PDA

View Full Version : Just ordered an A30

BWeaves
07-01-2016, 01:24 PM
Deep breath. New TB purchaser here. I just received an aubergine/wasabi WF this week, and I thought that an aubergine/wasabi A30 would complement it nicely, but the A30 was not available in that color. Then I saw the Nordic/Ultraviolet A30 and I kept debating internally whether to go for that or not, but I really prefer the ballistic nylon. Then I just got an e-mail a few minutes ago that the aubergine A30s were back in stock, so of course I ordered it and a ton of extras like the absolute strap and the aether packing cubes.

Now, I'm hyperventilating, hoping that I did the right thing. I'm really a flat packer, but some things just don't pack flat, so I figure my hubby and I can cross polinate our stuff between bags. He's just going to glare at me because I just bought Briggs & Riley TORQ hardsided spinners a few years ago because I was tired of getting my luggage off the carousel with rips in it. While I really like the TORQs (they are stunningly beautiful), the smaller ones are now too big to qualify as carry on luggage since the airlines downsized their allowable carry on luggage sizes.

I decided to not get an A45, because I don't want to carry something the size of my hardsided luggage. If I need something that big, I'll just use the TORQs and check them. Plus the TORQs roll really nicely, and I can plop the WF or A30 on top while wheeling everything around.

I don't need advice. I just needed to vent to people who understand.

Perseffect
07-01-2016, 03:26 PM
Good for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bchaplin
07-01-2016, 03:48 PM
Your logic checks out. And yes, as airline requirements get stricter, it's good to go with the smaller bags. I have a few suitcases for when I decide to check things, so keep the TORQ's and you will have a good range of options depending on the travel needs for any given vacation. Tell your husband you'll pack peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for lunch for a while :)

Alice in Wanderlust
07-01-2016, 04:04 PM
I'll take a deep breath beside you. I just ordered a SCB in Black Halcyon/Wasabi. It will make a nice complement with my MB in Black Halcyon/NWS.

Congratulations, an A30 is on my wish list.

Kaz
07-01-2016, 07:59 PM
I don't need advice. I just needed to vent to people who understand.

I hear you! And I agree that your analysis is spot-on, and ...

know exactly what you mean about partner-glares. Having now worked out that our A45's are too big for comfortable domestic carry-on travel within Australia, I really, really, really want an A30 in black Halcyon/UV, but feel that I've already pushed hubby to the extent of his happy agreement with investment in bags & luggage, and I'm still waiting for the right moment to tell him about those recent smaller purchases of items in Original and black Halcyon that I had to order when they were available!

terayon
07-01-2016, 08:03 PM
Man, if/when the A30 comes along in black halcyon/island, I will order it so fast my credit card will be smoking. My HB won't even see it, it'll be so fast.

malamalama
07-02-2016, 12:45 AM
Didn't sound like venting. Sounded like logical thought process to me. A WF and an A30. Congrats on your new bags.

Pokilani
07-02-2016, 08:28 AM
Man, if/when the A30 comes along in black halcyon/island, I will order it so fast my credit card will be smoking. My HB won't even see it, it'll be so fast.

That will be stunning! I have the Original Halcyon/Island combo and it's gorgeous. I'm hoping for the BH/Island combo in the SCB.

@BWeaves, I have both the A30 and WF. They definitely fill different purposes. You will be happy to have both options. Enjoy your new bags!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

midnite
07-02-2016, 03:22 PM
I know the partner glare well.

I got the small TORQ for the no-worry carry-on/check aspect. Long-suffering glare. But guess whose suitcase never requires duct tape!

I then discovered TB and, admittedly, went a bit hog wild. Exasperated glare. Guess who now refers to the A45 and associated packing cubes as "his". Last trip, some organizer pouches were even commandeered (commandeared?)

BWeaves
07-11-2016, 04:27 PM
Partner glare today. The A30 arrived with assorted aether packing cubes and an absolute shoulder strap. He thinks I buy too much stuff online. But I never shop in stores.

At first I thought the zipper release at the bottom inside of the bag was not there because I was looking in the side pockets, and then I looked inside the center compartment and saw how it worked. What a great place to secret stash stuff if you left it zipped!

Anyway, I had cut out the backpack straps from my new WF because they were so uncomfortable. I tried on the backpack straps on the A30 and surprise, I can wear these. I think I'll leave them on this bag, but I still prefer to wear it as a cross body with the AS. I don't regret cutting out the straps on the WF. It lightens the bag considerably, and gives me extra packing room.

I think between the two bags (WF and A30), I'll be able to pack both the flat stuff and the bulky stuff needed for both me and hubby. It won't be his bag and my bag, but a cross pollination of whatever fits in which ever bag.

The zippers are super stiff, but I guess that will prevent the average thief from sliding them open to nick stuff.

BWeaves
07-14-2016, 04:04 PM
I had to add my handwoven inkle bands to the new A30 to match my new WF.

I told my hubby that we are going to one bag it on a 7 day trip to California in a couple of weeks. He looked at the squashed TB bags and frowned. He doesn't think it'll work, but I think I can do it. It won't be his bag and my bag. I'll cross pollinate our stuff between the two bags. Flat stuff in the WF and bulking stuff in the A30, but we'll each carry just one bag.