PDA

View Full Version : Pilot

GrussGott
09-22-2016, 06:14 PM
Here's a combo hack from @Tpnl (piggy-back hack (https://vimeo.com/160672776#t=123s)) @MsFerret (seat-back hack (https://vimeo.com/160672777#t=91s))- Thanks!

* 1 Pilot
* 1 PCSB
* Optional: 1 7" tablet Cache
* Optional: 2 size #3 or #4 NiteIze black S-biners
* Optional: 5/8 "security" strap or a few long key straps
* Optional: 1 DLBP

I piggy-back the PCSB on my Pilot onto the aircraft, then when I sit down, I disconnect the PCSB from the Pilot, and hook it onto the seat-back pocket. In the PCSB main pocket are a SE ditty kit (with phones, snacks, tissues, and such) and Bose QC35s; in the front pocket is my 7" tablet.

I also use a 5/8 shoulder strap and attach it back to my Pilot which is under the seat in case I use the bathroom and so I don't forget / lose it.

And, yes! The whole loaded assembly fits into a DLBP if you want to switch to bp-mode:

Kendle98
10-11-2016, 05:46 AM
I love my pilot. Thanks for sharing the PCSB piggy back option, I had forgotten about this set up. I'm looking forward to trying this out with my bags. Also using the shoulder strap to keep the two bags linked while separated is clever and addresses the issue about the possibility of forgetting one of them.

Sacharissa
10-11-2016, 12:59 PM
Great! Now I need a Black Halcyon Pilot, PCSB and DLBP! (Why? Because I Just Love Black Halcyon! (https://forums.tombihn.com/general-bag-discussion/11633-i-just-love-black-halcyon.html)) You're a true enabler, GrussGott!

Cronus
11-03-2016, 06:33 PM
I've got a Pilot arriving tomorrow that I'm super excited about! Anyone else care to share some of their organizational tips for the Pilot? Maybe with some photos to let me get some good sleep on this Tom Bihn arrival eve! :-D

BWeaves
11-04-2016, 05:02 AM
Organizational tips? I put a side effect in one of the front pockets to use as a purse later in my trip. I put my Clear 3-D cube in the other front pocket with room to spare. I put a stuff sack (size 2 I think) in the water bottle pocket, to make non-water bottle items easier to retrieve. 3-D cubes also go in the pockets in the back. A horizontal cache fits in the back when I need my 13" Macbook Pro. And a small Eagle Creek Specter packing folder fits in the back pocket with some room to spare.

GrussGott
11-04-2016, 08:42 AM
I don't know if this counts but

Briefcase pack
* work laptop in the rear (I usually go cacheless, i.e. commando)
* its powerbrick and cords goes in the left rear pocket
* my one and only clipped pouch goes in the right rear pocket with smartcard, phone dongle, extra headset batteries, and the headset itself
* front right gets a spare phone battery, a spare phone, pens, cords and other doo-dads
* front left pocket gets a small bag of cords, earbuds, and other items, and my bose OE soundlinks that I use for calls
* Center get a contigo or water bottle

Travel Pack
* the laptop and powerbrick go into my WF or A45
* A PCSB (config'd for seat pouch duty as above) with my airplane ditty kit and Bowers & Wilkins P7 wireless headphones goes into the rear pocket
* A 7" tablet in a cache goes into the left rear pocket along with a string of keychain clips I use to connect to my PCSB when it's connected to the seatback pocket
* Everything else the same

vkigus
12-10-2016, 12:54 PM
This is my son's dance bag.

Front pocket (left): Side Effect with 2 pairs of blister socks, asthma inhaler, medical tape, Aleve, Claritin, DayQuil. Not pictured: ankle brace, Altoids.

Front pocket (right): deodorant. Not pictured: wallet, keys, phone, roll of duct tape.

Front pocket (center): water bottle

Main pocket: IKEA shoe bag with two pairs of backup shoes, two pairs of performance shoes.

He wears a US Men's size 10.5 in street shoes, and yes the Pilot holds 4 PAIRS of his dance shoes! There is still plenty of room in this bag. Mary Poppins has nothing on Tom Bihn.

CelloDiva
01-17-2017, 08:39 PM
I'm lost - what's an SE ditty kit, and what's the grey sleeve poking out of what looks like your side effect? I'm trying to decide if I'm going to get a side effect but I want more org in my org bag in my Synapse 25, lol!

tpnl
01-17-2017, 09:21 PM
Ditty Bag - this is what I think @GrussGott is referencing (let me know if I am wrong about this). You can Google "Ditty Bag" for more info -from one site:

Ditty bag comes from the days of sailing ships: On each side of the berth-deck, termed “the wings,” are racks for the accommodation of canvass bags; each man has one in which he keeps his clothes, and a little bag or reticule called “a ditty bag,” containing all the implements of his housewifery, such as thimble, needles, tapes, thread, &c, for you must know that every genuine seaman is always his own tailor, hatter, and very frequently his own shoemaker.
- from The Journal of Belles Lettres, Philadelphia, 1833.

Ditty bag remained a term exclusively of the sea until the twentieth century. Landlubbers took it up and used it for any small cloth container for items of kit or miscellaneous stuff. It’s almost completely defunct in the UK but survives widely in North America in all sorts of situations.

I learned a new term :) @GrussGott is functionally using the Packing Cube Shoulder Bag (PCSB) as a Ditty Kit / Bag.

Also, the "grey sleeve" in the first post is not poking out of the Side Effect (SE). The Grey (actually NorthWest Sky or NWS color) is the inside lining color of the Blue Nordic Packing Cube Backpack (PCBP) you see in the previous picture which has been pulled back to show the inside contents. Also note that it is a Packing Cube Shoulder Bag (PCSB) you see in the picture and not an SE (the SE is inside the PCSB if I understand how it was packed). There is also a Pilot peeking out from behind the PCSB.

I hope I am referencing the right pictures you had the questions on.

Hope this helps

Cheers!

Kaadk
01-18-2017, 04:17 AM
I think "grey sleeve" means just that, a sleeve i.e. a cache. When I look at the photos, his cache for his 7" tablet, which is sticking out of his PCSB, looks more like a dark grey than the normal cache black.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CelloDiva
01-22-2017, 05:16 PM
Ah, with you now. Someone referred to an SE ditty bag, which made me wonder if it was a different product from the regular ditty bag. The acronyms are confusing at times for a noob! Thanks - it was the cache that intrigued me :-)

Talkshop90
01-28-2017, 02:03 PM
Wow, vkigus, that's impressive. I'm always on the lookout for ways to justify my TB purchases. I hadn't though of it for an athletic bag until now. How easy or hard is it to freshen up? I would still want to use it for travel without smelling like a locker room.

kieri
03-16-2018, 07:51 PM
I'm always amazed at the capacity of the Pilot's little bro, personally.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180317/42f5b2bc38cc5a431a5f191ec6bfdc5b.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180317/1dfbb9dc95f3d23b3016834f8cfb20a9.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180317/55446a69e2eeb735c67227488c60b103.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

pammy
03-16-2018, 09:38 PM
@kieri, thanks for the pictures. I never think to use mine in that way. It's very impressive how much you can stuff in there. And don't you love the 200d Side Effect? It's a twin to my wasabi, which is one of my favorite TB items. I wish they would start making them again, especially in Island and UV. :)

kieri
03-16-2018, 10:11 PM
The Wasabi Side Effect and Spiff Kit are both new to me, and I'm in love with both of them. I think the 200d Travel Cubelets are a nice compromise, but i would love a chance at a UV or Viridian Side Effect.