PDA

View Full Version : The Synapse backpack: Q & A

Pages : [1] 2 3

Darcy
11-29-2007, 06:38 PM
I thought it'd be good to start a thread dedicated to your questions about the new smaller backpack that Tom is designing named the Synapse.

I'll start off by asking myself a couple of questions I know the answers to (that's pretty easy.)

Q: What fabric will the Synapse be made out of?

A: Most likely the Synapse will be made out of 1000 denier U.S. made Cordura, just like the Brain Bag (http://www.tombihn.com/page/001/PROD/100/TB0104) is. Tom is always finding cool new materials to use so that may change, but probably not.

Q: What colors will the Synapse be available in?

A: If the Synapse is made out of 1000 denier Cordura, it could (not will) be
available in the following colors: Sapphire, Olive, Plum, Cocoa, Black, Steel,
Crimson, Kelly, Navy, and...Cayenne. (More news on Cayenne soon!)

Ask your questions and either Tom or I will do our best to answer them.

P.S. Two new features Tom has just added to the Synapse will be announced in the email newsletter (http://www.tombihn.com/page/001/CTGY/_LIST) going out tomorrow morning. I'll post the news here after the newsletter goes out.

gmich
11-29-2007, 06:57 PM
I'm really interested in seeing the synapse. I was bummed that the sneak-peek pictures were delayed a bit.

One question I have: About how much will it hold? Do you have a ballpark figure on what the volume will be?

Tom Bihn
11-29-2007, 07:37 PM
I will attempt to measure the volume of the one prototype next week - then we will know!

mrae
11-30-2007, 09:30 AM
I'm definitely going to buy this one. I'm so glad you added a pocket for a water bottle. I think it's going to be my perfect bag now.

Foggy Morn
11-30-2007, 12:31 PM
I want one in plum, please. :)

The newsletter mentions a phone/iPod pocket - will an iPhone fit in it? The suede lining sounds perfect.

(Btw, it's the addition of the water bottle pocket that sold me on it. Thanks for adding that!)

besttoro
11-30-2007, 12:43 PM
I second Plum! I might settle for Olive, but Plum is my Christmas wish :P

Happy about the water bottle pocket, too... can't wait to see it.

moriond
11-30-2007, 12:57 PM
I second Plum! I might settle for Olive, but Plum is my Christmas wish :P

Happy about the water bottle pocket, too... can't wait to see it.

Another vote for plum . . . and isn't plum (pudding) in the best Christmas tradition?

gmich
11-30-2007, 01:06 PM
I'd be interested in plum as well since I'd wanted a plum Brain Bag but ordered mine (according to Josh) ten minutes after the last plum one had been sold.

Another question: Has it been decided yet whether the Synapse will accommodate a Brain Cell? If so, what sizes?

BK0001
11-30-2007, 02:08 PM
I'd be interested in plum as well since I'd wanted a plum Brain Bag but ordered mine (according to Josh) ten minutes after the last plum one had been sold.

Another question: Has it been decided yet whether the Synapse will accommodate a Brain Cell? If so, what sizes?

I'm crossing my fingers that I can cycle to work with something smaller and with less flying around than my Brain Bag, but still big enough to squeeze in my 15" MacBook Pro.

Any chance of this happening with the Synapse?

Darcy
11-30-2007, 05:21 PM
I'm crossing my fingers that I can cycle to work with something smaller and with less flying around than my Brain Bag, but still big enough to squeeze in my 15" MacBook Pro.

The Synapse most likely won't fit a laptop. (It might fit really small laptops encased in a Soft Cell (http://www.tombihn.com/page/001/PROD/300/TB0374), but I can't be sure. Might fit the Size 5 Brain Cell.)

Don't worry, though: Tom has lots of other ideas for more backpacks. And there *is* the redesigned Smart Alec on its way, which would fit your 15" MBP.

Another vote for plum . . . and isn't plum (pudding) in the best Christmas tradition?

Very true. We will make the Synapse in Plum!

Darcy
11-30-2007, 05:25 PM
The newsletter mentions a phone/iPod pocket - will an iPhone fit in it? The suede lining sounds perfect.

Yes, an iPhone will fit in the Ultrasuede pocket. Even my Cingular 8525 will fit!

mrae
12-01-2007, 12:28 AM
Any idea on the time frame? I have quite a few Tom Bihn Bags but this will be my first backpack. What's the general design of it: how does it close, inside or outside pockets besides those already mentioned, etc.

moriond
12-03-2007, 04:40 PM
Will the back of the Synapse be articulated segments, like the Brain Bag (http://www.tombihn.com/page/001/PROD/100/TB0104) in contrast to the flat back of the Smart Alec (http://www.tombihn.com/page/001/PROD/100/TB0103)? You can see what I mean by mousing over view d of the back of the Brain Bag, and comparing it with views a and b on the Smart Alec page. Using the 360 degree views actually shows this even better. I know some people prefer the flat back for the ease of stowing the Smart Alec, for example, under the seat in front of you on an airplane.

I find the articulated back design more comfortable on larger backpacks, and this is one of the reasons I'm more interested in a new design based on the Brain Bag (like the Synapse) than one based on the Smart Alec. I also like the placement of the handle (if there is one --- is there?) more centrally on the top, like for the Brain Bag, though for the Smart Alec the placement of the handle just above the back allows you to pull the back out very conveniently when it's stowed under the seat in front, and also works better with the organizer pockets in the lid, and the large backpack space (views c, d, and e).

And a question excerpted from the Small Brain Bag thread (http://forums.tombihn.com/showthread.php?t=1043):

Darcy, do you know whether the new bag will accommodate some version of the Freudian Slip (http://www.tombihn.com/page/001/PROD/ACC/TB0344)? This could be a smaller version, as discussed in the thread (http://forums.tombihn.com/showthread.php?t=165) about the horizontal Freudian slip (http://www.tombihn.com/page/001/PROD/ACC/TB0345) and the possibility of producing versions of this organizer for other (smaller) bags.

Tom Bihn
12-04-2007, 09:44 AM
The design of the back panel for the Synapse is still up in the air: I'm not sure if it will be mesh covered, but may is likely to have some quilt lines like the Brain Bag. The top handle will be placed like the Smart Alec directly above the shoulder straps, maybe padded or maybe not :)

slinstar
12-04-2007, 03:20 PM
Any updates on the timeline? I'm pregnant & my Buzz-carrying days are limited! I've been anxiously waiting for a smallish backpack to replace it (I'm 5'4" so the Smart Alec & Brain Bag were never options).

gmich
12-05-2007, 02:38 PM
Any word on the approximate volume of the Synapse?

Darcy
12-05-2007, 05:17 PM
Any word on the approximate volume of the Synapse?

Synapse

18 liters/1100 cu.in.

Breakdown:
Main compartment 15 liters/900 cu.in;
Front pocket upper 2 liters/150 cu. in.;
front pocket lower 1 liter/50 cu.in.

gmich
12-05-2007, 08:01 PM
Sounds like a great size. Can't wait to see the pictures.

moriond
12-06-2007, 01:21 PM
Synapse

18 liters/1100 cu.in.

Breakdown:
So, very roughly, it's about half the total volume of the current Brain Bag, 30% larger than the current Buzz, and 20% smaller than the Smart Alec (all based on total volume, though the size of the main comparrtment may be of more interest).

bobster
12-06-2007, 10:19 PM
I went to the Tom Bihn show room on Wednesday and was lucky enough to meet Tom and Darcy (Riley, too). While there purchasing my goodies (swift, extra stuff it bag, small cafe bag in navy, medium cafe bag in pine) I was lucky enough to get a peek at the prototype for the Synapse. I have to tell you, it's a totally kicking bag that I can't wait to get my hands on. Probably brown, as it's one of my fave TB colors. The layout of the bag is perfect, and it is just the right size. Very impressive. If you have the chance, go by the showroom. It is so great to see everything in person. It's like being a kid in a candy store.

A special thanks to Darcy and Tom for staying late while I looked at everything. It was truly a blast to see the place where it all happens.

Just
12-07-2007, 12:24 AM
While there purchasing my goodies (swift, extra stuff it bag, small cafe bag in navy, medium cafe bag in pine) I was lucky enough to get a peek at the prototype for the Synapse. I have to tell you, it's a totally kicking bag that I can't wait to get my hands on.

Ooo... those are the ones I've been eyeing! The Swift and the Medium Cafe in pine =D And of course the Synapse. If you say it's perfect.. I really can't wait!

I really want to make it up there to check out the showroom/factory/TB crew. Maybe in February/March...

mrae
12-07-2007, 02:25 AM
It sounds perfect. (Except the brown.) Besides the water bottle pocket, what kind of pockets does it have? Any idea when it will be for sale?

bobster
12-07-2007, 04:01 PM
The one I saw was plum. There were two small lined pockets on the sides at the bottom of the bag. There was a front compartment with a zipper and then the large main compartment. It was a very nice bag. Can't wait, can't wait, can't wait....

mrae
12-08-2007, 09:57 PM
The one I saw was plum. There were two small lined pockets on the sides at the bottom of the bag. There was a front compartment with a zipper and then the large main compartment. It was a very nice bag. Can't wait, can't wait, can't wait....

Where was the holder for the waterbottle located?

gmich
12-10-2007, 09:25 AM
Hi Darcy and/or Tom,

Still anxiously awaiting those pictures, but in the meantime:

Will a vertical Freudian Slip fit in the Synapse? If not, are there any plans to make a shorter model of the Slip that will fit?

Will the Synapse have sternum and/or waist straps, and if so, will they be removable?

Thanks.

Tom Bihn
12-10-2007, 11:03 AM
The Synapse is likely to have either a 1" or 1.5" removable waist strap, and yes a removable sternum strap too (all of our sternum straps have been removable for some time now).
It's quite a bit too small for a vertical Freudian Slip, and since it's supposed to be more of a hiking/travel/everyday pack rather than a computery/techy pack, it probably won't get its own Freudian Slip. Though we will have to see how people use it!
The water bottle pocket is one of four pockets on the front of the bag - it's not an external mesh thing but rather an internal division of space with its own access. It fits the small water bottles that one might purchase, but also the .5 liter wide-mouth Nalgenes.

Darcy
12-10-2007, 04:16 PM
A special thanks to Darcy and Tom for staying late while I looked at everything. It was truly a blast to see the place where it all happens.

