PDA

View Full Version : How do you deal with car keys????

Meglet
04-16-2017, 01:20 PM
So, for the first time since TB I am in possession of a car and thus car keys. And yesterday I found that having to clip/unclip my car keys from a keystrap every time I got in and out of the car, plus wrangle* my iPhone, was cumbersome at best and quite potentially risky!!

Previously my habit has been to clip my house keys to a 16" keystrap in my backpack or SCB, and I can tuck them away during errands then just pull out the keystrap length to use them to unlock the door. Obviously I don't really want to (and can't really) tether my bag to the car ignition so I'm looking for some ideas here! (Note - the car keys are currently separated from the house keys, which remain on the 16" keystrap in the bag.)

*Due to the way the stereo works, my iPhone is usually plugged in via Lightning cable and the stereo doesn't shut off until I open the door, so the process is to remove the keys from ignition, open door, unplug iPhone, then step out of the car with keys and iPhone in hand. It's a challenge to put the keys away earlier because I need them in hand to lock the door, and I don't want to sit with the door open while putting my iPhone away, so at some point if I don't fix this I'm going to end up dropping the phone on pavement (or worse, in mud!) and having a catastrophe.

cazique
04-16-2017, 01:40 PM
Pretty simple for me -- My keyring (car key+fob, house keys, a couple of others) now lives on an 8" keystrap. That keystrap is usually attached to whatever bag I'm carrying (rotating between a Pilot, DLBC, and small Waterfield Cargo I bought secondhand and really like), and when I need to drive I detach the keystrap and just drive with the keys as usual with strap attached. It brushes my knee a bit sometimes, but apparently that bothers me less than taking off the strap :) I will sometimes keep the keys (with strap) in my jacket pocket rather than attached to the bag, but as winter turns into spring and then summer, I'll have a jacket less often and I expect the keystrap will be a boon to my pants pockets that used to hold the keys.

Note that I don't drive every day - my usual mode of transportation is the subway. If I were driving 2x/day, I might be less apt to default to the keystrap.

hillview
04-16-2017, 04:16 PM
Yes the 8 inch strap rocks

BWeaves
04-16-2017, 04:20 PM
I just unhook my keys from the keystrap each time I drive. It's really not a big deal for me. Although, I do get why it's annoying. I'd like it to be easier. Plus, I don't want to wear out the plastic snap hook.

I keep eyeing the Outlier Key Piece:

https://shop.outlier.nyc/shop/retail/key-piece.html

I just ordered it. I can report back later how it works.

P.S. I'm a woman, so I'll probably clip this inside my SK or whatever TB bag I'm carrying. I don't plan on wearing it on my pants belt loop, as I think that looks nerdy and jangly.

kieri
04-16-2017, 04:45 PM
I use a small metal carabiner that I'm 80% sure came with a cheap muti tool I got about 10 years ago. I tried to use a keystrap and it just didn't work for me.

brucep
04-16-2017, 04:55 PM
Car & house key -> key ring <- Python Clip (https://www.tecaccessories.com/collections/keychain-clips/products/python-clip)* <- P-7 Suspension Clip (https://www.tecaccessories.com/collections/keychain-clips/products/p-7-suspension-clip?variant=23023095495) -> pocket

* Actually, I have an older clip that was superseded by the Python Clip. (I use the same setup on my SAK (http://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Compact).)

Meglet
04-16-2017, 06:34 PM
Hmmm, a carabiner. That might work, I am almost always carrying my Small Cafe Bag in the car so I could easily carabiner the keys to the grab handle and let them drop into the back pocket. I think I have a tiny one floating around here, I'll have to experiment with that.

My other consideration is using a snaphook/o-ring keystrap, leave that attached to the SCB and then use the tiny metal snaphook on my keyring to attach/unattach the keys to the bag via the o-ring end of the keystrap, and again let them drop into the open back pocket.

Edit - Or, hmm, maybe something creative with a triangle hook. I really need to get my spare parts bin unpacked from the moving boxes!

capncat
04-16-2017, 06:57 PM
I use a small metal carabiner that I'm 80% sure came with a cheap muti tool I got about 10 years ago. I tried to use a keystrap and it just didn't work for me.
ditto. For mine, I use a plain split ring + a mini carabiner that I've had since around the time I started college (so....16 years?!?), and hook the carabiner to either an o-ring or onto an exterior pocket, depending on what bag I'm using, when not driving. I tried keystraps of various lengths for them and it was a little more tangly than i care to deal with.

flaneuse
04-16-2017, 07:13 PM
I have my keys clipped to a mini carabiner too. Then I clip the carabiner to the outside strap of my little swift or any other part of whatever bag I'm carrying. This system has worked for me for years :)

haraya
04-16-2017, 07:18 PM
I have multiple sets of keys right now (long story) that I need to access regularly. So I have an S-carabiner from Nite-Ize, and then each set of keys is on a separate split ring that is then attached to the S-carabiner. (And I have a long/16-inch keystrap attached to the S-carabiner at both ends, so I can carry it in my wrist when I'm juggling lots of things.)

