PDA

View Full Version : DLBP

sarahlin
07-20-2016, 12:12 PM
I ordered a DLBP to use for hiking on some upcoming trips and when it arrived knew it was not what I wanted. I ended up getting the REI Flash 18 which for the reasons I wanted it works really well. I packed up the DLBP to send back but now I keep thinking I should keep it. It would make a great beach bag (light weight, big enough, can easily remove the sand unlike my other bags and it zips!) and work well for travel as an extra bag if needed.

I should keep it, yes?

sose
07-20-2016, 12:31 PM
Yes you should!

I don't use mine much but have used it for a charity walk, quick strut out to town with the family for dinner and as a day bag for a trip.

In fact, my wife and baby are flying together for the first time and an stuffing the DLBP into my A45 for use as a day bag.

Very versatile bag although, like you, I wouldn't use it for hiking.

For hiking I use... Well, that's another story for another time.

[emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tuskegee7294
07-20-2016, 12:48 PM
I ordered a DLBP to use for hiking on some upcoming trips and when it arrived knew it was not what I wanted. I ended up getting the REI Flash 18 which for the reasons I wanted it works really well. I packed up the DLBP to send back but now I keep thinking I should keep it. It would make a great beach bag (light weight, big enough, can easily remove the sand unlike my other bags and it zips!) and work well for travel as an extra bag if needed.

I should keep it, yes?
Yes, you should.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Rocks
07-20-2016, 01:07 PM
Keep it! My original Halcyon/steel Daylight backpack is the TB bag I love the most. I pack it in my Aeronat 30 and use it as a day bag. I've hauled rocks with it in Maine to no ill effect. It's a great NYC out all day bag. I'd get another with NWS interior but I'm sentimentally attached to the one I have. It just handles everything.

automaticsoap
07-20-2016, 02:55 PM
Another vote for keeping it! I use a Flash 18 for hiking as well, but I also have a DLBP for day or travel use.

ClaireJ
07-22-2016, 08:31 AM
Curious why the DLBP wasn't a good fit for hiking for you - I've been considering getting it for this purpose (while also considering the Flash 18 - know a lot of people who love that bag but I'm not a huge fan of the barrel-y shape). My current lightweight backpack for day hiking has a rather large hole at the side seam (after less than a year of moderate use) and I can't help but want TB quality for the next one.

sarah_atx
07-22-2016, 09:40 AM
I find myself wishing for water bottle side pockets when hiking and using the DLBC. I see the Flash 18 doesn't have those either. Are you guys stopping to remove and unzip the DLBC each time you need a drink?

sarahlin
07-22-2016, 09:48 AM
Curious why the DLBP wasn't a good fit for hiking for you - I've been considering getting it for this purpose (while also considering the Flash 18 - know a lot of people who love that bag but I'm not a huge fan of the barrel-y shape). My current lightweight backpack for day hiking has a rather large hole at the side seam (after less than a year of moderate use) and I can't help but want TB quality for the next one.

The DLBP is big, well bigger than I wanted for the purposes I need. We are not going on super long hikes (maybe 4 miles max) and the flash was lighter, better padding for straps and back, closed really well with the drawstring, also had good internal organization, better camelback integration, and just generally more comfortable for me. It held everything we needed without an issue. I just do not need the extra space the DLBP provides for this purpose.

That being said, I did decide to keep the DLBP for other stuff. I live in SoCal, so it is going to work well for the beach, I am bringing it on vacation (Hawaii) again for the beach, pool, boat trips, etc. It will work well when I need some stuff, but not enough to warrant a bigger back (my s25) or when I don't want my Synapse to get dirty (the beach, it is very difficult to get the sand out of the Synapse.)

I think they are both great, for me however, the DLBP is not a one bag fits all situation bag.

sarahlin
07-22-2016, 09:50 AM
I find myself wishing for water bottle side pockets when hiking and using the DLBC. I see the Flash 18 doesn't have those either. Are you guys stopping to remove and unzip the DLBC each time you need a drink?

So one thing I wanted for hiking is a camelbak bladder. So with the flash I am using that. It is more comfortable to carry and does not require me to stop walking, take the bag off, etc. I am much happier with this solution.

Darcy
07-22-2016, 10:33 AM
Are you guys stopping to remove and unzip the DLBC each time you need a drink?

That's pretty much how I stow/unstow my water bottle in any pack I'm carrying, whether it's 5 mile hike or an 18 mile hike. I usually take The Guide's Pack or a Synapse or Smart Alec on long hikes, but last year I took the Daylight on a 16 mile RT hike.

I tank up on water before my hikes or on the way to the trailhead. When I stop to have water on the trail, it's usually at a scenic or peaceful place and stopping to drink water is a nice reason to slow down and take in my surroundings, get my bearings. And when possible, I bring a water filter and pump water from a creek or river... there's just something about drinking cold, fresh water right where I'm hiking that I love.

sarahlin
07-22-2016, 10:40 AM
That's pretty much how I stow/unstow my water bottle in any pack I'm carrying, whether it's 5 mile hike or an 18 mile hike. I usually take The Guide's Pack or a Synapse or Smart Alec on long hikes, but last year I took the Daylight on a 16 mile RT hike.

