PDA

View Full Version : S25 + Organizer Pouch? + TSS? + 3DOC? + Packing Cubes?

cdh
03-13-2017, 10:04 PM
I. INTRODUCTION

The TL;DR version is: I got a new S25! Help me fill it in an efficient and minimalist way that still allows me to buy cool TB accessories!

The full version is as follows:

I just got my first TB bag, a Synapse 25 in Grey Cordura with Iberian Halcyon interior lining. It looks great! I am looking for some organization advice. Here are the relevant provisos:

1. The bag will be mainly for (I hope) one-bag travel, though I have no immediate major plans to go anywhere.
2. I would like to strike a balance between organized and uncomplicated (so not too many organizational accessories).
3. I'm probably in the market for 2-4 TB accessories.

II. CURRENT S25 SETUP

I have emptied out my old Patagonia Refugio 28L backpack (some interior seams were tearing and I used that as an excuse to get a TB bag instead of trying to have Patagonia fix it for me!) and relocated its contents to where I think they will go in the S25, as follows:

A. Left Front Pocket:
1. Pen, flashlight, toothbrush in the slots
2. Sunglasses case with sunglasses and prescription glasses nested inside

B. Right Front Pocket:
1. Mouse
2. Baggu nylon pouch containing (a, b) plug and cord for my phone and Kindle, (c) an outlet splitter, and (d) an ethernet dongle for my laptop

C. Center Deep Pocket:
1. Kindle
2. Small Baggu nylon pouch containing first-aid items and medications
3. Ziploc that I'm using for my 3-1-1 toiletries bag

D. Center Shallow Pocket (easy-grab items with air travel in mind):
1. Extra contacts
2. Earbuds
3. Sleep mask
4. Earplugs
5. Floss
6. Cable splitter for audio

E. Bottom Pocket:
[Nothing so far; running shoes or light insulated jacket may go in there; each fits on its own]

F. Main compartment:
1. [My Samsung Ultrabook will go in here but right now I'm typing on it]
2. [Clothes would go in here if I were packing for a trip]

G. Homeless Items:
1. Ultrabook power cord (of the two-cords-plus-brick variety; brick is small but with cords wound around it's about the size of a 12 oz. water bottle)

III. DISCUSSION

A. Packing cube recommendations? I'd like a snug fit, but not something that fills the whole main compartment, since I might be putting a jacket or shoes in that pocket in addition to the cube. I'd only have a couple tee shirts, maybe a collared shirt, a pair of shorts, and some underwear and socks, mostly merino. I was thinking a medium TS packing cube would work? People seem to use the large Aether Aeronaut packing cubes in the S25, but I don't think I have enough clothes to fill something like that and it seems like that would fill the entire main pocket.

B. I am thinking about replacing my electronics Baggu pouch (II.B.2) with a size-1 TSS. It seems like the TSS's really fit well in the S25 side pockets. Is this a good idea? The other possibility would be a Q-kit.

C. I would like to replace my 3-1-1 Ziploc (II.C.3) with a 3DOC. Question is: will the 3DOC fit in the Center Deep Pocket (with/without Kindle)? I am hoping to be able to utilize that pocket for toiletries. A lot of people put their toiletries and electronics bundles in the bottom pocket, but I'd like to use it for shoes/jacket.

D. I am wondering if it makes sense to get a Small Organizer Pouch to corral the quick-grab stuff in the Center Shallow Pocket. The center pockets seem less easy to access than the side ones. My worry with the small OP is that all I'd be adding is a zipper.

E. Where should I put my Ultrabook power cord (II.G.1)? I might be able to stuff it in the bottom pocket with shoes.

Thanks!

Rocks
03-14-2017, 06:44 AM
Hi cdh!
The 3D COC will definitely fir in the center deep pocket along with your Kindle.

For packing cubes, I have used the medium Tristar in my Synapse 25. It fits in the elastic pocket in the main compartment. I also really like Packing Cube Shoulder Bags as packing cubes because then you have an option for a minimalist day bag, too.

Another fun accessory is the Small Snake Charmer. On my last trip it held my Via coffee packets, travel power adapter, and other miscellaneous things I can't remember.

terayon
03-14-2017, 07:09 AM
A. Packing cube recommendations? I'd like a snug fit, but not something that fills the whole main compartment, since I might be putting a jacket or shoes in that pocket in addition to the cube. I'd only have a couple tee shirts, maybe a collared shirt, a pair of shorts, and some underwear and socks, mostly merino. I was thinking a medium TS packing cube would work? People seem to use the large Aether Aeronaut packing cubes in the S25, but I don't think I have enough clothes to fill something like that and it seems like that would fill the entire main pocket.

I've used small A45 cubes and Packing Cube Shoulder Bags. Both leave oodles of room in the main compartment. If I'm not mistaken, the medium TS cube is comparable in size, so that should be fine. (Even the large A45 cube doesn't take up all the space, but it sounds like more than you need.)

B. I am thinking about replacing my electronics Baggu pouch (II.B.2) with a size-1 TSS. It seems like the TSS's really fit well in the S25 side pockets. Is this a good idea? The other possibility would be a Q-kit.

