PDA

View Full Version : Zipper pull cords---why do you use them?

missilebird
01-02-2017, 05:48 AM
I got an A45 for Christmas, and as you all know, it comes with a package of the zipper pull cords and little plastic cap thingies. For those of you who have attached the cords, what was your reason for doing so? Is it to make using the zippers easier, or is it more an aesthetic decision? I do find that the zippers on the A45 are a bit stiff, but I'm guessing that they'll ease up over time/use.

Thanks!

shoplarry
01-02-2017, 07:08 AM
I think people use them for 1) reducing noise of metal zipper tabs 2) ease of using zippers and 3) aesthetics (sometimes substituting colors). Me personally, I use them for ease of opening zippers and reducing the noise

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shoplarry
01-02-2017, 07:11 AM
If you can't decide to use or not to use, I made this video to help the process of quickly removing them so you can try them out or easily remove them without cutting the cords or hurting yourself trying to remove them! [QUOTE=shoplarry;132153]I just made this video on how to remove the plastic zipper pulls https://youtu.be/I-igZUj4xFM

sujo
01-02-2017, 08:00 AM
I use them on my A45, A30 and Side Effect. I find they help with zipping and un-zipping. I don't have mine set up so much for noise reduction, though it does cut the jangle noise quite a bit.

I had my Side Effect for two years and never used them. When I got the A45, the zippers were difficult for me, so I thought I'd try them. It made a big difference and I put them on all my bags. I can't believe it took me that long to try them!

aremesal
01-02-2017, 08:20 AM
I use them in my A30 to reduce the noise. I really can't live with that jangle noise.

BASR
01-02-2017, 08:31 AM
Agree with the others. I use them to reduce zipper noise and make it easier to access.

Meglet
01-02-2017, 09:19 AM
I use them in my A30 to reduce the noise. I really can't live with that jangle noise.

This, on allllllllllllllllll the bags. Plus, I got my hands on paracord in a bunch of cool and complementing colors, so I put black/turquoise zipper pulls on my plain black Smart Alec, black/steel zipper pulls on my Aubergine/Steel Side Kick, etc for a little bit of extra fun.

I double-loop the cords through the metal zipper tabs (sort of a figure 8) in order to get maximum jangle reduction.

capncat
01-02-2017, 10:16 AM
+1 for jangle prevention. I prefer to not sound like I'm accompanied by a pack of golden retrievers, as potentially adorable as that sounds! I also use different color cords for each zipper on my EDC-type bags (vs one color on travel bags), which helps my very visually-driven lizard brain remember where everything is.

BWeaves
01-02-2017, 11:36 AM
I thought the zipper pulls were kind of ridiculous when I got my first TB bag. And then I carried it and the jangle of the zippers drove me nuts. The pulls really do help tone down the noise (depending on how you thread them through the metal zipper pulls). And they really do help with opening and closing the bags. I put them on all my bags now.

The thing I've learned is that all TB items have a very good purpose and are well designed. Even things I didn't know I wanted or needed have now become necessities and I don't know how I lived without them before.

BASR
01-02-2017, 11:48 AM
https://vimeo.com/112929038

Here is also TB's video on different ways to use the zipper pulls, for reference.

missilebird
01-02-2017, 02:09 PM
Thanks for all the replies! I'll give the cords a try and see if they make zipping/unzipping a bit easier for me. I'm not bothered by the jangle noise, but I seem to be in the minority on that one.

PandaOps
01-02-2017, 02:54 PM
Zipper pulls are also great when your trying to access your A45 in cold weather with gloves on. :)

poohbers
01-02-2017, 03:00 PM
Agree with the others. I use them to reduce zipper noise and make it easier to access.

