PDA

View Full Version : Personal-item-only travel - thoughts after United's announcement

Hanaper
11-16-2016, 09:11 PM
United Airlines made an announcement a couple of days ago that's being summarised as "competitive fares - no cabin luggage - only a personal item".

Although I'm unlikely to fly United, there's talk about other airlines taking this up as well, so let's talk about it.

What are the bags that would count? NFTD was designed for it. After that I'm reaching for underpacked bags that might squish - DLBP, Synapse19 - or my trusty PCSB.

And what about having only the personal item? I've been reducing the size of my cabin luggage, but that had been alongside creative use of the personal item.

I know some people travel with only a Scottevest, so if I work up from that rather than down from what I currently carry, that might change my thinking. It's definitely packing with a higher degree of challenge. Only the shoes you wear? Merino-only? Wear all your layers, and pack another bag to carry them?

How would you approach it?

CNBC interview with United's CEO (http://www.cnbc.com/2016/11/15/united-to-restrict-low-fare-flyers-to-one-carry-on-bag.html)
United's definition of a personal item (https://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/travel/Pages/BaggageCarry-On.aspx)

jdowney83
11-16-2016, 09:48 PM
I will do everything I can to avoid doing business with these airlines. That said I know it isn't totally possible. I have been able to use my S25 as a personal item, so that will probably be my go to, although I know I can get an A30 under the seat if I try. I guess I will have to lighten my pack, or pay whatever fee they have, sadly airlines are not exactly like I can just fly someone else, some airlines are my only option depending on where I go.

I will go out of my way to not fly with airlines that do this in hopes it has some impact, even though I know it probably won't.

Frank II
11-17-2016, 01:48 AM
I hope people realize this is not mandatory on United for all passengers. United is offering a new fare category for people who fit into it. There are still fares for people who want to carry their bags onto the plane. And since that is the majority of the passengers, UA will see a big backlash if they price those fares too high.

Climb14er
11-17-2016, 09:32 AM
Fly Southwest... if you can.

Two things causing this... money for the airlines.

And second, whether United thinks about this... but many of us who travel very lightly, with real travel bags that adhere to traveling lightly standards...

Many of us are downright tired of folks who try to bring on board, larger than allowed wheelies, suitcases, backpacks and multiple items... these cause disruptions in the cabins and cause time delays for the crews and the airlines.

The same folks who want to save some money by not checking in their overweight and bulbous so called carry-on, are causing the airlines to treat conscientious flyers... like the rest of the self absorbed flyers who don't give a darn!

This is the first time I've said all this on a forum but I for one, like many of you, like to travel lightly... and comfortably.

AVService
11-17-2016, 10:24 AM
Fly Southwest if you can for 2 imprtant reasons!

2 Bags Fly Free! AND you can carry on.

Fly Southwest... if you can.

Two things causing this... money for the airlines.

And second, whether United thinks about this... but many of us who travel very lightly, with real travel bags that adhere to traveling lightly standards...

Many of us are downright tired of folks who try to bring on board, larger than allowed wheelies, suitcases, backpacks and multiple items... these cause disruptions in the cabins and cause time delays for the crews and the airlines.

The same folks who want to save some money by not checking in their overweight and bulbous so called carry-on, are causing the airlines to treat conscientious flyers... like the rest of the self absorbed flyers who don't give a darn!

This is the first time I've said all this on a forum but I for one, like many of you, like to travel lightly... and comfortably.

Hanaper
11-17-2016, 10:38 AM
Not a user of US domestic airlines here, but thanks for the advice. :)

Ultraminimalist travel, though: what would it be like? Especially, what would it be like if you're not 20 and going somewhere warm?

I feel like it should be possible, and that it's an appealing intellectual challenge, but I haven't yet worked out how I'd do it.

(Partly looking for distraction from local current events, okay? Work with me here. :) )

kathryn
11-17-2016, 10:41 AM
My take on this is that it's really a big deal for those who work for companies that mandate the lowest available economy fare. Some companies, including mine, made allowances for this, and I'm allowed to book regular economy on Delta, which rolled out a similar product awhile back. I expect them to do the same for United. Not everyone traveling for work will be so lucky.

