PDA

View Full Version : How to pack a puffy coat flat

guido
06-02-2016, 06:53 AM
I have a down jacket that packs down really small in its stuff sack, but it's round and bulky so when I put it in my S19 it feels uncomfortable as it's pushing into my back. I would love to be able to pack it in a more flat way. A packing cube isn't going to work since it's impossible to stuff the jacket into it.

Any ideas?

tebnewyork
06-02-2016, 07:00 AM
Can you give more detail on why a packing cube doesn't work?
Can you keep the packing cube mostly zippered and stuff the jacket in through a small opening?
Can you use an eagle creek one that doesn't unzip all the way?

haraya
06-02-2016, 07:33 AM
I'm curious, do you know what fill power the down is in your jacket? (Higher fill power - e.g. 700-800 = finer down = easier to stuff.) I have a full-length hooded coat that I can stuff into the bottom front compartment of my S19. But my husband has an old down ski jacket which is very bulky and also is made of stiffer fabric, so it doesn't compress very much.

If your jacket is very squishy (I assume so, since you say it packs down small into the stuff sack), you might be able to lay it on top of a packing cube (say, the small Aether (https://www.tombihn.com/products/aether-packing-cube-aeronaut-30?variant=18040959751); or a larger cube, as needed for your particular garment), then start zipping the cube up slowly, and stuff it in as you go. Then if you put it into your bag first, the rest of your load will continue compressing it.

If you can post pictures we might be able to offer other tweaks/suggestions... :)

xsboost
06-02-2016, 08:51 AM
There's always the Eagle Creek compression cube.

binje
06-02-2016, 08:58 AM
I use an Eagle Creek Specter compression cube for mine. A Patagonia down sweater and a rain jacket fit into the larger size and make a stiffish flat package that fits nicely into the bottom of an A45. Not sure how it would work in an S19 or if a jacket alone would fit into the smaller compression cube.

Rocks
06-02-2016, 09:21 AM
It could also be a matter of packing and where you set the stuff sack/jacket in the bag. I'd pack all the flat things first, against the inside back of the Synapse, then use the rest of the space for the jacket.

Denises
06-03-2016, 02:08 AM
I used a Kathmandu compression cell for a longer length down jacket, and that worked really well for making it a space saving and flat shape.

guido
06-03-2016, 06:30 AM
Thank you for all of the replies. I didn't even think about zipping the packing cube up partially and then starting to stuff it in. That's a good idea. I also didn't realize that the Eagle Creek cubes had a compression feature. I mean, I read it in the name but I couldn't figure out how it worked until I saw a video of them on youtube. I ended up ordering the Eagle Creek cubes. Thank you all for your help!

Lani
06-03-2016, 09:07 AM
How puffy is your coat and how much can you compress it? Because my favorite way to compress puffy jackets is to stuff it into a pillowcase designed for neck pillows (Bedding Essentials? Cotton Dobby U-Neck Pillow Protector - BedBathandBeyond.com (http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/bedding-essentials-trade-cotton-dobby-u-neck-pillow-protector/3262183?Keyword=neck+pillow))... that way I can use it as a neck pillow on the plane! You can just hang it around a shoulder strap of your travel bag, too. Or you could diaper pin the ends together so the pillow won't fall off from your strap.

moriond
06-03-2016, 07:22 PM
Thank you for all of the replies. I didn't even think about zipping the packing cube up partially and then starting to stuff it in. That's a good idea. I also didn't realize that the Eagle Creek cubes had a compression feature. I mean, I read it in the name but I couldn't figure out how it worked until I saw a video of them on youtube. I ended up ordering the Eagle Creek cubes. Thank you all for your help!

I use the Eagle Creek Quarter Packing Cube size (1.3 Liters) quite a lot for my clothing items. This is slightly smaller than, but roughly corresponds to items that will fit into size #2 Travel Stuff Sack (1.6 Liters), which holds most items like my down vest ,etc. Here's an excerpt from one of my posts about relative sizes of accessory pouches compared to travel stuff sacks and Eagle Creek Specter II packing cubes:

Here's another reference point, if you have other accessory items like the Side Effect, 3D Organizer Cube, or the Eagle Creek Spectre Cubes. Anything that I can fit into my Side Effect (1.5 L) can go into a Size #2 Travel Stuff Sack (1.6 L). Usually, the 3D Organizer Cubes (1 L) are too small for me to fit these kind of clothing items (I wear Small sizes -- maybe U.S. Women's Petite 6 in tops). Most of these items (like Merino Sweaters, Vests, packable Rain Jackets), can fit into an Eagle Creek Quarter Packing Cube (1.3 L) for me. Anything that fits into an Eagle Creek Spectre II Quarter Packing Cube (1.3 L), can be dropped into a Side Effect (1.5 L) just as it is, packed in the Cube. The Size #2 Travel Stuff Sack (1.6 L) can hold items that don't fit into the Side Effect -- for example, if I pack a Small Merino Wool Sweater into the Eagle Creek Quarter Cube, I can fit both that and a Small Merino Wool T-Shirt into the Size #2 TSS.

However, between the Size #2 and Size #3 Travel Stuff Sack, or between the Eagle Creek Quarter Cube and Half Cube, there's quite a size gap. So in between I use the Small Pilot Packing Cube. I'll excerpt from a post that discusses this and gives dimensions and volumes of the stuff sacks and Eagle Creek Cubes:

Update on the Pez Long Sweater: It's a bit tight, but I can fit my rolled up Small size Pez Long Sweater into a Pilot Small Packing Cube (10.6" x 5.6" 2.3"/ 270mm x 140mm x 55mm; 125 cu in / 2.0 L). For comparison, an Eagle Creek Specter Half Cube (that @trailrunner used) is 10" x 7" x 3"/ 250 x 180 x 80 mm; 300 cu in / 5 L), and a size #3 Travel Stuff Sack has external dimensions (9.1" tall x 6.6" x 4.3" / 230 x 165 x 110 mm; 250 cu in / 4 L). Nods to @adalangdon posts 33 (http://forums.tombihn.com/general-bag-discussion/8318-packing-big-hoodie-post81578.html#post81578) and 34 (http://forums.tombihn.com/general-bag-discussion/8318-packing-big-hoodie-post81580.html#post81580) in the Packing a big hoodie (http://forums.tombihn.com/general-bag-discussion/8318-packing-big-hoodie.html) thead.

HTH. I'm posting this because it's somewhat difficult to find relative size information of packing cubes across the different product bag lines, if you want something "rectangular" rather than bulgy like a Travel stuff Sack.

moriond

haraya
06-03-2016, 07:48 PM
Fwiw, at the last Bihnion meetup in my city, someone showed his custom stuff sack that was just the right size for the water bottle picket in his Synapse. He had someone on Etsy make it for him, but if you are crafty -or know someone who is - it would've simple enough to make up something in the dimensions for the exact space/size you need. (Probably wouldn't be Halcyon, though! :))