If I needed to detach one set - or one key - frequently, I might put it on its own split ring, then put that on a double carabiner which can then be hooked and unhooked from the S-carabiner easily. Alternately, a locking carabiner might do the same trick.

jujigatame
04-16-2017, 07:27 PM
My car/house keys clip to key strap that is clipped to the bag of the day. Unclip them to drive, clip them in when I get to work. The car keys are on their own small clip that easily comes on and off the main split ring but I keep everything together unless it's necessary to separate something.

Re: the use of a traingle hook - while I find it to be a solid bit of hardware the notch where the wire gate rests tends to catch and snag your standard split rings when you go remove them. Same goes for a lot of carabiners in my experience. Easy to clip on but it can be annoying to get off, particularly if you want to do it one-handed.

Gumby
04-16-2017, 07:34 PM
Hmmm, a carabiner. That might work, I am almost always carrying my Small Cafe Bag in the car so I could easily carabiner the keys to the grab handle and let them drop into the back pocket. I think I have a tiny one floating around here, I'll have to experiment with that.

I rotate between a Small Cafe Bag, Medium Cafe Bag, and CoPilot -- and that's exactly how I carry my car key. I keep a carabiner clipped to the grab handle of each bag, but it would be easy to move it from bag to bag if need be. House and office keys stay attached to a key strap inside whichever bag I'm carrying at the moment.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Aeon
04-16-2017, 08:27 PM
Google tells me I use a type of jewelry losbster clasp (https://www.amazon.com/Swivel-Lanyard-Lobster-Jewelry-Findings/dp/B016R0HSKG/ref=pd_sbs_468_6?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B016R0HSKG&pd_rd_r=9RVASVCB17GS18NPRM6Z&pd_rd_w=lKCrD&pd_rd_wg=ZMw5w&psc=1&refRID=9RVASVCB17GS18NPRM6Z) -- it's basically a mini carabiner with a 360 degree swiveling base that I have threaded a large split key through. Attached to that split key ring are separate key rings I use for my car and house keys. I like to keep the keys on separate rings in case I have to quickly detach one. I attach the carabiner/clasp directly to an o-ring in a TB bag for quick access. The only keys I attach to a key strap are ones that I may use occasionally (like the keys to my sister's house) that I don't have to go searching for when I need them.

terayon
04-16-2017, 09:00 PM
My other consideration is using a snaphook/o-ring keystrap, leave that attached to the SCB and then use the tiny metal snaphook on my keyring to attach/unattach the keys to the bag via the o-ring end of the keystrap, and again let them drop into the open back pocket.

This is more or less what I do. I use a double carabiner (I find that easier to manipulate than the plastic snaphook, especially in the winter) that stays on my key ring. When I take my keys out of the ignition, I clip the carabiner to the o-ring end of a snaphook/o-ring keystrap (8" in my Cafe Bags, 16" in my Synapse and Ego), leaving them out but tethered until I lock the car. No dropping them in the mud.

ETA: Here's what it looks like with my S19.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170417/1cee081f88a86580e711d4fd9f13612c.jpg

Meglet
04-16-2017, 09:44 PM
Ah, the jewelry lobster clasp is what's on my keychain now. Some more digging around on Amazon and the Internet, and I think I'm going to make a short paracord keychain that is a keyring on one end and a mini carabiner on the other end. That will be easier to leave on the keys than a keystrap, but also super easy to hook to an o-ring keystrap.

And since I'm pretty sure I already used my one and only o-ring keystrap, that means an excuse for anoher TB order, or even better a trip to the store!! :D

Pangifone
04-16-2017, 11:35 PM
I probably have overcomplicated my key situation, but it works for me.

I have a mini Q-Kit with a D-ring I stitched inside. I have my house keys on one keyring, my work keys on another, and my car key on a third, with each keyring attached to the D-ring. I have the Q-Kit connected to an 8-inch strap.

