PDA

View Full Version : Day pack for Aeronaut 30

jeremybrooks
03-13-2017, 11:18 AM
Hi,

I'm going to be in Vietnam for a couple of weeks. I am thinking of taking an Aeronaut 30 as my main bag. I would like to pack a daypack inside the Aeronaut, and then use it to carry my 11" MacBook, a water bottle, and a lens or two.

Would the Daylight or packing cube backpack work better for that?

Also, would it make sense to just carry the Aeronaut for a day pack, minus clothing and stuff I don't need during the day? It doesn't seem like there is a great way to carry a laptop in there on its own...

Thoughts?

BWeaves
03-13-2017, 12:35 PM
A30 is not a daypack. I think you'd be miserable carrying the A30 as a daypack.

jillgil76
03-13-2017, 12:39 PM
The DLBP is perfect with the A30. That is my usual travel combo. The DLBP easily fits in the A30 and is a great bag as a day bag. Light, but more than enough space for anything you might pick up along the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1holegrouper
03-13-2017, 01:21 PM
The DLBP is perfect with the A30. That is my usual travel combo. The DLBP easily fits in the A30 and is a great bag as a day bag. Light, but more than enough space for anything you might pick up along the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This ^. Also, I would recommend getting the DLBP in Halcyon. The A30, while my favorite main travel bag, would make a terrible day pack IMHO

pammy
03-13-2017, 01:46 PM
I love my dyneema (halcyon) DLBP. It always travels with me because I love its light weight and great organization. When I travel with my A30, I tuck the DLBP into the backpack strap compartment. It takes up no extra room and is the perfect daypack at my destination. Try it, you'll love it!

And I also echo the sentiments previously expressed, I definitely would not want to use the A30 as a daypack. It is a travel bag, not a regular backpack. With the heat and humidity of Vietnam, I would imagine it could be pretty miserable toting that on your back all day long for a couple of weeks. Just my opinion, though...

bouncing
03-13-2017, 05:54 PM
I don't think any computer would fit, but I use a sidekick as a day bag with the A30. It's great for a Kindle, wallet, keys, phone, even a small umbrella.

jeremybrooks
03-14-2017, 07:38 AM
Thanks for the feedback!

tweek
03-14-2017, 07:58 AM
I agree with the halcyon DLBP. It's light, packs down small, and water resistant. And compared with the PCBP it has more internal organization. Enjoy your trip!

jeremybrooks
03-14-2017, 10:07 AM
I can never choose things sight unseen. I have an A30+DLBP, S25, and S19 on the way. One of those I'll end up keeping and using as my only travel bag.

Thanks for the good return policy!

Perseffect
03-16-2017, 03:52 AM
On another note, why carry the laptop around each day on (i assume) a vacation? I got into the habbit of always carrying mine when out and about because I could. Only when I stopped to ask if I should did I ditch it during the day and had much more freedom to explore (smaller daily bag and lighter weight).

Of course, it could be that security is an issue to leave the laptop at your hotel/hostel etc.

Just a thought, I find it good to challenge what I'm carrying and simplify as much as possible, especially with heavier electrical devices.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jeremybrooks
03-17-2017, 12:54 PM
I carry the laptop because it contains all the photos made by me and my wife during the trip. That's too much to risk losing. It is light enough that carrying it is not a big deal.

Ilkyway
03-18-2017, 11:31 AM
@jeremybooks I tolally agree, when it comes to pictures taken I am quite extra cautios too. No way of getting them back should they get lost. For the longest time, whenever I left the house I would pack a 2,5" HD with all my photos backed up on because if the house burns down, most things are replacable. But the moments captured on pictures, well in fact thouse pictures might not be.

Now I switched to storing my pictures in a clowed service to save on weight but the HD-solution was deffinatly cheaper. Funny thing: before I became a mother I never took pictures. Back than I would not have understood how protective one can feel about fotos. Today (16 years and nearly 7oo GB worth of pictures later) I feel quite differently.

I am curios to know, for which bag you will sattle :-)

Ilkyway

jeremybrooks
03-20-2017, 08:49 AM
@Ilkyway - At home I have all images on redundant storage (a Drobo), which I clone periodically and store the clone offsite. In addition, everything is on Backblaze for a worst case scenario.

jeremybrooks
03-20-2017, 08:50 AM
And the winner is ... S25!

I can fit everything in the S19, but my wife says it is too small and looks ridiculous when I put it on.

The A30 is an incredible bag, but I would only use it when flying. I have a similarly sized leather duffle I take for road trips.

The S25 has a surprising amount of space, great organization, and is something that I can replace a couple of existing backpacks with. So, I will use it much more often than I would use the A30.

Ilkyway
03-20-2017, 09:37 AM
jeremybrooks I had not heard about Backblaze yet. Will read up on it.

I think the S25 is a solid choice: handles underpacking well and works great both for travel and daily use.

Ilkyway