PDA

View Full Version : Night Flight Travel Duffle questions

bchaplin
02-28-2017, 06:31 PM
I'm a little late to the party, but I'm starting to wonder about the Night Flight Travel Duffle. For those of you who have traveled with one:

How does the Halcyon compare to the ballistic? Does Halcyon hold its shape and look sharp in this bag, or is it a little droopy vs. ballistic?

If filled to capacity, is the NFTD heavy to carry? How is the shape, in terms of "wearing it" while walking?

I've been using the Aeronaut 30 for my trips, and the problem I have is that the A30 gets heavy for me. I'm wondering if the NFTD plus a Synapse or Smart Alec would be more manageable. Has anyone tried this combo? Is it more awkward to carry two bags, or convenient in terms of dividing your things and having half of them available at your seat during the flight?

Do you have any photos of your NFTD in real-life use? There are some great TB videos already, showing what fits inside. My question is more concerned with how it looks from the outside when filled, and how it carries.

kkintea
02-28-2017, 07:36 PM
I fly with NFTD/Imago every week. I have everything on the flight with me because the bags fit side by side under the seat. The NFTD is from the original run. I took the lining out and there is plenty of "give" in the ballistic version. I never considered dyneema, even though I love it in other bags. Even when it's packed full, NFTD still hugs me at the side/front. I put the Imago on first and then NFTD. I can angle NFTD in front of me in this configuration and maneuver really easily down the aisle and in a crowd. I find the handle strap really handy on NFTD for this purpose, whereas I never use it on Imago. One week I had a longer trip and took the A30 instead. I missed NFTD so dearly on that trip! The A30 seems cumbersome by comparison when you're used to my compact system. I am in the airport tomorrow and I can take some "in action" pics.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170301/a2e78ac580c02527d97507b4daf84849.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fredlet
02-28-2017, 11:07 PM
I use mine a lot:
Recently Night Flight Travel Duffle & an ultralight trip* – fredlets travels (http://fredletstravels.com/2017/01/30/night-flight-travel-duffle-an-ultralight-trip/)

And for quick work trips by itself:
2-3 days in the Tom Bihn Night Flight Travel Duffle – fredlets travels (http://fredletstravels.com/2016/03/28/2-3-days-in-the-tom-bihn-night-flight-travel-duffle/)

fredletsTravels.com

Amy G
03-01-2017, 03:10 AM
The NFTD is my favorite travel bag for short trips (although most of mine are in a car). I have an original grid Halcyon/UV and it has plenty of structure to maintain its shape. I did have a ballistic one for awhile but found it easier to access the end pockets in the Halcyon one. However, I think either material works great.

bchaplin
03-01-2017, 01:56 PM
The NFTD is my favorite travel bag for short trips (although most of mine are in a car). I have an original grid Halcyon/UV and it has plenty of structure to maintain its shape. I did have a ballistic one for awhile but found it easier to access the end pockets in the Halcyon one. However, I think either material works great.

@Amy G, with your NF in Halcyon, are you keeping the attached foam inside? Or does it maintain its shape without it?

I'm really torn between which material would be best. I do like the idea of having something that would stand upright in a hotel room or on a plane, like the Co-Pilot does, because I find it makes it easier to keep things organized and accessible. But I also like the idea of matchy bags, and my backpacks are all Halcyon.

kkintea
03-01-2017, 02:12 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170301/2dc1ecc2eedae104ea55243405a5f430.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170301/4ace51a76baa0a6d3887b153142748f6.jpg

I will try to get a better two-bag photo. This one was a selfie because I was hesitant to ask a stranger for a bag photo...

kkintea
03-01-2017, 02:15 PM
If it helps, I've given up matching. There are too many variations of "steel". I also have both styles of black halcyon, as well as original Nordic in the mix.

Amy G
03-01-2017, 02:20 PM
All my bags are halcyon as well. I leave the foam in but the NF will maintain its structure in height fairly well without the foam. It can be compressed from the ends without the foam if there is nothing inside. That actually works well if you want to pack it empty in another bag.

sujo
03-01-2017, 02:50 PM
Not sure how well anyone answered the weight once filled.