And, if you're like me, your work carry is much bigger than your leisure carry. :) My work bag is my A45 + DLBP or S25, depending; my vacation bag is my A30 + nothing, and I've done it with my S25 once. I think I could manage it again, as long as I'm not going to the arctic. I guess I could use this fare class on United just fine--but I won't.

So, yeah, vacation travelers can vote with their wallets, and I am certainly in that group. I won't be flying "basic" or on a ULCC anytime soon, when it's my own money. However, I can see this hitting some business travelers hard, both in time and money, and that's a drag.

Saltgirl
11-18-2016, 02:08 PM
Travelling alone, I'd get myself into just my S25 and try to pack it lightly (hey! I already do that). But since my spouse needs two suitcases to himself, when travelling with him I wouldn't bother minimizing. Of course, my roll-aboard suitcase has the same dimensions as my S25...maybe we could check all his and carry on all mine. ;)

bermudajes
11-21-2016, 10:40 AM
Ultraminimalist travel, though: what would it be like? Especially, what would it be like if you're not 20 and going somewhere warm?

I feel like it should be possible, and that it's an appealing intellectual challenge, but I haven't yet worked out how I'd do it.

(Partly looking for distraction from local current events, okay? Work with me here. :) )

I recently went to Chicago for a long weekend, just as the weather was getting colder. I was able to fit everything I needed for the weekend in my DLBP, though if I were to do that again, a slightly larger bag would've made things much easier for packing and repacking. (I also had a reusable shopping bag with me, as we traveled by car, and I ended up keeping already-worn clothes in there to free up space in my DLBP. So I guess that's not a true one-bag trip, though I did have everything in the DLBP on the way out, and I could've made it work if I had to.)

I kept things as simple as possible. I wore a pair of jeans, long sleeve shirt, and a cardigan. I packed a thin hooded sweatshirt, tank top, scarf, dress, leggings, socks and undies, and pajama pants/tee (and I wear a women's large, so these aren't tiny articles of clothing). I wore the same boots all weekend, and I wore each of my bulky items (jeans, cardigan, sweatshirt) at least twice. My essential toiletries fit into a 3D clear organizer cube. I go VERY light on electronics; this time I only brought my iPhone, earbuds, and charger.

I usually pack in my A30 for colder weather trips, so this was a bit of a personal challenge. And it turned out, I really didn't need anything else!

Dia
11-26-2016, 05:10 AM
I recently went to Chicago for a long weekend, just as the weather was getting colder. I was able to fit everything I needed for the weekend in my DLBP, though if I were to do that again, a slightly larger bag would've made things much easier for packing and repacking. (I also had a reusable shopping bag with me, as we traveled by car, and I ended up keeping already-worn clothes in there to free up space in my DLBP. So I guess that's not a true one-bag trip, though I did have everything in the DLBP on the way out, and I could've made it work if I had to.)

I kept things as simple as possible. I wore a pair of jeans, long sleeve shirt, and a cardigan. I packed a thin hooded sweatshirt, tank top, scarf, dress, leggings, socks and undies, and pajama pants/tee (and I wear a women's large, so these aren't tiny articles of clothing). I wore the same boots all weekend, and I wore each of my bulky items (jeans, cardigan, sweatshirt) at least twice. My essential toiletries fit into a 3D clear organizer cube. I go VERY light on electronics; this time I only brought my iPhone, earbuds, and charger.

I usually pack in my A30 for colder weather trips, so this was a bit of a personal challenge. And it turned out, I really didn't need anything else!

I am impressed--it's challenging for females to pack (at least it is for me). I like to read how people are able to make it work--it gives me hope as well as ideas. I travel for work and if you need a few days of business casual clothes (and decent looking shoes) it's stressful to figure it all out so it's travel-friendly. I find it would help a lot if I didn't have to take a too-heavy laptop, charger assy, etc.

Canonsue
11-29-2016, 06:49 AM
Several years ago I sold my WF because it was too big for most of my trips. Now I only use my Synapse 19 for all my multi day trips.

tpnl
11-29-2016, 07:56 AM
Several years ago I sold my WF because it was too big for most of my trips. Now I only use my Synapse 19 for all my multi day trips.

Bravo!

I am a Padawan to your Mastery of the one bag carry-on!

Cheers!