PDA

View Full Version : Eek -- I left a banana to rot in my PCSB! Or... How easy Halcyon is to clean

Lani
11-01-2016, 04:14 PM
I went down to the cafeteria and picked up a perfectly ripe banana to nosh on later that afternoon. Since I was trying to juggle a lot of other things, I just quickly tucked it into my black Halcyon Packing Cube Shoulder Bag with plans to bring it out and let it sit at my desk.

You can just see where this is going, right?

Yep -- I forgot all about the banana. The shape is such that it slipped right down to the bottom of my PCSB, and became hidden among my various organizers.

This past weekend, we traveled to a wilderness trail park in the outskirts of Phoenix. Temperatures around there were in the low 80s up until Thursday, and it's now around that now. But during the weekend itself? It hit 93 where we were camped. The banana? Oh yeah... it stayed in my PCSB.

At one point, I went rummaging through my PCSB to look for a little flashlight I knew I had in there, and wondered where the really sweet fruity fragrance was coming from. "Hmmm... it smells like... a banana? But I don't think anyone in our group packed bananas in the food bin. Odd...."

... and there it stayed.

Until Sunday night. We returned back from camp and checked into a hotel. I took my PCSB into the hotel room bathroom to brush my hair (my hairbrush was in the PCSB). I unzipped it, and WHOA NELLY -- that is DEFINITELY a banana. A very SWEET banana. .... actually, a PUNGENT banana.

All of a sudden, the phrase "Uh-oh..." escaped my lips as I started flipping various organizers over. WAYYYYYY down, tucked along one of the seams of the PCSB was... a black spot. A black long spot. I opened the PCSB and angled it to get better lighting.

...the black long spot looked... SHINY.

"Ohhhhhh....."

I moved my face closer. The smell of an overripe, completely blackened, oblong tube of mush was almost too much to bear. "OH GOD I FORGOT THE BANANA IN MY PURSE!" I said out loud. I looked up. No response from my husband. The TV is on in the room, and he doesn't hear me.

"Oh crap oh crap oh crap oh crap" I say repeatedly as I slowly start removing various Tom Bihn organizers out of my PCSB.

I'm VERY lucky. Although there is a bit of yellow mush peeking out from a slit in the banana peel, the peel itself has stayed mostly intact. It means the organizers smell like sweet bananas, but there's no mushy banana flesh on any of them, so I don't have to wash them.

The PCSB was a different matter altogether. After removing everything, I carefully peeled open the PCSB so that I was cradling the black banana in the now-empty PCSB. Carefully, I picked up the black banana. I looked at the fabric where the banana was sitting. It looks.... moist.

The sweet pungent smell is almost unbearable, and I realize that tossing it in the wastebasket wouldn't change that. So I take my hands and squeeze the innards of the banana into the toilet and let it flush. I then take what's left of the black peel, and rinse it in the bathroom sink.

The worst of the smell is gone. I then wrap the peel in multiple tissues, and toss it in the wastebasket. No strong odor!

Now for the PCSB. I turn the bag inside out, and slowly, carefully, start rinsing it under the faucet. I unwrap the bar of hotel room soap, and suds up the surface where the banana rotted.

After cleaning it out, I dab the inside of the bag with a dry washcloth. No more banana smell!

I turn the bag right side out. IT'S DRY.

I then carefully return all the organizers back into the bag.

Everything is back where it belongs, and it's as if the banana was never there!

So now, if you ever make the same mistake I made, and let your banana rot in your PCSB, know that it is easy to clean!

===============================
===============================

We took this trip so my husband could run a trail race this weekend. He participated in the Javelina Jundred (http://aravaiparunning.com/network/javelinajundred/), which is a 100-MILE race! You read right; not a cycling event; this is trail running. The race started at 6:00 in the morning on Saturday, and had a 30-hour cutoff; participants were required to finish by noon on Sunday if they were to get credit as an official finisher. I am VERY proud to say that my husband finished (in 93-degree Arizona heat, remember?) with a time of 27 hours and 39 minutes!

This is the very first 100-mile race he has finished, although he has been building up to this in the past year (he ran four 50-mile races and a 75-mile race this year). Very very proud of him!

Rocks
11-01-2016, 06:36 PM
what a story! ew ew ew !

Kaz
11-01-2016, 08:25 PM
What a story, but better, kudos to your husband!

I've had success cleaning a smear of lipstick off the inside of a cafe bag, with a little soap, water and rubbing .... glad to know that organic matter lifts off easily, too!

threeteez
11-01-2016, 09:49 PM
That's sounds like an epic running event...congrats to your husband for his, no doubt, amazing determination and fortitude! I'm glad your PCSB is unscathed. I recall that you may have an original Nordic PCSB? My first thought was I hope it's not your Nordic bag that got slimed! :)

Pokilani
11-01-2016, 09:57 PM
That's sounds like an epic running event...congrats to your husband for his, no doubt, amazing determination and fortitude! I'm glad your PCSB is unscathed. I recall that you may have an original Nordic PCSB? My first thought was I hope it's not your Nordic bag that got slimed! :)

Lani has one of the original SOLAR ones!

Glad to hear the bag is all good, Lani. And congrats to your husband! I'm trying to get back to 10k form after many injuries from half marathoning last year. You, and others here have been super inspiring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lani
11-02-2016, 11:55 AM
Lani has one of the original SOLAR ones!

Glad to hear the bag is all good, Lani. And congrats to your husband! I'm trying to get back to 10k form after many injuries from half marathoning last year. You, and others here have been super inspiring.

Thanks Poki. :)

Yep, I do have a Solar PCSB, but the banana-carrier was a black Halcyon one. :D

backpack
11-02-2016, 05:27 PM
I did the same with berry juice, in one pocket of my UV LSB. I removed the glass bottle, regular, not my and it was sticky and there was a tiny amount of juice in there.

So I removed the bottle carefully, then all the other stuff from the LSB, then I headed to the bathroom, I pulled the pocket out, rinsed the stickiness, used some of the hand soap and started cleaning, then rinsed and let it dry.

Like new, and already back in service!