PDA

View Full Version : Aeronaut 30

Darcy
08-19-2016, 03:25 PM
How do you use the built-in organizational features of the Aeronaut 30 (ttps://www.tombihn.com/products/aeronaut-30)? Do you use Packing Cubes, Organizer Pouches, Travel Stuff Sacks or other accessories for organization? And if so, which ones? Post your organizational strategies, hacks, and advice for using the Aeronaut 30 here!

Want some inspiration? Here's a few great posts about organizing the Aeronaut 30 from around the Forums:
Packing the Aeronaut 30 for the first time (https://forums.tombihn.com/packing-lists-and-travel-tips/8596-packing-a30-first-time.html)
Race weekend packing list (https://forums.tombihn.com/photos-videos-and-reviews/9535-trailrunners-30-pcsb-race-weekend-packing-list.html)
Winter packing list (https://forums.tombihn.com/packing-lists-and-travel-tips/10553-winter-packing-list-a30-scb-5-days-socializing-hiking-running.html)
7 kg. carry-on limit (https://forums.tombihn.com/packing-lists-and-travel-tips/11301-short-break-a30-7kg-carry-limit.html)
10 day trip (https://forums.tombihn.com/packing-lists-and-travel-tips/9780-10-days-orlando-aeronaut-30-a-post102175.html#post102175)
Video: Test Packing the A30 (https://forums.tombihn.com/photos-videos-and-reviews/10509-video-test-packing-aeronaut-30-a-post114781.html#post114781)
Packing lineups & general tips (https://forums.tombihn.com/questions-about-bags/8513-whats-your-aeronaut-30-packing-lineups-general-tips.html)

slbear
08-20-2016, 10:59 AM
A30organization?

I have yet to travel with my new A30, but trial packed it the day it arrived. I think it will work great for me. I plan to organize it as follows for a weeklong business trip to Taiwan or India:

Main compartment - (2) pair golf slacks, may have to unzip one or both sides to avoid creasing. A30 large packing cube with shirts and workout shorts. Clean/dirty packing cube for socks and boxers (currently use an EC 1/4 size). Travel Kit (on order) with charger and cables, med case and vitamins, misc etc. Room for more?

LH end pocket - First Aid Kit (mainly Rx and OtC meds), 3DPC with liquids, razor and toothbrush, Houdini jacket, maybe my laptop brick and mouse in a nylon zipper pouch. Plastic shaker cup with Neilmed squeeze bottle.

RH end pocket - shoes, maybe in a small carbon A30 PC, with deodorant and blood sugar test kit inside shoes.

I'll also take my matching S25 or a small Timbuk2 messenger with laptop, EDC stuff, passport, snacks and water. The messenger may work better if I want to carry the A30 in backpack mode. Either way I'll be using organizer pouches and a small Q-kit to organize that.

I am getting closer to one-bagging, but still prefer to have a smaller work day bag at the destination, and frankly it's nice to have a small bag on the flight. It would be great if it could disappear into the A30 for walks, train, etc. I know I could fit my laptop in the A30, but not my messenger or S25, so maybe a DLBC might be my next purchase. I like the Pilot too, but seems less likely to fit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PaulT00
08-20-2016, 04:19 PM
My Aubergine/Wasabi A30 and I regularly do trips to London, by train, for work. They're usually for 2 days (one night) but sometimes up to 4 or 5 days... I'm quite brutal about one bag only (although sometimes bags can go marsupial for additional flexibility while away) having gradually whittled the kit down to maximum flexibility and minimum size for typical activities.

Centre compartment:
Packing cube (often the Solar A45 Packing Cube Backpack) containing clothes - as standard, I take along (n+1) * days' worth of Polo shirts, underwear and socks so that I have a spare in case of minor disasters (coffee spills etc) or unexpected trip extensions (has happened more than once!). I generally only have one pair of trousers and wear those.
(Optional) non-TB dry pack containing rolled Yogitoes yoga mat towel and one or more pairs of yoga shorts.
(Optional) Weird Fish Active Macaroni sweatshirt, rolled, if the weather calls for it.
Rolled or folded Wasabi Size 3 or 4 Travel Stuff Sack to hold dirty washing.
Filofax M2 to act as notepad.
A4 manilla folder containing work papers.
12" Retina MacBook in either a cache, or for 3 or more day trips, in an older model Aubergine/Steel Ristretto for iPad (which it fits perfectly) to be used as office day-bag.
(Optional) iPad Air which sometimes lives in the same cache as the MacBook.
Zest Travel Tray to corral the MacBook charger, HDMI cable, adaptors, metal glasses case containing pens and various other bits. This is tucked into a gap, generally.
(Optional) Vita-coco coconut water cartons or Vita-coco 'Mocha' iced coffee drink.

