PDA

View Full Version : SCB accessories

happyhomemaker
09-11-2016, 04:54 AM
I just got a small cafe bag and am trying to decide what accessories to get for it. I love the organizer pouches but have a hard time visualizing size and how it will fit. So, what are your favorite accessories/sizes to go with the SCB?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

bchaplin
09-11-2016, 05:08 AM
It really depends on what you carry - if you give us a list we can offer more tailored advice.
My favorite accessory for the Small Cafe Bag has to be the matching Freudian Slip (https://www.tombihn.com/products/freudian-slip?variant=16409089031) (FS). When I used it as a tour bag in Europe, the FS was perfect for holding my passport, cash, phone and other things securely. (It wasn't completely pickpocket-proof, but pretty darn close.) In that instance, the most useful accessories in addition to the FS were some pouches (https://www.tombihn.com/collections/organizer-pouches/products/halcyon-organizer-pouch?variant=16620972359) in which I kept credit cards, secured to the interior of the bag with key straps (https://www.tombihn.com/products/key-straps?variant=16409881159).

I sometimes forego the Freudian Slip and carry a Side Effect (https://www.tombihn.com/collections/organizer-pouches/products/side-effect?variant=16396803975). Even though it takes up most of the space, it helps it keep its shape, and provides a quick way to transfer belongings to a different bag during my workweek.

happyhomemaker
09-11-2016, 05:12 AM
I will use it mostly as a purse. Right now, this is what I have in my current bag but I'm flexible. http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160911/47cdaa25115fe60d88b755cdae810ab0.jpg

bchaplin
09-11-2016, 05:22 AM
Nice!
I bet that stuff - particularly the notebook and wallet - fills up most of the Small Cafe Bag and gives it structure. You may not need anything else.
You could get a pouch or Q-kit to hold the smaller items, such as the flashlight and moisturizer, but you may prefer to place them in the pockets that are in the main compartment. That's what I usually do so that those items are within easy reach.
Beth

I will use it mostly as a purse. Right now, this is what I have in my current bag but I'm flexible. http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160911/47cdaa25115fe60d88b755cdae810ab0.jpg

Kirri
09-11-2016, 12:51 PM
I agree with bchaplin, it looks like it would fit well in a SCB as is. Since you are already using bags to hold your smaller items, you don't need anything else.

Of course, you may choose to get OP or Qkits or ... to have a complete TB set up. But that is not necessary, just the way that those of us with the TB bug tend to go. Once you realise how much you love your bag, you want to kit it out completely!

May I ask what the thing at the bottom, to the right of the keys, is? I've looked and thought and looked more and just haven't got a clue.

happyhomemaker
09-11-2016, 01:07 PM
That's kind of how I feel - I have a swift and several stuff sacks and two OPs, all of which I use for my knitting, but I love the system so much that I'm thinking I may replace the little striped pouch with a Bihn pouch of some sort. Maybe the wallet too.
Maybe when the SCB arrives I'll try the ones I've already got in it for size and go from there. :)
The thing at the bottom by the keys is a knife. Handle on the right end and the squarish plastic piece is a sheath covering the blade. My husband and I love camping and after i used his knife all weekend on one of our camping trips, he got me one like it. :)
Thanks!

happyhomemaker
09-11-2016, 03:01 PM
Me again... At the moment I am leaning toward replacing the wallet and striped pouch in the picture with a small organizer pouch and a small double organizer pouch. I'm thinking those two and the other small items in the main compartment and front pocket, with the book (which isn't *always*with me) in the back slip pocket.
Would that fit, you think?

prairiegl
09-11-2016, 04:57 PM
I use a small cafe bag on a daily basis, but I guess I carry more smaller items than most people, so it's not quite fully packed. I use a couple mini organizer pouches, as well as a small OP (sometimes one a little larger). On vacation a few weeks ago, I started using an Allett wallet and really liked it. I normally have a Coach that has my checkbook, ID's and room for cash and credit cards, but it's certainly not small. I find the pockets that are already in the SCB enough for the needs I have now, so don't use a Freudian Slip in mine. I actually ordered one for my medium cafe bag and sent it back.

prairiegl
09-11-2016, 04:58 PM
What size is the book? I have put a Nook color tablet in the back pocket of my SCB, but not sure I would want to do that on a regular basis --- that said, it did seem pretty secure.

happyhomemaker
09-11-2016, 05:11 PM
What size is the book? I have put a Nook color tablet in the back pocket of my SCB, but not sure I would want to do that on a regular basis --- that said, it did seem pretty secure.
The book is 6in x 4.5 in x0.5in

prairiegl
09-12-2016, 08:46 AM
That should fit in the back pocket area fine; whether you want to entrust it to stay there if the bag accidentally gets turned upside down or not ---- that's what I tend to ponder.

happyhomemaker
09-16-2016, 03:09 PM
Thanks for your help - here's my new setup! I'm loving it so far.
I liked the idea of the organizer wallet but I preferred separate pockets to the one zipper and dividers. So I went with a small double organizer pouch and I think really going to like that.
I have a large family and I love that when I'm out alone with all the kids I have the added insurance of my wallet being clipped to my bag. Less to fumble around with and less potential to lose something important.
Everything fits with plenty of spare room. I love it!http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160916/4807006ab4cb88244d03019ae9ce8898.jpg

BPritchard
09-22-2016, 09:27 AM
I just got a small cafe bag and am trying to decide what accessories to get for it. I love the organizer pouches but have a hard time visualizing size and how it will fit. So, what are your favorite accessories/sizes to go with the SCB?

To help me visualize items; I cut out the item using newspaper and taping together based on measurements of the item.

crowdgoeswild
12-07-2016, 04:03 PM
These visuals are great! Bumping this thread to ask the collective hive mind a few more questions...