I tank up on water before my hikes or on the way to the trailhead. When I stop to have water on the trail, it's usually at a scenic or peaceful place and stopping to drink water is a nice reason to slow down and take in my surroundings, get my bearings. And when possible, I bring a water filter and pump water from a creek or river... there's just something about drinking cold, fresh water right where I'm hiking that I love.

The tanking up on water is important in general since so many people are always dehydrated. What you do the day before matters a lot!

Darcy
07-22-2016, 11:07 AM
The tanking up on water is important in general since so many people are always dehydrated. What you do the day before matters a lot!

Totally. I also usually carry a travel packet or two of CocoHydro (http://bigtreefarms.com/products/coco-hydro).

moriond
07-22-2016, 11:55 AM
So one thing I wanted for hiking is a camelbak bladder. So with the flash I am using that. It is more comfortable to carry and does not require me to stop walking, take the bag off, etc. I am much happier with this solution.

@sarahlin,

You might want to take a look at the Daylight Backpack Packing List for Summer Hikes (https://forums.tombihn.com/packing-lists-and-travel-tips/8087-daylight-backpack-packing-list-summer-hikes.html) thread, and specifically the pictures in @NWHikergal's post (https://forums.tombihn.com/packing-lists-and-travel-tips/8087-daylight-backpack-packing-list-summer-hikes-post74871.html#post74871) showing how she carries her Platypus hydration bladders in the Daylight Backpack. Admittedly, that not an exact solution for your camelback. You might also take a look at the Carrying a Hydration Reservoir/Bladder in TB Backpacks (https://forums.tombihn.com/questions-about-bags/9123-carrying-hydration-reservoir-bladder-tb-backpacks.html) thread discussion, and the various links in the individual posts of that thread to get some more ideas.

HTH

moriond

sarahlin
07-22-2016, 12:17 PM
@sarahlin,

You might want to take a look at the Daylight Backpack Packing List for Summer Hikes (https://forums.tombihn.com/packing-lists-and-travel-tips/8087-daylight-backpack-packing-list-summer-hikes.html) thread, and specifically the pictures in @NWHikergal's post (https://forums.tombihn.com/packing-lists-and-travel-tips/8087-daylight-backpack-packing-list-summer-hikes-post74871.html#post74871) showing how she carries her Platypus hydration bladders in the Daylight Backpack. Admittedly, that not an exact solution for your camelback. You might also take a look at the Carrying a Hydration Reservoir/Bladder in TB Backpacks (https://forums.tombihn.com/questions-about-bags/9123-carrying-hydration-reservoir-bladder-tb-backpacks.html) thread discussion, and the various links in the individual posts of that thread to get some more ideas.

HTH

moriond

Thanks, I did look at those threads prior to buying but ultimately, the flash works better for me for this particular use. We just do not take that many things when hiking (and our hikes are more long walks on an unpaved surface) so the space the DLBP for our current situation is overkill. I am keeping it though!

sujo
07-22-2016, 02:42 PM
I have a question about the DLBP pockets (if I can ask it here?).

I did a little looking around and there were a few photos of the DLBP inside out. So the back top pocket goes halfway the length of the bag? Will a large organizer pouch fit in there?

automaticsoap
07-23-2016, 08:07 AM

I also have a Camelbak bladder and use that in my Flash 18.

tpnl
07-23-2016, 09:00 AM
I have a question about the DLBP pockets (if I can ask it here?).

I did a little looking around and there were a few photos of the DLBP inside out. So the back top pocket goes halfway the length of the bag? Will a large organizer pouch fit in there?

You are correct - the top back pocket goes down about 2/3 of the way from the top. I do not have a larger organizer pouch (OP) but I do have a DLBP. I measured the back pocket and it ends about 11" from the top - ie something up to 11" long could fit in there. The width at the top is about 8.5" so I would say something 8.5"x11" (basically a sheet of letter sized paper) could fit flat inside - but no guarantee on crinkled edges at the top as that really is the limit.

To your question, a large OP at 14.5" x 11.2" looks to be too large to fit in the upper pocket :( The medium OP would fit.

You can see, in the picture that @taminca took below, how far down the back pocket goes as you can see the stitching lines in the DLBP about 2/3 of the way down:

https://forums.tombihn.com/attachments/photos-videos-and-reviews/6925d1404429635-daylight-backpack-impressions-photos-p1020581-jpg

Here is the link to the excellent thread and posts @taminca started that included the above picture (in case you have not seen it):

Daylight Backpack Impressions (https://forums.tombihn.com/photos-videos-and-reviews/7893-daylight-backpack-impressions-photos.html#post70416)

Hope this helps
Cheers!

sujo
07-23-2016, 09:50 AM
Thank you, tpnl. That answers my question.

I have been considering it as an option for a minimal work bag. I have a Tri-Star/Western Flyer Packing Cube Backpack and have used it as minimal work bag on travel once. It worked well but was a bit narrow / not too deep. the DLBP is wider / deeper (3.3 in vs 5.1 in, based on the specs). But I can't decide if the organization in the DLBP is a good thing or not.

tpnl
07-23-2016, 12:06 PM
Hey sujo, np.