Left hand end pocket:
Wasabi Side-Effect holding glasses (or at least glasses case), spare contact lenses, reading glasses, sunglasses in case.
French Blue Clear Organiser Cube containing Asthma inhalers and Aerochamber.
PCB free small plastic water bottle, filled immediately before departure with goat's milk to put in tea on the train (I don't get on well with ordinary cow's milk these days due to chronic digestive issues).

Right hand end pocket:
Iberian Clear Quarter Cube as a washbag (shower gel decanted into a small Muji foam bottle, deodorant, contact lens fluid, magnesium spray, vitamin D spray, toothbrush, toothpaste, shaving cream, aftershave balm, razor, vitamin pills in little Muji plastic pots, various medication, dental floss etc).
Sigg 400ml 'vintage' swingtop steel water bottle.
Coyote small Q-Kit containing a couple of dozen proper teabags.

I rarely use the outside end pockets for anything other than a small wad of paper tissues; the inside pocket on the centre compartment flap has never been used for some reason - I just don't seem to need it for anything.

If the trip is longer than about 3 days or has specific clothing requirements then the A45 tends to get used instead of the A30, and an extra pair of trousers may be involved. :)

The great thing about TB kit is that it all 'works together', having apparently been designed around a common set of dimensions such that there is great flexibility but little lost space when putting different items into a bag. It's like the whole range was designed on a grid so that one or more dimensions of each object is compatible with one or more dimensions of everything else!

BWeaves
08-21-2016, 02:37 PM
I've only used my new A30 once, and it was combined with a WF. The two bags were for two people but we cross pollinated our clothing into whichever bag the items fit best.

Flat packed items went into Eagle Creek packing folders in the WF. Toiletries and shoes went into the front sections of the WF.

The A30 had one large Aether packing cube, 2 small Aether packing cubes all in the center section.
One end Aether packing cube in one of the end sections. All with various items of clothing. The other end section had books and rain ponchos in their own packing cubes.

However, I didn't know what to do with my dirty clothes, so they ended up getting thrown into the main section of the A30, and the packing cubes with the clean clothes put on top. Then at the end of the trip, everything got repacked into the packing cubes.

I kind of wish the Aether packing cubes were like the Eagle Creek clean/dirty cubes or the TB laundry stuff sack only cube shaped, so I could keep the same items in the same cube, only separated by a floating panel. And maybe different colors on each side so I can tell the clean vs. the dirty apart easily.

fredlet
08-21-2016, 07:53 PM
Here's my base packing in my A30 for just about any trip:
-A30 (black dyneema/ultraviolet)
Left pocket: dry kit, wet kit (attached to 18" strap), sandals, foldable shopping bag (Granite Gear), power brick for cpap
Left zip flat pocket: Clear organizer wallet (Orange) with metro cards (various), lucky coins, Passport card on tether
Center section: laundry bag, rolled T's, rolled pants/leggings, long sleeve shirt, Magic travel dress of Power!*, travel tray and iPad mini with BT keyboard/cover gets set on top for easy extraction for plane seat.
Right Pocket: CPAP, Night Flight Duffel Packing Cube
Snap handles: jacket slips though for corralling

Organizer contents:
-TB laundry bag (ultraviolet) with smartwool socks, injinji socks, ex officio undies, swimsuit
-TB travel tray (ultraviolet) with iPhone cable and batteries), noise cancelling earbuds, lip balm, latte sleeve
-TB 3D organizer*cube (ultraviolet) dry kit- JR Liggetts shampoo bar, soap, floss, tooth powder, toothbrush, lotion bar, Palmer's coca butter SPF 30 stick, dove soap bar
-TB 3D organizer cube (Orange)* - wet kit-shampoo, toothpaste, Dr Bronner's almond soap, eye drops
-Dyneema organizer pouch (ultraviolet) - first aid kit (band aids etc)
-Night Flight Duffel Packing Cube - CPAP hose, mask, Belkin power strip with USB
-Dyneema Daylight Backpack - empty along the bottom of the bag
-Side Effect + strap, flat USB cables for recharging stuff
-water bottle or Vapur water bottle
*MTDoP black tank dress, never wrinkles, lightweight and comfy, dresses up or down.
**Various items can be added or removed (primarily the wet kit) to suit the season/location/activity/airline restrictions

automaticsoap
08-22-2016, 07:28 AM
I've been test packing for my upcoming 6-night Glacier National Park trip (8 days to go!), and this is what my nordic halcyon A30 contains:

Left pocket: liquids bag, dry toiletries pouch
Right pocket: TSS #3 with womens size 7 hiking shoes
Backpack strap pocket: REI Flash 18

