PDA

View Full Version : Makers Bag and Absolute Strap

kigyoku
09-16-2016, 10:14 AM
I just got a Maker's Bag and am finding it to be a bit heavy with the standard strap.

Does the Absolute Strap make a huge difference in making bags easier to carry? Can Bihners comment on their experience?

Thanks!

Meglet
09-16-2016, 10:40 AM
I tried an Absolute Strap on my Maker's Bag, and I found that it didn't make a big difference plus the shoulder pad was hard to adjust to the right place for swinging the bag around. I went back to using the standard strap and it works much better for me.

adalangdon
09-16-2016, 11:42 AM
Also, you may want to have a look at the "Pilot is Awesome" thread for more and very recent feedback on the absolute strap.

Just so you know, there really is a lot to be found on common topics like whether the absolute strap is worth it, whether halcyon is "better" than cordura for backpacks, etc. by performing a forum search or by googling the forum. As in, I reckon one would be able to get a semi-complete answer for a common general query after 10 to 15min of searching, which would be faster than posting a fresh query and waiting for others to answer, if you get my drift.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tpnl
09-16-2016, 12:04 PM
My personal experience is that the Absolute Shoulder Strap does make things more comfortable to carry - especially if you have a heavy load. If carrying a light load, you may not feel the difference. This is because the comfort is derived from the neoprene material "bounce" that the Absolute has - acting like a shock absorber - as well as the ergonomic curvature of the pad itself. A light carry does not use the shock absorbing characteristics as much. In carrying my Tri-Star across airports on my shoulder, it is fantastic. However, no matter how good a shoulder strap is, it still will not eliminate any issues due to shoulder / back injuries - just perhaps lessen them a bit - YMMV. I use my Absolute with my Ristretto and do not have any issues swinging it around the 90 or so degrees I need (I tend to open it up on my side while wearing it but swing it to my backside when walking). I also carry on one shoulder and not cross body.

The only caveat I have is when using your bag as @Meglet mentions. Needing to swing your bag around back to front a lot is enough swing to usually require a "floating" pad. The Absolute Shoulder Strap padding is in a fixed location and, in fact, is meant to stay in one spot on your shoulder - ie not slip off your business jacket. So, if needing what I call "Messenger Style" or cross-body functionality to slide you bag front to back fully, the Absolute strap may not be the best option - perhaps a regular strap with the ultrasuede wrap might do the trick economically:

Ultrasuede Shoulder Strap Wrap (https://www.tombihn.com/collections/accessories/products/ultrasuede-strap-wrap?variant=16645280135)

For reference, here are a few Absolute Strap reviews:

Part 1 (comparing to the original TB Absolute Shoulder Strap which was not curved):
Shoulder Strap Comparo (http://www.practicalhacks.com/2009/05/28/travel-gear-shoulder-strap-showdown-4-contenders-for-best-bag-strap/)

Part 2:
Absolute Strap Update (http://www.practicalhacks.com/2009/10/26/absolute-strap-update-the-best-shoulder-strap-gets-better/)

Hope this helps
Cheers!

kayaking
09-16-2016, 12:58 PM
I found that my Maker's bag with my daily load and my Night Flight when traveling by air the Absolute really makes the difference! I don't use the absolute when I travel by car with the Night Flight. This was the first week I put the padded shoulder strap on my Medium cafe but we were walking around London full days with it so it really helped.

kigyoku
09-16-2016, 02:14 PM
Thanks, Everyone for your comments and advice.

I'm pretty new to the Forum, so am still getting my head around finding the information.

Happy weekend!