Hey bobster!! I didn't know that was you. :)

Thanks for coming by. If you can, come by on a weekday between 9am - 2:00pm: we'll give you a tour of the factory in action.

P.S. bobster has the last Pine/Wasabi Cafe bag. There is no more Pine: sorry!

Just
12-10-2007, 06:01 PM
P.S. bobster has the last Pine/Wasabi Cafe bag. There is no more Pine: sorry!

AAaarrrrghhhh!!!

Well.

I guess I didn't need to have TWO medium cafe bags....

You might have actually saved me. heh.

Darcy
12-10-2007, 07:25 PM
[B]
You might have actually saved me. heh.

Just wait until you see Black/Cayenne in the Cafe bags!

mrae
12-10-2007, 09:39 PM
I'm sold on the synapse. When will it be available to order? And have colors been decided on yet?

Tom Bihn
12-11-2007, 01:32 PM
I'm hoping February or March at the latest . Colors have not been decided, however we will often introduce a bag in several colors and then narrow it down later: in other words more choices early on. And actually Cayenne will not be available in this bag, sorry.

slinstar
12-11-2007, 05:28 PM
Hmm, what about a 32-oz, 3.15-inch diameter SIGG bottle?

http://www.rei.com/product/750087

I threw out all my Nalgene bottles because they can leach Bisphenol-A, an endocrine disruptor. I don't buy disposable water bottles -- everyone should have a high-quality reusable bottle to go with their high-quality, long-lasting Tom Bihn bag :) And I can't make it through the day with less than a quart of water...

The water bottle pocket is one of four pockets on the front of the bag - it's not an external mesh thing but rather an internal division of space with its own access. It fits the small water bottles that one might purchase, but also the .5 liter wide-mouth Nalgenes.

Tom Bihn
12-11-2007, 05:34 PM
Does SIGG make a half-liter size? The Synapse is a small bag!
I think your bottle will fit in the lower front pocket, horizontally though.
Do we know anything about the stuff they anodize SIGG bottles with?

slinstar
12-11-2007, 07:27 PM
Horizontally in lower pocket works for me! Maybe I can put snacks in the upright pocket where a little water bottle would go. The 32-oz SIGG does fit in the water bottle pocket on my older-model Buzz, and fits nicely upright in a medium Cafe Bag.

SIGG does make a smaller bottle, I think 20oz, which would probably fit in the Synapse pocket. And really tiny ones for kids.

I don't know what they anodize with, if anything, but they line the interior with an inert water-based coating of some sort (proprietary, so we'll never know...) The bottles have been tested for leaching any of the chemicals people tend to worry about, including Bisphenol-A and aluminum, into the beverage, but of course, that doesn't say anything about the chemicals we aren't worrying about yet :) They also claim their exterior paints are safe, or at least free of a lot of heavy metals: http://www.mysigg.com/index.asp?PageAction=Custom&ID=5.

I decided to try the SIGG bottle after reading about a test done in Germany: http://www.progressivekid.com/shop/OKO-Test%20on%20Water%20Bottles.aspx

and because I found Klean Kanteens (stainless steel) really unappealing due to their weight, the metallic taste, and the awful sound of screwing a metal lid into a metal bottle. But, if those things don't bother you, the Klean Kanteen is probably as safe as a fork. For a long time I was refilling an 800ml Voss glass bottle ($2.50, wide mouth, and I don't think you can get much more inert than glass), but it was heavy and didn't really hold that much given the weight, I was afraid to try to take it on airplanes, and although it never broke the two times I dropped it, I decided it was time for a new approach :)

Does SIGG make a half-liter size? The Synapse is a small bag!
I think your bottle will fit in the lower front pocket, horizontally though.
Do we know anything about the stuff they anodize SIGG bottles with?

Just
12-11-2007, 09:51 PM
For a long time I was refilling an 800ml Voss glass bottle ($2.50, wide mouth, and I don't think you can get much more inert than glass), but it was heavy and didn't really hold that much given the weight, I was afraid to try to take it on airplanes, and although it never broke the two times I dropped it, I decided it was time for a new approach :)

I have broken 375ml Voss bottles on multiple occasions. Wasn't pretty.

I liked Voss because of their form factor, but the same form factor = a LOT less volume. Now I use the above-mentioned larger bottle as a desktop solution. It works, but still isn't ideal. I am now testing POM tea glasses for desktop, and am looking into SIGG bottles for on-the-go. For now though, I'm horribly addicted to VitaminWater.

See, this is why I needed my Ego - to carry both water + umbrella, or on some occasions, two bottles of water! Got to say though, the smaller Voss bottles are awesome to have in the water bottle holder of the Ego, while it's on your hip... like a scabbard! If anyone attacks me, I could whip out the glass bottle and do some damage!!! =D

Darcy
12-12-2007, 10:06 AM
Very interesting discussion re: water bottles! I used plastic water bottles for a while but don't anymore unless I'm super thirsty and need to buy a bottle.

I bought a Sigg bottle (one of the ones still made in Switzerland) but honestly don't use it that much, though this thread has inspired me to get into that habit! I haven't seen Voss bottles but I have been using San Pellegrino bottles refilled with filtered water for the car. Those are pretty awkward.

Patrick
12-12-2007, 10:25 AM
Hehe, I've put a SIGG bottle on my xmas list ;p

Darcy
12-12-2007, 10:33 AM
Hehe, I've put a SIGG bottle on my xmas list ;p

You might want to know that the Classic Traveler SIGG bottles (http://www.reusablebags.com/store/sigg-traveler-classics-reusable-bottles-p-631.html) are made in Switzerland while others, especially ones with designs on them, are not (I don't know where they are made -- it doesn't say.) I trust that the bottles made in Switzerland are made with some kind of oversight and in accordance with the worker/product safety and environmental laws of Switzerland.

Hugh
12-14-2007, 10:49 AM
Regarding the Sigg bottles, make sure you get the Sport-top or Active top or whatever they call it--it has a bubble cap that flips open to reveal a lockable spout. Even when UNlocked it doesn't leak! They don't give directions on how to use it. Since it doesn't leak water even when unlocked you need to sort of push it into your lips when you raise it up and sip from it (and you have to use some sucking action-the water will not just drizzle out on its own). At first I didn't think I'd like it, but it's brilliant. Easy to use once you've done it a few times. Perfect for going everywhere, hiking, biking...

timarelay
12-17-2007, 09:20 AM
I'm hoping February or March at the latest . Colors have not been decided, however we will often introduce a bag in several colors and then narrow it down later: in other words more choices early on. And actually Cayenne will not be available in this bag, sorry.

I hope that there will be a nice subtle color option, like all black (but with bright inner lining, of course ;) ).

I'm so excited for this backpack! I've been waiting for a long time now. I unfortunately might have to buy another backpack in the meantime, though =/ It's gotten to the point where I really just cannot stand my current backpack and I need something to travel with this christmas break (flying through London and can only have one carry-on, and my Imago isn't nearly big enough for that).

We'll see. Maybe I can put up with my backpack for a few more months. But my back hates it!

gmich
12-17-2007, 03:28 PM
I'm with timarelay -- I'm really anxious to see the Synapse. Will there be any pictures before Christmas?

Darcy
12-17-2007, 03:31 PM
I'm with timarelay -- I'm really anxious to see the Synapse. Will there be any pictures before Christmas?

Maybe, maybe not! If there are new pictures, they'll be of Tom hiking with it over the Christmas break. :)

slinstar
01-04-2008, 07:05 PM
Any news??

timarelay
01-05-2008, 03:31 AM
Any news??

Happy to know I'm not the only one eagerly waiting news. I can't wait to see pictures. I've been waiting for a tom bihn backpack for over a year now. I really hope this ends up being the one that works for me (and that I can afford it).

gmich
01-15-2008, 07:41 AM
The Western Flyer photos look cool. Will we see shots of the Synapse soon?

Darcy
01-16-2008, 01:35 PM
I know a lot of you are waiting patiently for the Synapse: the wait is going to be worth it! It's a great bag, and a really nice size.

Below is an update on the Synapse from the January newsletter:

Updates on the Synapse, Smart Alec redesign

Tom writes:

"The Synapse is coming along quite well. I've been tweaking with the
subtleties of the main compartment pattern pieces, and it's close to
perfect in that regard. Next up: Synapse's organizer pockets!

The Smart Alec is almost done too: the new water bottle pocket has
proven to be a little more challenging than I had originally thought,
but we're almost there. Note: those of you who appreciated the
streamlined design of the previous Smart Alec won't be
disappointed."

Darcy
01-16-2008, 06:00 PM
The Western Flyer photos look cool. Will we see shots of the Synapse soon?

Sometime soon: Tom is working out the pockets and how they lay, etc.

timarelay
02-04-2008, 05:43 AM
Pictures?

I'm sorry to be such a pest about the Synapse, but I've been waiting so long... And I desperately need a new backpack! All I have is my Imago and a backpack that I hate that gives me shoulder pain.

mrae
02-07-2008, 12:23 AM
I'm going to buy one for myself for my birthday- assuming it comes out in March. I'm looking forward to a nice Tom Bihn backpack small enough for me and with a place for a water bottle. My dream bag. Meanwhile I'm using my Lux most of the time.

Darcy
02-12-2008, 02:38 PM
I'm going to buy one for myself for my birthday- assuming it comes out in March. I'm looking forward to a nice Tom Bihn backpack small enough for me and with a place for a water bottle. My dream bag. Meanwhile I'm using my Lux most of the time.

I think both you and timerelay will be really happy with the Synapse. I've been using a prototype version of it on hikes: it's such a perfect size and the front organizing pockets utilize space in a way I've never experienced before.

No pictures yet, but maybe soon!

timarelay
02-12-2008, 04:38 PM
I think both you and timarelay will be really happy with the Synapse. I've been using a prototype version of it on hikes: it's such a perfect size and the front organizing pockets utilize space in a way I've never experienced before.

No pictures yet, but maybe soon!

Ooh, a glimpse of information! :) What's the holding capacity of it like? I know the theoretical volume but... For example, I use my Imago daily, and it can hold everything I need, but I really need the support of a backpack because my stuff is small but weighs a lot, which is why I really want the Synapse. Would you say it's really comfortable and has good support? And would it fit a 12.1" laptop? ( I don't carry my laptop often. Very rarely, actually. But it does happen).

Darcy
02-12-2008, 05:54 PM
Would you say it's really comfortable and has good support? And would it fit a 12.1" laptop? ( I don't carry my laptop often. Very rarely, actually. But it does happen).

