PDA

View Full Version : Dream accessory: a hidden pocket against my back

wordsalsa
01-02-2017, 07:23 PM
I have a leather pocketbook I bought in Spain many years ago that has a design I've never seen anywhere else. The bag has a sling strap that zippers open and can be worn like a lightweight backpack. The magic feature is a zipper in the back which, when worn as a backpack, lies against my back, and so feels safe from pickpockets.

My dream accessory for my new Synapse 19 is some kind of small pocket that can be worn on the inside, against my back. Has anyone ever rigged up anything like that? I can't say that I can imagine how it would attach. I doubt velcro would be secure enough. But I still can't see how to confidently carry my ID/passport, money in the S19, or any backpack for that matter.

AlaskaGirl
01-02-2017, 11:48 PM
Greetings,
While I appreciate your suggestion, this is not a feature that appeals to me in a bag. If this accessory pocket is attached to the backpack, what prevents it from walking off in the event of a snatch and grab theft? Items in a bag are more susceptible to loss for two reasons. First there are opportunistic thieves to consider. Second there is the possibility of forgetting a bag somewhere like in a taxi or in a restaurant.

For these reasons, many people consider a pouch or pocket that is worn under your clothes to be safer. There are at least five different types so if one style is uncomfortable you can try another until you find one that works for you.

Good luck! elisa

AVService
01-03-2017, 04:28 AM
I have a Camelbak Dispatch Backpack that has a pocket there built in to the pack and it is well done enough that unless you are aware of it you might not even see it.
Great idea and great spot for discrete pocket.

There are also several "Tactical" looking bags both packs and briefcases that have hidden pockets that are interesting and less easy to access or see.

tpnl
01-03-2017, 06:30 AM
I do not know if this is what you are looking for but I have hooked a 3D Organizer Cube (3DOC) to the back Rail Loops normally used for the TB Cache Sleeve. It provided an extra interior pocket that was hidden behind my laptop (or other clothes). Here is a picture of what I mean on a Smart Alec (SA) but you can do the same thing in an S19/S25:

https://forums.tombihn.com/attachments/photos-videos-and-reviews/14569d1455414874-my-new-smart-alec-sa_3dfoc_hidden-jpg

Now, if you use the Cache with Rails system in the S19 for your laptop, you could do this setup on the front Rail Loops of the S19/S25 or just hook it in front of the 3DOC setup.

Also ScottE22 made a great video of his S25 and he used a Side Effect (SE) in a similar way (I have forwarded the video below to the section showing this):

ScottE22's S25 Video (https://youtu.be/kVaKgCDNjSg?t=403)

Though you need to open 2 zippers, it was like a hidden pocket.

Note that in the SA, the top flap inner pockets (you can see them at the top of the picture) kind of do the same thing. Noone knows there are zippered pockets there and so you can hide things like a passport there

Hope this helps

BWeaves
01-03-2017, 07:03 AM
Interesting. Every purse I've ever bought had a secret zipper across the back (either inside or outside) that laid against my body. I rarely use it, because I forget it's there, and I'm afraid the really important things I would put in it need to be in a different location, like a hidden pouch under my clothing.

Traveltech
01-03-2017, 08:00 AM
Thanks for starting this thread. As a frequent traveler, I always look for security features in a bag. I would also appreciate a hidden pocket AND lockable zippers. Of course any bag can be snatched on a busy street, but a lot of thefts occur in more subtle situations- from overhead bins and on crowded subways. There are ways to make these thefts more difficult. (See Eagle Creek's "All Ways Secure" line)

investigator
01-03-2017, 08:32 AM
On occasion, I put my passport inside the main compartment of the S19 tucked way down in the front flap pocket area. It's in a passport pouch, so I could also hook it to an o-ring if I thought slashing was a concern. I like it tucked down in there b/c it stays put when I take other stuff in and out of the bag. IMO there is little chance of it being stolen out of there -- the whole bag being stolen is a bigger concern. To that end, I never put the bag down, and either have it on both shoulders on my back or on my lap with at least one part looped through my arm. On a plane I'll put it under my feet -- that might be the only time I'm in public and it's not really attached to me in some way.