When on the move with a bag, I either have the strap connected to an inside o-ring (long-term, like on a bus or bike ride) or looped around the bag's strap (short term, like grocery shopping.) When on the move without the bag, the whole thing goes in a pocket.

The reason for the Q-Kit is that I have to have my keys in my pocket all day at work, and my keys tore a hole in the pocket of my favorite sweater. The Q-Kit around them is preventing that from happening in its replacement. :)

When in use, I have just the key needed pulled out and the Q-Kit zipped up around the rest which reduces jingling and knee-tickling while driving.

The key thing (no pun intended...) that I think may be helpful to your specific situation is that when driving, I have the 8-inch strap clipped back on itself, which means when jumping out of the car with my hands full, I can just loop one finger through it and have my keys held securely.

KmK
04-17-2017, 03:58 AM
Perhaps I missed an original concern--is it a fear of losing your keys? I don't like my keys jangling bare in my bag because they catch on things so I have a mini op clipped to a hook-o key strap. I love it because I can flip it out and unzip it one handed by tugging on the zip tab and use the resistance of it being attached to anchor it while I tug.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kathryn
04-17-2017, 06:22 AM
I have 4 separate split rings, one each for: apartment keys, car key, store loyalty cards, and my parents' house keys. Since I never have to use the keys to my parents' house (I only have them in case of emergency--or as I like to threaten them, if I ever want to drive 7 hours to throw a wild party while they're gone LOL), I have those clipped to the keystrap all the time. I have a carabiner on that split ring, and clip the other three on the carabiner. This makes it easy to unclip my car key, or any other split ring,when I need to.

fae925
04-17-2017, 06:24 AM
I have the longer key strap that I have my keys, wallet pouch and cell phone all attached to (especially when I just have a quick run into a store). My cell has this thing. https://www.amazon.com/Universal-Bunker-Holder-Iphone-Galaxy/dp/B009T11WYO so I can clip it in. One of my vehicles is push button, so I don't worry with my keys there. The other, I keep on a clip and just unclip that when needed.

sujo
04-17-2017, 06:43 AM
I use a simple, two-piece key ring, like this (https://www.amazon.com/Lucky-Line-70701-SE-Pull-Apart/dp/B000CDIHT6). When I drive, I pop off the car key. When I don't need it, I attach it back. My house keys remain hooked to the keys strap.

Canonsue
04-17-2017, 06:46 AM
I also use a carabiner and clip it to my upper handle of my Synapse 19.

Meglet
04-17-2017, 08:50 AM
Perhaps I missed an original concern--is it a fear of losing your keys? I don't like my keys jangling bare in my bag because they catch on things so I have a mini op clipped to a hook-o key strap. I love it because I can flip it out and unzip it one handed by tugging on the zip tab and use the resistance of it being attached to anchor it while I tug.

The concern is a combination of fear of dropping my iPhone while getting out of the car and trying to arrange keys/lock car/stow phone as I step away, plus not wanting to lose the keys if I don't have a good place to stow/attach them in my bag while I'm doing errands.

capncat
04-17-2017, 09:27 AM
my keychain rig is definitely motivated by fear of losing keys. modern electronic car keys w/ immobilizers are expensive as all hell to replace (i think mine supposedly would be in the $300-400 range to replace & reprogram a single ignition key :S) and i have friends who had their home broken into -- while they were there, asleep! -- after losing their apartment keys, but before the super could replace the lock.

DeBru
04-17-2017, 01:01 PM
A small carabiner has always worked well for me. I usually try to keep it clipped to something secured in my EDC, but in all honesty I have been known to clip it to my belt loop in a pinch. Yes I look like a dork, but I always figured better that than losing my keys again.

Meglet
04-17-2017, 01:54 PM
A small carabiner has always worked well for me. I usually try to keep it clipped to something secured in my EDC, but in all honesty I have been known to clip it to my belt loop in a pinch. Yes I look like a dork, but I always figured better that than losing my keys again.

LOL, yep! If my cute/fancy/color-coded paracord keychains with mini carabiner don't work out, a plain small carabiner is definitely my back-up option. Especially as I can clip it so easily to the grab handle on my Small Cafe Bag, which is my primary "traveling in the car" bag.

moriond
04-17-2017, 02:27 PM
LOL, yep! If my cute/fancy/color-coded paracord keychains with mini carabiner don't work out, a plain small carabiner is definitely my back-up option. Especially as I can clip it so easily to the grab handle on my Small Cafe Bag, which is my primary "traveling in the car" bag.