The Synapse is really comfortable. I packed it full of clothes, water and other stuff for a 11 mile hike, and never even noticed it. While the front exterior has a pocket that's designed to fit a small water bottle, one can also fit a 1-liter water bottle in the largest of the front exterior pockets, which I found very convenient.

altano
02-13-2008, 08:00 AM
The Synapse is likely to have either a 1" or 1.5" removable waist strap, and yes a removable sternum strap too (all of our sternum straps have been removable for some time now).
So this will be similar to an ID with a regular strap, right? Any chance of seeing the Q-AM strap on this, or does that not even make sense?

Darcy
02-13-2008, 10:28 AM
So this will be similar to an ID with a regular strap, right? Any chance of seeing the Q-AM strap on this, or does that not even make sense?

No: the Synapse is a backpack. It won't have any shoulder strap attachment points.

altano
02-14-2008, 01:14 AM
No: the Synapse is a backpack. It won't have any shoulder strap attachment points.

Oh, duh. Was majorly confused there. Thanks :)

Darcy
02-14-2008, 10:30 AM
Oh, duh. Was majorly confused there. Thanks :)

No worries! There's no pictures of the bag yet, so it is difficult to picture it. Pictures soon-ish, I promise!

gmich
02-26-2008, 07:57 AM
How soon-ish will we be seeing pictures of the Synapse? I'm really anxious to see it (as I know others are as well).

Darcy
02-26-2008, 01:16 PM
How soon-ish will we be seeing pictures of the Synapse? I'm really anxious to see it (as I know others are as well).

It could be one week or three (or more.) Don't worry: there's a lot of productive development going on in regards to the Synapse. Everyone's patience will be rewarded.

slinstar
02-28-2008, 04:05 PM
It could be one week or three (or more.) Don't worry: there's a lot of productive development going on in regards to the Synapse. Everyone's patience will be rewarded.

I vote for one week!

6 months pregnant now and the strap of my Buzz is running out of room to do its job. But I'm still holding out for a TB backpack :)

timarelay
03-19-2008, 10:56 AM
Is there any estimate yet on how much the Synapse will cost?

Darcy
03-19-2008, 05:01 PM
Around $100-$120

mrae
03-22-2008, 06:57 PM
Any update on the synapse? Pictures? Colors? Due date etc.

Joy
03-24-2008, 04:51 AM
Yes, when's it coming!! I need to see it before deciding on the new Smart Alec or not. :)

Darcy
03-26-2008, 05:30 PM
The answers to those questions (and many more) are not far off.

I used the Synapse again recently (on a long snowshoe hike). It's so comfortable, and the pockets are so incredibly useful.

The exterior of the Synapse will be 1000 denier Cordura so possible colors are: Plum, Black, Steel, Navy, Kelly, Olive, Pink, Storm, Crimson, Cocoa, Sapphire.

slinstar
03-26-2008, 11:09 PM
Any idea on the rough dimensions and/or volume? Will it have a single-color exterior?

timarelay
03-27-2008, 03:54 AM
Any idea on the rough dimensions and/or volume? Will it have a single-color exterior?

Single color exterior would actually be really nice. I've found that a lot of the time it's not that I don't like the individual colors. I just don't like the combinations (for example, I really like steel, but I don't like steel combined with any color but black).

As for dimensions/volume:

Synapse

18 liters/1100 cu.in.

Breakdown:

Foggy Morn
03-27-2008, 09:33 PM
When will we be able to preorder? (Sorry if I missed it in the thread.) I'd like one in plum, please. :D

(I keep checking these forums just to see if it's been released. I so want one.)

slinstar
03-27-2008, 11:21 PM
Single color exterior would actually be really nice. I've found that a lot of the time it's not that I don't like the individual colors. I just don't like the combinations (for example, I really like steel, but I don't like steel combined with any color but black).

As for dimensions/volume:

Thanks for the volume info! Sounds like a good size (decently bigger than my buzz, but 3/4 the size of the smart alec).

I tend to agree about the solid colors, although I think it depends on the backpack design. The 2 colors on the Smart Alec makes sense to me, and having a multi-colored Buzz grew on me, b/c the design does lend itself well to the multiple colors (mine is black, steel, & red; I had wanted just black & steel but it wasn't in stock).

With an upper & lower pocket the way the volume explanation describes, it sounds like the Synapse might be better suited to a single color though (or a single exterior color with a different, lighter interior, like some of the bags have). And I'm kind-of a sucker for Cocoa -- never regretted that color choice for my Cafe Bag, and it might very well be my choice for the Synapse, although I'll have to wait to see pictures. I guess I like kind-of boring colors :) But mostly that's b/c I feel like I'm already pushing things casual-wise carrying a backpack to work, so having a fairly basic color is important.

timarelay
03-28-2008, 12:35 AM
With an upper & lower pocket the way the volume explanation describes, it sounds like the Synapse might be better suited to a single color though (or a single exterior color with a different, lighter interior, like some of the bags have). And I'm kind-of a sucker for Cocoa -- never regretted that color choice for my Cafe Bag, and it might very well be my choice for the Synapse, although I'll have to wait to see pictures.

I would definitely still want a lighter interior color =) My two Tom Bihn bags have very standard outsides, Cocoa (Imago) and Black (Large Cafe Bag), but both have bright Wasabi insides.

I love the Cocoa too, but I think I'd like a new color this time because I use my Cocoa Imago everyday.

mrae
03-28-2008, 03:52 AM
I agree about the lighter inside color. I'd also like to know when we can preorder.

Darcy
03-28-2008, 10:41 AM
I agree about the lighter inside color. I'd also like to know when we can preorder.

As soon as the proportions of the front pockets are finalized and I can take a picture of the bag, we can make it available for pre-order. Soon!!

The Synapse may or may not be lined with Dyneema.

Foggy Morn
03-28-2008, 11:04 AM
Does the Dyneema come in a solid color? I may be the only one, but the idea of trying to find something against that dominant grid pattern makes my eyes cross already.

I still will want one in plum though. (I'm thinking lots of pouches will help.)

Thanks for the info. :)

timarelay
03-28-2008, 02:02 PM
Hm. I'd prefer it to not be lined with Dyneema because I don't like the look, but I'm assuming that if you guys do that, you'll have good enough reason to that I'll accept it =)

Darcy
03-28-2008, 05:15 PM
Does the Dyneema come in a solid color?

No: the Dyneema itself is the white part that creates the grid. It can't be dyed, which is why it's always white. The non-white part (we've used grey and blue so far) is nylon and can be dyed.

slinstar
03-31-2008, 02:52 PM
Hm. I'd prefer it to not be lined with Dyneema because I don't like the look, but I'm assuming that if you guys do that, you'll have good enough reason to that I'll accept it =)

I'm guessing it would be for durability. Having seen the corner of a plastic folder sticking through the weave of my Buzz more times than I'd care to admit (you'd think I'd learn never to stick them in w/ the pokiest/open side facing in, since that's the only time they manage to poke through) I can see the value in that :) I could imagine Dyneema lining being really nice at least on the bottom 25% of a bag, where pokey things might otherwise cause harm.

mrae
04-01-2008, 12:17 AM
Any possibility of wasabi? My other bags have wasabi or maybe it's kiwi somewhere on them and I still love that color.

Darcy
04-01-2008, 12:06 PM
Any possibility of wasabi? My other bags have wasabi or maybe it's kiwi somewhere on them and I still love that color.

No: our Wasabi is 500d Cordura. We use 500d Cordura as a lining fabric and only as an exterior fabric on bags that are most likely to be used as bags inside of other bags most of the time. 500d Cordura is certainly extremely tough stuff -- but it doesn't have the body that 1000d Cordura or 1050d ballistic nylon do that help bags maintain their shapes.

Maybe someday we'll have a 1000d Cordura in Wasabi, but not right now.

mrae
04-02-2008, 11:52 PM
What about kiwi? I think my Lux is 1050 ballistic nylon and it's a lovely kiwi color. Or is that color not an option for the 1000 cordura?

Darcy
04-03-2008, 11:06 AM
Sadly, the Kiwi ballistic nylon is no longer available, and it isn't a color option for 1000d Cordura.

timarelay
04-14-2008, 01:01 PM
So... Any new news? :D

Darcy
04-14-2008, 01:06 PM
Tom's making adjustments to the front pockets: stay tuned!! There's cool things to come like a better water bottle pocket, more organization, etc.
The Synapse is his #1 design priority.

timarelay
04-14-2008, 01:25 PM
Tom's making adjustments to the front pockets: stay tuned!! There's cool things to come like a better water bottle pocket, more organization, etc.

Yay! That's happy to hear =) I recently figured out what I'm doing next year and though I won't be a student anymore, I'll have a job where I can still use a backpack.

Darcy
04-14-2008, 01:40 PM
Yay! That's happy to hear =) I recently figured out what I'm doing next year and though I won't be a student anymore, I'll have a job where I can still use a backpack.

That's great!! Congratulations on your new position. :)

timarelay
04-14-2008, 08:16 PM
That's great!! Congratulations on your new position. :)

Thank you!

mrae
04-14-2008, 08:24 PM
Wonderful!!!I'm looking forward to it's final release. And finding out what colors it will come in. I'm thinking of getting the aeronaut before all the breve's are gone (in spite of the color) but the synapse is top of my want list. I'm ready to preorder as soon as that's an option.

moriond
04-19-2008, 02:22 PM

While we're waiting for the first pictures and for the preorder information on the Synapse to come out, I thought I'd make an advance request for colors. Yesterday's NY Times had this article on how Plum, the Color, Is Having Its Star Turn (http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/18/business/media/18adco.html). Just a suggestion, you know.

Darcy
04-21-2008, 09:02 PM
While we're waiting for the first pictures and for the preorder information on the Synapse to come out, I thought I'd make an advance request for colors. Yesterday's NY Times had this article on how Plum, the Color, Is Having Its Star Turn (http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/18/business/media/18adco.html). Just a suggestion, you know.

That's great, moriond! Thanks for posting a link to that article. You'll be happy to hear that we've just ordered more Plum.

Darcy
04-22-2008, 11:43 AM
Update on the Synapse: Tom is currently making clay models of the new pockets.

We might be able to snap a few casual pictures of the Synapse in use soon. What kind of pictures would you like to see of it?

timarelay
04-22-2008, 05:06 PM

We might be able to snap a few casual pictures of the Synapse in use soon. What kind of pictures would you like to see of it?