Is it ideal? Probably not. But as a short smallish curvy female, there is no place on my body to wear my passport without it being bulky, awkward, uncomfortable, and/or obvious, especially when traveling in warm climates.

Pokilani
01-03-2017, 09:32 AM
On occasion, I put my passport inside the main compartment of the S19 tucked way down in the front flap pocket area. It's in a passport pouch, so I could also hook it to an o-ring if I thought slashing was a concern. I like it tucked down in there b/c it stays put when I take other stuff in and out of the bag. IMO there is little chance of it being stolen out of there -- the whole bag being stolen is a bigger concern. To that end, I never put the bag down, and either have it on both shoulders on my back or on my lap with at least one part looped through my arm. On a plane I'll put it under my feet -- that might be the only time I'm in public and it's not really attached to me in some way.

Is it ideal? Probably not. But as a short smallish curvy female, there is no place on my body to wear my passport without it being bulky, awkward, uncomfortable, and/or obvious, especially when traveling in warm climates.

If I'm traveling to a place where I am concerned about such things, I like this pouch (http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2047675.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.XPacsafe+P ouchsafe+125+Travel+Pouch.TRS0&_nkw=Pacsafe+Pouchsafe+125+Travel+Pouch&_sacat=0) by Pacsafe. Yes, people can see it, but it is slash proof and the flap/zipper combo works well. It fits my passport, iPhone, a tiny wallet (e.g. COW), a lip balm and a pack of gum. I've never had a problem continuing to wear it on my body on an airplane so I always have it close by. I particularly like it when I'm wearing a backpack because all of my essentials are easily accessible, but it's easy to stash deep in a backpack when I need to.

To the OP: I can see the interest in a pocket in the back. I own a little REI backpack that has that feature, which I utilized on a trip to Sweden, prior to switching to the Pacsafe.

wordsalsa
01-03-2017, 07:15 PM
For these reasons, many people consider a pouch or pocket that is worn under your clothes to be safer. There are at least five different types so if one style is uncomfortable you can try another until you find one that works for you.

Good luck! elisa[/QUOTE]

Thanks, elisa. Sure, I have a silk waist pocket that I wear when traveling in questionable areas or carrying more cash than usual. But I'm thinking more of every day use, or anywhere mostly safe, for example my upcoming trip to Japan. I guess wearing that pouch feels like overkill to me in those conditions.

(Darn, I'm new on the forum; thought I was replying with a quote AlaskaGirl. I'll work it out soon, hopefully.)

wordsalsa
01-03-2017, 07:47 PM
Thanks for all the comments and suggestions.

@tpni, sorry, I don't see how that pocket is hidden in your photo; it looks like it's right there at the top when someone has opened the main bag zipper. Granted, it's an extra step for a pickpocket, but certainly doable, no?

@Investigator I'm another short curvy female, and don't find my passport comfortable against my body. I'll probably just put my valuables in some kind of pouch, possibly attached with an o-ring. But if there's an o-ring in the front flap pocket area of the S19, I can't find it.

tpnl
01-03-2017, 09:54 PM
@wordsalsa

In the picture I posted, I have pulled back the lip of the bag to show the 3DOC setup better. Normally, it is pretty hidden behind my Brain Cell and under the lip of the bag.
Also, most backpacks that do have a purpose built "hidden" compartment also have a bit of a tell - the zipper pulls.

If really worried about theft, I agree with @Pokilani that the Pacsafe line of items are a good alternative - and perhaps a dedicated purpose specific item from them would be more secure (ie hidden on your body and not part of your bag).

Hope this helps
Cheers!

investigator
01-04-2017, 05:48 AM
@Investigator I'm another short curvy female, and don't find my passport comfortable against my body. I'll probably just put my valuables in some kind of pouch, possibly attached with an o-ring. But if there's an o-ring in the front flap pocket area of the S19, I can't find it.

You're right, the only o-ring inside is in an awkward spot for attaching something that will go in the front pouch. One of the webbing loops at the top front could potentially work though. There is going to be a new TB passport pouch coming soon, so maybe that will have some awesome feature that solves all of our problems!

ceepee
01-04-2017, 06:11 AM
You're right, the only o-ring inside is in an awkward spot for attaching something that will go in the front pouch. One of the webbing loops at the top front could potentially work though. There is going to be a new TB passport pouch coming soon, so maybe that will have some awesome feature that solves all of our problems!

There's going to be a new passport pouch? Did I miss an announcement? Any more info?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bouncing
01-04-2017, 09:51 AM
Thanks, elisa. Sure, I have a silk waist pocket that I wear when traveling in questionable areas or carrying more cash than usual. But I'm thinking more of every day use, or anywhere mostly safe, for example my upcoming trip to Japan. I guess wearing that pouch feels like overkill to me in those conditions.

(Darn, I'm new on the forum; thought I was replying with a quote AlaskaGirl. I'll work it out soon, hopefully.)

Japan doesn't really have a pick pocket problem. I wouldn't bother.

Places are Barcelona are where there is a concern. Really anywhere in Southern Europe.

I for one just wear tighter jeans with a front wallet. It might technically still be pickpocketable, but in my years of travel, it's never happened.

Do watch out for people trying to hand you babies or old women falling down the stairs at the subway, etc. Most theft involves diversion, and most diversion is designed to tug at your heart strings.

A backpack is vulnerable on a subway because someone can steal things from it while you aren't looking. Simpler than locking it, however, would be to simply wear a shoulder bag.

Kaadk
01-04-2017, 10:12 AM
...A backpack is vulnerable on a subway because someone can steal things from it while you aren't looking. Simpler than locking it, however, would be to simply wear a shoulder bag.

And even simpler is to just not use a bag at all. When I travel, once I'm at my destination I pretty much only carry the cell phone in a case capable of carrying two cards (ID and credit) in one front pocket, hotel key (and if I have one, car rental key) in the other. The rest gets locked up in the hotel safe. After 'wearing' out one passport, by always taking it with me everywhere, and being admonished by Passport Canada to never let it happen again or else I won't be issued a replacement, I've really babied my passports and avoid any further wear and tear than necessary.

pammy
01-04-2017, 10:30 AM
Japan doesn't really have a pick pocket problem. I wouldn't bother.

+1 on this. We were there in April and I had absolutely no worries of being picked. I carried either my SE or SCB with my DLBP. I am generally paranoid about pickpockets, especially while traveling in Europe. Mr. pammy, however, never shared my concern. He likes to carry some easily accessible cash in his front pocket and felt he would definitely feel a hand sliding into the pocket of his Levis. That was until he was picked in Rome while we were on the metro going to the Vatican. Now he takes my concern more seriously. Fortunately, it was nice to relax and not worry about it in Japan.

investigator
01-04-2017, 01:12 PM
There's going to be a new passport pouch? Did I miss an announcement? Any more info?

No additional info, sorry. Anyone else have any? All I know is that when you go to the passport pouch on the TB accessories page there is a note stating, "We've retired the RFID Passport Pouch to make way for new designs. Stay tuned for what we come up with next!".

moriond
01-08-2017, 09:25 AM
No additional info, sorry. Anyone else have any? All I know is that when you go to the passport pouch on the TB accessories page there is a note stating, "We've retired the RFID Passport Pouch to make way for new designs. Stay tuned for what we come up with next!".

@investigator, @ceepee, and others,

The RFID Passport Pouch (https://www.tombihn.com/products/rfid-passport-pouch) has not been retired, and is still being made, as you can see by checking the linked product page for information on various items that are "in production". There seems to be an unfortunate glitch in the default web page status reports that occasionally when a product sells out, it may get reported as "retired" on some of the summary product pages, such as the one for Accessories, although I didn't catch this happening in this case. Did either of you see this reported on the product page for the Passport Pouch?

The passport pouch has not been retired to my knowledge!

HTH

moriond

investigator
01-08-2017, 09:34 AM
@investigator, @ceepee, and others,

The RFID Passport Pouch (https://www.tombihn.com/products/rfid-passport-pouch) has not been retired, and is still being made, as you can see by checking the linked product page for information on various items that are "in production". There seems to be an unfortunate glitch in the default web page status reports that occasionally when a product sells out, it may get reported as "retired" on some of the summary product pages, such as the one for Accessories, although I didn't catch this happening in this case. Did either of you see this reported on the product page for the Passport Pouch?

Yes, it must have been that glitch. I definitely saw the retired product note when I checked the page a few days ago, but now it's back to normal with the passport pouches listed as in production. I like my passport pouch so I'm glad it's sticking around, although I do wish it was a touch bigger -- I cram 2 passports and 2 international drivers licenses in it when we travel and it's a tight squeeze! I also don't care at all about the RFID protection, but do like that it makes the pouch stiffer, so I won't complain about that!

Kerrpe
01-08-2017, 06:51 PM
I don't have a TB passport pouch (yet) but I do use one for convenience while on the move. I don't care if you can see it - it's tucked down the front of my shirt and if you're gong to try to take it, I'm going to notice. :D

Kshni
01-11-2017, 06:11 AM
I use the TB RFID passport pouch and tuck inside my clothes if I need to carry my passport. Like some of the others, I do wish it was a little larger, as I am the one who carries two passports for me, my immunisation record (needed for places in South America), and stuff credit cards in there. But it's too tight when I am travelling with my partner, as I carry their passport on me as well. I may have to break down and get a second pouch for them to wear.

wordsalsa
01-17-2017, 05:15 PM
+1 on this. We were there in April and I had absolutely no worries of being picked. I carried either my SE or SCB with my DLBP. I am generally paranoid about pickpockets, especially while traveling in Europe. Mr. pammy, however, never shared my concern. He likes to carry some easily accessible cash in his front pocket and felt he would definitely feel a hand sliding into the pocket of his Levis. That was until he was picked in Rome while we were on the metro going to the Vatican. Now he takes my concern more seriously. Fortunately, it was nice to relax and not worry about it in Japan.

@pammy thanks for this confirmation. Though, I'm not at all concerned about Japan. It's a more general question of prudence, for any crowded environment. I've had my wallet picked from a backpack (in Madrid), and ever since then keep my valuables in my front pocket or, if I'm really concerned, in a concealed waist pouch. Just the same, if I could have something behind my back and covered by the backpack, I could walk anywhere with confidence.

segacs
01-23-2017, 08:04 PM
And even simpler is to just not use a bag at all. When I travel, once I'm at my destination I pretty much only carry the cell phone in a case capable of carrying two cards (ID and credit) in one front pocket, hotel key (and if I have one, car rental key) in the other. The rest gets locked up in the hotel safe. After 'wearing' out one passport, by always taking it with me everywhere, and being admonished by Passport Canada to never let it happen again or else I won't be issued a replacement, I've really babied my passports and avoid any further wear and tear than necessary.

I always carry a purse when I'm out and about. Besides my phone, I use it to carry items including: camera and spare batteries, hand sanitizer, tissues / toilet paper (essential in many developing countries), glasses, sunglasses, lip balm, sunscreen, bugspray, hairbrush, USB battery pack, and possibly a light sweater or cardigan.

I do NOT keep my passport, cards, or anything more than a few dollars' in local currency for walk-around money in my purse, though. I store those in a secure money belt under my clothing, or in a hotel safe, depending on the destination and circumstances. Note that in some places you are required to carry your passport on your person at all times; in other places a photocopy will suffice. Read up before you go.

In over twenty years of travel I've never had any serious incidents. I have been attempted pickpocketed, attempted snatch-and-grabbed, and (once) mugged at gunpoint. I operate under the philosophy that as long as I have my (1) life (2) health and (3) passport -- in that order -- everything else is replaceable.

Happy travels!