PDA

View Full Version : HOW DO YOU REMOVE zipper pulls?

maryannww
06-22-2016, 03:17 PM
I bought some zipper pulls with the plastic end caps and i put them on a few zippers, but now i want to take them off. How do i remove these without cutting the cord?
thanks!

Rocks
06-22-2016, 03:26 PM
The plastic part of the pull has two parts: the body and a little cap. You can see the seam. Pry those two apart. It takes some doing, but a little Swiss Army Knife blade should do the trick.

maryannww
06-22-2016, 04:07 PM
The plastic part of the pull has two parts: the body and a little cap. You can see the seam. Pry those two apart. It takes some doing, but a little Swiss Army Knife blade should do the trick.

thanks. I will give it a try!

BWeaves
06-22-2016, 08:18 PM
I have the exact opposite problem. I have no idea how you even put the zipper pulls on. There were no instructions. Can anyone clue me in, please? I probably won't use them, but I'd like to know.

UPDATE: Nevermind, I found the video. It would have been nice if the packing information contained instructions on where to find the instructions.

sarah_atx
06-23-2016, 06:43 AM
I use a small flathead screwdriver I can work in between the two parts of plastic. If you have a tiny one for eyeglasses that works great. A knife is too dangerous for my clumsy hands :)

MrKnitster
06-23-2016, 08:38 AM
That's exactly what I use (Swiss Army knife)! I feel like I've swapped zipper cords on my bags like a thousand times...

Blackeagle
06-24-2016, 12:11 PM

There is an easier method than prying between the body and the cap. If you look at the bottom of the plastic part (where the cords come out) you will see the ends of two tabs on the inside of the body. Hold the body of the zipper pull and use a pen or other implement to push on those tabs.

One of the tabs is visible in this pic. There's another one on the opposite side.

maryannww
06-24-2016, 02:40 PM
There is an easier method than prying between the body and the cap. If you look at the bottom of the plastic part (where the cords come out) you will see the ends of two tabs on the inside of the body. Hold the body of the zipper pull and use a pen or other implement to push on those tabs.

One of the tabs is visible in this pic. There's another one on the opposite side.

it worked! thanks!

GrussGott
09-22-2016, 11:05 AM
I use a pliers and it's super easy with no damage:

(1.) Gently use the pliers to hold - not grab or squeeze - the tab insert - use the first large plier serration to fit around the zipper pull insert edges:

(2.) Use your other hand to grip the pull barrel and slide it up - they slide very easily and come right off

BWeaves
09-22-2016, 12:34 PM
Thanks! I thought it would be harder than that.

UPDATE: That doesn't work for me. It might be that you have your zipper pulls installed upside down.

My TB faces the other direction, like in the zipper pull video. When I put them on, they snapped pretty tightly shut. Mine won't budge.

adalangdon
09-24-2016, 07:02 PM
Thanks! I thought it would be harder than that.

UPDATE: That doesn't work for me. It might be that you have your zipper pulls installed upside down.

My TB faces the other direction, like in the zipper pull video. When I put them on, they snapped pretty tightly shut. Mine won't budge.

That's correct, the zipper pull parts will click shut when installed the right way and can't be pulled out easily. Like the others, I use a flat metal object, like a metal ruler. I work it carefully into area where the 2 parts are joined and move the ruler from side to side until a gap opens up between the pieces, then yank them apart.

ykang2375
09-24-2016, 07:29 PM
I bought some zipper pulls with the plastic end caps and i put them on a few zippers, but now i want to take them off. How do i remove these without cutting the cord?
thanks!

They are really tough to take off once installed, why don't you just cut them off? A new package of zipper pulls is $5.

GrussGott
09-24-2016, 07:59 PM
That's correct, the zipper pull parts will click shut when installed the right way and can't be pulled out easily. Like the others, I use a flat metal object, like a metal ruler. I work it carefully into area where the 2 parts are joined and move the ruler from side to side until a gap opens up between the pieces, then yank them apart.

ha! hilarious, well I gotta say sometimes - just a few times - I'm glad I"m stupid, and this is one of them! there's no way any of my backwards zipper pulls are going anywhere and they're super easy to take on and off so ... I'm leaving them!

They don't look backwards ... to me i guess :D

adalangdon
09-24-2016, 08:09 PM
They are really tough to take off once installed, why don't you just cut them off? A new package of zipper pulls is $5.

Ooh. Could I have your cut-off pull tabs? :p (I am joking.)

Perseffect
09-25-2016, 09:09 AM
I also use the thin metal item between the two plastic pieces to easily lever the pieces apart.

And I wanted to share two ways I have been using cord to silence zippers.

On the new zips, the metal is heavier and chunkier and just weaving it through the zip pull is enough to silence it (mostly).

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160925/5b5e6924398f5e2a8441cf2177c1c817.jpg

However on my older A45 will the thinner metal zips (which jangle the worst in my opinion) I have to weave the cord through the zip body as well to quieten them.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160925/bd71c56b34583a904c0c4840a4bc35f8.jpg

In both cases, I use the newer thicker and stiffer cord from TB. And I like the 'twisted' style of threading them though the zips.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ykang2375
09-25-2016, 01:44 PM
Ooh. Could I have your cut-off pull tabs? :p (I am joking.)

Ha, I guess, if you want. There were actually two reasons for cutting them off, they are cheap and it's not worth injury trying to pry them open with pliers and knives.

GrussGott
09-25-2016, 04:59 PM
Ha, I guess, if you want. There were actually two reasons for cutting them off, they are cheap and it's not worth injury trying to pry them open with pliers and knives.

Future fix - put them on backwards! Friction holds them plenty secure and you can swap out daily if you want.

aremesal
09-26-2016, 01:06 AM
Some of us live outside USA... A new package of zipper pulls will cost $5+$45 for me (I'm from Europe) so it's worth to try to reuse them ;)

Perseffect
09-26-2016, 01:18 AM
Some of us live outside USA... A new package of zipper pulls will cost $5+$45 for me (I'm from Europe) so it's worth to try to reuse them ;)

Me too.

shoplarry
09-26-2016, 04:52 AM
I just made this video for people who want a safe and easy way to remove zipper pulls https://youtu.be/I-igZUj4xFM