What do you use or suggest for the following? I'm putting my possible buys in parentheses, as I try to narrow down my shopping list. These are a few of the EDC/often items that are still loose in my bag.

-earbuds (Q kit mini?)

-an inhaler (organizer pouch? what size?)

-loose change (currently in clear organizer wallet, but may be better in a Q kit?)

-iPad mini (padded organizer pouch? what size? how much "give" does the fabric have?)

-MacBook cord with the extension attached- currently just lives in the bottom pocket of my S19 but looking for a better way (straps? a pouch? not sure.)

-Small external hard drive (padded org pouch?) [size: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H4XH5FY/ref=psdc_595048_t1_B0195XZJ9E?th=1]

Thanks for suggestions!

KmK
12-07-2016, 06:04 PM
I'd suggest the earbuds in an organizer pouch and the inhaler in the Q-kit... My buds coil nicely into a mini size op. The q-kit is poofy...allowing for the structure of an inhaler... I am picturing an inhaler that is shaped like a periscope?

mreh
12-07-2016, 06:47 PM
I second KmK. I put my inhaler in a small Qkit. It fits perfectly. My ear buds go into a mini OP very well.

Kshni
12-07-2016, 07:15 PM
-earbuds (Q kit mini?)

-an inhaler (organizer pouch? what size?)

-loose change (currently in clear organizer wallet, but may be better in a Q kit?)

-iPad mini (padded organizer pouch? what size? how much "give" does the fabric have?)

-MacBook cord with the extension attached- currently just lives in the bottom pocket of my S19 but looking for a better way (straps? a pouch? not sure.)

-Small external hard drive (padded org pouch?) [size: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H4XH5FY/ref=psdc_595048_t1_B0195XZJ9E?th=1]

I have my earbuds in a mini halcyon organiser pouch. I don't have an inhaler, but my partner does, so a mini Q-kit is ideal for that. (I use the mini Q-kit for my floss, lip balm, tiny mirror, yes, it can hold all that and still have room.) I also use a mini Q-kit for all my loose change (here in Britain, we seem to love our coins!).

I have an iPad mini, it has its own protective case that protects it when I'm using it, so I slot it directly into my Cafe Bag. However, I do have a medium padded organiser pouch, and if I pop out the iPad from its protective case, it easily fits. (I do have to wiggle it some if I put the iPad and its case inside the medium padded organiser pouch.)

I'm guessing your cord and its extension could fit into a small Q-kit (don't know, this is my wild shot in the dark.) Our plugs here in the UK are enormous, so even for my iPhone, I use a small Q-kit to contain the plug, cable (tied with a NiteIze), and car-cigarette-lighter USB adapter; yes, there's still room in the Q-kit for more, but I like having different bags for different purposes.

If your external hard drive is the size of mine (barely larger than a credit card) the small padded organiser pouch (https://www.tombihn.com/collections/accessories/products/padded-organizer-pouch?variant=16620969479) might be ideal. You could probably put its cable in the same Q-kit as your other power cables.

CelloDiva
01-17-2017, 08:13 PM
I have an external router/repeater/data drive/backup battery about the same size as the sea gate. There are lots of soft and hard cases that size that also have little mesh pockets inside that I use for a USB connector set and earbuds. I picked up a bob into-like wind around for my buds, but my friend had the nest which is much handier especially since it then doesn't need a case.

Check out Amazon and container store for ideas too. I love TB but I have a great padded neoprene sleeve for my iPad and MacBook that hold more and cost much less. Unless you want the rail system for other bags, I'd stick to different sleeves.

For the MacBook power cable, do you really need it? I leave mine at home and just charge at night most days, and I get about 10 hours of hardcore use. I have this (https://www.amazon.com/Connector-DC-MagSafe-Cable-5-5x2-5mm/dp/B00JQ4I4D6/ref=pd_cp_147_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=DZMKAP4SJRZW1M3DPEZX) for emergencies so I can recharge off my block battery kit that I also keep for jumping my car on emergencies (I didn't see the need for a more portable power pack). I only take my mag safe charger if I'm traveling.

capncat
01-18-2017, 06:35 AM
it's a tight squeeze, but my inhaler fits well enough in a mini halcyon OP (even when packed along with a few other bits, like a bulky spare car key, some tiny baggies of ibuprofen and allergy meds, small iphone charging cable, a credit card and a bit of emergency cash), and equally well in the mini q-kit. (probably more accessible in the q-kit, but since i don't need mine very often these days, it's not much of a problem).

CelloDiva
01-22-2017, 05:31 PM
FWIW - I came across a pic of the small 3d packing cube (with two clear sides) holding a magsafe charger on one side with other mac cables and a set of earbuds, and then other stuff on the other side. I have a bunch of meds I have to travel with, along with my inhaler, epi pens, and chewable benadryl with chewable zantac for emergencies. I'm thinking the charger and my backup battery/router/drive (RAV Power Filehub 5 in 1) (https://www.amazon.com/RAVPower-Wireless-Companion-Streamer-External/dp/B00INMB23Q/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1485134567&sr=8-3-fkmr0&keywords=backup+battery+router+mini+portable+flash ) as well as my pouch o' chargers (mini usb, mini 2, lightning, etc.) on one side, and meds packs on the other. A little big, but more useful than other options - I suspect!

CelloDiva
03-07-2017, 06:30 AM
One last update - I went with an nicely sized mini Eagle Creek (pack-it system) for my inhaler, epi pens, and chewable Benadryl & Tagamet. It is a much better fit for the epi pen, and could easily fit an inhaler, OTC pain relief, a mini first aid-kit (very mini), earbuds, or what have you. It's long and thin and cabled to my Synapse in the inside pocket, works very well. What did you wind up doing?