PDA

View Full Version : Going “marsupial” with the Aeronaut 30 – personal item that will double as camera bag

jonathan
05-16-2016, 04:44 PM
Hey guys! Hope that everyone is having a nice Monday!

I have a trip coming up and was hoping to pick everyone’s brains as to how I could accomplish some specific packing objectives that I’m hoping to achieve. You guys are such experts with regards to minimalist packing and Tom Bihn gear and I’d really appreciate any and all advice!

I currently own a Forest/Ultraviolet Aeronaut 30 and absolutely love it. I have a trip coming up shortly and have been thinking about the best way to take my small mirrorless camera system (Fuji XT-1 with two lenses). My goal is to truly one bag it for both short and long trips. What I mean by that is that I want a water-resistant camera bag / daypack that will fit into the Aeronaut 30. To meet these objectives, I’ve essentially narrowed down my choices to the following:

Synapse 19
Daylight Backpack
Co-Pilot

However, I’m not sure that either of these are perfect for what I’m looking for. I’m guessing that not many of you guys fall into this situation, but are there any of you that use one of these three as a camera bag and pack it inside the Aeronaut 30? My thoughts on each are the following:

Daylight Backpack:

Easily folds to fit inside the Aeronaut 30
However, lack of padding across the back as well as straps means that this might not be the best camera bag
Additionally, how water-resistant is the daylight backpack? If there’s medium rain outside, will the interior get soaked?

Synapse 19:

Should be able to easily function as a water-resistant camera bag as well as a capable daypack
However, can this intelligently fit inside an Aeronaut 30, along with some other packing cubes / organizers? Or is it just not worth it, given the additional bulk over the daylight backpack?

Co-Pilot:

Seems like a great personal item
However, not sure how this functions as a water-repellent camera bag and how easily it’ll fit inside the Aeronaut 30. I would imagine that it’s sort of in between my thoughts on both the DLBP and the Synapse 19.

Sorry for the huge wall of text, guys. I tried to jot down all of my ideas to be as conclusive as possible. If any of you have any thoughts, I would really appreciate it. I’m not sure how many people out there have been in my situation, but I’d imagine that there’s at least one person out there who thinks like I do. :)

Badger
05-16-2016, 05:26 PM
Hey jonathan,
Honestly, unless you're packing very, very little, I wouldn't recommend packing the S19 into an A30. I think if you chose a Co-Pilot or DLBP, preferably in Halcyon, you'd have an easier time.

I don't think you need to worry about water resistance. Both the DLBP and S19 are made either from Cordura or Halcyon. The S19 does have sealed zipper seams, but I took a DLBP in and out of consistent rain for several hours and no water got inside. Unless you're in a downpour all day, the DLBP should be okay.

Also, the Daylight is way more comfortable than you'd think. Don't pack anything stabby or poke-y right up against your back, and you'll be fine. If all you're carrying is the camera and a few accessories, a jacket, etc., you shouldn't find it too heavy.

HTH!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jonathan
05-16-2016, 06:02 PM
Hey jonathan,
Honestly, unless you're packing very, very little, I wouldn't recommend packing the S19 into an A30. I think if you chose a Co-Pilot or DLBP, preferably in Halcyon, you'd have an easier time.

I don't think you need to worry about water resistance. Both the DLBP and S19 are made either from Cordura or Halcyon. The S19 does have sealed zipper seams, but I took a DLBP in and out of consistent rain for several hours and no water got inside. Unless you're in a downpour all day, the DLBP should be okay.

Also, the Daylight is way more comfortable than you'd think. Don't pack anything stabby or poke-y right up against your back, and you'll be fine. If all you're carrying is the camera and a few accessories, a jacket, etc., you shouldn't find it too heavy.

HTH!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Badger -

Thanks so much! This was definitely very helpful! Especially the point regarding the DLBP's water resistance. Would I be correct in assuming that the DLBP can be folded whatever which way? As in, no padding, so it's really just a piece of fabric? And because it's just fabric with no padding, is there any discomfort with the edges of objects (such as a camera and lens) poking you in the back?

Thank you again. :)

Meglet
05-16-2016, 06:12 PM
Have you considered the Packing Cube Shoulder Bag as an option? I'm not sure if you're just picking from things you own, but I've found the PCSB is the perfect size for an m4/3 or mirrorless camera plus 1 spare lens and a few bits like wallet. I use mine with a Jill-E E-Go insert (http://www.amazon.com/Jill-e-Designs-340993-Camera-Insert/dp/B008E0MOC0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1463447419&sr=8-1&keywords=jill-e+e-go+insert) because I ended up with one and it fits the PCSB better than it does my Maker's Bag, but any slim narrow insert should work if you want one. Or, if you don't, you could just tuck the camera in.

Do keep in mind that the PCSB is smaller than the other options you've listed, so it will kind of depend on what you need to carry in your day bag along with your camera.

haraya
05-16-2016, 06:56 PM
The DLBP is very foldable, although if it were me I'd prefer just to keep it flat, and lay it on top of whatever's already in the A30.

Padding for your back: typically I just plan to put flat or soft things closer to my back/towards the straps anyway, and the shingled pockets help with that.