I carried mine (coyote ballistic/steel) filled with clothes for five days (work), a jacket, 3-1-1, and pair of sandals. I didn't weigh it but it couldn't have been more than 10 pounds. My guess is less. It was light. I also had a Large Café Bag with a computer inside and I could carry both on the same shoulder. The two bags were lighter than having it all packed inside an A30. That combo also fits nicely under the seat on the plane.

bchaplin
03-01-2017, 04:52 PM
Thanks so much for all the feedback and photos; this is really helpful!

bchaplin
03-01-2017, 05:43 PM
One more question -- and sorry, because I'm sure this has been covered but I can't find it:
Does the Side Kick fit in one of the end pockets of the Night Flight Travel Duffel?

Amy G
03-01-2017, 05:52 PM
One more question -- and sorry, because I'm sure this has been covered but I can't find it:
Does the Side Kick fit in one of the end pockets of the Night Flight Travel Duffel?

Not very well. I could squeeze my empty Halcyon SK in but I think it would be difficult if it was full or Ballistic.

anna2222
03-02-2017, 06:23 PM
I have a question to tag onto this thread. I purchased an A30 a month ago and I have not used it yet, and I am a minimalist packer. While it looked small in the beginning, now it seems it might be too big for my needs, I am just not sure. The night flight being the same kind of duffel system, has anyone gone from an A30 to a Night Flight successfully?

Amy G
03-02-2017, 06:54 PM
I have a question to tag onto this thread. I purchased an A30 a month ago and I have not used it yet, and I am a minimalist packer. While it looked small in the beginning, now it seems it might be too big for my needs, I am just not sure. The night flight being the same kind of duffel system, has anyone gone from an A30 to a Night Flight successfully?

I have both the A30 and NFTD. I find the A30 too much bag for 3-4 days unless I am taking extra shoes and winter wear. I routinely travel for long weekends with the NFTD and have plenty of room. My post above shows a typical packing list of 2 packing cubes for clothes, a small bag for underthings and socks and a SSK for toiletries. I can also fit womens size 7.5 Teva sandals in one end pocket. I am a middle of the road packer, neither a minimalist nor a doomsday take everything type. The NFTD is my most used travel bag which I did not expect when I purchased it.

kkintea
03-02-2017, 07:14 PM
I have both the A30 and NFTD. I find the A30 too much bag for 3-4 days unless I am taking extra shoes and winter wear. I routinely travel for long weekends with the NFTD and have plenty of room. My post above shows a typical packing list of 2 packing cubes for clothes, a small bag for underthings and socks and a SSK for toiletries. I can also fit womens size 7.5 Teva sandals in one end pocket. I am a middle of the road packer, neither a minimalist nor a doomsday take everything type. The NFTD is my most used travel bag which I did not expect when I purchased it.

I agree 110%. I have definitely pared down my packing after TB indoctrination, but I also did not expect NFTD to be my most used travel bag. I can go longer than 3-4 days, but on one pair of shoes. I have been traveling with a jacket in one end pocket (rolled), a 3D clear cube for toiletries and a water bottle in the other end pocket, and clothes separated in the A45 laundry stuff sack in the middle compartment.

Drandrew
03-02-2017, 07:24 PM
Hi! I am also considering the NFTD vs. another bag for a carryon. I have the A45 and I love it but it got incredibly heavy lugging it through those interminable international airports (the corridors are endless!). I like the aspects of this bag but a few quick questions: I was unaware of the foam insert. What's its purpose? Also I compared the ballistic to the dyneema and while the ballistic is about 5 ounces heavier, I wonder if that's noticeable. I will be using the bag to hold an emergency clothes change in case my suitcase gets lost, which often occurs. My trips are long enough that I need to check a suitcase. Thanks!

bchaplin
03-03-2017, 06:54 AM
Ha. And I waited so long thinking about it that my choice of color, steel/UV, is gone. Guess this thread convinced others to buy the NFTD!

kkintea
03-03-2017, 07:17 AM
Hi! I am also considering the NFTD vs. another bag for a carryon. I have the A45 and I love it but it got incredibly heavy lugging it through those interminable international airports (the corridors are endless!). I like the aspects of this bag but a few quick questions: I was unaware of the foam insert. What's its purpose? Also I compared the ballistic to the dyneema and while the ballistic is about 5 ounces heavier, I wonder if that's noticeable. I will be using the bag to hold an emergency clothes change in case my suitcase gets lost, which often occurs. My trips are long enough that I need to check a suitcase. Thanks!