Clay models?

Any pictures would be wonderful, but pictures of it on different heights of people would be great, as would be pictures of it with stuff inside it to get an idea of scale and what it can hold.

gmich
04-22-2008, 07:36 PM
I agree that pictures of the Synapse with items either in it or next to it to gain some perspective on its relative size would be great. Maybe a shot of it next to either a Brain Bag or a Smart Alec, too.

slinstar
04-22-2008, 09:17 PM
Will there be a claymation movie of the designing and assembly of the Synapse? Please please? It could be just like the clay-worm interludes I used to watch on Sesame Street. I couldn't find the worms but here are balls of clay:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbelQrm-dL4

rabergnc
04-23-2008, 04:01 AM
I am sure I am showing my ignorance of design processes here, but, how does making a clay model of pockets on a bag work or help in the design of a bag? I guess I can see how it might help with the "look" of the bag but I don't see how it can help get a feel for the utility of a pocket in a given spot.

Tom Bihn
04-28-2008, 12:22 PM
Yea the clay model thing is for the over-all look and drape of the bag, but that's all tied in to the utility too: the bag has to look good and work good too!

gmich
05-08-2008, 07:44 AM
Has it been decided yet whether or not a small (say, size 5 or 7) Brain Cell will fit into the Synapse, and if so, will the bag have the loops so the Brain Cell can be clipped in? As smaller laptops like the Eee and the HP 2133 become more popular, it seems this would be a good option.

gmich
05-23-2008, 11:00 AM
What are the chances that the Synapse will be available by early-mid July?

timarelay
06-11-2008, 04:53 AM
Can we see some pictures? =) I'm at the point where I might need to start looking for an alternative (if only temporary) because I don't have a usable backpack at all right now and I really need one. My imago isn't big enough to hold what I need it to and the lunches I now pack to take to work with me and it's awkward carrying two bags that sling over my shoulders.

Speaking of packed lunches... Any chance ever of a Tom Bihn insulated lunch bag? :)

Darcy
06-11-2008, 10:06 AM
Sooner than you think you'll have pictures of the Synapse and a few other things that I think you will like. :)

pretzelb
06-12-2008, 08:17 AM
Sooner than you think you'll have pictures of the Synapse and a few other things that I think you will like. :)

Now you're just toying with our expectations! ;)

As the previous poster said, count me in for a lunch bag too.

Darcy
06-27-2008, 02:13 PM
First pictures of the Synapse.... (http://www.tombihn.com/blog/node/597)

lingo
06-27-2008, 02:57 PM
Looks fantastic. I'm sure that I'll find a way to justify getting one of these once they're available...

I'm liking the external pockets. Fun.

Thanks for the update.

timarelay
06-27-2008, 03:37 PM
It looks beautiful! And I love the external pockets, and I'm very happy to hear it fits a 15" laptop, which means it'll fit my 12.1" laptop.

(am I the only one who's noticed that it looks a bit like a frowny face? ie =( but more spaced out eyes? )

Just
06-27-2008, 08:36 PM
(am I the only one who's noticed that it looks a bit like a frowny face? ie =( but more spaced out eyes? )

LOL! I didn't notice that until you mentioned it, but now that I do, I like it EVEN MORE!

bobster
06-27-2008, 08:45 PM
Great pictures of the bag. Cannot wait to get one.

mrae
06-28-2008, 10:35 PM
Love it. I like that the external pocket holds a bottle as well. I've been ready to order for a while but now that I've actually seen it the only difficult part is choosing a color.

gmich
06-29-2008, 03:17 PM
Looks cool. I'm anxious to hear the details and when they'll be available.

besttoro
07-04-2008, 01:37 PM
Sooooo happy to hear that you could fit an Archetype in there!! Pretty pictures... That means I'd be able to fit my Archetype (13" Macbook) in there. hehehehehehehe.

HappyJ
02-01-2009, 08:23 PM
(am I the only one who's noticed that it looks a bit like a frowny face? ie =( but more spaced out eyes?)

I noticed this too.

HappyJ
02-01-2009, 08:26 PM
First pictures of the Synapse.... (http://www.tombihn.com/blog/node/597)

Is there any chance that the Synapse will have cord zipper pulls opposed to the metal ones as shown in the pictures?

Darcy
02-01-2009, 08:29 PM
Is there any chance that the Synapse will have cord zipper pulls opposed to the metal ones as shown in the pictures?

I'm not sure which kind of pulls it will have - if it does end up with metal pulls, adding Cord Pulls (http://www.tombihn.com/page/001/PROD/ACC/TB0516) is always an option.

backpack
02-02-2009, 06:00 PM
I had missed those pictures!

Beautiful Bag!

calel
02-04-2009, 01:15 PM
ooh, nice pictures. The combination of zippers on the back kinda does make it look like it has a face.

I think what really sells it for me best is that it looks like it fits very well on a female frame. Not too large, not too small. The synapse looks like it will be a great daypack.

Darcy
02-04-2009, 01:21 PM
I think what really sells it for me best is that it looks like it fits very well on a female frame. Not too large, not too small. The synapse looks like it will be a great daypack.

It fits on my smaller 5'5" frame beautifully. It's a pleasure to wear. It's my most favorite day-hiking pack ever (besides the Smart Alec!)

Foggy Morn
02-05-2009, 05:14 PM
I have so been wanting one of these (preferably in plum ;) ). I'm sure the wait will be worth it.

backpack
02-05-2009, 06:17 PM
Ditto for Plum, Sapphire, Storm and Pink.

:)

mrae
02-07-2009, 03:19 AM
I love the way it looks. It doesn't look like it has pockets for water bottles.

backpack
02-07-2009, 11:55 AM
I love the way it looks. It doesn't look like it has pockets for water bottles.

In my understanding, those pictures are of the preliminary design of the Synapse.

Tom is tweaking it.

There has been many inputs on the board and it is probable that real life use (trips to Denali and around Seattle) has prompted him to tweak some things.

I don't really know but I think it is a good guess because many of us have been acting like horses about to be taken from barn to pasture at the end of a long winter. We are impatient to see the final design of the Synapse.

bobster
02-15-2009, 10:36 PM
I saw the original Synapse that Tom was working on when I first met him at the Seattle showroom in December 2007. It is a truly awesome bag. The bag is the perfect size and I love the way the pockets are laid out. I can't wait to buy one of these. I really like the Sapphire color in the photos of the Synapse. But I think it will be fun to visit the showroom again and see the different colors before making my final choice.

backpack
02-16-2009, 12:10 PM
I saw the original Synapse that Tom was working on when I first met him at the Seattle showroom in December 2007. It is a truly awesome bag. The bag is the perfect size and I love the way the pockets are laid out. I can't wait to buy one of these. I really like the Sapphire color in the photos of the Synapse. But I think it will be fun to visit the showroom again and see the different colors before making my final choice.

Living in the same state as the factory, you are much too lucky for your own good :)

I also love Sapphire as well as Plum, Pink, Storm and Steel.

I am partial to Steel lining I find it light enough and stylish, but not garish.

My husband and I need to get back to biking and other fun activities that require light gear.

The Synapse is perfect for that.

autumnmist
02-16-2009, 01:10 PM
Hm... yesterday I posted in the Questions subforum asking for thoughts on a Brain Bag for small women and now I see this thread about the Synapse.

Thing is, it looks like the Synapse has been in development for 2 years, which is totally cool, but I don't think I can wait another two years to replace my old backpack! :) Is there any sort of even vague-ish ETA for the Synapse? Are we talking in months or years?

backpack
02-16-2009, 03:06 PM
Hm... yesterday I posted in the Questions subforum asking for thoughts on a Brain Bag for small women and now I see this thread about the Synapse.

Thing is, it looks like the Synapse has been in development for 2 years, which is totally cool, but I don't think I can wait another two years to replace my old backpack! :) Is there any sort of even vague-ish ETA for the Synapse? Are we talking in months or years?

The Synapse has been eagerly anticipated by many forum members, it should be out really really soon, I think part of Tom Bihn Spring new line up.

Some major factors delayed its release.

Airlines started to be very picky with carryon size and the TSA started a certification for checkpoint friendly bags made in the U.S.A. On the blog, it says that Tom and Darcy went around July or June of 08 to find out what would constitute a checkpoint friendly bag.

The first event prompted Tom to design the Western Flyer and the second to develop a line of checkpoint friendly bags, the first being the Checkpoint Flyer.

The release of the Mac Book Air on January 15 2008 prompted the development of the Ristretto.

In 2005, Knitty members had a contest to design a knitting bag with Tom Bihn. I also think forum members gave their input.

Both of those bags were created, tweaked, constructed and in the case of the Swift, accessories were added in 07/08.

The first prototype of the Synapse was ready last June but Tom wanted to test it in real life use, Tom and Darcy went to Denali just for that! :) (never mind the gorgeous scenery and the tremendous wildlife) :)

maverick
02-17-2009, 07:14 AM
hey backpack,

wow! this is a great example of the journey a tom bihn bag takes before it ends up in our hands! thank you for detailing the development process behind the synapse.

i hope that having a better understanding of the hard work that goes into producing a tom bihn bag increases the appreciation for the products we are able to enjoy!

i guess this shatters any illusions that tom wake up in the morning, scratch his head, and say: "hmmmm, let's make a backpack," and then goes into the factory, creates a design, and has a prototype ready before the evening? within a week, it's shipping to excited shoppers the world around. ;-)

-m

slinstar
02-24-2009, 03:51 PM
Too late, I'm sure, but I have a wish-list item to add to the thousands...

I think it would be great if the bottom of the backpack were lightly padded.
It would provide a little protection for people who are sometimes inclined to slip a small laptop into their bag w/o a sleeve, and then cringe when they set the bag down a little too hard. And it would protect the bottom of the bag against wear & tear from sharp textbook corners, etc., especially if the padded part extended an inch or so up the sides/front/back of the bag.

I don't sound like i take very good care of things, do I? :)

timarelay
03-11-2009, 05:36 AM
Ok, now that I've tried the Brain Bag and declared it far too big, I am back to eagerly (desperately? please? how about April? April sounds great to me) awaiting the Synapse.