@Meglet,

If you don't want the position of your carabiner attachment to the Small Cafe Bag webbing strap to shift, you can use one of the OneTigris clips (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00WSP4V14/) that @ceepee mentioned in a reply post (#224) (https://forums.tombihn.com/general-bag-discussion/11774-2017-wish-list-15.html#post140583) in the 2017 Wish List thread:

The usage case was for attaching an "O-ring" to the Synapse webbing, but these devices can also be rotated 90 degrees, or 45 degrees and click into a fixed position, if you want to attach to the webbing of your Cafe Bag, and not have the ring slide along the webbing, as a Carabiner would. Then just clip any keystrap onto the ring. Sorry I don't have a picture handy, but I tried this with a Cafe Bag.

Personally, I use a Mini Q-Kit to hold keys (and a small flashlight).

HTH

moriond

PaulT00
04-17-2017, 03:58 PM
The old car (SEAT Altea XL) had a standard remote fob with integrated flip-out key blade, and the fob was connected to my house keys via a smallish S-biner. If required the whole lot would clip onto a key strap clipped in turn to a belt loop.

The new car (SEAT Ateca) has keyless entry and go (engine start/stop is via a button, as long as an authorised key transponder is inside the car) so my car key lives permanently in a trouser pocket - usually the left cargo pocket. It's still a normal-looking key fob with an integrated key blade, but the remote fob isn't strictly necessary any longer and the physical key is only required for emergency access... :eek:

I'm still reaching for the right hand side of the steering column by reflex, to try to remove the no-longer-present ignition key from the nonexistent ignition lock when I park up in the new car... :confused:

Meglet
04-17-2017, 04:03 PM
Oh, I do so miss keyless entry with push button start! That would have made this whole issue no longer valid. :D

@moriond, those clips look super useful, even if I don't need them for this I'm sure I need them for something. ;)

PaulT00
04-17-2017, 04:08 PM
Oh, I do so miss keyless entry with push button start! That would have made this whole issue no longer valid. :D

I'm pretty surprised that your new car hasn't got it! It seems to be one of those things which is rapidly migrating from its (recent) origins in luxury cars down into the mass market, to the point where it almost seems everything except entry level machinery has it - as an option, even if not standard fit... of course go back far enough and push button start was a big improvement on hand cranking shortly after the dawn of the automobile!

Meglet
04-17-2017, 04:19 PM
I'm pretty surprised that your new car hasn't got it! It seems to be one of those things which is rapidly migrating from its (recent) origins in luxury cars down into the mass market, to the point where it almost seems everything except entry level machinery has it - as an option, even if not standard fit... of course go back far enough and push button start was a big improvement on hand cranking shortly after the dawn of the automobile!

It was on the next model up as an option, but it a) was more costly than it is worth and b) required adding some additional (more expensive) features that I didn't want. I do have the keyless entry, where a remote unlocks/locks the car, but it's the key-free lock (touching the handle to lock/unlock) and the push-button start that I really miss.

jawnsayrau
04-17-2017, 11:16 PM
I use a Keybak retractable reel with the two piece key ring that @Sujo alluded to. That way I can remove my car key and use it. Also useful if you need to hand over the car for valet parking. goo.gl/CXQz4w

Dulcimergal
04-19-2017, 03:00 PM
For many years I have been using a carabiner for all of my keys. I do have house keys on one small ring, car key and fob on another, and my work key on another, but they are all attached to a slightly larger ring with the carabiner clip. Then a year or two ago, I decided to make a paracord band, with a lobster clip on one end and a small key ring on the other end. I add my keys to the ring, and when I am not using my keys, I slip the strap through my purse or bag strap and clip the ends together. The paracord is multiple colors and is very bright and cheerful.
Now that I have a Sidekick to use as an everyday bag, I clip all of my keys except my car key to a key strap in the side pocket, and my car key goes in my jeans pocket or I just use a mini carabiner to clip it to the rest of my keys.
Oh, the paracord could come in handy one day if an emergency comes up.

BWeaves
04-20-2017, 02:45 PM
I just unhook my keys from the keystrap each time I drive. It's really not a big deal for me. Although, I do get why it's annoying. I'd like it to be easier. Plus, I don't want to wear out the plastic snap hook.

I keep eyeing the Outlier Key Piece:

https://shop.outlier.nyc/shop/retail/key-piece.html

I just ordered it. I can report back later how it works.