Main compartment:
-2 Eagle Creek Spectre half cubes: 2 sets of hiking clothes (pants, tanks, sports bras, darn tough socks), other clothes (2 s/s shirts, shorts, leggings, l/s shirt, bra)
-2 Eagle Creek Spectre quarter cubes: underwear, sleep clothes, socks
-travel tray: chargers, cords, extra camera batteries
-Eagle Creek stuff sack: bathing suit
-Teva sandals
-hairbrush and hat

Duggy'sMom
08-24-2016, 05:58 AM
I've been test packing for my upcoming 6-night Glacier National Park trip (8 days to go!), and this is what my nordic halcyon A30 contains:

Main compartment:
-2 Eagle Creek Spectre half cubes: 2 sets of hiking clothes (pants, tanks, sports bras, darn tough socks), other clothes (2 s/s shirts, shorts, leggings, l/s shirt, bra)
-2 Eagle Creek Spectre quarter cubes: underwear, sleep clothes, socks
-travel tray: chargers, cords, extra camera batteries
-Eagle Creek stuff sack: bathing suit
-Teva sandals
-hairbrush and hat

So jealous! Enjoy GNP!

ztstephens
08-24-2016, 06:19 AM
I just ordered 4 end pocket packing cubes for my A30 to be used in the vertical position. I just realized that I haven't seen any pictures of that on the A30- just the A45. Is this going to fit in the A30?

Badger
08-24-2016, 09:01 AM
I just ordered 4 end pocket packing cubes for my A30 to be used in the vertical position. I just realized that I haven't seen any pictures of that on the A30- just the A45. Is this going to fit in the A30?

If you mean you have 4 A30-sized end pocket cubes to use in the A30, and you plan to pack the cubes like books on a shelf, then yes, you'll be fine, and should have some room to spare.

BWeaves
08-24-2016, 10:50 AM
It never occurred to me to stack cubes vertically. That makes so much sense. No digging for stuff on the bottom of the bag.

Now I have to buy more cubes. Thanks,

caitirilt
08-24-2016, 11:22 AM
If you mean you have 4 A30-sized end pocket cubes to use in the A30, and you plan to pack the cubes like books on a shelf, then yes, you'll be fine, and should have some room to spare.

This is actually something I've been wondering about, as I consider and re-consider packing cube schemes for the Black Halcyon/Island A30 I'm crossing my fingers for...how much room is left over if you stack the cubes vertically? And is the room to one side of the cubes (i.e., at the "end" of the compartment), or is it room on top of cubes, under the main flap?

fredlet
08-24-2016, 11:23 AM

Pictures please when they arrive! :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

automaticsoap
08-25-2016, 12:40 PM

Whoops, I need to make a correction -- my hiking shoes are in a large YSS!

So jealous! Enjoy GNP!

I'm so excited! GNP has been on my bucket list for a while now.

sujo
08-26-2016, 06:00 PM
I find the medium TriStar packing cube is a great fit for the A30 main compartment. I use it to pack pants, shirts, and sweaters. There's room in the front for a rolled up jacket or one or two 3D organizer cube or a No. 2 travel stuff sack. I use a small A30 Aether packing cube in one of the end pockets for t-shirts, shorts, socks and underwear. I can fit a pair of size 7.5 sandals or flip flops, toiletries, and a packable jacket in the other end pocket. In all, I can carry enough for up to a week without doing laundry. And the best part is there is enough room in the main compartment for a Large Café Bag holding a computer, charger and such.

slbear
08-27-2016, 07:40 PM
New A30 packed for Taiwan: departing Sunday and returning Friday.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160828/e41eaa8989e08445647dac24dd2b2dc3.jpg

Large A30 cube already inside. Shoes in a small Aether A30 cube and a small umbrella in the left. EC quarter cube, jacket and travel tray in the center. The rest fit easily into the right.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160828/db30eb525e7cc0cb5836fac3a15aac0c.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160828/dfa64480e0628e19a63b956c796ad0ad.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160828/f7bbb747e21fe1e3fe8cba8bee922e82.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160828/012d2fd9bf3e2e3d7a82f0069e329144.jpg

ztstephens
09-01-2016, 06:25 AM
Pictures please when they arrive! :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Here are 4 end pocket packing cubes fitting vertical in an A30. With the cubes full, there won't be much space left on the ends. It's a near perfect fit inside the main compartment.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160901/9f693ecfb5fa6be2319c8269f433034a.jpg

BWeaves
09-01-2016, 11:06 AM
Just out of curiosity, what do you all put in the end pockets? Not those pockets. The little flat ones on the very ends. Aside from a boarding pass, I'm not sure what to use them for. There doesn't seem to be enough depth for anything but paper, but maybe I'm wrong.

