PDA

View Full Version : Deciding on accessories for my synapse 19

cucumber.sandwich
04-26-2017, 08:34 PM
I am starting to think about which accessories I should get for my synapse 19 (Black/northwest sky). I will be travelling to Asia in the fall and want to make sure everything is properly organized so that I know where everything is at all times. I already have a packing cube for all of my clothes, which will go in the main compartment of the bag. In addition to the shoes I will be wearing, I will also be taking a pair of minimalist sandals, which I will put in the bottom pocket. Everything else will be separated into organizer bags/pouches. I am curious how people organize their synapse 19 for travelling with it as your only bag. I am also curious if anyone happens to have pictures of the olive coloured accessories next to a black/northwest sky bag so I can see how the colours look together?

These are the bags I am pondering on:
1. The side effect bag (black/northwest sky) for my electronics, to be kept in the main compartment of my bag.
2. A clear 3D organizer cube bag as my 311 bag for liquids, to be kept in a side pocket of my bag
3. A passport pouch vs. small organizer pouch for my passport, attached to a key strap in the main compartment of my bag
4. 3D organizer cube bag as my sleep bag to keep my eye mask, and the wash cloth I keep over my face while I sleep, to be kept in a side pocket of my bag
5. mini organizer pouch for money and credit/debit cards, attached to a key strap and kept in the main compartment of my bag
6. A cache/rail system for an iPad pro 9.7". Does anyone have this? I'm curious if it would still fit the iPad if I had an otterbox defender case on it. The main reason for the cache would be so that the TSA agents don't steal my iPad.

I also have a sea to summit small toiletry bag for my medical supplies, vitamins, and other self care items, which I will keep in the main compartment of my bag.

Thoughts?

Xena
04-27-2017, 07:11 AM
I am in the same boat as you are!

Curious, which packing cube are you using for your trip? I am taking a trip to Boston in the next month and need to figure out a cube soon.

cucumber.sandwich
04-27-2017, 09:25 AM
I have packing cubes from mountain equipment co-op, so I'll be taking the large one, which holds all the clothing I will need for my three weeks in Asia, plus it has extra room in case I decide to buy something there, which I likely will. It also leaves enough room in the main compartment of the synapse 19 for additional organizer cubes and pouches.

cucumber.sandwich
04-27-2017, 09:39 AM
I just measured my packing cube and it is 13"x10"x4.25", in case that helps you to decide on a packing cube that will work with the synapse 19. Mine is made of a very thin nylon that only holds it's shape from the clothes that are kept in it, so it squishes into the space quite nicely, leaving space on top for additional things. Mine is similar to the ones currently being sold at MEC. https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5034-458/Travel-Light-Packing-Cube

Badger
04-27-2017, 10:15 AM
These are the bags I am pondering on:
1. The side effect bag (black/northwest sky) for my electronics, to be kept in the main compartment of my bag.
2. A clear 3D organizer cube bag as my 311 bag for liquids, to be kept in a side pocket of my bag
3. A passport pouch vs. small organizer pouch for my passport, attached to a key strap in the main compartment of my bag
4. 3D organizer cube bag as my sleep bag to keep my eye mask, and the wash cloth I keep over my face while I sleep, to be kept in a side pocket of my bag
5. mini organizer pouch for money and credit/debit cards, attached to a key strap and kept in the main compartment of my bag
6. A cache/rail system for an iPad pro 9.7". Does anyone have this? I'm curious if it would still fit the iPad if I had an otterbox defender case on it. The main reason for the cache would be so that the TSA agents don't steal my iPad.

Thoughts?

My bag is Black Halcyon/NWS but it's still black, and Olive looks pretty good with it; Burnt Orange, Cocoa, and French Blue are other non-obvious pairings that look nice with this color combination, provided of course that you like them.

It's a bit hard to make precise recommendations without knowing what you're taking but:
1. I often use the SE for cables, chargers, etc. I highly recommend the Halcyon version since it's lighter and more flexible. If all you have is an iPad charger and a few cables, a Size 1 Travel Stuff Sack or the 3D Organizer Cube is probably plenty; once again, Halcyon is a good choice for the cube.
2. This is a good choice for liquids.
3. I keep my passport in a Small OP but depending on your needs it might be good to have something you can wear around your neck.
4. A Size 1 Travel Stuff Sack will hold those items and take up way less room.
5. This would work but if it's very full of cards/bills, it could be a pain to remove and put them back. If you've got a lot, the Clear Organizer Wallet might be a better choice since you can separate cards from cash and organize things a bit more.
6. No iPad but I do use a Cache. Generally they fit fairly snugly and a case may stick inside, but perhaps someone can tell you more definitively. I wouldn't depend on the Cache as a foolproof deterrent, but it would likely reduce snatch-and-grabs in the security line, I suppose.