I believe the insert was meant for functioning as a camera bag. The NFTD is so compact, it feels like a feather even when full compared to the A30/A45. I have both Aeronauts in Halycon, but they can get heavy.

turnleftbrighteyes
03-03-2017, 01:44 PM
Re the profile of the NFTD: it is a bit boxier than other bags, but I've no problems carrying it in a museum. I definitely could not have done that with something like a Synapse or Aeronaut (not the least because museums don't let in backpacks.) When fully loaded, particularly if there electronics, it can get heavy, but it generally seems pretty well balanced since the end pockets seem to swallow the heavy stuff and I end up using the main compartment for lighter things. But next to a fully loaded Aeronaut, the NFTD is nothing.

Re fabric: I have a ballistic (and I removed the foam insert); I wish I actually had a halcyon one, as particularly with this bag, I think I'd appreciate the smoosh/stretch factor.

All that said, I am very much contemplating getting a mini Yeoman, since I think my issues with the NFTD (squeezing in shoes; full-sized magazines and papers) would be solved by the empty space of the Yeoman.

anna2222
03-03-2017, 02:52 PM
Today I just received my aether packing cubes for the A30 that I ordered a month ago (ordered 4 aethers). I think it was bchaplin's pics that convinced me to look into this for use on the SA. So I literally had these gorgeous TB bags sitting in wait for these cubes for a test pack for my trip later this month. They work great in the A30 of course, but when I put them in my SA, I was in heaven. They balance so well and it actually feels like I am carrying less weight! So I will be returning the A30, as it really is too big for my needs, and using my SA as my main packing gear.

ONE MORE THING (yes this DOES have to do with the Night Flight) I also know that I still want a small duffel and so I ORDERED A NF! In Halycon/wasabi, so I did not take the last steel color from bchaplin. Would never do that to a fellow Bihnion! I did realize a few things about color too. I definitely prefer the wasabi interior to the UV. I like UV accessories and I have some, but overall for the bigger bags where there is an expanse of fabric, I can see things better with the wasabi.

Am so thrilled to be getting very close to the right TB items for my travel needs!

Duggy'sMom
03-03-2017, 05:29 PM
Will this bag be made in aubergine again?

bchaplin
03-04-2017, 04:00 AM
ONE MORE THING (yes this DOES have to do with the Night Flight) I also know that I still want a small duffel and so I ORDERED A NF! In Halycon/wasabi, so I did not take the last steel color from bchaplin. Would never do that to a fellow Bihnion! I did realize a few things about color too. I definitely prefer the wasabi interior to the UV. I like UV accessories and I have some, but overall for the bigger bags where there is an expanse of fabric, I can see things better with the wasabi.

Thanks for the kind post! It makes me so happy to hear that you tried my idea for the A30 cubes in the Smart Alec! I traveled that way on my last trip and it did work really well. I was on a crowded JetBlue flight and happy to cede the overhead to others and slip the SA under the seat while everyone jostled for space.

I am also excited to try the NFTD despite the surprise of learning that it won't fit the Side Kick very well. I think the added flexibility of a shoulder bag that size will be really useful on a lot of flights. Hope you share your thoughts when your NF gets delivered!

