PDA

View Full Version : Can't let go of my old bag💔

elliem8
12-05-2016, 01:48 PM
Hi everyone!
I adore tb bags!! I've got my cart full to the brim...but can't push purchase.

My current backpack (not tb) is like my little baby haha, I'm extremely sentimental and this bag has been my companion for 10+ years. It's started to rip at the base and it's just not looking it's best, but I don't want to throw it away or turn it into anything else other than incorporating it onto a new tb bag.
Has anyone sewn other material onto their bag? I'm thinking I could use the salvageable material from my old bag and maybe sew it onto the front panel on the SA?
Do you think it would work?

(My old bag is covered in a cat tapestry design...if it was a plain boring bag then yes I would have binned it;))
(Pic of my bag when new, they've stopped production on it years ago :()
Thanks guys

luvdabags
12-05-2016, 02:04 PM
kitties are so cute!
I have no suggestions, just like your kitty cats!

tpnl
12-05-2016, 02:17 PM
Welcome to the Forums @Elliem8!

I have a backpack too that has sentimental value - took it with me all throughout school up until university.

I did not want to cut into it so I have it in a keepsake bin. At the time, I took a picture of it and carried the picture with me - either in my wallet or perhaps in a bag I carry.

However, if I was ok to cut my old backpack and take a piece of it, I would maybe cut a patch that would be most memorable (maybe one of the cats in the bag :)).

One thing to do might be to cut a patch and, depending on the size, put it in a clear TB luggage tag / Clear Organizer Pouch / 3D Organizer Cube. This way you can see it and clip it to one of the O-Rings. You might even sew / stick it onto the pouch.

As for sewing onto the TB bag you would get, you probably will void the warranty in that area and the water proofing:

Here are a few links with ideas that may be useful:

Bag Decoration Questions (Pins, Buttons, Patches ...) (https://forums.tombihn.com/questions-about-bags/9210-bag-decoration-questions-pins-buttons-patches-etc.html)

Miking had a interesting way to add a patch using magnets:

How to: Attach patches to a bag without sewing (https://blog.tombihn.com/miking-using-magnets-attach-patches-bag)

You could also use stick on velcro as well if you like the patch idea for adding a bit of your old bag to your new bag.

Interesting question - Thank!

Hope this Helps
Cheers!

BWeaves
12-05-2016, 02:26 PM
You had a good long run. Time for something new. Even babies grown up and you have to let them go and live their own lives.

I don't have the same hairstyle I wore 10+ years ago.
I don't have the same glasses I wore 10+ years ago.
I don't wear the same style of clothing and makeup that I wore 10+ years ago.
Why? Because it would me look old and dated.

Time for something new and fresh. It will make you feel and look younger than hanging on to the old stuff.
Plus, ratty items never make you look your best, and as you've said, it's ripping.

It's a cute bag, but time for it to be retired.

P.S. I'm currently retiring my old bags and replacing them with new TB bags, so I do understand what you're going through.

Lara
12-05-2016, 03:11 PM
Letting go of old favourites is hard - in addition to some of the great ideas above, what about making a fabric flower or two out of the backpack material (lots of tutorials online) to pin to the webbing of your new bag? Or maybe making a little cushion, or an eyeglass case, tissue case, or some other little pouch? If you're not a sewer, you could probably find patterns that use double-sided tape instead.

threeteez
12-05-2016, 05:56 PM

I use a small DOP (Azure!!) as a wristlet wallet, but didn't want credit cards/cash to be visible so hacked it with a sewn decorative fabric pouch for the front section. You could do something similar with a bit of the kitty fabric.

I like tpnl's ideas of a luggage tag and taking a photo of the item. When my sister and I cleaned out my mother's house after her death, there were lots of things with sentimental value that we photographed, reminisced a bit, then gave away and I really haven't regretted not keeping the actual items.

Or get your wonderful new bag and hang on to the old kitty bag for a year and then see if you're at a place where letting it go is easier.

elliem8
12-07-2016, 07:37 AM
Thank you all for your lovely replies! Ahhh I think you're all right, it's time to move on!
I'll think I'll patch up my kitty bag & n hang it up in my room as a keepsake.

I'll definitely be buying my first tb bag soon, I can't wait!
Thank you all again so much.

kathryn
12-07-2016, 07:56 AM
Welcome to the TB club :)

... just wait until you have to let go of a Tom Bihn bag--I've had to re-home all my old ones like they were pets! The recipients got strict instructions that they had to find another good home if they ever decided to get rid of them.