PDA

View Full Version : Tri Star? Western Flyer..........ballistic nylon vs new Halycon

skipper
08-04-2016, 06:40 PM
Anyone have any info on using a Tristar or Western flyer in the Ballistic Nylon or the new Halycon? Wondering if the new lighter material becomes floppy if not stuffed? Also will a 3D organizer cube fit into the pocket that most folks use for a water bottle? Just wondering if I could fit 1-2 without the bag bulging too much.

hachkc
08-04-2016, 08:09 PM
I have a ballistic TS and a WF in original halcyon.

There is definitely a difference between them as the ballistic holds its shape better. My WF won't stand on its own which is probably a function of the material and differences in bag structure. That said, I don't think an underpacked bag is going to look to bad though. That said, I've never really underpacked either of them. Take my EC Adventure Weekender though, that looks bad when underpacked and I don't see the same issue with the WF.

I think I would actually prefer a ballistic WF vs my halycon one. I like the size of the WF vs the TS but I prefer the ballistic material; hindsight is 20/20.

skipper
08-04-2016, 08:17 PM
Thank you hachkc.............I was worried that would happen. Trying to decide on the WF vs Tri Star vs Brain bag. I only want to carry 2-3 changes of clothes for 2-3 days, 2 Tom Bihn 3D organizer kits and my Mirrorless Fuji XPro2 camera and 1 lens. I seen on a recent video of someone putting their Macbook pro in the backpack strap area if needed.I am also a very good organizer with my Eagle creek packing cubes.

polarium
08-05-2016, 12:50 AM
Anyone have any info on using a Tristar or Western flyer in the Ballistic Nylon or the new Halycon? Wondering if the new lighter material becomes floppy if not stuffed? Also will a 3D organizer cube fit into the pocket that most folks use for a water bottle? Just wondering if I could fit 1-2 without the bag bulging too much.
I have the ballistic WF and would say that it can stand up on it's own.

moriond
08-05-2016, 01:03 AM
I have a ballistic TS and a WF in original halcyon.

There is definitely a difference between them as the ballistic holds its shape better. My WF won't stand on its own which is probably a function of the material and differences in bag structure. That said, I don't think an underpacked bag is going to look to bad though. That said, I've never really underpacked either of them. Take my EC Adventure Weekender though, that looks bad when underpacked and I don't see the same issue with the WF.

I think I would actually prefer a ballistic WF vs my halycon one. I like the size of the WF vs the TS but I prefer the ballistic material; hindsight is 20/20.

Just to chip in here, I have the Western Flyer in both Ballistic Nylon and in the (original) Nordic Halcyon, and for this bag I prefer the Nordic Halcyon. It's easier to pack items in (that reference to holding shape), but I still find travels well, without undue bulging. I also have the Tri-Star in (Indigo/Solar) Ballistic Nylon -- again dating from the first release of that bag. I'd probably prefer to stick to Ballistic Nylon for the Tri-Star, but I totally love the Halcyon Western Flyer (more so than I expected, even having owned Synapse Backpacks, the Swift, and Side Effects in Halcyon before I tried this.)

I think this is personal preference, so I hope that other forum members will chip in here.

HTH

moriond

rabergnc
08-05-2016, 04:49 AM
I have a ballistic WF. A 3D organizer cube will fit in the water bottle pocket, but.... (there's always a but...) it will bulge a bit. It will bulge more if the compartment behind the pocket is stuffed. If the organizer is really packed, and the pocket compartment is stuffed, it will be hard to close. It's a matter of planning and space compromise.

hachkc
08-05-2016, 09:23 AM
Here are my thoughts on the 2 bags. The WF will hold almost as much as the TS simply because of the sizes of the main pockets. With 2 larger pockets in the WF vs the 3 smaller pockets in the TS, you have more flexibility in how and what you pack.

Here are some pics from a recent trip for 3 days, 2 nights professional travel.

skipper
08-05-2016, 11:24 AM
Thank you Hachkc that was nice of you. I think I will go with the WF in the Ballistic Nylon because of your advice. Good to know that the two pockets have more depth than the Tristar. I am hoping I can fit my camera in there somewhere maybe in a packing cube if necessary. Have you ever tried putting your laptop in the shoulder strap area? In the picture are you using two bags?

hachkc
08-05-2016, 02:59 PM
My laptop won't fit in the strap area but sits in the front with other gear in its sleeve

bchaplin
08-05-2016, 03:36 PM
If you would like to see some different options for packing the Western Flyer, TravelManager made a terrific video (https://forums.tombihn.com/photos-videos-and-reviews/6458-your-videos-2.html#post128471). I have been using one for a while (currently in ballistic, as a carryon for work trips), and the video gave me some new ideas.

skipper
08-05-2016, 03:47 PM
Thank you bchaplin, I already seen it with every other possible video I could find. I ended up getting it today with lots of other stuff. Love seeing your posts.