Beth

scottiedog
03-05-2017, 10:48 AM
I took the night flight for 14 days in Seville last October, along with a small, carry on rollerboard. The NF (black halcyon) was my first TB bag, and now I'm hooked! So lightweight, but surprising what you can pack (also used TB packing cube in main section).

anna2222
03-05-2017, 12:46 PM
Hi Scottiedog,

Did you use the Night Flight's packing cubes? Do they fit perfectly in the main compartment? I watched the video on this bag and the matching packing cubes actually looked like they were smaller than the main compartment and left gaps.

bchaplin
03-05-2017, 01:26 PM
Hi, @anna2222: Of course I don't have the NFTD yet, but I'll share this post (https://forums.tombihn.com/general-bag-discussion/7863-night-flight-18.html#post75178) from @kkintea from 2014; she used Eagle Creek's Pack-It Specter Half Cubes in place of the TB ones. I started looking into this because the TB NF cubes are temporarily sold out. I already own the compression version of the Eagle Creek Specter Half Cubes, so I may give those a try.

kkintea
03-05-2017, 01:29 PM
I am traveling with NFTD right now sans cubes. I only use the laundry stuff sack on my weekly commute. For longer trips, the compression cubes are great. I also already had some at the time I bought NFTD, and then I got a few more when they worked so well.

fredlet
03-07-2017, 11:41 PM
Hi, @anna2222: Of course I don't have the NFTD yet, but I'll share this post (https://forums.tombihn.com/general-bag-discussion/7863-night-flight-18.html#post75178) from @kkintea from 2014; she used Eagle Creek's Pack-It Specter Half Cubes in place of the TB ones. I started looking into this because the TB NF cubes are temporarily sold out. I already own the compression version of the Eagle Creek Specter Half Cubes, so I may give those a try.

Oh the REI micro cubes work perfectly in the NFTD
https://www.rei.com/product/888129/rei-co-op-expandable-packing-cube-micro

fredletsTravels.com

anna2222
03-08-2017, 07:50 AM
Thank you! Those look great, and I live pretty close to and REI, so BINGO! There was a video demo of an Eagle Creek compression cube that you zip closed and it becomes even thinner. Is that these? I could not tell from the pics. The fit though looks just about perfect.

anna2222
03-08-2017, 07:51 AM
Thanks fredlet! Do you know of any video demos of this type of packing cube? How many compressed can you fit in the NFTD? And do you stack them vertically or lay them on top of eachother?

anna2222
03-08-2017, 08:19 AM
Just got the notice that the NF Packing cubes are in stock!

fredlet
03-08-2017, 04:36 PM
Thanks fredlet! Do you know of any video demos of this type of packing cube? How many compressed can you fit in the NFTD? And do you stack them vertically or lay them on top of eachother?

I have 2 of them, let me go do some pictures :) hold on...

Ok here are the NFTD cube and the REI micro next to each other.

Then the micro stuffed with 8 pair of ankle socks (lol, it's what I had handy.) normally I'd pack 2-3 tshirts and leggings in one, then socks and undies + 1 more shirt in the other
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170309/3c3e2de6bf93901dc9ba4b1e2f8b2294.jpg

Then the (mostly) full micro in the NFTD
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170309/bfece28a120ecbb088e7aa3f6cf76d38.jpg

Compare the NFTD cube with same amount of socks
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170309/d020a5df2b18fd0fc8551f2fbaec01fc.jpg

I usually put the double packing cube (I have wasabi) in one end pocket, the NFTD cube in the other to contain my transcend cpap and hose then my travel tray on top of center compartment stuff.

fredletsTravels.com

fredlet
03-13-2017, 01:53 PM
This reminds me I need to do an updated NFTD post for my latest iteration of stuff (my travel constants have evolved since my last post).
Does anyone have a list of stuff you don't travel without in your NFTD? I'd love to compare notes!

fredletsTravels.com

bchaplin
03-14-2017, 12:42 PM
And now that my NFTD's have arrived, choosing between them has been incredibly difficult:

The ballistic black/steel would not have been my first color choice. Because it's so dark inside I may "lose' things, even in so small a bag. However, the ballistic version functions better without the foam insert, whereas the Nordic Halcyon/wasabi one gets kind of saggy. Too bad, because the Nordic is so pretty, and as others have noted, the zipper on the side pockets opens more smoothly, and the end pockets seem to accommodate a bit more. Even as I type this I haven't completely made up my mind.

Had steel/UV been available when I ordered it would have been an easier decision. (Of course it is now back in stock!)

