PDA

View Full Version : Small top compartment of new Aeronaut 30 Packing Cube Backpack... by itself?!?

Lani
12-06-2016, 10:40 AM
I just got my Aeronaut 30 Packing Cube Backpack yesterday, and promptly tried it out today as my gym bag. It worked pretty well. I put all my clothes in the main compartment, and I used the top compartment as a "purse" and put my keys, wallets, etc. in it.

I like that flat front pocket on the top compartment. It's just like the one on the Packing Cube Shoulder Bag. In fact, that top compartment really looks like a smaller sibling of the Packing Cube Shoulder Bag... except that it has a conjoined twin (the main compartment) and doesn't have the D-rings on the sides on which to strap on a shoulder strap.

I know the Aeronau 30 Packing Cube Backpack's main compartment is designed to fold into the top compartment (which you fold inside-out to use by self), but I was thinking, the top compartment is SOOOOO adorable... I LOVE that it looks just like a smaller version of the Packing Cube Shoulder Bag....

.... and then I thought: Wouldn't it be adorable if they sold just that top compartment, as a smaller version of the Packing Cube Shoulder Bag? They've already essentially designed it. It just needs D-rings instead of sewn-in straps, and not have its bottom sewn onto the main compartment.

The Packing Cube Shoulder Bag is wonderful, and it's usually my EDC. But I would LOVE a slightly smaller sibling!

turnleftbrighteyes
12-06-2016, 06:59 PM
@Lani, I want to build on your suggestion and hope that the PCSB perhaps sprouts all-shaped cousins like the Yeoman Duffel did. You want a smaller one, and I really, really want a slightly larger PCSB.

My XL PCSB would have the slash pockets, but be a little large, so that it could easily accommodate magazines. (I love trashy magazines on a plane.) If there was a zip-top Shop Bag, that could work, too, but I'd love a supersized PCSB with its slash pocket.

Lani
12-07-2016, 10:56 AM
@Lani, I want to build on your suggestion and hope that the PCSB perhaps sprouts all-shaped cousins like the Yeoman Duffel did. You want a smaller one, and I really, really want a slightly larger PCSB.

My XL PCSB would have the slash pockets, but be a little large, so that it could easily accommodate magazines. (I love trashy magazines on a plane.) If there was a zip-top Shop Bag, that could work, too, but I'd love a supersized PCSB with its slash pocket.

Oh my gosh, I would LOVE that! Great idea!!!

tebnewyork
12-07-2016, 11:09 AM
Well that is essentially the exact size of the Side Kick.

Duggy'sMom
12-07-2016, 05:27 PM
This may sound blasphemous but is it possible to remove the top part from the bottom so that you have 2 stand alone bags?

Badger
12-07-2016, 08:00 PM
This may sound blasphemous but is it possible to remove the top part from the bottom so that you have 2 stand alone bags?

You could do that but you'd have to remove the straps from the top compartment and then reaffix them to the bottom. Plus, I kind of think the bottom compartment would look kind of odd as a bag by itself, though I suppose you could just make it into a normal packing cube.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lani
12-08-2016, 11:22 AM
You could do that but you'd have to remove the straps from the top compartment and then reaffix them to the bottom. Plus, I kind of think the bottom compartment would look kind of odd as a bag by itself, though I suppose you could just make it into a normal packing cube.

I've actually beeing inspecting the top compartment of my new PCBP to see how if I could do that... the bottom compartmentmay need to be sacrificed, depending. Unless I'm able to re-sew the top of it nicely. But it would mean sewing the binding on the inside, too. A little tricky. Might be doable if you have a solid sewing machine.

But those backpack straps would be sacrificed, for sure; you wouldn't need them, and you can't really use those as shoulder straps. I'd have to sew on D-rings to the sides of the top compartment.

And yeah, @tebnewyork, it's similar to a Side Kick, but that's kind of like comparing a 3D Packing Cube to a Side Effect. Both are about the same size, but one is very loose and open, while the second is highly organized. Different styles, not the same thing. And the packing cubes are really designed for various uses (like stuffing socks, underwear, etc.) in them, while the Side Effect/Kick is clearly designed as an ECD.