P.S. I'm a woman, so I'll probably clip this inside my SK or whatever TB bag I'm carrying. I don't plan on wearing it on my pants belt loop, as I think that looks nerdy and jangly.

UPDATE: I just got my Outlier Key Piece and I really like it. It's like a TB keystrap but with magnets. Nice secure, easy to use snap hook, and the magnet that attaches the keys to the hook is nice an firm but easy to attach and unattach at will. The magnet attaches front or back, so there's no way to attach it wrong. Plus, being a magnet, it tries to attach itself when you get it close to the snap hook.

My only concern is keeping my work security ID cards and credit cards away from the magnet when it's in my SK so it doesn't screw up the magnetic strips.

Years ago, I had a lovely leather messenger bag, and the flap closed with a couple of magnets at the bottom. When I went on a trip, I would throw my watch and jewelry into the front compartment in case I had to grab the bag and leave in a hurry. Every morning, my watch had the wrong time. It took me forever to realize the magnets were screwing up the watch mechanism. I use a TT now instead. Much better.

Kaz
04-20-2017, 07:37 PM
On the carabiner theme, I use a TB double carabiner for my car key (with remote integrated), gate remote & post office box key. One half of the carabiner holds those three items on a split ring, and the other half hooks onto an o-ring in my daily-carry Cafe Bag. I find it very easy to hook and unhook frequently during my suburban driving days. Previously I used a regular metal carabiner for this, but I find the the TB double one works a bit better: its shape fits well in my hand, and having the top half dedicated to the o-ring connection seems to simplify things.

In addition, I keep my key (and remote) to my husband's car on a 6" key strap; as I don't use these daily, I don't find the fussier hooking and unhooking too cumbersome. And I keep my house keys on a separate 6" key strap, which is long enough to allow use without unhooking. The latter gives me great pleasure every time I use them, because it is such a treat to have them so conveniently available. (Members of my family must be a bit tired of hearing me rave about this system whenever one of their keys goes into hiding!)

Meglet
04-20-2017, 08:38 PM
I think I have a good solution devised, but I'm waiting for some mini S-biners to arrive this weekend. Then, the final solution is a mini-snaphook on one end of a custom paracord keychain, and the other end will be a mini S-biner. This way I can make keychains in various colors to match my bags, then just snap the car key to the mini-snaphook, and the S-biner to an 8-inch o-ring keystrap.

The other half of this solution is the realization that I can attach the keys to the keystrap on my bag before I open the door and get put of the car. That means one less thing to juggle as I get out holding my iPhone and putting my bag on. The key can just dangle from the strap for a few steps while I put my phone away safely, then they are in easy reach to grab and lock the car. It was a definite lightbulb moment. :rolleyes:

jujigatame
04-20-2017, 08:56 PM
What sort of lanyard do you envision with the paracord?

Meglet
04-20-2017, 09:35 PM
I'm planning on something like the one from this (http://paravival.com/paracord-tutorials/paracord-gear/keychains/) site, only 3-4 inches long. I have a "free gift with purchase" one that is longer which I used as a trial yesterday, so it was a good chance to test my plan. A slightly shorter paracord chain should be the perfect length to not hit my knee in the car, and be just within reach or able to drop into a pocket on my bag when attached to an 8 inch keystrap.

jujigatame
04-20-2017, 09:57 PM
Cobra weave is good since it's easy to have solid closed loops at both ends and it's flexible while remaining strong. I wonder why they double the inside strands though, unless it's to maximize the amount of cord should you need to untie it for another purpose.

LilAve
04-21-2017, 05:46 AM
I've been using a Keybar for several months now which I can either pocket carry via a clip, or my preferred method, attached to a key strap and in the front zippered pocket of my SCB.

Best thing about this is no more jangly keys!

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170421/4416c23f9c52ea76744e590b485761f8.jpg

Artdime
04-21-2017, 09:58 AM
I've been using a Keybar for several months now

Are you happy with it? How easy is it to flip keys out? I was floored when I saw that this gizmo goes for almost $50...

LilAve
04-21-2017, 10:12 AM
Are you happy with it? How easy is it to flip keys out? I was floored when I saw that this gizmo goes for almost $50...

I'm really happy with it. I was going to get a similar product on Amazon for half the price, but the negative reviews swayed me toward the Keybar.

American made is what sealed the deal for me. I've dropped it, lost it, put it in my pocket with other items and it's still as good as it was on day one. Right now I have 6 keys in it, but it can expand to hold more. I did have a oddly shaped key that didn't fit, but a quick hardware store trip to have a copy made fixed that.