I do like the NFTD concept. I trial-packed it to hold:
* one toiletry case in an end pocket
* one Side Effect in the other end pocket, plus a 3D cube
* one Eagle Creek Specter Half-Cube, either compression or regular, in the main compartment
* a second EC cube, or an array of small pouches and stuff sacks, on top

I would probably pair it with a backpack to hold the rest of my clothes. For most of the flight situations I find myself in, this combo should be "legal". My other thought is that it can be paired with a small roller, so that even if that got checked for whatever reason, I would have my most important things, and a change of clothes, in the bag that's at my feet.

The one thing that makes me sad is that a Side Kick does not easily fit in the NFTD, particularly in the end pocket where it would be convenient. However, I get that they want to keep it personal-item-sized, and every inch matters. Obviously there are ways around this issue. I might just switch back to traveling with a Side Effect, which does fit, and a Small Cafe Bag for everyday touring.

A note about the use of the EC cubes: I already had them on hand, and when I placed the order, the TB ones sized for this bag were not in stock. Now they are back.

LilAve
03-14-2017, 01:01 PM
I didn't even know the foam insert could be removed. When I get home from work, I gotta test pack my NFTD and see what else I can squeeze into it sans insert.

bchaplin
03-14-2017, 01:06 PM
I learned about that from @kkintea. If you have the patience to read back through this thread there is a lot of NFTD info!
---
Actually, maybe she mentioned that in an earlier thread. But others made reference to it. Anyway, lots of great tips.

LilAve
03-14-2017, 02:00 PM
This is awesome. You learn something new everyday here! Almost hometime means almost trial packing time. I can't wait to take the foam out and see what else I can fit in the main compartment.

kkintea
03-14-2017, 02:58 PM
I took it out Day 1 and haven't looked back. I cannot play the dangerous game of "I'll send one back". It's always "Oh, but I need TWO clearly!".

Traveltech
03-14-2017, 03:06 PM
Lov the NFTD, but really wish those main compartment side panels had zippers like on the A30. Would give so much more flexibility... and (since I'm asking) I'd love a trolley sleeve like the one on the co-pilot.

bchaplin
04-11-2017, 05:26 PM
Finally got to use my new NFTD. (I went away for a long weekend.) I was thrilled to fit all my clothes and other things in the NFTD and Synapse 19, and bragged to @ceepee about it. Then I tried to get out the door, and realized that because I was recovering from a bad cold, I needed to pack half a pharmacy to keep me from coughing incessantly, and the Synapse got too full to carry comfortably. So I transferred my clothes to my small Osprey roller, and that worked quite well for this trip, which involved just one direct JetBlue flight and a rental car. I don't mind rollers as long as I know I'll get overhead space, and I'm familiar enough with JetBlue to be assured of boarding early.

On the way there, the NFTD stored:
END pocket 1: iPad mini, Side Effect with wallet, cash, notebook, pens, etc., phone, earphones
END pocket 2: toiletry case, with a pouch of VIA packs in the smaller side pocket
MAIN pocket: small cube of clothes, small Snake Charmer with cords/chargers in one side, and tissues and meds in another, inhaler, baggie of cough drops, travel tray

(The suitcase had all my overflow clothes. It's a very light 19" roller and easy enough to pick up by the top handle and carry when needed.)

The other thing I should point out about the NFTD is that my sleeping quarters were somewhat cramped, and I really liked having all my odds and ends corralled in one place. It made packing up the morning I was leaving very simple, as there was little to re-pack. The NFTD lived on this office chair.

Of course the same was true on the flight. As others have shown, the NFTD fits great underneath a seat, and everything I needed was right at hand. I usually remember, too late, that something I wanted to have with me was left in the bag that is stored in the overhead, and that didn't happen to me this time.

turnleftbrighteyes
04-11-2017, 05:44 PM
Lov the NFTD, but really wish those main compartment side panels had zippers like on the A30. Would give so much more flexibility... and (since I'm asking) I'd love a trolley sleeve like the one on the co-pilot.

This is brilliant (and could conceivably solve my shoe/magazine issues which keeps me from using it as much as I'd like.) Since the Aeronauts are being tweaked, perhaps this change could come to their little sister?!