PDA

View Full Version : Night Flight Travel Duffel

nukediver
09-28-2016, 06:15 AM
I have been all over the forums, scanning and devouring all things NFTD, but am still wondering if I should order this bag again. I tried it once, and its smallness put me off, so much so that I returned it. Dazzle me with how best to organize this bag for use as a personal item on a flight, which is where I see myself using it most. Aaaaaand GO!

Yokosmom
09-28-2016, 11:53 AM
I am no help at all, but I am anxious to see the replies, as the NFTD is something that I have also been considering. It looks very small to me, but would be perfect for a personal item carry-on if not for the fact that I often travel with a small musical instrument.

turnleftbrighteyes
09-28-2016, 02:05 PM
I'm really very pleased with my Night Flight. It doesn't work for every trip, but when it works, it's really quite perfect. And in my case, it's perfect as the personal item (i.e., the thing that goes under the seat) on longish flight in economy.

I particularly like how easy it is to access everything in the the side compartments. Between the two pockets, I can fit Bose over-the-ear headphones in their case, an iPad mini, my travel wallet (roughly the size of a regular Midori Traveller), my stuffed-to-the gills 3-1-1 Ziplock, a paperback or two, a pouch with sundries (gum, earplugs, eye mask, mini-charger, pens, lip balm.)

A pair of women's size 8.5/39 heels will fit in the end compartment as well. (I posted a picture of such a thing a while back.) Weirdly, heels fit better than flats. Still that's the big downfall with this bag, is that unless your feet are tiny, shoes don't fit well or really eat up a lot of space.

I don't find the main compartment as easy to get to for quick access (say walking in the terminal), but that's where I stuff a NFTD packing cube with a change of clothes for when I get off the plane and possibly a thin sweater. I usually also put a rather bulky cube with multiple outlets and USB ports in there as well. I can usually fit a pair of light slippers (I'm a women's 8.5/39) that I wear on the plane. I recently tried test packing, though, and I realized I could get several days of clothes (underthings, a pair of pants, a couple jersey shirts, two dresses) in the main compartment as well.

Two NFTD packing cubes fit in the main section, and one will also fit in each of the end compartments. The Eagle Creek Spectre Half Cubes and the Muji Small packing cubes also fit very well in those spots as well. I only have one official NFTD cube, so I usually use it in the main, with the Muji cube, and that leaves enough room to squeeze the aforementioned slippers on top.

I kind of wish there was a NFTD that just had the 2 end pockets (in the same orientation they are now), without the center compartment, for an even smaller bag. I love the organization and how everything feels very balanced, especially since it seems heavy-ish electronics and books end up on the sides.

The downside to the NFTD is that larger/bulkier items-- primarily shoes!-- are a poor fit, so even though it fits plenty of clothes and stuff, I'm always reluctant to use it as a weekender. The other issue is that it doesn't fit magazines or a larger water bottle, so I usually feel like I need either a tote or a shopping bag on the plane with it. I'm a weirdo who usually checks my Aeronaut, so that's fine for me, but it would be pressing it (or a bit unkind to other passengers) to have an A45, NFTD, and a Shop Bag as carry-ons. It's also too large to technically be the personal item on BA, which I'm flying more these days, although it would be perfect as the underseat bag in World Traveller Plus (premium economy). One just can't combine it with anything larger.

kayaking
09-28-2016, 02:31 PM
This is the most well loved of my bihn bags. I use the maker's and/or MCB daily but the nftd has my heart.

Work trip flying: 2nd bag to my Osprey 18inch roller. The nftd fits under the seat and holds snacks, wool sweater, cords/chargers, & my iPad mini. I also can fit my 311 bag and a cube of extra clothes. (I'm a petite 5 ft)

Work overnight driving: this fits my pjs, extra set of clothes and toiletries. (Chargers/iPad mini and such are in the maker's which is my work EDC.

Travel fun flying: just returned from 8 day trip with nftd, shop bag, MCB and 2 46liter osprey backpacks. The nftd fit my husband and my combined 311, iPad mini, nook, pashmina scarf, nftd cube of extra clothes for me, another cube of shirt and underwear for hubby, cube filled w snacks (I have celiac so carry multiple snacks), car keys, notepad, 2 small cameras, phones, passports, qkit of figurines, & a yarn sack (size1?) filled with what seems like every charger ever designed. We carried sweaters and water bottles in the shop bag and used the nftd as our combined carry on.

I highly recommend the packing cubes that come with it. I prefer them to the eagle creek in this bag. Course I just ordered 2 more before this most recent trip so 4 now live in my home. I also throw the cubes in my maker's if I need extra clothes during the day.

kayaking
09-28-2016, 02:34 PM
Oooo a nf without the middle section???? I see my new EDC in that one......

Amy G
09-28-2016, 03:11 PM
I use the NFTD routinely for weekend trips and it has more room than you would think. In the main section you can put 3 NFTD packing cubes standing on edge. I sometimes use nonTB packing cubes which also fit. In one end pocket I put my SSK with lots of room left over. In the other end I put a CQPC with my underthings. I have put womens size 7.5 Teva sandals in the end pocket.

nukediver
09-28-2016, 03:25 PM
These responses are great, thanks!

bradnd99
09-28-2016, 06:23 PM
Yes its small but it holds a lot. I usually use it for all of my technology and toiletries (with space for souvenirs), while all of my clothes go in my Aeronaut. If I don't need to take a laptop (i.e. a personal trip, not work trip), then its a perfect travel bag.

In the plane, it fits underneath the seat in front of me with space for my feet on each side.

In the hotel, its a great organizer for all the odds and ends.

GrussGott
10-01-2016, 06:47 PM
I'm really starting to think of one of these for my personal item ... right now I use the pilot which I love for my travel briefcase, but for the plane I find myself wanting something that not a backpack (since I backpack the A45 or WF), but is more roomy than the Pilot. Originally I was thinking of getting another WF, but that wasn't quite right either as I tried to imagine it last week ... but this might be perfect! I carry full sized headphones and a travel pillow in a stuff sack - that doesn't really work in the Pilot, but it would easily work in the NFTD ... and I could also easily fit my PCSB that has my ditty bag and headphones into the main compartment leaving me lots of room for other stuff ... hmmm ... this could be a winner

nukediver
10-16-2016, 08:25 AM
I did finally order another NFTD, in Burnt Orange, which is due to arrive tomorrow. I also realized it might be just the right bag to keep in my car when I'm not using it on airplanes. I need to keep a pair of jeans, a polo shirt, socks, and some toiletries with me at all times since I'm always on call, and since I may need to change at work if I'm the least bit dressed up. Tomorrow will be the longest workday EVER.

kayaking
10-17-2016, 07:03 PM
Pictures?!

nukediver
10-18-2016, 05:54 PM
Soon, probably over the weekend. I'm running an emergency response exercise tomorrow and have been running around like mad this week. It arrived yesterday but I haven't had time to do more than look at it for a few minutes!

G42
09-03-2017, 01:10 PM
I received my NFTD a couple days ago. I like how the foam insert gives some rigidity, but I also removed it to play around with space...
The cubes are not available right now, so I put in two Eagle Creek Specter Half Cubes (rotated at right angles) and they fit fine if they're not completely packed tight. I could then put my 3DOC as a 311 in there, just like the NFTD page suggests...
Mostly I'm going to use this as my personal item for long overnight flights, so instead of the cubes, I can fit an 11" long (it squishes a bit) lumbar pillow plus Bucky mini neck pillow in the main compartment, with my long sleeve zip fleece folded on top.
For the ends, I put a long backup battery and my SE in one end and on the other I can fit two Eagle Creek Specter Quarter Cubes, standing upright, along with my Kindle.
None of it is jammed tight, you can fit a surprisingly large amount of stuff in these... having one or both main compartment panels zip down like in the A30/45s would be cool.18857

gqb
09-04-2017, 02:26 PM
I received my NFTD a couple days ago. I like how the foam insert gives some rigidity, but I also removed it to play around with space...
The cubes are not available right now, so I put in two Eagle Creek Specter Half Cubes (rotated at right angles) and they fit fine if they're not completely packed tight. I could then put my 3DOC as a 311 in there, just like the NFTD page suggests...
Mostly I'm going to use this as my personal item for long overnight flights, so instead of the cubes, I can fit an 11" long (it squishes a bit) lumbar pillow plus Bucky mini neck pillow in the main compartment, with my long sleeve zip fleece folded on top.
For the ends, I put a long backup battery and my SE in one end and on the other I can fit two Eagle Creek Specter Quarter Cubes, standing upright, along with my Kindle.
None of it is jammed tight, you can fit a surprisingly large amount of stuff in these... having one or both main compartment panels zip down like in the A30/45s would be cool.18857

The eagle creek half cubes will also fit in the end pockets, again if not over packed. Leaving the main padded section free for your toiletry bag and any other 'no squish' items.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

Denise Denise
09-05-2017, 07:11 AM
And its the perfect Toiletry and odds and ends bag for a road trip. Most bottles fit in the middle standing up....I recently used it for all my shampoo, soap, makeup, etc...for a 5 day trip.

Pokilani
09-05-2017, 10:45 AM
I'm regretting opening this thread! After losing my mini Yeoman in London in May, I went back and forth between getting another one or getting the NFTD. I decided to wait for the mini to come back in stock (over two months, which coincided with my birthday) in my preferred color. I really LOVE having the Navy mini back as it is a perfect running essentials bag for me. Plus, it's so darn cute! But, while I was traveling with it, I really wished for the side pockets of the NFTD. Thanks a lot, Tom Bihn, for always making me WANT ALL THE BAGS!

weirdguy
11-18-2017, 03:46 PM
I'm not sure whether anyone had shared their experience with NFTD as a Diaper Bag, an alternative to Parental Unit. Bigger and it could be a totally different experience. If there is, please help point me to right link. I'd been looking to learn more.

Sometimes, I hope my Parental Unit is a bit bigger. It is already quite full with baby clothing, baby snacks, baby this and that. Plus, my wife's common thick wallet and her makeup pouch! I actually really like the Parental Unit, even more after refitted the Shoulder Strap with Mission Workshop Quick Release Strap for cross-body/messaging style.

My is 1st Gen, though. I kinda wonder how the 2nd Gen's improvement be more versatile.

bbcamp
11-19-2017, 08:10 AM
This thread has made me curious: I often carry an A30 on long-haul flights as my personal item, and seem to use it as many here use the NFTD. Only thing I don't like is the difficulty of carrying a laptop.
How does the NFTD work in this regard?
What does one gain with the NFTD which can't be done with the A30?

bchaplin
11-19-2017, 08:37 AM
Well, I have both and they serve very different purposes. For me, the A30 is more of a suitcase-substitute. The A30 usually goes in the overhead, whereas I usually stash the NFTD under the seat in front of me.

I have used the NFTD as my only bag for very quick trips, as a bag to bring in the house when I don't want to unpack my main suitcase (when I was just staying someplace for one night), and it has served as a substitute nightstand when I'm staying with relatives who don't have a table near the guest bed.

The NFTD was designed for those budget airlines that have very restrictive sizes for what they allow as a "free" carry-on. I think the terminology gets confusing, because some airlines consider a "personal item" what you can bring along with your carry-on, and in some cases it is the only bag you are allowed without paying a fee. The maximum sizes and weights are all over the place, and for some airlines even the NFTD is technically over the dimensions allowed as a second bag, but for most it is within the dimensions allowed as an only bag. But either way, the NFTD is much smaller capacity (2/3 of the A30), and much lighter. Of course you give up the backpack straps.

I'm replying to @bbcamp -- sorry, this doesn't answer the diaper bag question. Honestly, I'd find it REALLY bulky for that, particularly if I was pushing a stroller or carrying a kid. It seems like a shoulder bag such as the Parental Unit, or a backpack, would be easier to haul around. The Synapse 19 is about the same capacity, for instance, as the NFTD.

RDR3
11-19-2017, 09:38 AM
@weirdguy
I have used both as a diaper bag and they both work great. If I'm carrying the baby though, I prefer the shape and weight distribution of the PU over the NFTD. For road trips and plane trips, definitely the NFTD over the PU. I did not notice much of a difference space wise between the second version of the PU and the NFTD and it could be because of what is usually packed for kids. If I was looking for more space, I switch to either the S25 or SA. The backpack mode also makes it more balanced to carry that weight and the weight of the baby/baby carrier.
HTH

bbcamp
11-25-2017, 05:15 PM
Well, I have both and they serve very different purposes. For me, the A30 is more of a suitcase-substitute. The A30 usually goes in the overhead, whereas I usually stash the NFTD under the seat in front of me.

I have used the NFTD as my only bag for very quick trips, as a bag to bring in the house when I don't want to unpack my main suitcase (when I was just staying someplace for one night), and it has served as a substitute nightstand when I'm staying with relatives who don't have a table near the guest bed.

The NFTD was designed for those budget airlines that have very restrictive sizes for what they allow as a "free" carry-on. I think the terminology gets confusing, because some airlines consider a "personal item" what you can bring along with your carry-on, and in some cases it is the only bag you are allowed without paying a fee. The maximum sizes and weights are all over the place, and for some airlines even the NFTD is technically over the dimensions allowed as a second bag, but for most it is within the dimensions allowed as an only bag. But either way, the NFTD is much smaller capacity (2/3 of the A30), and much lighter. Of course you give up the backpack straps.

I'm replying to @bbcamp -- sorry, this doesn't answer the diaper bag question. Honestly, I'd find it REALLY bulky for that, particularly if I was pushing a stroller or carrying a kid. It seems like a shoulder bag such as the Parental Unit, or a backpack, would be easier to haul around. The Synapse 19 is about the same capacity, for instance, as the NFTD.

Thanks!
do you carry a laptop in the NFTD?

Talkshop90
11-25-2017, 06:02 PM
Thanks!
do you carry a laptop in the NFTD?

A laptop won't fit. An iPad fits only if you are creative. The bag is quite compartmentalized. I still love it though.