Also, I ask again that it be offered it slightly more conservative colors. Just because it's a small backpack doesn't mean it needs to be bright. I would love a black one, or maybe olive or maybe even crimson (red is pretty much the one color I will allow myself to be flashy with). Sapphire and me do not get along, nor do I agree with Pink. Storm is beautiful but I'd prefer it as an accent than as the color of the entire bag. Plum... it remains to be seen if I would be okay with a Plum backpack.

travelwkid
03-18-2009, 01:53 AM
Have we recently had an ETA on the Synapse?

I am getting very interested in it, as I am always a backpack person. Having read lots of reviews of different TB bags, I like the idea of a water-resistant bag (I walk in the rain quite often) that will last for years and years and years.

Travelwkid
http://www.enjoyingtravelwithkids.blogspot.com

timothy
03-18-2009, 02:13 PM
Agreed w/ timarelay re: colors -- but as long as there's a black option, or at least silver, I can accept that some people like plum, chartreuse, seafoam, etc ;)

timothy

Foggy Morn
03-18-2009, 05:03 PM
I can totally, definitely, totally accept a Synapse in plum. (Please, soon?)

Darcy
03-23-2009, 06:57 PM
The Synapse is still coming. As you know, Tom is a perfectionist, and he isn't entirely happy with the front pocket configuration. I think the organization is amazing, but he believes it can be even better - and I can't wait to see what he comes up with.

As for colors....in the first run, we'll probably try:
Plum
Punch
Sapphire
Olive
Cocoa
Black
Navy

And then we'll narrow it down to four colors after that.

Foggy Morn
03-24-2009, 12:43 PM
Is there any way to get notified of when it is available for pre-order? I don't want to miss out on getting a plum one. (In the past, I've found out about a color right after it gets sold out and I've waited so long for the Synapse, I don't want that to happen with it.)

Unless Tom dramatically changes the configuration, it looks like it's going to be just the bag I've been hoping for.

Thanks for the update, Darcy.

Darcy
03-24-2009, 03:16 PM
Is there any way to get notified of when it is available for pre-order? I don't want to miss out on getting a plum one.

We'll post on the blog and Twitter as soon as it's available for pre-order. We'll make sure that you get a Plum bag!

falconea
03-24-2009, 04:15 PM
As for colors....in the first run, we'll probably try:
Plum
Punch
Sapphire
Olive
Cocoa
Black
Navy

And then we'll narrow it down to four colors after that.

No Kelly? I'm a big fan of green and was hoping for a nice bright green Synapse. Olive is far too dull and boring for me.

Audrey

Darcy
03-24-2009, 04:18 PM
No Kelly, I'm afraid. I like it too, but unfortunately, not very many other people do.

maverick
03-24-2009, 04:19 PM
second that - the kelly would be nice!

a navy exterior with a kelly interior would be great as well!

the plum and black exterior will look great with a wasabi interior.

No Kelly? I'm a big fan of green and was hoping for a nice bright green Synapse. Olive is far too dull and boring for me.

Audrey

timothy
03-24-2009, 04:59 PM
Kelly is one of the only bright colors I would be happy with in a bag (as interior, or exterior: a black out / kelly in Super Ego would be perfect) -- maybe people for some reason *say* they don't like it, but secretly do ;)

timothy

backpack
03-24-2009, 06:39 PM
Is the interior going to be Cordura or Dyneema?

Steel is my choice with Plum, Punch and Sapphire unless I can get Plum/Pink or Sapphire/Storm those two together are gorgeous beyond belief.

I don't like green except a very nice turquoise, it can be dark like the interior of the temperate rain forest or light like the southern seas.

Of course Steel and Black would be just great as a second color with it.

falconea
03-25-2009, 02:55 PM
Kelly is one of the only bright colors I would be happy with in a bag (as interior, or exterior: a black out / kelly in Super Ego would be perfect) -- maybe people for some reason *say* they don't like it, but secretly do ;)

I am sure that is based on actual sales. I understand the business need, but I still think it's a shame!

I guess I'll have to go for plum or sapphire. Or resign myself to steel.

Audrey

bluedawg
03-25-2009, 08:17 PM
yay, navy!! very exciting news, i can't wait until this is ready. i'm enjoying my smart alec, but i think i would enjoy a smaller backpack even more, especially if i can squeeze my macbook pro in it. ;)

chiming in on colors: i love navy, plum, and sapphire, and would also be on the kelly team. i'll wait to see pictures until deciding for sure, but at the moment i'd lean toward navy.

Foggy Morn
03-26-2009, 12:54 PM
We'll post on the blog and Twitter as soon as it's available for pre-order. We'll make sure that you get a Plum bag!

Whoo-hoo! Thanks, Darcy! I knew I shouldn't have put off following you on Twitter. Off I go... Wait, I already do. Sigh. I think I've become twitter-befuddled.

Better to RSS the blog.

timarelay
03-28-2009, 11:57 PM
I will probably go with Olive or Navy. I've fallen for Plum, but I already have a cafe bag in Plum now so I think I'd want my Synapse to be a different color.

So it's essentially April. Should I assume that Synapse will not be out in time for me to have one in hand before I travel on the 10th of May? Because if so I need to find another backpack for my trip.

travelwkid
03-29-2009, 03:41 AM
April?

Has Darcy actually mentioned April? I get the feeling that the Tristar is the next cab off the rank, and all the others fall in behind that. After the long wait so far, I don't think I'd be holding my breath for the release of the Synapse in April. I think its more likely to come when its ready, and who knows when that will be...! :-)

timarelay
03-29-2009, 06:22 AM
April?

Has Darcy actually mentioned April? I get the feeling that the Tristar is the next cab off the rank, and all the others fall in behind that. After the long wait so far, I don't think I'd be holding my breath for the release of the Synapse in April. I think its more likely to come when its ready, and who knows when that will be...! :-)

Didn't mean to imply that I thought the bag was supposed to come out this month. I have absolutely no idea when it is coming out. I just meant that another month has come along and I'm wondering if the Synapse will too. I've been waiting for this bag for years now but its at the point where I'm fed up with my old backpack and should buy something else in the meantime if the Synapse won't be out before my trip.

travelwkid
03-29-2009, 12:45 PM
Hi Timarelay,

Yes, I see what you meant now that you have explained further. I just was concerned that you were counting on an April release, because I don't think that's at all likely!

mrae
04-03-2009, 11:21 PM
Didn't mean to imply that I thought the bag was supposed to come out this month. I have absolutely no idea when it is coming out. I just meant that another month has come along and I'm wondering if the Synapse will too. I've been waiting for this bag for years now but its at the point where I'm fed up with my old backpack and should buy something else in the meantime if the Synapse won't be out before my trip.

I'm in the same place. I wonder if it will ever come out.

residue
04-08-2009, 11:59 AM
+1

i'd really like to see this materialize as i'm very interested in something smaller than the current offerings.

backpack
04-08-2009, 05:56 PM
With all the blogs coverage about the Aeronaut and the Checkpoint Flyer it makes sense for Tom Bihn's team to focus on yet another travel bag suitable for both business and pleasure travel. Especially right before the busy trade shows and travel season.

I went to the Tristar thread thinking it was the Synapse, I just realized my mistake and edited my post.

I can't wait for the Synapse too.

I love my Brain Bag and it fits my traveling and school needs but I really need a lighter, smaller backpack for going around on my bike or pursuing hobbies that are not yarn related, I have my Swifts for that. :)

Darcy
04-08-2009, 06:00 PM
I went to the Tristar thread thinking it was the Synapse, I just realized my mistake and edited my post.

Hehe! I saw that. I was thinking...backpack is one of our color/fabric experts here and she's requesting Plum ballistic! :)

Progress, believe it or not, is being made on the Synapse. I hope to post more soon.

timarelay
04-08-2009, 07:25 PM
Hehe! I saw that. I was thinking...backpack is one of our color/fabric experts here and she's requesting Plum ballistic! :)

Progress, believe it or not, is being made on the Synapse. I hope to post more soon.

Yay! I think I am going to go ahead and buy a different brand backpack, since it's basically a month before my trip and this is cutting it close. Hopefully I'll make it to Seattle in July/August and maybe then the Synapse will be ready, so I can try it on at the store. =D

backpack
04-08-2009, 07:47 PM

I think the most telling were the Pink, Punch and Storm and yeah I want Plum ballistic, what else is new? :)

Cannot wait for the Tristar as a big brother to the Western Flyer but I also have ants in my feet about the Synapse.

Do you know when the long handle Steel Shop Bag is coming?

Plotting my next order right this minute. :) No news here either, the minute the Punch Cafe Bags were shown they were on my list. :)

Tom Bihn colors even inspired me for a needlework project.
It even has a name Pink, Punch and a dark Storm.

slinstar
04-08-2009, 11:14 PM
If you have to get an interim bag, check out Patagonia. I've been filling the gap by using my husband's old-model Pocketwire pack (he had to replace it w/ the Lightwire b/c he got a 17" Mac) and I like it fairly well vs. most non-TB backpacks out there. I like that it's small enough for my frame, but I hate that the volume isn't adequate and the zippers are really sluggish (though I think they may have fixed that b/c the Lightwire doesn't have that problem) plus in the old model you can't access any of the pockets easily w/o taking the bag off both shoulders (but I was spoiled by years w/ the Buzz...) BUT, I noticed that they now have something called the Beeline that's almost the same dimensions as the Pocketwire but less tapered so the volume is a lot bigger, about what the Synapse was predicted to be. And sometimes they have good sales on discontinued colors -- my husband paid $50 for his Lightwire, not $120. The Beeline does have a laptop compartment though; I don't know if you're preferring something w/o or not. Happy travels :)

Yay! I think I am going to go ahead and buy a different brand backpack, since it's basically a month before my trip and this is cutting it close. Hopefully I'll make it to Seattle in July/August and maybe then the Synapse will be ready, so I can try it on at the store. =D

mrae
04-12-2009, 03:36 PM
I've been admiring the cork Swift but I really need a bag that's larger than the Imago - preferably a backpack and the Synapse is the perfect size. I might go for a messenger if one were sized between the Imago and ID.
Is there any possibility the Synapse will be offered in cork?

backpack
04-12-2009, 08:28 PM
I saw the Western Flyer on the Traveling Mamas reviews and it looks reasonably small and comfortable as a backpack.

When the Synapse comes out you could use the Western Flyer as the second carry on or use it as a cute briefcase or sell it.

