PDA

View Full Version : what packing cube configuration for the A30?

hillview
03-29-2017, 05:20 AM
What packing cube configuration do you find to be the best for the A30? Bonus if any of the cubes can be reused in the S19 or S25! I am specifically trying to decide how many cubes to get and if I should get 2 smalls and a large or 2 larges and if I need to get the end cubes. Also trying to determine if I want the Aether Packing Cubes or the Halcyon Packing Cubes. TIA

ceepee
03-29-2017, 06:25 AM
@hillview the A30 small cubes work well in the S19. I used 2 for my last trip to Boston. I guess 1 large would also work. I have the Aether, I find they slide in very easily if the outer pockets are also quite full. Since I take an empty one for dirty clothes, the choice of colours is good for colour coding too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1holegrouper
03-29-2017, 07:14 AM
Here is what I use. 1 side cube, 1 small cube, 1 laundry sack, 1 large cube. This leaves one side open for misc, the laundry cube takes the place of a small cube.

anna2222
03-29-2017, 02:02 PM
I have the AETHER SMALL A30 packing cubes and just love them, they are so versatile! I originally ordered 6 smalls for an A30 that I ordered, and ended up returning the A30 because it was too big for my needs, but kept 3 of the A30 SMALL packing cubes, one of each color, to use in my NFTD & SA. Two will fit in the main compartment of the S19, either vertically, or horizontally. And remember, these packing cubes are highly squishable (makes horizontal fit in the S19 possible), and I have had great luck getting them to fit into just about everything S19-sized and bigger.

I like them for the A30 more than the big packing cubes because I just figure if I have something THAT big, it will go in by itself, no need to have it in a cube. And also, you can separate your clothing into 6 different categories rather than 4 if you buy 4 smalls for the middle compartment and one for each end. Or if you don't want to buy 6, use 4 in the middle, and leave the ends open, one end for shoes and one end for dirty clothing, etc. I love how the SMALL Aether A30 cubes are designed, as they have the zippers at the top, and there is some depth to the cube. The end pocket cubes are not as deep and the zipper is in the middle, which makes it harder to pack, in my opinion.

I have a SA and 4 SMALL A30 cubes will fit in there fully packed with room to spare, and 3 fit in my NFTD main compartment, so the S25 would probably accommodate at LEAST 2.

Kaz
04-02-2017, 06:17 PM
The answer probably depends on whether you want to use your packing cubes for clothes only, or to contain other things as well.

I use them for clean clothes; everything else goes in various other stuff sacks, pouches, etc.

I use two packing cubes in my A30. A pre-TB cube with a volume roughly the same as a small TB A30 packing cube holds undergarments, socks, sleeping clothes, and, if applicable, swimsuit. A large aether A30 packing cube holds tops, bottoms, jumpers, scarves/shawls and sunhat/winter hat.

Quite possibly, everything could actually fit in the one large A30 packing cube, but I quite like corralling smaller garments in a smaller cube and things folded to a larger dimension in a larger one for organisation at my destination, especially if I'm living out of the bag.

I pack the main compartment of my A30 in two layers. The smaller packing cube plus a jigsaw arrangement of other things, including a Sea to Summit mesh-and-ultrasil laundry bag for dirty garments, go in first, and then the large A30 packing cube. I use the tie-down straps to keep everything snugly in place, because there's usually some room to spare in the main compartment. I really like the aether fabric for its light weight.

If some of my non-garment packed goods were loose i might want to contain them in either a small or end-pocket A30 packing cube, but it just happens that they're all already contained in some sort of stuff sack or pouch.

AlaskaGirl
04-03-2017, 06:14 PM
Greetings,
The thread I've linked below has several links to other discussions that might be helpful. However, if you read the entire thread, there is a photo on the second page with packing cubes in the bookcase configuration.

https://forums.tombihn.com/accessories-organization-strategies/11498-aeronaut-30-a.html

I've tried several different suggestions from the great ideas here. The bookcase configuration is my favorite. Occasionally I need to bring things that are odd sizes. By test packing when I get a new bag and a week or two before a trip, I can try a variety of configurations to see which one will work best for the items I will be carrying.

Good luck! elisa

agland
04-04-2017, 09:07 AM
I'm really leaning towards 4x end pocket cubes in the main compartment in the 'book case' style. The large cubes seem too big and the small cubes seem to small. Are the end pocket cubes suitable for say, 3 or 4 folded dress shirts?

BWeaves
04-04-2017, 10:19 AM
The small cubes are much bigger than the end pocket cubes.
I don't think I could fit even one dress shirt in either a small or end pocket cube, mostly because of the collar.
I could probably get 3 or 4 dress shirts in the large cube.

The small is 12"x 6" x 4"

The end pocket is 12" x 6.7" x 2.7"

For reference, the large is 12" x12" x 4"