PDA

View Full Version : Aeronaut - What do you stick in the end pockets?

jonathan
05-03-2016, 01:56 PM
Iím curious as to what you guys put in the end pockets in your Aeronaut. Iím looking for some more ideas on how to make the end pockets more useful to me, as I havenít found them too useful insofar. From my personal experiences, the pockets are too deep to conveniently carry miscellaneous items (e.g., headphones fall to the bottom and I have to stick my arm to the bottom to fish them out), and the chunky zipper doesnít allow me to easily pull out my electronics (e.g., my smartphone) without fear of scratching the screen.

Otherwise, I completely love the bag! Iím just looking for ways to get some more utility out of the end pockets.

Thanks, guys!

sturbridge
05-03-2016, 01:59 PM
Paperwork and/or organizer pouches for stuff I want to have with me but not necessarily access. Like my travel info/reservations numbers. Or first aid stuff in a pouch like bandaids and the like.

capncat
05-03-2016, 02:13 PM
Paperwork and/or organizer pouches for stuff I want to have with me but not necessarily access. Like my travel info/reservations numbers..
same, and I also include an extra luggage tag with my contact info, on the off-chance the one on the grab handle comes off (unlikely, but hey, i like to be prepared!)

sarah_atx
05-03-2016, 02:13 PM
I just have empty extra ziplock bags in mine right now. Sometimes I put my phone when I have the flip wallet type cover on it. Or keys on a keystrap if I'm using it as a gym bag. Don't put sunglasses in a plain organizer pouch because they will get crunched, I probably should have seen that coming.

haraya
05-03-2016, 02:30 PM
What do you primarily use your Aeronaut for? Mine is either a gym bag, on wet days (because usually I use a Large Shop Bag but that leaves everything open to the elements), or a travel bag. So for workout use, I have a Stuff Sack holding miscellaneous toiletries and small items of clothing. I will also throw my belt and phone in there while I'm working out, so that I don't have to root in the main compartment when I go to change.

For travel, I usually put a 3D Clear Org Cube or Clear Quarter Packing Cube on one end, holding my toiletries. The other end might have my Travel Tray (so I can pull it out quickly at my destination, to hold the contents of my pocket, or odds & ends on the nightstand); or a pair of shoes, if the main compartment is getting full; or maybe a hoodie in case I get cold while in transit.

Basically, I use the end compartments for quick access. A keystrap helps - since I know where the O-rings are located, I can just reach for the strap and pull to locate whatever pouch I've stored in the pocket, without looking.

Kirri
05-03-2016, 02:49 PM
I started a similar thread tried to insert a link but I'm not sure if it worked. http://forums.tombihn.com/general-bag-discussion/10185-a30-45-zippered-flat-end-pockets.html

There were helpful replies and also links to other threads that answer this question.

I can see how useful they would be for slim things, but as I'm always caring another bag, I don't use them very much.

haraya
05-03-2016, 05:03 PM
Oh, did you mean the flat zipped pockets on the outside of the end compartments? I don't use them for much - in fact I think I still have the spare zipper pulls in mine. But a small or medium OP on a keystrap would probably be how I get around the accessibility issue. For long trips I'd probably just use them as overflow - throw a pen or spare flashlight in there.

And a couple more thoughts on the end pockets -

Once when I took my A30 to go work out, the far pocket made it easy to keep my wet umbrella away from everything else, but I didn't have much else in there.

And re: keeping track of which end is which - I made some zipper pulls out of different colors of paracord, so that I know which end is "up" (as determined by the backpack straps).

moriond
05-03-2016, 06:24 PM
I started a similar thread tried to insert a link but I'm not sure if it worked. http://forums.tombihn.com/general-bag-discussion/10185-a30-45-zippered-flat-end-pockets.html

There were helpful replies and also links to other threads that answer this question.

I can see how useful they would be for slim things, but as I'm always caring another bag, I don't use them very much.

One of the linked threads that I gave in response to @Kirri's question is @saikyo's Aeronaut side zipper pocket -- which accessories? (http://forums.tombihn.com/questions-about-bags/7137-aeronaut-side-zipper-pocket-accessories.html) thread. Just for your information, many of my linked post or thread answers include posts with other useful links. However, a number of the forum updates, which include changing the hosting site (and the prefix name for the forums), reorganization of some sub-forum names, and automatic parsing of URLs to give the name of the parent thread, all combine to sometimes make the "fixed" old links not work correctly, especially when people choose long thread names. This is one reason why my answer post with links often reference both the name of the user who started the post, and the name of the thread -- so even if those links don't work, you could search again to find the thread from scratch and the working link with the current Advance Search query. I could go through and try to fix these in old posts, but life is too short Ö So I'm giving you the correct working link to an answer thread in this post. There are also automatic ways to compensate for the new formats (like when a Google search or an old link in another forum brings up a result that starts with "www.tombihn.com/forums" I select the beginning and change it to "forums.tombihn.com". Other old links in these forums that were the result of old queries sometimes work if you simply delete the "?" separator in the string, etc. (Sorry for the digression, just consider everything past the first sentence TL;DR and ignore if it doesn't make sense.)