If you definitely want extra padding for the camera, you might look at an insert like the Crumpler Haven. I like to use camera wraps (e.g. Domke or Tenba), or even just a spare hoodie that I wrap around the camera. I have to remember not to toss my bag around, but in any case, the camera is usually around my neck or in my hand if I'm sightseeing. :)

skipper
05-16-2016, 08:04 PM
What else besides the Fuji XT1 will you be carrying? If you decide to carry this camera plus a couple of lenses you are limiting the rest of your bag for clothes unless your just doing a couple of nights. I have a Fuji XPro2 with the 35mm f2, and the 16mm f1.4. I just got back from my trip to Ireland and used my DLPB to carry my camera and lenses but I used my fleece sweater to wrap up my camera while in my bag. I sometimes also use my Risretto bag to carry my camera. But to pack a Synapse 19 into a A30 you will be very limited on the room left in the bag to carry much clothes.

jonathan
05-16-2016, 08:31 PM
Have you considered the Packing Cube Shoulder Bag as an option? I'm not sure if you're just picking from things you own, but I've found the PCSB is the perfect size for an m4/3 or mirrorless camera plus 1 spare lens and a few bits like wallet. I use mine with a Jill-E E-Go insert (http://www.amazon.com/Jill-e-Designs-340993-Camera-Insert/dp/B008E0MOC0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1463447419&sr=8-1&keywords=jill-e+e-go+insert) because I ended up with one and it fits the PCSB better than it does my Maker's Bag, but any slim narrow insert should work if you want one. Or, if you don't, you could just tuck the camera in.

Do keep in mind that the PCSB is smaller than the other options you've listed, so it will kind of depend on what you need to carry in your day bag along with your camera.
Hey, thanks a lot! I didn't know this existed, so very interesting. I think it's a little too small, though. I'll probably want to carry 1 (possibly 2, for my partner) rain jackets and perhaps some water bottles and other knick knacks, so think a slightly larger bag will be better!

jonathan
05-16-2016, 08:32 PM
The DLBP is very foldable, although if it were me I'd prefer just to keep it flat, and lay it on top of whatever's already in the A30.

Padding for your back: typically I just plan to put flat or soft things closer to my back/towards the straps anyway, and the shingled pockets help with that.

If you definitely want extra padding for the camera, you might look at an insert like the Crumpler Haven. I like to use camera wraps (e.g. Domke or Tenba), or even just a spare hoodie that I wrap around the camera. I have to remember not to toss my bag around, but in any case, the camera is usually around my neck or in my hand if I'm sightseeing. :)
Yep! I think that this is the option that I'm leaving towards. I have an Ona messenger bag that doubles as a camera insert - I think this would work! It's a little bit heavy, though - can the DLBP handle a DSLR, water bottle, etc.? without feeling like the straps will break or that the fabric will tear?

jonathan
05-16-2016, 08:35 PM
What else besides the Fuji XT1 will you be carrying? If you decide to carry this camera plus a couple of lenses you are limiting the rest of your bag for clothes unless your just doing a couple of nights. I have a Fuji XPro2 with the 35mm f2, and the 16mm f1.4. I just got back from my trip to Ireland and used my DLPB to carry my camera and lenses but I used my fleece sweater to wrap up my camera while in my bag. I sometimes also use my Risretto bag to carry my camera. But to pack a Synapse 19 into a A30 you will be very limited on the room left in the bag to carry much clothes.
Hey skipper,

Thanks for your response! How do you like the Fuji X-Pro 2? Looks like an awesome camera.

I'm only planning on carrying the X-T1 alongside a 16mm and maybe a 90mm. Since it seems like we have relatively similar gear, how did you find that that the DLBP performed during your trip? Did the DLBP consume more space than you thought it would? I guess my only concern is that the DLBP might get weighed down with all of this stuff (camera, 2 lenses, camera insert, etc.) and that the weight distribution might not be great. But if you didn't feel that was the case, that's probably what I'll do.

It seems like this is the path that most people are recommending and probably the best option to take.

Thank you!

haraya
05-16-2016, 09:14 PM
I just did a quick Google search and the images of the Ona that came up seem a bit heavy to fit inside a DLBP. (I don't know that it will fit - you might want to check the DLBP measurements vs. your Ona.)

Honestly I really wouldn't put the Ona inside another bag. Either take the Ona, and use that to carry the camera and extras, plus a daypack for your EDC. Or, use another bag altogether - say, a Brain Bag, where you assign one compartment to camera gear and the other to your water bottle, jackets, etc.

If you are very particular about weight distribution and comfort, and you have a fair amount of stuff, I would go with an S19. (I would.) If you get it in the Halcyon, it will be pretty light and flexible. Not as low-profile as the DLBP, but: The straps, padded back, and sternum strap will all make a huge difference in the balance and comfort of your carry, if it's substantial. You can always bring it as your personal item, and wear the A30 with the Absolute Strap.

(In contrast, the DLBP is designed to be minimalist. Travel lightly, adjust on the fly, make do.)

Yep! I think that this is the option that I'm leaving towards. I have an Ona messenger bag that doubles as a camera insert - I think this would work! It's a little bit heavy, though - can the DLBP handle a DSLR, water bottle, etc.? without feeling like the straps will break or that the fabric will tear?