MsMoon
04-16-2009, 12:58 PM
This may be the first backpack that took 3 years to design! It must be good!

timarelay
04-25-2009, 01:03 PM
Ok, just noticed a twitter update saying the Synapse might be almost done! I'm excited!

backpack
04-25-2009, 01:49 PM
All Tom Bihn bags are extremely innovative and steam from an unique concept.

Being some king of a bag expert out of necessity, times without a car and lots of travel.
I know that there is nothing like the Aeronaute, Western Flyer and Brain Bag, which attracts one bag carry-on travelers and students.

The Checkpoint Flyer is eye candy to business travelers, always in a hurry and in need of stylish gear.

The Cafe line and the Swift are everyday carrying implement.
The Swift, initially for knitting enthusiasts, can be used by all kind of crafters, as a purse, or a second carry on.

A small backpack is a small backpack and it takes a lot of brain power to make it unique and able to compete into the larger market place.

The Synapse is even more of a challenge because there are two other smaller backpacks in Tom Bihn's line, the sleek Smart Alex and the fun Ruck Sack.

Us TB fans, we see Tom's genius in every details as we are already Tom Bihn bags devotees.

mrae
04-26-2009, 01:45 AM
I'm a Tom Bihn fan. Still this has been a long wait. I would have been happy with a smaller brain bag. I'm glad it will be finished soon. I only hope the Side Effect will fit in the Synapse. I like to carry a stand alone pack in my backpacks so I can have a lighter option with me.

MsMoon
04-28-2009, 03:47 PM
This may be the first backpack that took 3 years to design! It must be good!

All Tom Bihn bags are extremely innovative and steam from an unique concept.

Being some king of a bag expert out of necessity, times without a car and lots of travel.
I know that there is nothing like the Aeronaute, Western Flyer and Brain Bag, which attracts one bag carry-on travelers and students.

The Checkpoint Flyer is eye candy to business travelers, always in a hurry and in need of stylish gear.

The Cafe line and the Swift are everyday carrying implement.
The Swift, initially for knitting enthusiasts, can be used by all kind of crafters, as a purse, or a second carry on.

A small backpack is a small backpack and it takes a lot of brain power to make it unique and able to compete into the larger market place.

The Synapse is even more of a challenge because there are two other smaller backpacks in Tom Bihn's line, the sleek Smart Alex and the fun Ruck Sack.

Us TB fans, we see Tom's genius in every details as we are already Tom Bihn bags devotees.

Sorry, I think that came out wrong. I haven't been a Bihn fan nearly long enough to be allowed to complain about any kind of wait!

Really, I was referring to the caption under the EB, "The Empire Builder took three years to design. Find out why." It certainly makes me want to check it out! I can only imagine a similar caption under the new Synapse.

In other words, I can't wait to check it out!

MsMoon
04-28-2009, 03:54 PM
And I'm still hoping that the note on Twitter the other day saying the new configuration of pockets works really well means the bag is very near pre-order day. I can just imagine Synapse Day will be just as big of a blog holiday as Tri-Star Day!!

mrae
04-28-2009, 09:18 PM
And I'm still hoping that the note on Twitter the other day saying the new configuration of pockets works really well means the bag is very near pre-order day. I can just imagine Synapse Day will be just as big of a blog holiday as Tri-Star Day!!

Agreed. Not complaining either. Everything I've gotten from Tom Bihn has been perfect. I just don't want to invest in any kind of backpack until the synapse comes out. I think my impatience came across as complaining.

maverick
05-11-2009, 01:56 PM
hi,

i know that the synapse may have been revised since the pictures (http://www.tombihn.com/blog/node/597) were posted in the blog, but i noticed the webbing handle on top and thought that it would be very cool to have a handle with poron foam. the comfort it provides even for brief time you'll spend grabbing the synapse by the handle (relative to the time you'll be carrying it by the straps) will be wonderful.

JoelSmith
06-03-2009, 10:53 AM
Just checking in to see if there's any news.

bluedawg
06-03-2009, 11:20 AM
i've been wondering too, now, where the synapse is in the grand queue. :)

timarelay
06-03-2009, 04:22 PM
Me too! It's looking like I will be in Seattle late July, and I'm wondering if the Synapse will be out by then so I can actually try it on in the store.

gmich
06-05-2009, 12:15 PM
I'm definitely still interested in Synapse news, too -- it's been a long wait but my hopes are still high.

Darcy
06-05-2009, 01:17 PM
It's still coming. Tom redesigned the front pocket configuration, which I was initially sad about as I love the front pockets, but as always, he was right and they're even better than before. I love hiking with this bag more than any I've ever used. It's just the most perfect size and it's so lightweight and comfortable. Once it arrives, you'll forget you had to wait this long! :)

maverick
06-05-2009, 01:58 PM
hey darcy,

the original pocket configuration looked pretty cool in the pictures in the blog (http://www.tombihn.com/blog/node/597). it looked like a combination of the pocket configuration on the brain bag (http://www.tombihn.com/page/001/PROD/100/TB0104) and the packing cube backpack (http://www.tombihn.com/page/001/PROD/100/TB0925) that had been internalized into the overall shell of the synapse.

looking forward to seeing how tom has revised it!

It's still coming. Tom redesigned the front pocket configuration, which I was initially sad about as I love the front pockets, but as always, he was right and they're even better than before. I love hiking with this bag more than any I've ever used. It's just the most perfect size and it's so lightweight and comfortable. Once it arrives, you'll forget you had to wait this long! :)

Foggy Morn
06-08-2009, 12:56 PM
I saw a TB Twitter mention of being able to see the Synapse in the store today. Any chance of some pics for those of us not in Seattle? (Please, oh, please???)

And the most important question - any idea when we'll be able to preorder it?

keb
06-09-2009, 09:14 AM
Anyone see the Synapse in person?

Darcy
06-10-2009, 11:47 AM
I saw a TB Twitter mention of being able to see the Synapse in the store today. Any chance of some pics for those of us not in Seattle? (Please, oh, please???)

And the most important question - any idea when we'll be able to preorder it?

Sorry...we're going to wait for the next sample before we take pictures. The one that we have is the one I've been using for hiking and...I've spilled coffee in it and done all kinds of horrible things to it. But there should be a new sample soon! And pre-order..within three weeks, I'd say!

slinstar
06-10-2009, 03:04 PM
Cool! Glad I picked today of all days to see if there was an update :) I am hating my temporary hand-me-down bag.

Darcy
06-10-2009, 03:05 PM
Now I'm hearing I may have been a little optimistic....there's a really cool feature Tom may be adding to the Synapse that may delay it a little longer.

residue
06-10-2009, 03:55 PM
i'd like to pre pre order :)

maverick
06-10-2009, 04:04 PM
hey darcy,

i'm very excitedly looking forward to the synapse!

in the mean time, we need to find a spill proof coffee cup for you! :D

katiya
06-16-2009, 12:51 PM
I'll check out the Synapse when I am at the Bihn store today but all I have is a suck cell phone camera since I hate cameras. (My mom said if she knew how cross strange I'd turn out she would of named me Moody.) My husband is away until tomorrow otherwise I could of used his digital camera! I'm sure someone else will take the liberty though.

I think the synapse is the only backpack that could have me changing my mind about backpacks. I find them annoying and confounding. It's either a messenger bag or a too big grandma purse for me and I gave that up a long while back because of shoulder issues. I'm thinking instead of a shop bag a utility bag may be a better choice for me.

moriond
06-16-2009, 02:29 PM
I'll check out the Synapse when I am at the Bihn store today but all I have is a suck cell phone camera since I hate cameras.
It's probably too much to hope for, but see whether they have a Synapse mock-up model in indigo. I know I've been saying that I want to order the Synapse in plum, and I'll probably stick with that color, but now that I have an indigo Tri-Star . . . The Synapse is down as the Tom Bihn bag I've been most wanting to order -- more than the Tri-Star I've just received, and definitely for a longer time.

P.S. Thanks for returning the subject posts back to the original topic of the thread.

Darcy
06-17-2009, 10:41 AM
I've moved the travel mug discussion to a new thread - here! (http://forums.tombihn.com/showthread.php?p=12870)

katiya
06-17-2009, 11:26 AM
Sorry moriond and others

I was so enthralled with picking out my cafe bag and side effect and looking over the indigo Tri-Star that I totally forgot about the Synapse and if they even had any on hand. I did not see one on the counter though. I was checking over a utility bag as well and I'll likely get one of those the next time. I also had lovely conversation with Tom and a lady I never did catch the name of but she has a few new lovely goodies as well. I've been sworn to secrecy lest anyone get in a bit of trouble :)

I'm not much for backpacks is likely why I plum forgot! The indigo Tri-Star does seem bright to me but I'm a silver and black kind of girl. (No Raiders jokes please) I did hear the clear yellow clear packing cube lot will likely be the last of its kind though. Only the colour not the cubes :)

It was nice to see the watermelon cafe bag looked like a Now and Later type shade instead of the neon I envisioned online.

timarelay
06-24-2009, 04:35 PM
Twitter says finished Synapse might be next? Yay! How about in four weeks? =D If all goes well I'll be in Seattle late July. It would be awesome if I could buy a Synapse (or at least try one on) while I'm there.

Darcy
06-24-2009, 04:39 PM
Twitter says finished Synapse might be next? Yay! How about in four weeks? =D If all goes well I'll be in Seattle late July. It would be awesome if I could buy a Synapse (or at least try one on) while I'm there.

Here's to hoping! Tom has a really cool new solution for the back of the bag...

timarelay
06-24-2009, 04:54 PM
Here's to hoping! Tom has a really cool new solution for the back of the bag...

The back of the bag? Curiouser and curiouser.

Foggy Morn
06-25-2009, 01:19 PM
Yay! Saw about the Synapse on Twitter, too. Can't wait!

mrae
07-02-2009, 12:49 AM
What's the current status?

Darcy
07-06-2009, 10:48 AM
What's the current status?

I'm hoping to share some news this week. The Synapse is now the highest priority!

residue
07-06-2009, 11:35 AM
I'm hoping to share some news this week. The Synapse is now the highest priority!

hooray. now i'll be checking every 3 hours instead of just once a day. thanks for the update!

slinstar
07-06-2009, 10:47 PM
Whee! I always get antsy for news on just the right day :)

mrae
07-06-2009, 11:30 PM
I hope that a week is defined as: by Friday.

timarelay
07-07-2009, 04:21 AM

I'm going to be in Seattle (well, Bellevue) for two weeks starting next Friday... If I can pick up a Synapse while I'm there, I'll be a very happy camper!

