PDA

View Full Version : DLBC as EDC

tgd
02-13-2017, 12:17 AM
Hi party people, here's how I've settled into my DLBC for EDC:

The shoulder strap pad is offset as I carry it messenger style with the bag hanging off my back.

I keep the slanted front pocket empty and use it for whatever I'm doing; letters if I'm going to the post office, checks for the bank, etc. The double zippered front pocket fits a 3DMOC, umbrella, FJNOI, and small DOP. The 3DMOC can hold a lot of stuff. I carry a few essentials in it:

The little black case holds Etymotic earbuds. In the other half of the front pocket I tether a DOP and a modified FJNOI:

The FJNOI sits on top:

I removed the stitches between two of the pen holders to make them bigger so I can fit bug spray next to a tube of painkillers. The tube is pushed to the bottom of the holder and the rubber-banded Burt's Bees sits on top of the painkiller tube. The rubber band just keep the Burt's Bees from moving around.

The 2nd expanded pen holder is for holding the USB-to-iphone cable. I use this a lot. A chequebook fits into the zippered pocket on the backside of the FJNOI. No idea what to put into the tiny mesh zipper pocket on the front so its empty. 6-color pen is fat but fits great and turns a notebook into a miniature whiteboard.

I don't dip into the DOP very often. Extra business cards & a collection of seldom used cards & metro passes.

...and of course a 13" MBP in a cache. That's all I have in the main compartment. I leave it empty to hold extra stuff as needed. On the back side:

...is kept a spiral notebook with a pen in the spiral. Notebook is a fluid TODO list and where I sketch out designs. It's easy to go back and review the past for things that are not crossed off. Slammo - Things Done (tm).

When I've been taking trips longer than a few days, I've been tossing the DLBC into a WF for a bag-in-a-bag approach. This works really well if I have a place to leave the WF. I'm looking at going pure WF for my next trip as I won't be in the same place twice. Maybe all the DLBC organization can map pretty easily into the WF? We'll see!

eliza
02-13-2017, 05:59 AM
That's a gorgeous bag:o Great photos!

Sacharissa
02-14-2017, 07:24 PM
I removed the stitches between two of the pen holders to make them bigger...

That is BRILLIANT! Thanks for the tip!!

AlaskaGirl
02-15-2017, 05:05 AM
Agreed, that is brilliant! The rubber band on the lip balm is great, too.

I rotate bags depending on my activities, so swapping out pouches is necessary. Enabler points to you, now I must have a FJNOI. Thanks you very much for sharing!!! elisa

Amy
02-15-2017, 06:12 AM
Love this. The rubber band idea is one I am going to adopt. I have never thought the daylight backpack would be much use to me, but now you made me reconsider. The fact it is both zippered and thin is appealing. I have been using my copilot similarly, but my 13" MacBook Pro retina is a tight fit in its neoprene case. I like the idea of a horizontal cache, and also the ability to carry full sized documents which are hard to fit in the copilot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Perseffect
02-15-2017, 12:50 PM
I have a few New Nordic items but they don't seem to look quite as cool as your photos. I've just realised, its the diagonal black zip on the DLBC. I think its the black contrast that really sets off the Nordic.

I just picked up a New Nordic/Steel Pilot (rather than the normal Nordic/NWS). I honestly think the darker contrasting colours (black and steel) work really well with the Nordic colour.

Great post, thanks.

FalconLorenzo
02-15-2017, 04:44 PM
This is a great post and an even better bag! I recently just got the DLBC and I'm loving it so far, mostly just using it for law school hauling my iPad Pro and a book, plus accessories. I Love how light and manageable it is, even with a heavy case book in there! Today I got both a medium and a small organizer pouch — both are a lot smaller than I imagined! I might have to cop one of those 3DMOCs if it fits that nicely in the split pockets!

I have highlighters and pens in a Medium Organizer in one of those split pockets, and the other one just has some loose hand creams and sanitizers. I might get the organizer cube to put the creams and an iPad brick and cable. This is my first Bihn bag, so I'm just feeling these things out right out and trying to set it up just right, organizationally.

Does anybody know if the large organizer pocket fits in the large back pocket of the DLBC? I'm sure it does, considering the medium and small are both a lot smaller than I was anticipating, but just want to double check before I pull the trigger on one.

I'm not super sold on either keeping the hand lotions together with the charging cables, and also not super sold on spending all this money on various organizers! LOL I'm assuming the 3DMOC would be too bulky for that back pocket, so I'm also considering using the Large organizer pouch in the back pocket just to store a charging brick, cable, and maybe a small apple watch cable that I have in my desk drawer, and other smaller cables for things.

Sorry for the long post, and thanks in advance for anybody who can answer some or all of these questions! Cheers!

tgd
03-16-2017, 08:41 AM
Does anybody know if the large organizer pocket fits in the large back pocket of the DLBC? I'm sure it does, considering the medium and small are both a lot smaller than I was anticipating, but just want to double check before I pull the trigger on one.

Hey FalconLorenzo, I finally got myself a large DOP. It definitely does not fit into the back pocket. Side view:

Bottom view:

Folded in half fits really nicely, though:

The medium DOP fits just fine in the back. In the front?

The mDOP fits in the front pocket with no up/down room to spare:

With the mDOP in the front pocket, you have to tuck the corner in a bit:

I hope this helps!

Kingsblade
03-26-2017, 01:56 AM
I love my DLBC! I have it paired with the Sidekick. Both are in Black Halcyon. Love them so much! Great pics and set up! I was curious about the Nordic. Looks amazing! Glad you like your bag