Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 15,301   Posts: 197,936   Members: 7,255   Active Members: 181
Welcome to our newest member, Zmanlane1.

Portable lumbar support suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NWhikergal
    Forum Member
    • Mar 2014

Portable lumbar support suggestions?

Hello, I am posting in the hope of getting suggestions for a portable solution for additional back support/seat cushioning. I am scheduled to be at an upcoming conference for several days, and from what I recall the last time I was at this site for a conference, they had the world's hardest chairs. While I know Therm-a-rest makes an inflatable lumbar support, I was not terribly sold on it when I tried it out, and that only addresses part of the hard chair torture equation. If anyone has found an effective solution, I am open to considering it, no matter how funny it might look, but since I will be flying, more compact would be appreciated.

If there is a way to avoid being one of the other tormented souls standing at the back of the room for parts of the conference, I would like to find a better solution.

Thank you for any/all suggestions!
    "Do one thing every day that scares you." - Eleanor Roosevelt
    "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." -Ferris Bueller
  • moriond
    Volunteer Moderator
    • Jul 2004

Originally posted by NWhikergal View Post
    Hello, I am posting in the hope of getting suggestions for a portable solution for additional back support/seat cushioning. I am scheduled to be at an upcoming conference for several days, and from what I recall the last time I was at this site for a conference, they had the world's hardest chairs. While I know Therm-a-rest makes an inflatable lumbar support, I was not terribly sold on it when I tried it out, and that only addresses part of the hard chair torture equation. If anyone has found an effective solution, I am open to considering it, no matter how funny it might look, but since I will be flying, more compact would be appreciated.

If there is a way to avoid being one of the other tormented souls standing at the back of the room for parts of the conference, I would like to find a better solution.

Thank you for any/all suggestions!
    @NWHikergal,

You might try this Tempurpedic travel pillow/lumbar support: https://www.tempurpedic.com/other-pr.../#pdp-features

I think you may have to order it from them directly online now, but many years ago Brookstone stocked it in their stores, and I tried it out there. I didn't get it, because I don't travel enough to warrant taking something like that along, but it can roll up really small, and is reasonably comfortable for use as a lumbar support when the thickest part is positioned to support your back. (This is one of three usage positions, and the one that I would probably have used it for if I flew a lot -- the others are different ways for neck support).

Take a look at the Business overnight with a Pilot thread:

HTH

moriond

Comment

• Amy
      Forum Member
      • May 2014

This is not lumbar support specifically, but I use this Tush Cush http://www.musicmotion.com/Practice-Aids/tush-cush.asp at work and have given several as gifts. It is intended for musicians who sit for long periods on hard chairs. It has a hole at the back where the base of your spine kind of suspends, putting the weight of sitting only on your pelvic bones and not your spine. It feels nice, like the pressure is being removed. It is not the most portable thing (it doesn't compress down) but it would probably fit in a backpack. It is great for plane and car rides too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Don’t make something unless it is both necessary and useful; but if it is both necessary and useful, don’t hesitate to make it beautiful. — Shaker Philosophy

Comment

• moriond
        Volunteer Moderator
        • Jul 2004

@Amy's suggestion prompted me to look around for other similar offerings. This Aylio Coccyx Seat Cushion looks promising, according to the reviews. Please note that I took the request for lumbar support (and packability) as the main criteria for my posted suggestion. One of the reviews specifically addresses the difference between using this pillow for seating and/or a separate pillow for lumbar support. I originally (quite some time ago) was testing out some of the Tempurpedic pillows because I ended up buying a larger (non-travel) size for my mother, who wanted some additional lumbar support for one of her chairs.

Also, I'm about @NWHikergal's height (just under 5'4"), so the position of the cushion that I tried out should probably also be comfortable for her, other things being equal.

HTH

moriond

Comment

• NWhikergal
          Forum Member
          • Mar 2014

Thank you, @moriond and @Amy for the great suggestions! Perhaps one of those seat cushions is the way to go. Now I just need to figure out which bag I will transport one of them in to my meetings. If I am able to make all my dress and casual clothes fit right, I may take the main section of the HsJ with a larger secondary meetings bag (other than the top HsJ section).
          "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." -Ferris Bueller

Comment

• Pangifone
            Forum Member
            • Jun 2013

I use this seat cushion when traveling: https://www.amazon.com/Comfortable-c.../dp/B00XAUFYQ2
            My goals with it are to alleviate tailbone pain and to mitigate blood clot risks. I've been pretty happy with it. The one thing to note about it is that you may need to adjust its position on the chair a few times before finding the sweet spot.
            Does it come in purple?

Comment

• NWhikergal
              Forum Member
              • Mar 2014

I finally settled on a Wondergel Roll n Go seat cushion, and can't wait to try it out on my trip this week. https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/sto...word=wondergel It comes with a black cover, and it fits great in the main compartment of the HsJ either flat or rolled. Thanks all for the suggestions!

Comment

• imperator
                Forum Member
                • Jan 2014

I just fill my Vapur inflatable water bottle with air and use that. Not gutsy enough to try it while still full of water though...

Comment

Working...
                X