PDA

View Full Version : Accessorize S25 for EDC

gizzard
03-23-2017, 08:41 PM
I am transitioning from a DLBC to a Cordura S25 for EDC duties. The DLBC is great but there are times I need a little more space. Typically the DLBC contains:

a Thinkpad in a horizontal 6Z cache
0.25 to 1 of 8.5 x 11 paper, stapled or clipped
small Cordura OP with subway tokens and change
keystrap with car keys + office keys
pens, USB drives, ID badges (all strewn loosely in the front divided pocket)
a Thinkpad charger and a DisplayPort adapter.

Things I often cannot carry in the DLBC, unless I leave the laptop at home:

neoprene Built lunch tote with lunch
Sennheiser Urbanite headphones (this will actually fit in the rear pocket but its tight with the laptop)
water bottle (morning) or empty 20 oz. Contigo mug (evening)

I need help with accessories:

For those of you who carry loose papers in a backpack, how do you organize them? I was thinking to get a large DOP but Im not sure how to keep it vertical when the bag is partly empty Will it fit in the elasticized pocket in the main compartment?
Along the same lines, for now I will be using my horizontal 6Z cache in the S25. Any clever ways to keep this upright and towards the back of the S25? This thread (https://forums.tombihn.com/questions-about-bags/10988-smart-alec-macbook-pro-retina-13-15-ipad-pro-12-9-a.html) describes using a Gatekeeper strap to tether a few laptops in a Smart Alec. Anyone do something similar in an S25? (My employer might replace my laptop in 3 months but I am not sure which model it will be yet, so Im delaying getting a vertical cache until then).
My laptop charger is essentially this (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JFB5WB2). I want to corral this and a ~3 foot power cable inside either a size 1 TSS or a small Q-Kit any advice on which would work better? The structure of the Q-kit might provide some protection but the TSS would have more utility while traveling. Ideally this would fit in one of the side pockets, although clearly the bottom pocket would also work.

Thanks for any insights. I am far from efficient when it comes to bags so any advice is welcome.

catherder
04-03-2017, 04:41 PM
Here is how my S25 is organized. I carry my keys, wallet etc in a separate SK. Occasionally I'll put them in the S25, but I'm more likely to put the entire SK inside. I've tried several versions of organizing it and this is what works best for me:

- large compartment: laptop in vertical cache. Laptop charger and mouse in the elasticized inner pocket. I used to use a SCB Freudian slip for this inside that pocket (a MCB FS would probably fit even better), but now I just put it in there loose.
- two front side compartments: one holds a (non-TB) roll of pens, pencils, etc. The other has a mini q-kit strapped in, which holds earbuds and a flash drive. I've also put my wallet and keys in this area.
- middle front (small) compartment: business cards, short cord to charge my phone through my computer.
- middle front (water bottle) compartment: water bottle. Usually my ID is around my neck, but if I need to strap my ID in it goes here.
- Bottom front compartment: snacks

For loose papers I just use a plastic folder. I usually put my lunch in the main area on the top. The S25 is a great bag, but it does take a bit of getting used to.