moriond

operator
05-03-2016, 07:54 PM
I use the key strap for my keys and I keep my receipts on the end pockets, usually just the rental car receipt and if I actually got a paper plane ticket instead of using my phone, I stash it there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GoStanford
05-03-2016, 09:07 PM
Advair diskus inhaler & my keys

PaulT00
05-04-2016, 07:45 AM
If we're talking about the external flat end pockets only, I tend to stash a wad of tissues (paper hankies) in one and some disposable plastic carrier bags in the other. Generally the end compartments of my A30 and A45 are quite tightly packed (grooming kit in a Kit or CQPC, glasses/reading glasses/sunglasses in a Side Effect, plus a couple of 3D Clear Organiser Cubes containing miscellanea + charger cables + etc and my asthma inhaler and spacer, all distributed between the two end compartments) that there really isn't much room in the outer pockets for anything else. Maybe a newspaper every now and again!

K9TB
05-04-2016, 06:30 PM
Umbrella and absolute strap when I'm in backpack mode.

sujo
05-05-2016, 04:57 AM
On a recent trip with the A45, I used the top flat end pocket (the one at your head when in backpack mode) to hold a 20 oz bottle of water. It helped that my end pockets were not overpacked. The water bottle was easy to put in and take out and it didn't bulge.

Otherwise, I don't keep anything in there but a TSA lock on a key strap - just in case I need it. I use them mainly as overflow and quick stash of small items.

jonathan
05-16-2016, 05:18 PM
Hey guys!

Sorry for the slow response - I promise that I've read all of the posts! Thank you so much for all of your input. It seems like you guys are mainly holding miscellaneous knick-knacks in the zippered side pockets. That's great to know. I might try to pack the end pockets a little bit less in the future, as some of you have suggested - seems like I might be able to fit a water bottle if my end pockets aren't as heavily packed.

Also, some of you guys mentioned the 3D organizer cubes. I hadn't seen these before, but I'll definitely be picking a few up. They look great!

For everyone who provided input - thank you so much! I really appreciate you guys taking the time.

JaneLane
06-12-2016, 12:00 AM
I keep a Kleen Kanteen with snacks on one end while traveling, and in the other, I keep my liquids for easy access for TSA, a pouch with my charging cables/headphones, etc, and my passport in a pouch with a strap connected to the O-Ring.

How has packing been going? Did you end up getting the 3d organizer cubes?

tim13
06-21-2016, 08:49 PM
In the exterior zippered pocket nearest my luggage tag I keep copies of our boarding passes and travel information. In the opposite pocket I keep my regular wallet and car keys. I keep my travel wallet on my person. In the end pocket nearest my luggage tag is a PCSB which holds my 3-1-1 bag and any other toiletries. In the opposite pocket I keep an all fabric packing cube with my shoes and sometimes a change of clothes depending on circumstances.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

brucep
06-23-2016, 10:00 AM
A sleeping pad.

Kshni
06-26-2016, 04:18 PM
I kept my Pacsafe luggage leashes, receipts, spare straps, and my finger cymbals ('zills') in the little-long-flat end zip pockets. Oh and to remind me which end is 'up' I only put a zipper pull on the top one and not the bottom one to help remind me which one faces out/top.

PrimalMama
06-28-2016, 04:20 PM
When I'm using my A30 as my bag for the day:
In the flat pocket that's at the bottom when the bag is a backpack, I have a double carabiner with a mini clear organizer pouch (which has my MetroCard, NYC ID, sometimes a CC, and <$5) on a handle loop and my keys on a handle loop. In the one that's at the top when the bag is a backpack, I have a clear organizer wallet (with license, credit cards, additional cash, etc), mini Q-kit (on key straps or handle loops, depending on what else is going on) sometimes my phone.

If I'm traveling - tickets, itineraries, a small book, a moleskine, snacks, additional pouches (knitting tools, pens/pencils, small double pouch, small pouch ,etc), travel tray, 3D clear organizer cube, a small toy for the kiddo, etc.

saikyo
09-19-2016, 05:47 AM
I keep my passport inside of the zip side pocket in a zippered small mesh organizer pouch attached to a long strap.

ggottfried
10-14-2016, 03:23 PM
I usually keep items that I will need on a plane in one pocket inside a small organizer pouch (a small battery power bank, headphones, ear plugs, and an eye mask) and detach the organizer pouch from the o-ring before I get on the plane. I also keep a carabiner in the same pocket just in case...I leave the other end open for any small documents or other small things I accumulate on my trip (like receipts).