PDA

View Full Version : 2016 Macbook Pro 15" with touchbar - what to put it in?

geekmom
01-29-2017, 03:55 PM
4 years ago, I made the switch to mac via a 13" macbook pro retina. Love at first type. I also found Tom Bihn at that same time in the form of a Ristretto. LOVE LOVE LOVE this bag.

Tomorrow, my 15" macbook pro arrives. Today, I realized that my Ristretto won't fit it. Panic has ensued.

I realize there is no 15" version of the ristretto, but is there hope for someone like me who loves the minimal packingness of the ristretto, built in padded compartment and zippered front pocket for all those little things?

If you have a 15" macbook pro.... what bag(s) are you using? I'm feeling forlorn that my aubergine beauty will be relegated to ipad only trips..........

tpnl
01-29-2017, 07:05 PM
I hear you. I wish that there was a 15" version of the Ristretto. However, I believe it might be on the too big side for the majority of people (not for me though!)

I do not have your laptop or any MBP but I have experience with 15.6" and 14" laptops and have read a lot of other members experiences in the past. I hope this will be of some help until others can chime in with their direct experiences with your new laptop (congrats !):

See this link for some specific information (with a nice measurement shot from @makak even though he carries other size Apple laptops):

New 15" MacBook Pro (TouchBar) and Pilot, Daylight Briefcase, or Maker's Bag (https://forums.tombihn.com/questions-about-bags/11678-new-15-macbook-pro-touchbar-pilot-daylight-briefcase-makers-bag.html)

In the TB stable, for something similar to the Ristretto (sorry, no vertical messenger bag will fit):

Cadet - this bag would fit your laptop fine as it was designed for the earlier 15" MBP

Founder's Briefcase - this bag would fit your laptop fine as it was designed for the earlier 15" MBP

Some that probably would work:

Pilot - fits older 15" MBP in a cache but did stretch it (Halcyon version a better fit than the Ballistic version). Your now MBP is about 1/2" shorter if I read correctly. I also know that my 14" wide Thule case will fit in the Pilot fine for me. So, I might suggest that a TB cache specifically for your laptop should fit ok. See the thread below - nice pictures thanks to @HYPEractiv and @Trevorro:

Pilot or Cadet? (https://forums.tombihn.com/questions-about-bags/7021-pilot-cadet.html#post58324)

Maker's Bag - it fits my Thule case fine so it might work for your laptop in a case that is ~14" wide. @Brendabethman showed a 15" rMBP in her Maker's Bag (though it will stretch the bag and reduce overall carry capacity):

Makers vs Pilot vs DLBC (https://forums.tombihn.com/general-bag-discussion/10485-makers-vs-pilot-vs-dlbc-vs-cadet-post114378.html#post114378)

From "The Well-Appointed Desk" website, they chose the Maker's Bag for their 15" MBP too:

Laptop Bag Round-up: 15″ Edition – The Well-Appointed Desk (http://www.wellappointeddesk.com/2016/08/laptop-bag-round-up-15-edition/)

DLBC - it fits my Thule case fine so it might work for your laptop in a case that is ~14" wide. But, I am really not sure about this one as i have not seen anyone try to fit a 15" MBP in it as well.

Possible options to try but not optimal:

13" Ristretto - try to fit it in the main compartment outside the built-in sleeve. I have read of someone able to fit their older 15" MBP bare this way. As your version is smaller, it may work with a sleeve. - I would try this first to see if it works for you as you have a 13" Ristretto already. It was estimated that something 13.5" x 10.5" should fit in the main compartment. Though your laptop is 0.25" longer and a bit more with a sleeve, it might still be tolerable. My 14" wide Thule sleeve fits fine that way - but less room for other stuff unless you can carry papers in the cache compartment.

LCB - I have read of some people doing this but I believe it sticks out

Hopefully others with your exact laptop can chime in.

Hope this helps
Cheers!

geekmom
01-30-2017, 08:39 AM
Well, it showed up today and it mostly fits in the Ristretto. For around town etc this will work perfectly, still enough space for my ipad, phone, power block etc. I will be looking at other options for travel, especially since I also have an alienware beast of a machine for work.

tpnl
01-30-2017, 11:19 AM
Great to read that it mostly fits in the Ristretto.

Are you putting your new laptop in the laptop sleeve compartment or in the main compartment?

Cheers!

geekmom
02-13-2017, 02:18 AM
Great to read that it mostly fits in the Ristretto.

Are you putting your new laptop in the laptop sleeve compartment or in the main compartment?

Cheers!

Sorry for the late reply, just now seeing this. I am able to put it in the laptop compartment of the ristretto. It is not a perfect fit, but it works!

makak
02-14-2017, 12:41 AM
Sorry for the late reply, just now seeing this. I am able to put it in the laptop compartment of the ristretto. It is not a perfect fit, but it works!

Any chance of some pics of the 15" in a Ristretto please? This may just tip me over the edge to a 15". I have a Pilot and a Ristretto and apparently it doesn't fit into a Pilot without putting undue pressure on the corners.

geekmom
02-14-2017, 02:02 AM
Any chance of some pics of the 15" in a Ristretto please? This may just tip me over the edge to a 15". I have a Pilot and a Ristretto and apparently it doesn't fit into a Pilot without putting undue pressure on the corners.

Yes! I have it in a matte grey shell. There is no pressure on the corners. It does overhang the laptop opening by a little as you can see, but you can still tuck the flap over. It works.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170214/c7425c61ad6f3e47212e10a090b5d306.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170214/3400eace3c3393364170334dc3120a08.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170214/cc2b2b04b412d6b88a39f2803ca1e65b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dimfeld
02-19-2017, 10:54 AM
I do the same, using my Ristretto to hold the new 15" MBP in the built-in laptop sleeve and it works very well. I tend to not fold the flap over the laptop in this case, and just fold it over on itself next to the laptop. Works well for me, your preferences may vary.

I have fit it in my Pilot when I need to take a water bottle or something, which fits it just fine bare. It's made of Dyneema (I guess the precursor to Halcyon, more or less?), which probably helps with the fit too. I haven't yet tried it with any sort of sleeve and it may be a pretty tight fit in that case, so I'm debating whether or not to keep doing that. Otherwise, I usually use a Brain Bag, which is way overkill for just carrying a laptop+charger+water but I love it. :)

dimfeld
02-24-2017, 09:45 AM
One more update: The 15" MBP horizontal cache (previous generation) fits into my Dyneema Pilot as well. There's not a ton of extra room around it but it doesn't push out the edges. Again, YMMV may vary if you have a more rigid material.