person because now I know that some of them would never work for me and I don't even have to lust after them. I was tempted to get a black halcyon SE, but decided to hold off in case it's ever made with an island lining.
Also had a nice chat with Tom and a couple other folks about the stickiness of the urethane on the clear items, and learned that the clarity is related to the stickiness. Less clear = less sticky. I told Tom about a modification I'm considering on the pockets of my new swift (sewing mesh over them, very carefully!). He came up with a sample of some old urethane they had that was not sticky, but semi opaque. Interesting stuff and I may try it out instead.
All in all, a great visit and I highly recommend that everyone make the trek when in the area.
Oh, and Mark was very helpful and patient with me on Friday. Thanks Mark!

Juanito
05-21-2016, 11:39 PM
Were we there at the same time? Were you looking at the MB? I went yesterday and spent my money, then came back today to spend a little more. I can now say that not only do I drink the TB kool aid, I eat the TB cookies, too. And Tom does make good cookies. I limited myself to one, but it wasn't easy.
Got myself a bunch of pouches, a Nordic halcyon DLBP, another shop bag in fjord and and a few other small things. Looked long and hard at the SA and think that will be my next bag. I'm glad I got to go see the bags in person because now I know that some of them would never work for me and I don't even have to lust after them. I was tempted to get a black halcyon SE, but decided to hold off in case it's ever made with an island lining.
Also had a nice chat with Tom and a couple other folks about the stickiness of the urethane on the clear items, and learned that the clarity is related to the stickiness. Less clear = less sticky. I told Tom about a modification I'm considering on the pockets of my new swift (sewing mesh over them, very carefully!). He came up with a sample of some old urethane they had that was not sticky, but semi opaque. Interesting stuff and I may try it out instead.
All in all, a great visit and I highly recommend that everyone make the trek when in the area.
Oh, and Mark was very helpful and patient with me on Friday. Thanks Mark!

Yes, 'twas me looking at the MB ... barely got out of there without it.

Juanito
05-22-2016, 06:14 PM
Eta:
Gasp! I just now noticed that (if I'm not very much mistaken) one of my photos made it on the mirror "frame"! I feel honored :) . It's the photo of my Island large Shop Bag that was part of the "Your Photos Are Needed: Volume 4 (Summer Adventures)" blog post.
It's near the top left corner in case you were wondering ;) .

This makes me wish I had focused on the photos surrounding the mirror, rather than on the reflection of the bags.

Saltgirl
05-22-2016, 10:18 PM
It was a typical rainy Seattle day (with you know what color sky) ... so, I dropped by the showroom

Hey- I saw that cookie photo being taken!

GoStanford
05-22-2016, 11:27 PM
Am I the only who tried to magnify this photo as much as possible to see all the goodies and any new items being produced? What a great display of bags!

ladyleo
05-23-2016, 05:32 AM
My creditors are weeping without end that I am on the east coast and therefore thousands of miles away from that showroom. Being in the presence of so much colour and bagnificence would cause my credit card to leap from my wallet declare that YES it will gladly bear whatever financial burden I must put upon it in order that I might adopt some of those lonely bags looking for a good home that will give them lots of travel and cuddles.

Yes, cuddles. Zest cat is not ashamed.

KmK
05-23-2016, 07:14 AM
GoStanford...

Nope. You are not alone!

Juanito
05-23-2016, 09:19 AM
Am I the only who tried to magnify this photo as much as possible to see all the goodies and any new items being produced? What a great display of bags!

There's a nice notice on another bulletin board asking visitors not to photograph products under development. So current goodies "yes"; that new mystery Nordic Halcyon bag, "no."

I also imagine that the top secret design work is taking place in a corner of the factory far removed from the showroom. Perhaps, beneath a hidden trap door leading down into a dimly lit passageway ...

MatthewR
05-23-2016, 12:14 PM
We actually prefer behind rotating bookcases. Just remember to put the candle back.

threeteez
05-23-2016, 01:00 PM
We actually prefer behind rotating bookcases. Just remember to put the candle back.

One of my two favorite movies from back in the day! Young Frankenstein and Monty Python and the Holy Grail were highlights of my many attempts at idleness during my teen years (I knew & can still recall dialogue verbatim). Thanks for the chuckle!

haraya
05-23-2016, 01:15 PM
It just occurred to me that the TB exterior is Solar-colored (next to Forest, Sitka, and Iberian!) :)

Kirri
05-23-2016, 03:12 PM
And of course NW sky up above.

moriond
06-02-2016, 10:27 PM

I've got to say that when I keep coming back to view the enlarged pictures in this thread, it's mainly to look at the pictures that are up on the boards -- like that photo of Riley.

I wish that searching the blog and linking those posts had the simplicity they used to have (and also that they didn't complete remove photos that were in the earlier blog post entries so that older links to some posts are now completely dead and can't be resuscitated unless they can be found from a completely different source), but here are some neat recent entries that describe the overhaul of the showroom that started with last summer's tear-downs (https://blog.tombihn.com/tearing-down-walls-changes-growth-and-the-seattle-showroom), was described in a later progress update (https://blog.tombihn.com/factory-showroom-update), and then showed up as pictures just at the end of the year (https://blog.tombihn.com/showroom) -- not to mention the more recent blog post about the coffee and Vegan, gluten-free, nut-free cookies (https://blog.tombihn.com/coffee-and-cookies-at-the-seattle-factory-showroom).

moriond