Just a note that the DLBP is actually 3.5" deep and exactly the same as the PCBP from what I can see. This measurement is based on the fabric seam to fabric seam length. So, IMHO, the DLBP would be no better than the PCBP.

If your issue is depth, perhaps using a Freudian Slip may help to keep things packed more vertically so you do not end up needing the extra depth - that is unless you have something that is 5" thick. This would work for both the DLBP and PCBP. I like using the Vertical FS in the PCBP and the S25 FS in the DLBP.

To speak to using the DLBP as a minimal work bag, that is why I bought it. I think it has enough advantages over the PCBP to make it great stealth backpack for work:

- DLBP has the 2 elastic pockets - great to put a laptop or papers in and keep it from getting in the way of other items or getting crinkled / bent
- DLBP had 3 O-Rings in the main compartment and 2 in the front - as compared to 1 O-Ring in each PCBP compartment
- DLBP looks better /is very streamlined and can be packing so the sides are vertical (ie not like the S25) - so kind of "hides" that it is a backpack and looks like a briefcase carried on your back (i.e. convertible briefcase)

As both can act as packing cubes or be packed in with your regular luggage without impacting space, the DLBP is almost as flexible as the PCBP as far as travelling is concerned - like having your cake and eating it too ;)

Hope this helps
Cheers!

sujo
07-23-2016, 12:17 PM
Hmmm ... good insight, tpnl. I will consider it. Thanks!

moriond
07-23-2016, 05:13 PM
@sujo,

The large organizer pouch is really large -- for example, its length is slightly longer than the external length of a vertical cache that holds a 13" MacBook, and it is also much wider. If you look at my post #119 (https://forums.tombihn.com/photos-videos-and-reviews/7893-daylight-backpack-impressions-photos-8.html#post71810) in @taminca's Daylight Backpack Impressions/Photos thread (https://forums.tombihn.com/photos-videos-and-reviews/7893-daylight-backpack-impressions-photos.html) that @tpnl linked, you'll see this:

@eWalker Since the Double Organizer pouches all seem to take their sizes from the corresponding regular Organizer pouches, I'd say that the Large DOP will fit into the DLBP if you curve the edges around at the top two corners, and put the Large DOP into the main compartment (not trying to fit it into the bottom pouch, which is already starting to narrow.)

Here's the back side of a large clear organizer pouch in Indigo on top of the DLBP
https://forums.tombihn.com/attachments/photos-videos-and-reviews/7139d1405116280-daylight-backpack-impressions-photos-imageuploadedbytapatalk1405116315-084043-jpg

The old size large organizer pouch (crimson) from several years ago would fit without folding corners, and inside the bottom pocket. That pouch holds A4 paper, but not a very thick stack (e.g. 100-500 sheets, which you do with the current Large pouches)
https://forums.tombihn.com/attachments/photos-videos-and-reviews/7140d1405116458-daylight-backpack-impressions-photos-imageuploadedbytapatalk1405116494-675030-jpg

HTH moriond

@eWalker was asking about storing the large organizer pouch (with papers) inside the Daylight Backpack (main compartment or front diagonal slash pocket). While you can fit the current generation Large organizer pouches, with letter or A4 sized papers inside, into the Daylight Backpack (or inside the Packing Cube Backpack for TriStar/Western Flyer), if that's what you have been using to carry papers and folders, that's not your only option. You can also use different combinations of Freudian slips, with papers or file folders placed in those pockets, or you could place file folders directly inside the bottom tiered pocket of the Daylight Backpack.

The main difference in the carrying profile of the Daylight Backpack over the packing cube backpack for TriStar/Western Flyer is whether you find the extra organization of the tiered pockets works better for you in distributing the weight of what you're carrying. Depending on this, and whether you use alternative accessories (like the vertical Freudian Slip for Brain Bag/Smart Alec), you may not need this. It really depends on what other bags you use and how you want to transfer items. For example, if you happen to use a Medium or Small Cafe Bag Freudian Slip in your ID Bag, or in a Cafe Bag, it can be handy to move those items wholesale to the top tiered pocket of the DLBP, and have easy access at the top of your Daylight Backpack.

HTH

moriond

sujo
07-24-2016, 11:32 AM
thank you, moriond. That is very helpful. I gifted my Brain Bag/Smart Alec Freudian Slip with the Brain Bag. However, I still have the Medium Café Bag Freudian Slip. Knowing it can switch between the ID and DLBP is good to know.

Thanks to all for the insight.

sarahlin
07-24-2016, 03:47 PM
All, I used my DLBP for the pool today and I am so glad I kept it. Literally the best pool bag ever. Right size, lightweight, so comfortable. Total perfection.

kreckman
07-26-2016, 04:15 AM
I use a 1.5L Osprey bladder in my DLBP and it slips perfectly in the top pocket. For bottle only carry I use a small carabineer through the waist belt loop to clip to the bottle. I don't use a waist belt on the DLBP. The DLBP just works for me and it's a reminder that less carried is more fun.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk