PDA

View Full Version : Could You Store Your Passport Here???

RichardMcG
01-17-2017, 07:27 PM
Ok, so I will soon carry an S25 on my next overseas trip. I had originally planned on buying a Freudian Slip for the express purpose of putting my passport in the zipper pocket. However, after thinking about it I realized that all of the other places on the FS I might not use. So, I am looking for another option. (To date I have never actually beheld a S25). I was thinking, would buying a small organizer pouch and a keystrap be an adequate replacement? I could attach the pouch to an o-ring and have it lie in the bottom of the pack.

But I am open to other suggestions as well.

Kaadk
01-17-2017, 08:20 PM
You could get the TB passport pouch, unclip the lanyard and then clip it into the bag using a keystrap

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pammy
01-17-2017, 09:51 PM
Yes, a small organizer pouch would fit your passport. Before I purchased the TB passport pouch, that is what I used. Three passports fit in a small, although it is sort of tight. One or two passports would be fine.

BWeaves
01-18-2017, 05:07 AM
I would never put my passport in my backpack or travel bag. It must be on my body in a secure pocket or small cross body bag attached under my clothes at all times when I'm overseas. Call me paranoid, but if your S25 gets stolen, there goes your passport.

KmK
01-18-2017, 05:34 AM
I second BWeaves. My passport is on my person while enroute. Always. There is a copy of my passport tucked into each bag I travel with. Once I get to my destination, my actual passport stays put wherever I am staying but I never go out without a copy of it.

bchaplin
01-18-2017, 06:16 AM
I actually wear my Side Effect (or sometimes, the Side Kick, now) with my wallet, passport and phone inside when I'm going through the airport and on the plane. I feel that it is more accessible and also more secure that that way. Though, really, if the backpack is at your feet it is probably fine to have the passport tucked inside it somewhere. No one's going to dig through it without being noticed; as long as it's not in an easily accessible zipper pocket in plain view, you should be good.

backpack
01-18-2017, 06:43 AM
I second the document in the Passport Pouch to always be in your person, or the hotel safe, if there is one.

BWeaves
01-18-2017, 10:05 AM
I've seen bags sitting at peoples feet be swiped by someone running by. And shoulder bags ripped off shoulders. I always have a cross body bag with the strap going under my clothes. Usually a very slim "invisible" to outside eyes type of bag.

PaulT00
01-18-2017, 10:14 AM
After a really nasty moment when my passport got "lost" in the darkness at the bottom of my backpack in the middle of Schipol airport while about to go through departures on the way home to the UK for Christmas, I definitely second keeping the vital document on ones person at all times. Wibble. It was only 30 seconds of frantic rummaging, but it was 30 seconds of avoidable abject terror of the kind I never wish to experience again...

RichardMcG
01-18-2017, 02:05 PM
I actually agree with what everyone is saying. When I am not on the plane I always have my passport with me. In fact, I usually keep it in a "money belt" type item that goes under your shirt. However, I was really thinking about the times when you are getting on the plane and must have the passport in hand - and when when you need to to go through customs upon arrival. In those cases, I usually do not keep it in the money belt as it is a bit awkward to put it in or take it out, so I usually just slip it in my backpack for the flight. I was just thinking about where to keep it in that case.

Kaadk
01-18-2017, 02:17 PM
I actually agree with what everyone is saying. When I am not on the plane I always have my passport with me. In fact, I usually keep it in a "money belt" type item that goes under your shirt. However, I was really thinking about the times when you are getting on the plane and must have the passport in hand - and when when you need to to go through customs upon arrival. In those cases, I usually do not keep it in the money belt as it is a bit awkward to put it in or take it out, so I usually just slip it in my backpack for the flight. I was just thinking about where to keep it in that case.

For the flight, I try to keep in my pocket. I usually try to fly wearing some form of cargo/khakis and it rides in the cargo pocket. Too many stories about pilfering from the overheads for me to trust it in my carry-on.

Grandcache
01-18-2017, 07:37 PM
This is one of the reasons why I wear my ScotteVest when I am traveling...my important travel documents and money are secure and easily accessible when I need them.