Badger
09-01-2016, 11:27 AM
I use one outer pocket to empty my pockets into before security—phone, wallet, belt, etc.; I use the other side for my hat and gloves in the winter, glasses cases, socks, water bottle, or any small thing I want to be able to grab quickly. The outer pockets will expand into the end pockets if the items are too bulky, but they also hold more than they might initially appear.

Morfydd
09-24-2016, 02:52 AM
For a 6-day trip to Krakow last week, I packed my Aeronaut with:
Main compartment:
--2 small Eagle Creek Specter folders, side by side, one with 5 blouses, one with extra jeans, skirt, stockings, nightgown
--small EC Specter compression cube for underwear
--large EC Specter compression cube (empty) for laundry
--2 towels (we were staying in a hostel)
Left pocket:
--Ditty bag
--Lay-N-Go mini essential bag (poor man version of the TB Travel Tray, but also a pretty enough fabric for an evening bag)
Right pocket:
--Spare pair of flats

My day bag is a Guess Bobbi tote, which I like because the outer bag is a big open bucket, but I can keep valuables in the inner bag clipped in, and the inner bag can be carried on its own if I completely fill up the bucket.
Outer bag:
--sweater, scarf, umbrella, folder with travel printouts
Inner bag:
--iPad, keys, random everything else

The tote would have fit with plenty of room to spare in the Aeronaut, but we drove so juggling bags wasn't so much a big deal.

Also a note: At at least 2 locations, there were strict bag size limitations (Auschwitz and the Wieliczka Salt Mines) and I was able to roll up the outer tote and cram it into the smaller pouch so I didn't have to check a bag.

Hey, my Aeronaut is a few years older - how do I tell if it's a 45 or 30? At the time it came in regular and short and I chose regular, and sometimes wish I'd chosen a short (though I love it to death anyway).

Morfydd
09-24-2016, 03:05 AM
Also, I really do own quite a few TB packing cubes and the like. I've just become obsessed with folders, and am experimenting with some new toys.

I'd say my day bag could easily have been my dark blue Swift, with another bag clipped in. I carried it all the time when I first moved to Germany and it's got great organization even without an inner bag. I should rescue it from the knitting supplies! :)

And the Passport Pouch was wonderful, as always. I should upgrade to the RFID version.

ztstephens
10-24-2016, 08:16 AM
I thought I'd share my packing pictures for my trip to Paris this weekend. Its a solo trip for 4 days just to see the city and explore a bit.

Packed weight is right around 8kg...under the 10kg carry on limit for Norwegian Air.

Aeronaut 30 with absolute shoulder strap and neck pillow

Large clear organizer pouch for documents and maps

3D organizer cube for my 3-1-1 bag

Rain jacket, laundry stuff sack, down jacket in #2 stuff sack, dry toiletry bag, and 3 end pocket packing cubes on top of each other holding clothes

The one end pocket holds a travel tray, a stuff sack with my electronics items, sunglasses, and a stuff sack with my misc items

And finally 2 clear organizer pouches. One holds my passport and a small notebook and the other holds my loyalty cards and some spare cash

albyrne
11-03-2016, 03:59 AM
Just snapped up an A30 from eBay! Can anyone confirm if my Eagle Creek (medium) folders will squeeze in? I'm guessing this might be possible, if I unzip one of the end compartments to enlarge the main compartment?

A.

BWeaves
11-03-2016, 10:32 AM
I have the EC Specter packing folders in Medium and Small sizes. I think the regular packing folders are a hair bigger than the Specter ones.

I just tried my Medium Specter packing folder (packed about 2 inches thick) in my ballistic A30. If you unzip both dividers, you can just squeeze the packing folder in. It's a little struggle to get it in there, but it does fit. It takes up almost all the room on the bottom of the bag. It would not be my preferred way to use the packing folder, as my medium packing folder fits perfectly in the back compartment of my WF.

The small EC Specter packing folder fits perfectly in the backstrap compartment of both the WF or my Pilot.

Anyway, the answer is YES, a medium EC packing folder will fit in an A30 if you unzip the dividers for the size pockets.

albyrne
11-03-2016, 05:12 PM
... my medium packing folder fits perfectly in the back compartment of my WF.

Anyway, the answer is YES, a medium EC packing folder will fit in an A30 if you unzip the dividers for the size pockets.

Thank you for that information. I'm beginning to think a WF should be next on shopping list!

BWeaves
11-04-2016, 04:57 AM
I'm a flat packer, so the WF works well for me. But some of my stuff is too lumpy and that's when the A30 is better for me. When both my husband and I travel together, it's not his bag and my bag. I pack both bags with both our stuff, depending on which bag the stuff fits best in.