PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on a modular Brain Cell replacement

Ms. Ferret
02-10-2017, 10:20 PM
Branching this off from an idea tpnl and I had in the 2017 Wishlist thread (https://forums.tombihn.com/general-bag-discussion/11774-2017-wish-list-5.html#post138789).

Since the Brain Cell is being discontinued in favor of the Cache, I'd love it if we paranoid Brain Cell diehards could have some kind of protective hard shell that could be used WITH a Cache, like:

Outer layer: Parapack or Cordura, like the Brain Cell. (In Azalea :o)

* Attachment points for shoulder straps, like the current Brain Cell.
* Attachment points for Annex clips, like the current Brain Cell.

- These would be used to clip the shell to the inside of a backpack or laptop bag, like the current design.
- Maybe Annex clips could also be used for add-a-pocket type accessories when the shell + Cache is being carried as a standalone case?

+ Rigid layer: Corrugated polypropylene, like in the current Brain Cell, to take the brunt of the impact if the bag is dropped.

+ Smooth interior section to hold a Cache: At first I was thinking that this should incorporate an unpadded sling to take the place of the padded sling in the Brain Cell. However -- for a shell that integrates with the Cache (and its Rails!), perhaps Gatekeeper Clip attachment points would work? This could both:

* Suspend the Cache away from the bottom of the rigid layer to insulate the machine from drop impacts.
* Make the entire rig more checkpoint-friendly, as the rails system could be used to slide the Cache out of the outer shell for inspection. The one annoyance I've had with the Cache + Rails in a bag that contains a bunch of other stuff is getting the Cache BACK in the bag after I've pulled it out at the checkpoint and the other stuff has settled into its place, which wouldn't be an issue if an anchored, rigid outer shell was holding the Cache's spot.

+ Interchangeable memory foam inserts: To protect the bottom end and/or pad out the rest of the interior, so fewer size variations of the shell would be necessary (well, in theory).

Viable? Overkill? :confused:

AVService
02-11-2017, 05:17 AM
Branching this off from an idea tpnl and I had in the 2017 Wishlist thread (https://forums.tombihn.com/general-bag-discussion/11774-2017-wish-list-5.html#post138789).

Since the Brain Cell is being discontinued in favor of the Cache, I'd love it if we paranoid Brain Cell diehards could have some kind of protective hard shell that could be used WITH a Cache, like:

Outer layer: Parapack or Cordura, like the Brain Cell. (In Azalea :o)

* Attachment points for shoulder straps, like the current Brain Cell.
* Attachment points for Annex clips, like the current Brain Cell.

- These would be used to clip the shell to the inside of a backpack or laptop bag, like the current design.
- Maybe Annex clips could also be used for add-a-pocket type accessories when the shell + Cache is being carried as a standalone case?

+ Rigid layer: Corrugated polypropylene, like in the current Brain Cell, to take the brunt of the impact if the bag is dropped.

+ Smooth interior section to hold a Cache: At first I was thinking that this should incorporate an unpadded sling to take the place of the padded sling in the Brain Cell. However -- for a shell that integrates with the Cache (and its Rails!), perhaps Gatekeeper Clip attachment points would work? This could both:

* Suspend the Cache away from the bottom of the rigid layer to insulate the machine from drop impacts.
* Make the entire rig more checkpoint-friendly, as the rails system could be used to slide the Cache out of the outer shell for inspection. The one annoyance I've had with the Cache + Rails in a bag that contains a bunch of other stuff is getting the Cache BACK in the bag after I've pulled it out at the checkpoint and the other stuff has settled into its place, which wouldn't be an issue if an anchored, rigid outer shell was holding the Cache's spot.

+ Interchangeable memory foam inserts: To protect the bottom end and/or pad out the rest of the interior, so fewer size variations of the shell would be necessary (well, in theory).

Viable? Overkill? :confused:
Don't know if you have used a Brain Cell or not but they are already somewhat adjustable and flexible enough to use with many different computers as long as you have one that is too big!

The sling inside is easily adjusted for depth if you just pull it out you will see the velcro joined bottom and you can easily make it shorter for one adjustment.
Then I have slid Neoprene mouse pads in around a smaller machine to make it more snug inside and less prone to move around too.

There are usually Brain Cell s for sale on Ebay and as long as you find one Bigger than needed it should be able to work for you just fine too.

I like your idea too in concept but just wanted to point out that the Brain Cell can also live on just as it already is too.

Ms. Ferret
02-11-2017, 08:26 AM
Don't know if you have used a Brain Cell or not but they are already somewhat adjustable and flexible enough to use with many different computers as long as you have one that is too big!

The sling inside is easily adjusted for depth if you just pull it out you will see the velcro joined bottom and you can easily make it shorter for one adjustment.
Then I have slid Neoprene mouse pads in around a smaller machine to make it more snug inside and less prone to move around too.

There are usually Brain Cell s for sale on Ebay and as long as you find one Bigger than needed it should be able to work for you just fine too.

I like your idea too in concept but just wanted to point out that the Brain Cell can also live on just as it already is too.

Yup, I'd love to see the Brain Cell live on as-is too. I have several Brain Cells and even (eventually! LOL) found the adjustment feature, though I never tried using mouse pads, that's a good idea. My current problem is that all of my existing Brain Cells are size 4-6, but my new laptop is enormous. I'll have to keep an eye on ebay.

I remember having a gargantuan Brain Cell at one point but it got sold along with my Super Ego, because "I'll never buy a new laptop this large!" <-- Ha ha ha. :(

Cronus
03-17-2017, 03:27 AM
I'd love to just see a cache with the necessary webbing loops so that they could be mounted to the side of the bag, similar to how the brain cell is. I was never a fan of the brain cell because of it's bulkiness and the Velcro(don't like the noise). The normal rails clips don't work that great in terms of suspending and holding the cache against the back of the bag in many of the TB bags.