The size 1 TSS does fit nicely in there. A mini Q-kit leaves lots of room; a small Q-kit also works especially if not completely stuffed. I like the Q-kits myself as they're easier to get stuff into and out of, plus they clip on to o-rings.

C. I would like to replace my 3-1-1 Ziploc (II.C.3) with a 3DOC. Question is: will the 3DOC fit in the Center Deep Pocket (with/without Kindle)? I am hoping to be able to utilize that pocket for toiletries. A lot of people put their toiletries and electronics bundles in the bottom pocket, but I'd like to use it for shoes/jacket.

That will work fine.

D. I am wondering if it makes sense to get a Small Organizer Pouch to corral the quick-grab stuff in the Center Shallow Pocket. The center pockets seem less easy to access than the side ones. My worry with the small OP is that all I'd be adding is a zipper.

I think you're right about just adding a zipper.

E. Where should I put my Ultrabook power cord (II.G.1)? I might be able to stuff it in the bottom pocket with shoes.

Maybe a small Q-kit or 3D organizer cube attached to an o-ring in the main compartment? (Check the dimensions to see if the cord would fit.)

cdh
03-14-2017, 09:08 AM
@rocks @terrayon thanks for the great recommendations!

cdh
03-22-2017, 02:42 PM
Hi cdh!
The 3D COC will definitely fir in the center deep pocket along with your Kindle.

For packing cubes, I have used the medium Tristar in my Synapse 25. It fits in the elastic pocket in the main compartment. I also really like Packing Cube Shoulder Bags as packing cubes because then you have an option for a minimalist day bag, too.

Another fun accessory is the Small Snake Charmer. On my last trip it held my Via coffee packets, travel power adapter, and other miscellaneous things I can't remember.

You're right!

I ordered a 3DOC and it fits in the deep center pocket with room to spare. I think I could put the kindle, the 3DOC, and winter hat and glove liners in that pocket. Thanks for replying to my question!

cdh
03-22-2017, 02:45 PM
I've used small A45 cubes and Packing Cube Shoulder Bags. Both leave oodles of room in the main compartment. If I'm not mistaken, the medium TS cube is comparable in size, so that should be fine. (Even the large A45 cube doesn't take up all the space, but it sounds like more than you need.)

The size 1 TSS does fit nicely in there. A mini Q-kit leaves lots of room; a small Q-kit also works especially if not completely stuffed. I like the Q-kits myself as they're easier to get stuff into and out of, plus they clip on to o-rings.

That will work fine.

I think you're right about just adding a zipper.

Maybe a small Q-kit or 3D organizer cube attached to an o-ring in the main compartment? (Check the dimensions to see if the cord would fit.)

I got a small Q-kit and it fit my electronics perfectly. Also, as to your recommendation to use the 3DOC for my laptop cord, I
tested that theory using the 3DCOC I bought for toiletries. Works perfectly, plus it will fit my mouse!

Thanks for the tips! Now I need to find somewhere to travel....

moriond
03-22-2017, 09:19 PM
@cdh and others,

You got some great specific recommendations in answer to your questions from @Rocks and @terayon. For people who like to see a sample visual pack-up of the Synapse 25 with packing cubes, I'd point to @Badger's Synapse 25 kitted for summer travel (https://forums.tombihn.com/packing-lists-and-travel-tips/11092-synapse-25-kitted-summer-travel.html) thread. (In post #4 I asked about substituting the Medium Tri-Star Packing Cube, which is smaller than the Aeronaut 30 Large + Small Packing Cube combination @Badger used; see her reply reply about wanting to put the second, smaller packing cube on top). Also, for people who want to see pictures of how some of the stuff sack and 3D organizer cubes are sized for use in the various front, side and bottom pockets of the Synapse 25, the Synapse 25 (https://forums.tombihn.com/accessories-organization-strategies/11497-synapse-25.html) thread started under the present Accessories + Organization Strategies forum (https://forums.tombihn.com/accessories-organization-strategies/) is a good place to check.

HTH

moriond

cdh
05-06-2017, 03:32 PM
Update:

Thanks to all your great recommendations, I ended up with a medium yarn stuff sack (steel halcyon), a medium tri-star packing cube (mesh + NWS), a small (i.e. larger than mini) Q-kit, a 3DCOC (NWS), and a regular 3DOC (NWS), to go along with my S25 (grey/iberian). I also got several key straps. This is probably too much organization for a bag that already has so much built-in organization, but I like it.

I took a weekend trip recently and the setup worked well. A synthetic down jacket (size men's XL) went into the medium YSS, which went into the "mouth" pocket on the bottom front of the S25. In the medium tri-star packing cube went some shorts, a tee shirt, a wool hoodie, socks, and underwear, with room to spare. That went into the main compartment along with a laptop, Kindle, and flip-flops. I put USB chargers and small electronic stuff in the small Q-kit, which then went into one of the side front S25 pockets. The 3DCOC held my toiletries and was strapped into the deep middle front S25 pocket. The regular 3DOC held a mouse and laptop charger cord/brick. I put that into the regular compartment.