Darcy
07-08-2009, 03:03 PM
I'm going to be in Seattle (well, Bellevue) for two weeks starting next Friday... If I can pick up a Synapse while I'm there, I'll be a very happy camper!

Which Tuesday or Wednesday while you're in Seattle would be good for you to come by the factory/store? Between 12pm - 6pm? (If you come before 3 you can see the factory!) We're planning to open the store before the next scheduled opening (August 4th) and it'd be great if it coincides with your trip. You may be the first person to see the new Synapse!

timarelay
07-08-2009, 05:26 PM
Which Tuesday or Wednesday while you're in Seattle would be good for you to come by the factory/store? Between 12pm - 6pm? (If you come before 3 you can see the factory!) We're planning to open the store before the next scheduled opening (August 4th) and it'd be great if it coincides with your trip. You may be the first person to see the new Synapse!

Any day while I'm there is good for me! I'm visiting my boyfriend but he's doing an internship, so during business hours I'm free to do whatever I want and go wherever! :D So I guess the 21st/22nd and the 28th/29th would all be wonderful. I would have loved the drag him along but I don't think that'll be possible.

Darcy
07-09-2009, 11:43 AM
Any day while I'm there is good for me! I'm visiting my boyfriend but he's doing an internship, so during business hours I'm free to do whatever I want and go wherever! :D So I guess the 21st/22nd and the 28th/29th would all be wonderful. I would have loved the drag him along but I don't think that'll be possible.

Well, in that case, would Monday the 20th work? We will open the store that day from 3-6pm, but you would be welcome to come earlier - between 11am -3pm, if you want to see the factory. Email me soon and we can arrange the details. :)

timarelay
07-09-2009, 04:41 PM
Well, in that case, would Monday the 20th work? We will open the store that day from 3-6pm, but you would be welcome to come earlier - between 11am -3pm, if you want to see the factory. Email me soon and we can arrange the details. :)

Great! Monday the 20th it is. I'll be sending an email your way soon.

mrae
07-13-2009, 09:22 PM
Now that it's just about done can you post the specs?

Darcy
07-16-2009, 01:59 PM
You have all been so patient! Tom is sewing a new prototype right now. Hopefully I'll be able to take a picture. :)

maverick
07-17-2009, 06:36 PM
You have all been so patient! Tom is sewing a new prototype right now. Hopefully I'll be able to take a picture. :)

hey darcy,

that is fantastic! i can't wait to get my hands on it!

Darcy
07-18-2009, 12:27 PM
hey darcy,

that is fantastic! i can't wait to get my hands on it!

It should be finished by late Monday!

Darcy
07-20-2009, 05:12 PM
Tom just took this iPhone picture of the Synapse he's sewing together.

Darcy
07-20-2009, 05:15 PM
Another...

maverick
07-20-2009, 06:04 PM
wow! so the indigo part is a detachable compartment?

can we see more pictures please? when can i get my hands on this beautiful design?

thanks!

residue
07-20-2009, 06:06 PM
Tom just took this iPhone picture of the Synapse he's sewing together.

i like it so far. is that the upside down backstrap side of the bag? i've been rotating my neck for five minutes trying to figure it out.

falconea
07-21-2009, 12:49 AM
It's undersized - throw it back and let it grow bigger! :+>

Audrey

Darcy
07-21-2009, 10:59 AM
They're pieces that haven't been sewn together yet to form a complete bag.....I hope to post pictures of the completed bag soon. :)

maverick
07-21-2009, 11:13 AM
They're pieces that haven't been sewn together yet to form a complete bag.....I hope to post pictures of the completed bag soon. :)

aaah... that's what i get for looking at this excitedly on my iphone :)

still, a removable pouch would be a cool idea!

Darcy
07-22-2009, 02:52 PM
Volume: total 19 liters (1160 cu.in.)

Front pockets only (all four combined - too small to measure separately by the ASTM standard): 6 liters (360 cu.in.)

Main compartment only: 13 liters (800 cu.in.)

Over-all external measures:
390mm (15.3") tall
280mm (11") wide
200mm (7.9") thick

maverick
07-22-2009, 02:57 PM
Volume: total 19 liters (1160 cu.in.)

Front pockets only (all four combined - too small to measure separately by the ASTM standard): 6 liters (360 cu.in.)

Main compartment only: 13 liters (800 cu.in.)

Over-all external measures:
390mm (15.3") tall
280mm (11") wide
200mm (7.9") thick

great darcy!

let's see it!! :)

JoelSmith
07-23-2009, 09:06 AM
So when can we put in a pre-order?

phobia
07-23-2009, 03:18 PM
Want.

Can we influence initial color selections?

(And, of course: when can I pre-order?)

Darcy
07-23-2009, 03:21 PM
It will be available for pre-order as soon as we're certain of a ship date. It will be made out of 1000d Cordura, and will likely be available in the following colors: Indigo, Steel, Black, Olive, and Plum, but that hasn't been decided for sure just yet.

pontefract
07-23-2009, 03:27 PM
Thanks for the pictures! It looks great! I love the addition of the two small top pockets. Is there an estimate yet of what the cost might be?

mrae
07-23-2009, 03:27 PM
I can't visualize. Can someone compare it's size, width, depth to the other TB bags? Or are there new pics? I can't find them.

pontefract
07-23-2009, 03:31 PM
the pictures and specs are on the blog.

yeti
07-23-2009, 03:45 PM
Cute! I like the height and width, but it's a bit thicker than I would find comfortable (I'm small-framed, and I tend to prefer backpacks that are about 4-5 inches thick). By chance, are there cinch-down straps on the sides of the pack that would allow one to bring the load closer to one's back, like on the Brain Bag?

Darcy
07-23-2009, 03:48 PM
Cute! I like the height and width, but it's a bit thicker than I would find comfortable (I'm small-framed, and I tend to prefer backpacks that are about 4-5 inches thick). By chance, are there cinch-down straps on the sides of the pack that would allow one to bring the load closer to one's back, like on the Brain Bag?

No cinch straps. We did test the Synapse on a quick trip we'll blog about tomorrow and on that trip, a friend who is about 5'1" and small-framed wore the bag (which was fully packed.) It looked great on her, and she loved wearing it - so maybe it will work for you, too! Tom (who is 6'0") mainly wore the bag.

phobia
07-23-2009, 03:49 PM
I'd love a steel front and kiwi interior. (Isn't kiwi a 1000d color?)

falconea
07-23-2009, 03:54 PM
Can we influence initial color selections?

Darcey - Kelly would be a nice option - what's the minimum number you can make in one colour? If you could get pre-orders for the right number could a Kelly be possible? Even if you just offer the pre-order for a few days and then make the right number?

My husband will want the Indigo one and we definitely don't want 2 in the same colour!

Anyway, a specific question about size: our lunchboxes are 150 x 195 mm and we need them to sit flat in the backpack (on top of other things if necessary to create a flat base). Will it fit? It should from the outer measurements. I also need to fit in A4 papers (or a large pouch), flat. Will that fit?

Audrey

Darcy
07-23-2009, 03:56 PM
The Synapse will be lined with Dyneema/nylon rip-stop (Steel or Solar) so that it is as lightweight as possible. Steel/Solar would be kind-of close to Steel/Kiwi! :) And Kiwi is actually 1050 denier ballistic nylon.

travelwkid
07-23-2009, 04:00 PM
Hi Darcy,

So what does the bag weigh?

It has a lovely streamlined look!

Foggy Morn
07-23-2009, 05:59 PM
The Synapse will be lined with Dyneema/nylon rip-stop (Steel or Solar) so that it is as lightweight as possible. Steel/Solar would be kind-of close to Steel/Kiwi! :) And Kiwi is actually 1050 denier ballistic nylon.

Oh, Plum and Solar!!! Spectacular!

(I don't suppose we can pre-pre-order.) lol

maverick
07-23-2009, 07:33 PM
i just saw the latest pictures on the blog - very sharp! it's nice to have seen the pictures of the synapse as tom was putting it together and not to see a more complete picture!

so that front compartment isn't a removable compartment after all :D

yeti
07-23-2009, 07:39 PM
No cinch straps. We did test the Synapse on a quick trip we'll blog about tomorrow and on that trip, a friend who is about 5'1" and small-framed wore the bag (which was fully packed.) It looked great on her, and she loved wearing it - so maybe it will work for you, too! Tom (who is 6'0") mainly wore the bag.

Hopefully you have pictures of the Synapse on your small-framed friend! I'd like to see what a full load looks like on her. If it looks promisingly comfortable, I may consider testing it (too bad I'm not closer to Seattle!). Good backpacks are hard to find.

The Synapse looks clean and sleek ...cinch straps don't belong, aesthetically. So while I would have appreciated them, I understand why they didn't make the cut.

maverick
07-23-2009, 07:46 PM
Oh, Plum and Solar!!! Spectacular!

yes, plum/solar would be nice!

other beautiful combinations...

indigo/solar, navy/solar, steel/solar, crimson/steel, black/steel.

will you also be doing the synapse with a 500d cordura interior? wasabi is one of my favorite colors in the 500d cordura fabric. plum/wasabi and olive/wasabi are beautiful combinations!

thorn
07-24-2009, 06:28 AM
Just looked at the pictures and wow, that is a lot of exposed zipper on top. Not even a fabric flap-over? I know they're water resistant zippers, but I still wouldn't want bird poop to make its way into the zipper.

BigMikeD.
07-24-2009, 09:49 AM
Just looked at the pictures and wow, that is a lot of exposed zipper on top. Not even a fabric flap-over? I know they're water resistant zippers, but I still wouldn't want bird poop to make its way into the zipper.

I'm not sure the probability of bird poop landing directly on the zipper of a backpack (that provides a target measuring only 11" x 8") is high enough to justify a complete redesign of this perfectly lovely item.

timarelay
07-24-2009, 09:53 AM
(Almost) just in time for medical school! I think I might have to be boring and get one in black or steel, so it looks vaguely professional (as much as a backpack can look professional). Or maybe I'll go for Olive. But probably black... We'll see! I can't wait to see the bag in person.

pontefract
07-24-2009, 10:15 AM
funny - I was thinking about getting this for medical school too for a backpack's better weight distribution, but debating whether a messenger/briefcase type bag would look more professional.

mplsnst
07-24-2009, 10:30 AM
yes, plum/solar would be nice!

other beautiful combinations...

indigo/solar, navy/solar, steel/solar, crimson/steel, black/steel.

will you also be doing the synapse with a 500d cordura interior? wasabi is one of my favorite colors in the 500d cordura fabric. plum/wasabi and olive/wasabi are beautiful combinations!

