PDA

View Full Version : Synapse 25 for a digital nomad

stefanfrede
10-20-2016, 01:32 PM
Hi,

after working remotely for quite some time now I decided finally to use this opportunity and start traveling the world while working on the go.

I stumbled over Tom Bihns Synapse 25 quite some time ago and decided that when I will start traveling that this would be my weapon of choice.

And now that the time has come I'm completely overwhelmed by the possibilities.

Maybe someone can help me figuring out if I overdid my configuration and/or missed something essential, or would recommend something which I oversaw.

My current set-up looks like this:

Synapse 25
Side Effect tethered with 16" Key Strap
Cache for 13" Macbook
Snake Charmer tethered with 16" Key Strap
Tri-Star Medium Packing Cube
Spiff Kit
2x Travel Stuff Sack Size 1
Travel Stuff Sack Size 2
Travel Laundry Stuff Sack (small)
Clear Organizer Wallet
Mesh Organizer Pouch

Because I'm located in Germany and the whole shipping procedure can be quite cumbersome I would love to hit the Bullseye with my first order and therefor every help is much appreciated and a big thank you in advance!

Best,
- Stefan

kieri
10-20-2016, 01:54 PM
What is your proposed packing list like? You have a lot of organizers here, but the Synapse already has a lot of built-in organization. How do you picture using these accessories? The SE or the SC or the TLSS works well in the S25 bottom compartment, but not all three. If you're carrying clothing in a packing cube, you might not need a cache. If you're traveling with liquid toiletries, a 3DCOC might be a better bet than the Spiff Kit.

GrussGott
10-20-2016, 02:39 PM
For digital nomading, personally I'd get the HsJ or, at a minimum, the brain bag with DLBP and potentially a cafe bag or pilot. Overall, if you haven't done that level of traveling before I'd recommend doing it to get a sense for what you like ... maybe your first trip can be to Seattle? :)

stefanfrede
10-20-2016, 10:03 PM
What is your proposed packing list like? You have a lot of organizers here, but the Synapse already has a lot of built-in organization. How do you picture using these accessories? The SE or the SC or the TLSS works well in the S25 bottom compartment, but not all three. If you're carrying clothing in a packing cube, you might not need a cache. If you're traveling with liquid toiletries, a 3DCOC might be a better bet than the Spiff Kit.

I guess my packing list will tend to go in this direction: https://rafal.io/posts/ultralight-travel.html. Going over the pack lists of my last hiking vacations I guess it is safe to put me into the (ultra)light camp. I also do have a thing for organising stuff (I can't help myself, I'm german).

I thought about the SE going into the bottom front pocket and the SC, TLSS, SK/3DOC and Cache in the main compartment.

Thinking about organising stuff maybe a large TLSS with two smaller ones would be a better choice and thinking about paper stuff and such a Freudian Slip wouldn't hurt *sigh*.

stefanfrede
10-20-2016, 10:21 PM
For digital nomading, personally I'd get the HsJ or, at a minimum, the brain bag with DLBP and potentially a cafe bag or pilot. Overall, if you haven't done that level of traveling before I'd recommend doing it to get a sense for what you like ... maybe your first trip can be to Seattle? :)

I'm aiming for one backpack to rule them all and therefor the S25 seems to be a good choice. I already did, frankly very few, trips where I traveled for a short period of time (more in the 1 week region) and worked on the go, but now I want to expand time frame and reach. And thinking about where to go is a different beast altogether and gives me headaches (the fun ones :)).

Fulton
10-21-2016, 05:33 AM
The S25 is great. I have worked out organization plans over time so you might find a second purchase is worthwhile in the future, but your list looks smart.

Consider picking a yarn stuff sack for one or more of your stuff sacks. They have a snap hook on the outside and a triangular piece on the inside. That lets you hook the sack to the S25's o-rings with a key strap. I've found that really helpful when I'm worried about security or just worried that I will forgot something and leave it behind.

In the same vein, consider a key strap for the pouch. I use those like wallets in most bags, and the straps keeps me from losing the pouch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jujigatame
10-22-2016, 07:02 PM
The mini Q-kit is a great thing to have for any bag. The shape is great at handling items that tend to bulge in flat pouches yet it still takes up very little room wherever it goes.

overkill22
10-23-2016, 09:47 AM
I was thinking to get the synapse 25, instead I took the Smart Alec. It is much better as it has only 3 zip and all are closing towards you, so it would be difficoult for tiefs to open it. However, I like the organization of the S25 and would be my second choice.

ZoeBios121
10-24-2016, 02:08 PM
A youtuber I follow uses a S19 as for her everything digital nomad pack. It's at least her second iteration and so she's learned to cut out what she doesn't need. I suggest looking at some of her videos as she covers how she handles just about everything and is quite responsive to comments.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8IOrUXUraw

Good luck with your packing

stefanfrede
10-25-2016, 04:19 AM
Yay, now I'm thinking about a S19 and start all over again :) Thank you all for your tips so far!

AVService
10-25-2016, 05:54 AM
I know the one Rabbit Hole for me with organizing for a Nomadic style of travel life is over doing it somehow.
I know it seems counter intuitive in words but I have fond that if I take an already well organized bag and keep subdividing it I end up with a less and not more streamlined setup in the end.

If I use the already great pockets in the bag to stuff items into directly then I don't need intermediate cases and pockets which can end up taking up usable space and making things harder to find instead of easier for me.

I know there is no right or wrong way to organize that works for all of us but I have learned for myself that trying to discipline my packing away from other pouches gives me a whole lot more usable space every time.

So where I used to have a bag in the bag for Flashlights and Tools I now try to use the slots already there for this type of thing or even dedicate one built-in pocket for tools overall(i have to have my tools!).
Another example is clothes for me,I am not a fashion follower at all and if I can get m clothes in the main compartment by themselves somehow I don't take up space with packing sleeves which help me very little anyway and I am not beyond just cramming them back in there if I have to post TSA or having then inside a plastic grocery bag which adds ZERO bulk or complexity to already premiun limited space in any bag.

I am pretty sure you get the idea and I promise you will have more space if carefully deciding what needs to be packaged again inside an already great package!

GrussGott
10-25-2016, 08:33 AM
I know it seems counter intuitive in words but I have fond that if I take an already well organized bag and keep subdividing it I end up with a less and not more streamlined setup in the end.

I have the exact same problem - while I have 2 pouches, that's it, I use and prefer the built-in org to adding pouches with clips

stefanfrede
10-27-2016, 09:49 PM
Thank you all again for your help. I just placed my order (and probably overdid it a tat bit) :)

@AVService I know what you mean but sometimes it is also nice to be able to empty your bag completely and somehow the stuff is still organised. I often have this while hiking and searching for something. The quickest method is to just empty the bag completely, grab what you was searching for and then put your stuff back in (which is also most often faster if it is organised in bigger chunks). But you are absolutely right, you pay for that kind of organisation with space. But hopefully this will not be an issue with the Synapse 25.