PDA

View Full Version : Key strap with o-ring

wordsalsa
01-30-2017, 05:11 PM
Newbie here, accidentally ordered a keystrap with an o-ring on one end instead of 2 hooks. Should I return it (in the same box of a few other incidentals I'm returning)? Or is there some brilliant use for it I'll later want it for? So far the uses I've seen suggested for this kind of strap are
1. daisy chain with others to make longer straps. I don't think I'll need this, as the largest bag I have is the S19.
2. bundle multiple organizer thingies on one strap. Do people find this useful?

SIM
01-30-2017, 05:21 PM
Newbie here, accidentally ordered a keystrap with an o-ring on one end instead of 2 hooks. Should I return it (in the same box of a few other incidentals I'm returning)? Or is there some brilliant use for it I'll later want it for? So far the uses I've seen suggested for this kind of strap are
1. daisy chain with others to make longer straps. I don't think I'll need this, as the largest bag I have is the S19.
2. bundle multiple organizer thingies on one strap. Do people find this useful?

I actually prefer the o-ring version over the 2X hooks. The 2X hooks seem redundant to me since most organizer pouches have hooks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Kaadk
01-30-2017, 05:26 PM
I plan on using one as a belt loop, when I get my hands on one. Gotta wait for the next order first.

But, using an 8" with snap hooks on both sides I already had as a estimate, it seems long enough. I figure you can thread one end behind the belt loop it around to the front and clip it back to itself with the o-ring. Then you can hang whatever you want to carry extra from the same o-ring, such as one of the pouches, a COW or maybe a Q-kit.

I'm thinking the same approach might work around the shoulder strap, to hang a Q-kit which can be transferred to the arm of the tray table on a plane, with the q-kit holding a few items I normally carry in my pocket, like mints or earbuds or Halls when I've got a cough. It'll save me from accidentally bumping people next to me in a crowd coach seat while I'm digging in my pockets for those things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wordsalsa
01-30-2017, 06:21 PM
As far as the 2 hooks being redundant, I think that's only true if you pay the $3 to add a hook to each organizer patch. Do you always do that?

@ Kaadk, most of my lady's pants don't have belt loops, but using it to loop around anything is an idea I hadn't had yet.

So, I guess when I decide which OP's I "need" and place that order, I'll add the hooks.

Kirri
01-30-2017, 10:18 PM
I thought all organiser pouches automatically came with hooks. I remove them sometimes.

Squirrel
01-31-2017, 04:08 AM
As far as the 2 hooks being redundant, I think that's only true if you pay the $3 to add a hook to each organizer patch. Do you always do that?

When ordering organizer pouches, the snap hook is usually included. There is the option to order an additional $3 Handle Loop (https://www.tombihn.com/products/handle-loop?variant=16645253575) to turn it into a kind of "wrist bag" using said snap hook. So no need for this add on if you want to use the pouch as is / as pictured.

As for the snap hook / o-ring key strap. I find them useful to attach accessories that already have a snap hook attached inside a larger bag.

BWeaves
01-31-2017, 05:29 AM
Keep it. Most organizer pouches have snaphooks. I have the type of key strap with a snaphook on each end, and I just snap 2 snaphooks together when I'm hooking a pouch to a keystrap. An O ring would make more sense on the end of the keystrap, but either type works. Anyway, you'll find a use for it.

wordsalsa
01-31-2017, 07:29 AM
Ahh. Silly me. I was confusing the handle loop with the snap hook. Thanks, patient forum friends! So glad I asked before returning it.

Kaadk
02-02-2017, 12:53 PM
I plan on using one as a belt loop, when I get my hands on one. Gotta wait for the next order first.

But, using an 8" with snap hooks on both sides I already had as a estimate, it seems long enough. I figure you can thread one end behind the belt loop it around to the front and clip it back to itself with the o-ring. Then you can hang whatever you want to carry extra from the same o-ring, such as one of the pouches, a COW or maybe a Q-kit.

I'm thinking the same approach might work around the shoulder strap, to hang a Q-kit which can be transferred to the arm of the tray table on a plane, with the q-kit holding a few items I normally carry in my pocket, like mints or earbuds or Halls when I've got a cough. It'll save me from accidentally bumping people next to me in a crowd coach seat while I'm digging in my pockets for those things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Following up on my previous post, now that I have my order in hand, I posted about my use of the 8" O-Ring strap over in this thread (https://forums.tombihn.com/questions-about-bags/11886-pilot-western-flyer-need-request-test-pack-help-decide.html#post138528).

bouncing
02-02-2017, 01:52 PM
Just in terms of shipping costs, I don't think it makes sense to return.

eviltracey
02-08-2017, 10:26 PM
I clipped 3 organizer pouches to one of those key straps, and clipped the strap to my Synapse19. If I need to move the pouches and their contents to another bag, I can just unclip the one strap.