Steel/Steel! Plausibly professional, but still set apart from the horde of black backpacks in the financial district.

maverick
07-24-2009, 11:29 AM
I'm not sure the probability of bird poop landing directly on the zipper of a backpack (that provides a target measuring only 11" x 8") is high enough to justify a complete redesign of this perfectly lovely item.

i've seen bird poop hit two bags (separate instances, not at the same time). in one case, it landed square on the zipper.

given the low probability of me being witness to such an event again, i feel confident that i don't need to worry about my synapse getting hit! :)

Darcy
07-24-2009, 11:45 AM
Considering that various TOM BIHN bags have (and have had for many years) splash-proof zippers around the top of the bag and we've not heard of problems of rain getting in let alone bird poop, I don't think this is something to be concerned about.

BigMikeD - Have you come in yet for a 2XXLT Brain Cell? They're in-stock!

residue
07-24-2009, 12:40 PM
how do the dimensions of this synapse compare to those of the earlier prototype? is the original proto for sale?

thorn
07-24-2009, 12:52 PM
Think I want to walk next to Maverick whenever I carry a backpack from now on! :) I was trying to compare the Synapse with the Brain Bag online and couldn't figure out why the Brain Bag had shoulder straps on both sides, then I realized those are pockets on the non-black side! A couple more pictures clarifying this might be good. So the Synapse is half the size of the Brain Bag and pockets in different locations. Are there any other differences that are not apparent to me at the moment?

maverick
07-24-2009, 12:54 PM
Think I want to walk next to Maverick whenever I carry a backpack from now on! :)

absolutely! anytime, thorn. :)

Darcy
07-24-2009, 01:28 PM
how do the dimensions of this synapse compare to those of the earlier prototype? is the original proto for sale?

The Synapse has always been this size. The original prototype isn't available..it has been torn apart and re-sewn several times, and is now forever torn apart.

BigMikeD.
07-24-2009, 02:28 PM
BigMikeD - Have you come in yet for a 2XXLT Brain Cell? They're in-stock!

No, I missed the last "open store" day but I'll make sure to make the next one. Try not to sell them all between now and then ;)

timarelay
07-24-2009, 05:05 PM
funny - I was thinking about getting this for medical school too for a backpack's better weight distribution, but debating whether a messenger/briefcase type bag would look more professional.

Most people will have messengers and briefcases, I think. I already have an Imago in cocoa/wasabi that's my daily bag, and a medium cafe bag in plum/wasabi as my travel bag. I need a small backpack for times when I need to carry a bit more weight but not much more volume, which is why I want the Synapse. It will probably mostly be a travel bag (maybe a shopping bag too?) but I still want to make sure it looks professional should I have need to ever take a backpack into the hospital with me or something.

I worked in a hospital/research center this past year, and you do mostly see messengers, but you will see the occasional backpack, so it's not completely out of the ordinary. And you definitely see them on the med students.

gorkon
07-30-2009, 09:38 AM
I'd love this bag! Solar Dyneema inside is what I would want as most bags are dark inside. The solar color is just so bright and it's easy to find things in the bottom of the bag.

MsMoon
07-30-2009, 04:23 PM
Timarelay, my boss is a neurosurgeon and the only bag he ever carries is a backpack. So there's one more vote for the professionalism of a backpack.

timarelay
07-30-2009, 11:32 PM
Timarelay, my boss is a neurosurgeon and the only bag he ever carries is a backpack. So there's one more vote for the professionalism of a backpack.

Good to know!

I am half-awake right now, but I got to see and try on the Synapse today and I love it! I can't wait till it's finalized. Upside of it taking a while to be complete means I get to save up and set aside money for it. I don't know how much it will cost but apparently it might cost more than expected because of all the (awesome!) pockets and the detail work that comes with them.

residue
07-31-2009, 07:37 AM
are there any more pictures?

backpack
08-01-2009, 06:22 AM
I'd love this bag! Solar Dyneema inside is what I would want as most bags are dark inside. The solar color is just so bright and it's easy to find things in the bottom of the bag.

All of my Tom Bihn bags but one which is Sapphire have Steel as an inside color.

I use various color coded Pouches and Cubes to organize the content of the Cafes and Swifts I use on a daily basis.

My dark interior Steel and Sapphire Brain Bags are not a problem to organize either.

I find a dark color inside the bag much more secure, I don't want people to see my stuff with the help of a light background such as Solar.

thorn
08-01-2009, 01:35 PM
If what you have in the bag is that secretive, maybe it is better to not open your bag in a crowded public. Just a suggestion.

backpack
08-01-2009, 09:26 PM
If what you have in the bag is that secretive, maybe it is better to not open your bag in a crowded public. Just a suggestion.

It is not secretive, it is just my stuff.

Similar to what Maverick carries but not the same obviously but I just don't like light backgrounds in bags, I guess.

I just found out that Solar is the only lining option for Indigo travel bags and I am not thrilled by that.

Edited to say that I am not much of a yellow person but... I fell in love with my Solar Large Yarn Stuff Sack and it looks dashing inside my Steel Packing Cube/Backpack.

The name Solar is fitting for that shade it is exactly like a bright piece of sunshine in a tidy little Dyneema bundle.

Note: I wasn't paid to show my evolving opinion of Solar :)

(but I sometimes feel like Samantha with the Lucy Lui designer bag)
Every time Darcy announces that the shop is open, it is all I can do not to grab my Brain Bag and Large Cafe Bag to hop on a plane to Seattle.

timarelay
08-02-2009, 04:21 AM
are there any more pictures?

I didn't feel comfortable asking if I could take pictures of it, so none from me. But it looks a lot like the old pictures that were posted!

I'm 5'3" with a small build, and I really liked how the bag fit me. It's a very thoughtful bag with lots of pockets, and I adore its water bottle pocket! Never seen a bag with a water bottle pocket positioned where it is, and I was quite surprised to open that zipper and find a deep cylindrical pocket instead of a small opening. Looks like it will fit a wide range of sizes.

I think it's going to be a popular bag, and I really hope it's done soon! I don't own a backpack anymore! My old one was a casualty to the rushed end of my move out of my apartment.

mrae
08-03-2009, 12:39 AM
A water bottle pocket? I was going to buy the synapse regardless but that's one of the features I'd hoped for.
I am so looking forward to it's release!

I just came back from a week traveling with my bb and aeronaut. I've finally had to acknowledge that the bb doesn't work for me. I'm too short and it ends up being uncomfortable. I'll post when I sell it on ebay. The synapse sounds like my perfect bag. I think it's going to be worth the wait.

Darcy
08-03-2009, 10:46 AM
All of my Tom Bihn bags but one which is Sapphire have Steel as an inside color.

The Synapse will definitely be lined in Steel in most exterior color combinations. :)

MtnMan
08-03-2009, 03:27 PM
Hello everybody,

I just joined the Tom Bihn forums.

I found the images of the prototype "Synapse" backpack very interesting.

Now, a few questions:

Will a Synapse be able to hold a Freudian Slip?

If so, will it hold either FS variety?

Will the Synapse have just one main compartment? Any dividers, or inner clips, etc.?

Will TB offer an option for the top strap to have extra padding so it will be easier to hold the bag by the top while loaded using one hand?

Will a sternum strap be standard?

Will the Synapse be machine washable?

Will there be any key hooks or other loops on the outside of the bag from which one can hang keys or a camera bag or umbrella for quick access?

Thanks in advance,

The Mountain Man

Darcy
08-03-2009, 03:41 PM
Hello everybody,

I just joined the Tom Bihn forums.

Welcome! :)

Will a Synapse be able to hold a Freudian Slip?

No, the Freudian Slip won't fit in the Synapse.

Will the Synapse have just one main compartment? Any dividers, or inner clips, etc.?

One main compartment, but there's more that we will reveal about that later.

Will TB offer an option for the top strap to have extra padding so it will be easier to hold the bag by the top while loaded using one hand?

No - the bag is designed to be carried as a backpack, and the top handle is there so that you can quickly grab/pick up the bag and put it on.

Will a sternum strap be standard?

Yes - the Synapse will come with removable sternum and waist straps.

Will the Synapse be machine washable?

No - no TOM BIHN bags are machine washable. See here for how to care for them. (http://www.tombihn.com/page/001/CTGY/_FAQ#faq25)

Will there be any key hooks or other loops on the outside of the bag from which one can hang keys or a camera bag or umbrella for quick access?

No. The keys and umbrella can be stored inside the front pockets.

MtnMan
08-03-2009, 04:11 PM
Thank you!

travelwkid
08-03-2009, 04:23 PM
I'm still wondering about the weight of the bag, please...

travelwkid

Darcy
08-03-2009, 05:06 PM
I'm still wondering about the weight of the bag, please...

travelwkid

I should be able to post the weight this week. The first prototypes didn't have Dyneema/nylon as the lining fabric, and the final version does, so that will affect the weight.

travelwkid
08-03-2009, 05:11 PM
Thanks Darcy!

travelwkid

backpack
08-03-2009, 07:13 PM
The Synapse will definitely be lined in Steel in most exterior color combinations. :)

Smile is getting wider by the minute!

This is really one of those times when I wish a transporter (Star Trek style) was available.

I could be in Seattle tomorrow to see the Synapse and the Field Notebook.

bagg
08-03-2009, 07:44 PM
i have used daypacks from other brands (e.g. karrimor spectre 20) when travelling to tropical countries, and they leave horrible sweat marks across both shoulders when i remove the bag. i suspect that this is because the straps are thickly padded with sponge for comfort. what are the synapse's shoulder straps like?

timarelay
08-04-2009, 08:08 PM
i have used daypacks from other brands (e.g. karrimor spectre 20) when travelling to tropical countries, and they leave horrible sweat marks across both shoulders when i remove the bag. i suspect that this is because the straps are thickly padded with sponge for comfort. what are the synapse's shoulder straps like?

I'm not sure a thinner strap would help that problem. My medium cafe bag leaves sweat marks under the strap if it's hot enough, and that's pretty much as thin as straps get.

From what I remember the Synapse straps are pretty padded. I wouldn't want backpack straps that weren't.