PDA

View Full Version : Differences between Road Duffel and Night Flight

cujo
05-27-2016, 07:24 AM
I feel like I can't be the first person to ask this, but I can't find it in the forums anywhere.

What are the differences between the Night Flight duffel and the Skookum Dog Road Duffels? The size-medium RD is just a tiny bit bigger than the NF, and they come in different colors, but it seems clear that there must be other differences. What are they?

I've been eyeing the NF since it came out, but somehow (despite not being a dog owner) the RD feels more my style.

Tizi
05-27-2016, 07:58 AM
I don't have the NFTD, but I do have the Medium SDRD. I have it in black. It is about twice the volume of the NFTD. I love mine. I use it mostly for camping and car road trips. I can fit 5-7 days of clothes in it easily.

Jeff A
05-27-2016, 08:11 AM
I'm tempted on getting a Road Duffel one of these days for camping gear overflow. I wish there was an option to order a road duffel with either a Skookum Dog logo or a Tom Bihn logo.

cujo
05-27-2016, 08:33 AM
I guess I didn't look at the dimensions carefully enough; you're right. Based solely on exterior measurements, the ND is 1,530 cubic inches while the medium RD is 2,349ci.

Perseffect
05-27-2016, 08:43 AM
The RD (Medium) is much bigger than the NFTD. I owned both and found that only the RD would handle clothes for several days.

sujo
05-27-2016, 11:21 AM
The NFTD also doesn't have the cool side pockets in the main compartment like the Road Duffel does. The NFTD doesn't have the one end mesh pocket; all the pockets are like the Aeronauts. It has a halcyon lining; the Road Duffel does not have a lining. And the NFTD has the liner insert that can stiffen the main compartment. It's removal, so it allows some flexibility.

I don't own a Road Duffel, so can only make obvious comparisons from having one and comparing images and descriptions of the other.

cujo
05-27-2016, 11:26 AM
Thanks everyone. This confirmed my suspicion that I want a Road Duffel rather than a Night Flight. Great, I had broken the addiction for a while there... :)

Squirrel
05-27-2016, 03:24 PM
Juanito shared his great photos of his visit to the mothership here (https://forums.tombihn.com/general-bag-discussion/11020-seattle-showroom-open-two-saturdays-may-2.html#post125741)

In one of his photos the Night Flight is lined up neatly with the Skookum duffels (bottom right shelf) and the sizes can be compared pretty well: