PDA

View Full Version : Cutting /removing divider on brain bag?

stevenkelby
02-01-2017, 06:15 AM
Hi all,

I've just received a new brain bag after returning an S25 which was fantastic but just a little too small for my needs.

I love the bb but am considering modifying it by cutting out the panel between the two main compartments. Then I would just have 1 big area that I'd probably access through the front zip, and leave the rear zip unused.

The main advantage would be the ability to carry larger items like bulky packages or shopping.

I did this to a North Face Surge last week to see how it worked out. I actually cut 2 dividers out of it, and removed the pulls from 2 of the zippers. It's been working great so far but I'm understandably hesitant to do it on a TB bag.

Any thoughts/opinions?

Thanks,

Steve.

BWeaves
02-01-2017, 06:18 AM
Why don't you get a Smart Alec that is already one big compartment?

stevenkelby
02-01-2017, 06:47 AM
Thanks for the reply.

I did consider the Smart Alec but it's 26lt vs 36lt for the brain bag. I just want the extra volume for the occasions when I really need it. I'm a big guy and like the size of the brain bag.

I also like the 2 large and 1 small external pockets, and the water bottle holder on the brain bag, which the Smart Alec doesn't have. Cinch straps too, for when the brain bag is mostly empty.

I do have a lot of packing cubes, snake charmer, Freudian slip, side effect, 3D organiser etc, so I have plenty of organisation.

I think removing the inner divider will increase the utility of the bag for me and I can't think of any down sides apart from losing the warranty which I'm fine with.

julia
02-01-2017, 08:31 AM
I think the Brain Bag would be unmanageable for me without the inner divider. It is SO expansive as it is- even with some organizational accessories, mine get lost at the bottom of my BB.

The BB is so big I just put entire other bags in it with no sweat. I rarely need to adjust. For example right now I carry in the main divider: my 6lb, 15" laptop and some papers, water bottle. 2nd divider: I just throw my whole packed purse (PCSB) in there, plus winter accessories (all of them).
Things I have thrown into my bag: A few days ago I wanted to bring a pair of shoes with me and it just went in easily into the main compartment. For a while I just had an umbrella in the bottom of my BB and I forgot about it. Or I put in my entire lunch bag with 4 6.5"x4.9"x3" tupperware into the second compartment and moved the PCSB to the first. Still room to spare.

If you really want to fit large boxes in your bag, then cutting your bag would make sense. However I don't find that the BB divider really prevents me from carrying any thing that I want in it. The only thing preventing me from packing more is weight. But I very much carry like a student, so you may differ greatly.

I think if you enjoyed modifying a bag in the past, then maybe that's what your profile best fits. However it really just depends on what you typically carry. But the BB was a huge surprise for me. It marked the end of me with a S25 with a tote bag stuffed in the bottom compartment in case I needed to carry more.

stevenkelby
02-01-2017, 03:25 PM
Thanks Julia, that's a lot to think about. I'll leave it for now and if the day comes that I need more space I'll cut it then, but not yet

julia
02-02-2017, 09:04 AM
No problem. If you need to carry big things- and you want them to be on your back- and they do not fit in the individual compartments ... then by all means I would say cut it. However if you haven't packed it and carried it and found struggles or issues, I would say wait.