Peruvian
01-18-2017, 09:52 PM
I would never put my passport in my backpack or travel bag. It must be on my body in a secure pocket or small cross body bag attached under my clothes at all times when I'm overseas. Call me paranoid, but if your S25 gets stolen, there goes your passport.

Am I the only one who NEVER carries his/her passport while out and about traveling overseas? I always leave my passport in the hotel safe and only carry my CA drivers license and my Peruvian government-issued ID as forms of identification.

mel_h
01-19-2017, 05:30 AM
I use my running belt/waistpack thing as a passport holder when I am in an airport. That way I'm using something I'd already be carrying, anyway. Plus it's lightweight and slim.

As for carrying a passport when going out -- well, it depends on the place. If it's not necessary, then I carry a color copy. But there are some places where they can be sticklers about "foreigners must have a passport on them at all times." Not to be negative, but in some of these places, there are corrupt police; if you don't have a passport, they will see that as an opportunity to try to get a bribe or worse. In these places, I put it in one of my pockets along with my cash, cards, and keys. I had a cross-body bag ripped off of me by motorbike-driving thieves in Vietnam, so I almost never put anything in one that is really valuable.

KmK
01-19-2017, 05:24 PM
Am I the only one who NEVER carries his/her passport while out and about traveling overseas? I always leave my passport in the hotel safe and only carry my CA drivers license and my Peruvian government-issued ID as forms of identification.

Nope. You are not alone. But I don't go around without a copy of it folded into a small ziplock bag.

Peruvian
01-19-2017, 05:25 PM
Nope. You are not alone. But I don't go around without a copy of it folded into a small ziplock bag.

Good idea; I'll start doing that. You just never know.

Perseffect
01-20-2017, 03:43 AM
The post regarding a runners belt caught my eye and reminded me for two products that might work that clip onto the waistband. One is called the RooSport and the other RunningBuddy. Slightly different designs of the same thing but are close to you and should fit a passport. I've tried both (albeit for running) and might work for you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Kirri
01-20-2017, 07:22 PM
I don't carry my passport while out and about. I used to when first travelling, when I wore a money belt, but now generally keep it in my bag.

I think it is more likely that my daytime carry bag - usually a MCB while travelling - will get grabbed then that my whole aeronaut will get stolen from wherever I'm staying. It is also partly laziness as I used to have to carry 3 passports when travelling depending where I was going as many countries (like US) require you to have your national passport when entering. And partly that I think there are risks with having it in either place so better to take reasonable precautions but not worry too much.

drobinson
01-29-2017, 01:37 PM
I now use a S25 as my EDC and travel 50 weeks a year. I originally went the Passport Holder clipped into the top of the S25 main compartment with a key strap threaded through the cache rail clip webbing. It just became to much of a pain to access when in airports. So now I use the small outside pocket when in secure locations, and a inside the waistband pouch when out and about in questionable territory.

FWIW, I really wanted to love the TB passport holder, but it takes two hands to open and when inside the main compartment the whole access procedure was just to cumbersome.

jawnsayrau
01-31-2017, 08:04 AM
I second all the discussions particularly around passport safety. My inlaws had their passports stolen in the Boston airport. They had to go through unavoidable pains to get their papers to leave the country from the Indian Consulate. I travel extensively in Asia. I am paranoid about my passport and carry it on my person all the time. If you can take care of your passport, credit cards and cash while traveling you are in a good place.

I have had my side effect opened by a lady thief in Madrid. Thankfully I realized the zip opening. Fortunately all valuables were in my pocket. Better safe than sorry.

The other thing about passport is that it is used for identification. Having it on your person helps. I have had a friend of mine who forgot all his passports in a hotel in Los Angeles and set off for the airport to go to India. Missed his flight.

drobinson
02-18-2017, 06:04 PM
Another thought. A long time ago I received some sage advice about traveling. Never get physically separated from your passport, your ticket home, and 1 credit card.

I don't stress about the plane ticket anymore in these modern times, but you will never find me leaving my passport and a credit card behind anywhere.

chungliwen
05-09-2017, 08:21 PM

I leave mine in the hotel room/safe as well. I probably should carry a photocopy of it when I'm out, but I comfort myself knowing that I have a scanned copy in my phone and a powerbank in my backpack.