PDA

View Full Version : Yoeman Organization Strategy

imahawki
03-28-2017, 08:27 AM
I tried to do a search and didn't find what I was looking for. Hopefully this isn't duplicative, but I've always found this group to be very helpful regardless.

I'm considering getting a Yeoman for general purposes including packing clothes and "stuff" for weekend trips, change of clothes for after work activities when I don't have time to stop home, etc. I've taken short trips just out of a backpack but this past weekend we went out of town for a three-day weekend and I packed my cheap Reebok gym bag. It was so much easier to get stuff in and out of and just worked better for a load out of 90% clothing. But, its a cheap crummy bag and it was a touch small. I need to measure it before I order a Yeoman because I want something that is maybe just a few inches larger overall. But here's the rub....

For all of its not-nice-ness, it does have one of those end pockets that you can slide shoes into and another end pocket and front pocket. The Yeoman is one big bucket of space. So I'm looking for what people use to accessorize storage for the Yeoman.

I already own an Aether Aeronaut 45 end cube that fits my shoes so that kind of takes care of the shoe end pocket. My spiff kit can be packed in the main area too. What I need a are a few pouches for earbuds, iPhone and Apple Watch charger, smallish power bank, etc. I'm thinking a Stuff Sack, a 3D Organizer Cube, or a Halcyon Organizer Pouch could all work. The latter of which I own in two sizes for my Synapse and can check fit myself as a test.

Note: I have a Snake Charmer for my Synapse but I wouldn't use that for this small cord storage, that's for my laptop power cord, and stuff I travel with for work.

Aeon
03-28-2017, 11:08 AM
Currently* I have the Mini and Large Yeoman duffels. My advice: Figure out which organizers work best for what you need to put in them, and then put those organizers in the Yeoman. It'll then become clearly apparent how best to organize those accessories within the bag.

I prefer organizers that are best suited for flat-packing, so packing cubes and organizer pouches are my BFFs. Before my Mini was delivered last week, I packed up everything I wanted to put in it into their respective cubes and organizers. Instead of trying to get organizers to perfectly fit and maximize the space within the Mini, the Mini simply had to comfortably hold the number and type of organizers that I would use the bag for.

* While I adore the Yeoman's design and simplicity, I'm realizing that duffels aren't the best type of bags for me. I vastly prefer backpacks over small to mid size duffels and the larger duffels must have wheels for me to comfortably transport. I'm 99% sure I'm returning the Mini and will sell my Large.

imahawki
03-28-2017, 11:50 AM
What doesn't work for you about duffel bags? What uses are / were you typically using them for. I don't want to run into the same problem.

See I would never travel with a duffel bag. I already have upper back and neck problems. Having a large bag with no wheels and no ability to distribute the load across both shoulders would be a disaster.

For my intended use, while I could stuff a pair shoes plus change of clothes into my Synapse 25 to bring to work, it would be a stretch, literally. It would be bursting at the seams. Especially on the way home when I replace a pair of sneakers with a pair of wing tips and gym shorts and a t-shirt with jeans a long sleeve button up. For long weekend trips, I don't think I could come close to fitting everything I typically take into my Synapse. I'm not one of these ultra-light travelers that takes 2 pairs of magic-material, ultra light, ultra thin underwear on a 3 month trip. I usually take an extra pair of jeans and extra socks, underwear and shirt just to go to my parents farm for the weekend.

moriond
03-28-2017, 01:55 PM
@imahawki,

It would help if you could describe what size of Yeoman Duffel and load you are thinking about before people can make suggestions on how to pack or organize. It would also help if you could describe what size/kind of shoes you are hoping to carry and how much else in the way of clothes. Are you planning to use this bag as a minimalist addition to your Synapse, since it is easier to carry most of your items in backpack?

It's also hard to figure out how to give suggestions for configuring the space, without knowing how much to budget for your shoes.As a starting point, take a read through the New sizes to the Yeoman SOOO cute (https://forums.tombihn.com/photos-videos-and-reviews/11739-new-sizes-yeoman-sooo-cute.html) thread, since I don't think you've read that.

Also, take a look at the last posts in the Will a small or medium Yeoman fit (rolled) into the Smart Alec Lower Modular Pouch? (https://forums.tombihn.com/accessories-organization-strategies/12076-will-small-medium-yeoman-fit-rolled-into-smart-alec-lower-modular-pouch.html) thread. I show that a flat-folded Small Yeoman Duffel can fit into the front bottom zippered pocket of a Synapse 25 (hard to see, but there's more room in that pocket -- and obviously a folded Mini YD would take up even less room). On top of that, the original poster described what she fit into that Small Yeoman Duffel, and what she packed things in.

There's a lot more discussion about using the Mini Yeoman Duffel as a gym bag, with descriptions of various size athletic shoes + clothes. If you're really looking for something minimalist to use for carrying shoes, that might work for you. For gym bag use, @Mausermama described/showed pictures on the Ravelry forums of packing size 10.5 Nikes in the Mini YD next to a Clear Quarter Packing cube, and then packing gym clothes and towel on top of this. @brendabethman described:

Pokilani is right -- I use the mini as a gym bag. I carry a pair of U.S. size 9 sneakers (in a size 4 TSS), a size 3 TSS with my workout outfit, a Night Flight Duffel packing cube with underwear and plastic bags (for carrying dirty clothes), a 3D Organizer Cube with headphones, swim cap, and goggles, a small TSS (size 1 or 2, I forget) with gloves, and hand and ankle braces, and a mini Q-Kit with my heart rate monitor. It all fits with room to spare.

Hope this helps to get you started. @Pokilani used Eagle Creek half packing cubes in her Mini YD. These can also work in the Small YD (better if you turn them on end). If find the Western Flyer Small Packing Cube also fits well in the small and mini YDs, but obviously if most of your space is taken up by shoes of unknown size, that might not be the case.

Also, in general, I'm not particularly a Duffel user. (I flat pack in Western Flyer and Tri-Star more than I stuff into open bags like the Aeronaut, and I've gone down to the A30 in preference to the A45; I prefer the compartments of the Synapse to the large compartment of the Smart Alec, and I tend to use packing cubes to fit in more items.). I think these are some of the factors @Aeon may be referring to.

moriond

Aeon
03-28-2017, 02:35 PM
What doesn't work for you about duffel bags? What uses are / were you typically using them for. I don't want to run into the same problem.

I want to use duffels as overnighters and weekenders as well as transporting large-ish but not particularly heavy items easily.

The Large Yeoman is not too heavy to lift when full, but if I have to walk with it more than a few feet it's a no-go. I keep wishing it has wheels or I can strap it onto a dolly. I've been using it primarily as storage for lesser-used items which is fine for now, but for other reasons I want to stop doing that. Too soon it will have no use. LOL.

The problem with the Mini was that no matter how I positioned it on my shoulder, it felt most comfortable riding on my front which impeded my pace when walking, or riding on my back and that would get in the way of a backpack I'd probably be wearing (daybag or Synapse 25) as well. At first I was all set to keep the Mini because it's a perfect size for what I want to use it for, until I realized I kept moving it to my front as I walked with it and I prefer not to carry it by the handles. This is a "me" quirk, not an issue with duffels in general.

Also, in general, I'm not particularly a Duffel user. (I flat pack in Western Flyer and Tri-Star more than I stuff into open bags like the Aeronaut, and I've gone down to the A30 in preference to the A45; I prefer the compartments of the Synapse to the large compartment of the Smart Alec, and I tend to use packing cubes to fit in more items.). I think these are some of the factors @Aeon may be referring to.

More specifically, I prefer using flat-packing organizers like cubes and pouches than stuff sacks or other non-rectilinear/squarish organizers. Stuff-sacks and even the Q-kits I don't like to use.

That's why I don't like the Synapse 25 for travel (for EDC it's amazing). The design of the front pockets and the shape of the bag doesn't lend itself to flat packing like Western Flyer and Tri-Star do, and I find I can better organize my belongings in a duffel (and I strongly suspect a Smart Alec) much more efficiently than my Synapse. I've given up on using my Synapse for travel.

I purchased the Mini to see if I could use it as a minimalist travel bag in conjunction with a daypack or Synapse 19. Here's my packing list in case this might help anyone. I wear women's size XXS/XS clothes and 7.5/38 shoes.

1x TB small snake charmer (used one side for 311 stuff, the other side for a charging cable and a UE Mini Boom portable speaker)
1x Eagle Creek specter toiletry kit (just filled it with random stuff to approximate the size of my dry kit I didn't want to put together. It wasn't bulging or overstuffed.)
1x Eagle Creek specter full size compression cube (1 pr ponte knit pants, 1 pr cotton shorts, 1 pr skinny jeans, 1 merino sweater, 1 long sleeve button down, 1 lightweight windbreaker, 2x cotton tees, 1x linen tee, 1x long sleeve merino tee)
1x Eagle Creek specter compression half cube (4x undies, 1x underwire bra, 1x sports bra, 1x bralette, 1x running shorts, 1x merino ankle socks, 1x merino crew socks)
1x Eagle creek specter quarter cube (1x 3/4 zip thermal running shirt, 1x ponte knit leggings; I was trying to fill the cube to approximate a stuffable down jacket)
1x size 7.5 leather t-strap sandals to approximate flip flops I don't have.

This would not have worked without the compression cubes. I tried the same loadout with my regular specter cubes and could barely zip the Mini closed.

ETA: My running shoes only fit on the long-side in the Mini, my much thinner fashion sneakers fit okay-ish on the short-side with minor curling at the toe, and my thin sandals fit easily on the short-side.

imahawki
03-28-2017, 05:32 PM
OK, lots of questions to answer.

1) I'm pretty keyed on on the Medium Yeoman. Its slightly larger than the cheap Reebok duffel I own now which is pretty much the size I'm looking form. I definitely don't want to go smaller!

2) Use cases are multiple so I'll go over each one in as much detail as possible.

2a) First what I won't use it for. I will not be using this for air travel. I won't be carrying it long distances, around town, or standing in line at an airport with a duffel bag. Too hard on the back.

2b) Use case #1 would be bag to take to work when I have an activity after and need to change in the work gym before going. A perfect example would be when my daughter has softball. I'm a parent coach and need to change from my work clothes into shorts / sweatpants, a t-shirt, and athletic shoes. I wear shoes similar to this (ASICS GEL-Tech Walker NeoŽ 4 Black/Black/Silver - Zappos.com Free Shipping BOTH Ways (http://www.zappos.com/p/asics-gel-tech-walker-neo-4-black-black-silver/product/8330682/color/3764)) so their moderately bulky. I wear a men's 9.5 - 10. I also take my lunch fairly frequently and would put my lunch bag (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01NBHY0WR/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) in the duffel if I'm carrying it that day. We don't practice every day. And then after I change, I like the idea of being able to fold my pants and work shirt and lay them flat in a duffel and not have the shirt be all wrinkled and smashed as it slides down inside backpack like currently happens if I try to make this work with my Synapse. I usually wear Ecco wingtips to work so those go in after work when the sneakers come out. In this case I would probably have my Synapse with me, which has my chargers and cables and EDC stuff so that wouldn't need to go in the Duffel.

2c) Use case #2 would be packing for a weekend. So two days of clothes, pajamas, workout clothes, spiff kit, plus an extra pair of shoes (either for working out or "dirty" shoes if I'm going to my parents farm. In this case, I probably won't be taking my Synapse, so I'd likely be throwing in my snake charmer, my Kindle, and a couple organizer pouches with things like headphones etc. It would be nice if I could pull off a bag in a bag setup here and throw in a small camera bag (I shoot m4/3 so my camera bags typically aren't huge). I might also like to throw in my cache with my MacBook air if it fits. I also sometimes take some random stuff on weekend trips to my parents. Overflow from my 3 kids packing efforts. Sometimes a bottle of wine in a neoprene carrier, etc. Point is, I don't want a Large, and I wouldn't want to consistently be using only 1/4 to 1/3 of the bag, but I think more often than not, I'll find something to take up that space.

2d) Wold be pretty similar to 2c but maybe a 3-5 day trip (still not air travel) so extra clothes. I only break it out because this is what is kind of pushing me to the Medium instead of the small. If I'm spending this kind of money on a duffel I don't want to go on a longer trip and find out my clothes won't fit. If I need the full space in the duffel for clothes and shoes, and toiletries, I would carry my camera bag separately.

So long story short, I think I've kind of figured out how I will pack the duffel, I'm just trying to make sure its the right bag for me and that the Medium is the right size.

Aeon
03-28-2017, 07:46 PM
I think you just convinced yourself the Medium is the way to go. :D If your current duffel works well enough in your scenarios, then so should the Medium given it is a bit larger. The Large Yeoman is ginormous and its size should really be called the Extra Large. Curiously though, both times I unboxed the Yeomans, they were much smaller than what I imagined. This is because they are packed flat and lack internal structure that give them any visual weight, so be warned if you order a Medium and have mini-freak out that it's too small. It's not; trust me.

It sounds like you have the organization figured out as well with existing organizers. Though two things come to mind:

- Do you plan on placing your shoes vertically within the Yeoman like you do within the A45 end pocket? If so, you may need to verify it works by emailing TB customer service or maybe someone reading can let you know. It should in theory, but as I don't have a Medium Yeoman or a cube that size, I can't test it out for you.
- I would probably add a packing cube or folder for your work clothes so they still don't get smashed and wrinkled unless you place them on top of everything else in the bag on coaching days.

imahawki
03-28-2017, 08:20 PM
I think you're right. I've probably convinced myself at this point. Luckily (?) the two colors I really like are out of stock so that will give me some time to make sure I don't go to impulse purchase.

Yes, looking at the line up it does appear to go mini, small, medium, XXL... Jumping from 17L, 28L, 44L then 71L is quite a jump. Could easily be a 55 or 60L in there.

I'll put the shoes in the bottom of the bag. That's basically how it works with "gym" duffel bags with integrated shoe compartments. You unzip one end and put the shoes in toes first and they just end up under everything else in the bag but in their own little compartment to keep things cleaner.

I have one of these (https://www.amazon.com/Eagle-Creek-Travel-Garment-Sleeve/dp/B00F9S84F6/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1490756489&sr=8-9&keywords=eagle+creek+garment+folder) which actually looks like it would fit in the bottom of a medium Yeoman. Otherwise I could find a smaller folder if absolutely necessary, but I think I could just throw my work shirt on top and be covered any way. Taking that folder to work in the bottom of the bag would be no big deal though and would save me from trying to hand fold a shirt on a bench in the locker room at work too.

imahawki
04-17-2017, 09:33 AM
Does the Yeoman come with NO shoulder strap? I see on the order page that the Absolute Strap is an add-on. Does that mean that it comes with no strap at all?

BWeaves
04-17-2017, 10:47 AM
I think the Yeoman does NOT come with a shoulder strap.

Have you looked at the Road Duffle? It's on the Dogs Page and the Totes Page. I like it better than the Aeronaut and the Yeoman. It's sort of between the two. It does have a bit of organization to keep the shoes away from the rest of the clothes. And it has sizes in between the Yeoman sizes.

moriond
04-17-2017, 05:25 PM
Does the Yeoman come with NO shoulder strap? I see on the order page that the Absolute Strap is an add-on. Does that mean that it comes with no strap at all?

That's correct: the Yeoman Duffel does not come with a separate shoulder strap. I think that most forum members are using this as an add-on to their regular travel bags, and just use the straps that they have for those bags.

@BWeaves, I think that one of the appeals of the Yeoman Duffel is the fact that the bag can easily be rolled up or brought along as an all-purpose extra carrying bag. You can fold it or roll it really compactly and bring it along, but you still get the durability of the Ballistic Nylon exterior. (See, for example, the Will a small or medium Yeoman fit (rolled) into the Smart Alec Lower Modular Pouch? (https://forums.tombihn.com/accessories-organization-strategies/12076-will-small-medium-yeoman-fit-rolled-into-smart-alec-lower-modular-pouch.html) thread) The trade-off is that the bag itself does not have the built-in structure and organization of other travel bags.

By the way, although it wasn't announced in today's post in the New Bags and Colors Ready To Order (https://forums.tombihn.com/general-bag-discussion/10022-new-bags-colors-ready-order.html) sticky thread, I note that they've restocked the Yeoman Duffel in Small (Aubergine, Steel, Burnt Orange, Black, and Navy) and Medium (Navy, Black, Coyote, Burnt Orange, Steel, Aubergine, and Verde).

@imahawk, by the way, I notice that Eagle Creek has a new Converge Garment Sleeve (http://shop.eaglecreek.com/packit-converge-garment-sleeve-/d/1595C4005) that has a more compact format (13.75 x 18 x 2 in | 35 x 46 x 5 cm) than their older garment sleeves. The old one that you have is 20.9 x 13 x 2 inches, and the problem is that at nearly 21" in length, it's really too long to use in most maximum carry-on bags. This is part of their new Converge collection, where they've also been branching into more bags. (The design philosophy of their new Converge Weekend carry-on bag looks as though it has adopted several of the features we've seen in TB bags -- especially with the ability to convert to backpack carrying mode). Looks as though this might work as a garment bag in other TB travel bags, like the Aeronaut 45.

moriond

BWeaves
04-18-2017, 05:36 AM
@BWeaves, I think that one of the appeals of the Yeoman Duffel is the fact that the bag can easily be rolled up or brought along as an all-purpose extra carrying bag. You can fold it or roll it really compactly and bring it along, but you still get the durability of the Ballistic Nylon exterior.

moriond

Agreed. But I find my medium Road Duffle rolls up fairly small because it has no backpack straps or foam backing, like the Aeronauts do. Granted, the D36 isn't going to fold up as small as a Yeoman, but it does compact fairly small. To me, it's the best of both worlds. The organization of the Aeronaut with the floppiness of the Yeoman, and that sweet spot size of 36 liters. And it comes with a shoulder strap.

Anyway, I was just throwing it out there as another option. Most people don't notice the Road Duffles because they are on the Dogs and Totes pages, instead of the Travel Bags pages, and the D36 is my all time favorite bag.

imahawki
04-18-2017, 06:42 AM
Ordered a Medium Navy today, two DLBP for schlepping crap around Disney World in 5 weeks (kids don't know we're going yet!), and some organizer pouches. I'll try to take a video as I don't see much on YouTube from Yeoman owners.

vkigus
05-24-2017, 10:51 AM
I'm chiming in late, but last month my husband and I and two of our sons spent a week and a half in Dublin. Among other bags, I took a medium Yeoman with an Absolute Strap. The Yeoman holds several PCSBs, but you do have to watch that it doesn't get too heavy. That was enough organization for that bag on that trip.