PDA

View Full Version : Accessory bag for nurse gear

kad
03-07-2017, 09:00 AM
I need help deciding on an accessory bag for my nursing/work stuff. Scissors, calipers, pens, highlighter, chapstick, small hand lotion, gum, etc.

I like the pouchy look of the snake charmer (is it just for cables?) and the 3D organizer, but I could see where one of the medium flat bag might work also. I'm currently using a largish pencil case but the seams are tearing so I'd like something a little sturdier.

Any advice would be appreciated.

AHesting
03-07-2017, 09:12 AM
I LOVE my Small Snake Charmer....it holds a lot of stuff. I use it as a knitting project bag with not a cable in sight! I really like the two compartments and the handle loop on the end. I also wonder if maybe a Side Effect would be good for what you carry.

nealopp
03-07-2017, 09:58 AM
Student nurse here!

I use a large snake charmer (I've had it for years, and didn't buy it for this) to carry my personal gear to clinicals: steth goes by itself on one side, and the other side gets a dump with scissors, pens, lights, hemostats... Were I to purchase one today, I would probably consider a small snake charmer, but I don't really know how big it actually is (that is, would my steth be umcomfortably tight?).

There is still plenty of room in the large charmer, so it's a bit floppy...

terayon
03-07-2017, 10:49 AM
I think you'd have a tough time fitting a stethoscope into a Small Snake Charmer. But the rest of what you listed would be swim in it (though i'm not sure how much "etc" you've got).

Personally I like the Side Effect for its compartmentalization but a medium Clear Organizer Pouch would work well too (no compartmentalization but you can see the contents; some people find the plastic clingy).

Some scissors will be too long for a 3D Organizer Cube, but you can check the specs if you go that route.

RDR3
03-07-2017, 01:19 PM
I need help deciding on an accessory bag for my nursing/work stuff. Scissors, calipers, pens, highlighter, chapstick, small hand lotion, gum, etc.

I like the pouchy look of the snake charmer (is it just for cables?) and the 3D organizer, but I could see where one of the medium flat bag might work also. I'm currently using a largish pencil case but the seams are tearing so I'd like something a little sturdier.

Any advice would be appreciated.

I don't have a stethoscope with me right now but here is an adult BP cuff to give you an idea of sizes.
3D all fabric OC,
Side effect
Small snake charmer
Large snake charmer

The 3DOC is too small and the SE is going to be a tight squeeze with your items.
The small SC is just compact enough and the large SC will give you that extra space for 'bit and pieces' of papers, post it notes, alcohol wipes....
HTH

kad
03-07-2017, 02:45 PM
Thanks for the feedback and the photos - very helpful. I usually store my stethoscope in my locker, but I remember those nursing student days when I had to lug all my gear to clinicals - haha! This bag would be more for smaller work and personal items that I like to keep with me at my work station.

This will be my first TB purchase. I can't wait until I can get the bag of my dreams.

threeteez
03-07-2017, 07:20 PM
When I saw the heading, my first thought was the passport pouch or a FJN organizational insert (I'm in my 35th year of nursing and well remember plastic pocket protectors for my four-color pens, bandage scissors and calipers, haha!).

When I read it was for your work station, I thought of the regular size Travel Tray, though maybe you'd prefer something that zips closed except when you're using it. I find Halcyon fabric easy to hand wash and it dries fast (I wash my shop bags regularly) if that's a consideration for you.

You may want to peruse the TB Essentials thread since folks mention a good number of accessories. Enjoy making your choice :)
https://forums.tombihn.com/general-bag-discussion/11977-tb-essentials.html

RDR3
03-08-2017, 12:43 AM
plastic pocket protectors
I was trying to remember what those were called!!!! I had one in my lab coat too :) My first thought was a FJN insert equivalent. I'll have to dig mine up again :)

BajaMandy
03-08-2017, 02:14 AM
This bag would be more for smaller work and personal items that I like to keep with me at my work station.

If you're not looking for something to put your 'scope in, get a small snake charmer. I have one that has, no kidding, probably 30 pens in one side, and a variety of post-it pads, rolls of tape, forensic rulers, etc., etc on the other side. Plus - the grab-loops on one end & the triangle clip on the other are SUPER handy ways to tote the SSC around or clip it into whatever bag you're carrying to/from work.

Also, this may be your *first* TB purchase......but it won't be your last! Welcome to the family!

dottem
03-08-2017, 09:00 AM
Fellow nurse to fellow nurse, I though I'd add my two cents by saying I purchased the Small Snake Charmer, and it does fit my stethoscope. It's a standard 3M Littmann Classic and I'd say the fit is snug, but it doesn't contort the tubing too awkwardly. I pack the Snake Charmer into my Synapse 19, and use one side for my stethoscope and small black book of useful information, and the other side for swabs, tape, scissors, and other random and pointy things.

kad
03-08-2017, 11:30 AM
Love that! I ordered the small snake charmer and I can't wait to get it!!!! It's only a matter of time before I have a collection of organizers since bags are my "thing" and I really love to bring my stuff with me when I leave the house. I know...Weirdo!!!!

Great advice - thanks everyone.