+1

KmK
01-04-2017, 02:28 AM
Not connected to an A45 but a different reason for the pulls-- In addition to using them to make it easier to grab the zip, I use them selectively on bags to help me distinguish one zipper/pocket from another. My DLBP has one on the outside pocket, for example. The zips going round the edge don't.

bouncing
01-04-2017, 08:29 AM
It's all about gloved access. Grabbing a metal zipper with gloves on is a chore. Grabbing something akin to your shoelaces is easy, peasy...

Lemon squeezie.

Perseffect
01-04-2017, 11:45 AM
I think people use them for 1) reducing noise of metal zipper tabs 2) ease of using zippers and 3) aesthetics (sometimes substituting colors). Me personally, I use them for ease of opening zippers and reducing the noise

I agree. I always add the pulls (for reasons in this order)
2. Ease of pulling zippers
1. Reducing noise
3. The look

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

melonpan
01-04-2017, 09:01 PM
someone wrote this up thread. but ill share how we use the pulls. everyone in our family has two identically colored packing cube shoulder bags for their clothes packed in the large luggage. the ones with red cords on the pulls have the socks and undies and other stuff. the ones without cords generally have shirts and pants.

missilebird
01-05-2017, 03:04 AM
With the help of the video @BASR shared, I installed zipper pull cords on my A45. I was surprised at the difference they made in ease of zipping/unzipping the bag. Thanks everyone for sharing your reasons and tips with me!

Kerrpe
01-05-2017, 09:33 AM
I prefer to not sound like I'm accompanied by a pack of golden retrievers, as potentially adorable as that sounds!

Which it does, and it made me smile so I had to like your post just for this. Thanks! :)

I use them to cut jangle and color code. On my S19 side pockets, one has a red pull tab, one has a turq, the others are just black.

Also, husband and I both have black Dyneema A30s, so even though the interior is different, I'm gong to have to color my pulls to distinguish it from his. He likes to shove his dirty, uncovered shoes into his bags which drives me nuts!

drobinson
02-18-2017, 06:20 PM
I personally use pulls on almost all zippers of my TB gear. I like reducing the noise and the easy of pull.

I'd point out that there really are three option that you can use in different combinations to suit your purpose.
1. Original metal zipper pull "naked"
2. Original metal zipper pull with a cord pull threaded through it
3. Cord pull alone with no metal pull

For example, on my Synapse 25, I have option 2 on the main compartment zippers. The black cord pulls are very short and really just make the zipper pull a little longer and quieter.
On the side pockets and water bottle pocket, I have red cord pulls ala option 3, no metal. They are quiet and add a bit of contrasting color to my black bag.
Finally, the small center pocket is "naked" option 1. This is because I keep my passport there when I am in the airport and I don't want it to be super easy to grab the zipper. That zip is small and doesn't make much noise since it is a single zip pocket.

So my point is you can can mix and match to suite. You can also color code if you like.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ultravisitor
02-18-2017, 06:50 PM
I actually don't use them because I don't find the zippers on my Synapse 19 to be particularly loud nor do I like the way they look. Also, if I'm wearing my backpack on crowded public transportation, I don't really need the zippers to be easy for someone to open. I find they're easy enough for me to open without the pull cords anyway.

Kshni
02-19-2017, 05:53 AM
I got an A45 for Christmas, and as you all know, it comes with a package of the zipper pull cords and little plastic cap thingies. For those of you who have attached the cords, what was your reason for doing so? Is it to make using the zippers easier, or is it more an aesthetic decision? I do find that the zippers on the A45 are a bit stiff, but I'm guessing that they'll ease up over time/use.

I have an A45 too, and it took a little bit of time and use to relax the zips so they're easier to use. As to the pull cords, I wanted to quiet the jingling, make it easier to use the zips, and because I wanted some colour to differentiate mine from another, a personalisation.

On my black bags with the ultraviolet interior, I have purple pull cords. I wish they'd done an orange version so I could have put those, instead of purple, on my zest interior A45. I may replace the purple with the island blue cords on the A45. I have yet to put the purple cords on my black/ultraviolet SideKick, but the jingling is getting wearying.