Xena, depending on how much and what types of clothing you're taking, any of these would work: Small/End Aeronaut cube (either size); Large Aeronaut 30 cube; Small/Medium Tri-Star cube; Pilot large cube; Packing Cube Shoulder Bag. Non-TB cubes to look include those from the Eagle Creek Specter lineóboth the Medium size cube and Small size packing folder will fit.

cucumber.sandwich
04-27-2017, 12:01 PM
The clear organizer wallet sounds like a neat idea. The French blue looks really nice, actually. I will have to consider that for the 311 bag and the organizer pouches. For the passport pouch, i wouldn't be keeping it around my neck. It is just that I am concerned about those scanning devices that steal data. I would clip the passport pouch to a key strap and just keep it in the main compartment of the synapse while I travel. Unfortunately, I don't like any of the available colours for the passport pouch. I am wondering if a small organizer pouch would be more appropriate, but again, there is the paranoia to deal with about people scanning my passport (and credit cards, I suppose). You mention the travel stuff sac would be a better option for my sleep bag. Is there a way to clip this bag to a key strap?

For the side effect, I would want the black cordura because it would also double as a small purse to use when I am not travelling, and I prefer the aesthetics of the plain black. It seems to be the perfect bag for dog walking, because it could hold my phone, house keys, and dog poo bags. For travelling, I would want to keep in it the following:
1. A JBL clip 2 portable Bluetooth speaker
2. An iPhone charging cable with cube
3. The JBL charger (very small) with an additional cube
4. iPad charger
5. Electrical adapter
6. Possible converter if the jbl speaker isn't dual voltage

I wonder if all of these items would fit in the cordura side effect.

I am also curious what precautions everyone takes to avoid TSA theft?

Kelly S
04-27-2017, 12:58 PM
For the passport pouch, i wouldn't be keeping it around my neck. It is just that I am concerned about those scanning devices that steal data.
I am also curious what precautions everyone takes to avoid TSA theft?

I avoid TSA theft by taking as little of value as I can. Making sure that it's well buried within a bag (not easy to grab) and then quickly checking that I have everything before I leave the security area.

If you're really worried about your passport or cards being scanned without your knowledge, there are a lot of other options for RFID protection some that are lightweight enough you can keep them on your cards all the time.

pvn
04-27-2017, 01:47 PM
I don't understand the concern about TSA theft? You're not checking this bag, right? Are you worried about TSA agents stealing your stuff at the security checkpoint? I have never heard any reports of that happening, the whole checkpoint is under constant video surveillance, anyone who tried stealing your stuff would be super easy to identify.

cucumber.sandwich
04-27-2017, 02:35 PM
Kelly - Do you take an IPad or laptop for entertainment? I never have, but this will be a long travel day for me, so I am buying an iPad specifically for this trip. I wonder if they always ask people to remove the iPad from the bag.

Pvn - Unfortunately, many people have valuables stolen by TSA agents and airport staff. It is likely that most items are stolen from checked luggage, but it would also be possible for them to steal from carry on luggage as well, especially if they are working on it with their colleagues or if they are stealing from someone that is travelling alone. When I travel alone, my luggage often goes through the x-ray machine before I am allowed to walk through the metal detector, and if they want to be more thorough, then I am separated from my luggage briefly. It only takes a few seconds for them to take something. Also, one can imagine that some of the people that are drawn to a job with that much power may have less than good intentions (not all, but some). After reading a lot about people having valuables stolen, I want to do everything I can to protect my own valuables, and since for this trip it will be a long travel day, I really want to bring an iPad for entertainment..

Xena
04-27-2017, 02:46 PM
I just measured my packing cube and it is 13"x10"x4.25", in case that helps you to decide on a packing cube that will work with the synapse 19. Mine is made of a very thin nylon that only holds it's shape from the clothes that are kept in it, so it squishes into the space quite nicely, leaving space on top for additional things. Mine is similar to the ones currently being sold at MEC. https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5034-458/Travel-Light-Packing-Cube

Fantastic, thank you so much! I have been researching like crazy and this is the first I hear of this cube.

cucumber.sandwich
04-27-2017, 02:52 PM
Xena - Do you live in Canada or the US? Mountain Equipment Co-op is a Canadian company, but REI or another company might have something similar. Just make sure you get something with thin nylon fabric with similar dimensions. Tom Bihn doesn't have any packing cubes with these exact dimensions, but you might find that you don't need something quite as large as mine if you aren't travelling for as long as I am.

bchaplin
04-27-2017, 03:50 PM
@cucumber.sandwich, I agree with you about the risk of TSA theft. However, as you say, it is less common for carry-on luggage because it seems a lot riskier for the potential thief than going through checked bags would be. I just zip up my belongings, making sure anything of value is inside of a secondary container so that it is not quick to grab. And when I retrieve my bag I do a quick scan to be sure all my important items are there. If you watch people, an astonishing number of them will set their iPads, wallets or even cash right on top of the bin of stuff, without bothering to even put it away. I think they are the low-hanging fruit more at risk for theft.

cucumber.sandwich
04-27-2017, 04:06 PM
Good point, bchaplin. It's like that old saying "you don't have to be faster than the bear. You just have to be faster than the other people running from the bear". If stealing from you is inconvenient, the TSA will choose an easier target.. :)

pvn
04-27-2017, 04:34 PM
I've never really worried about TSA agents grabbing stuff at checkpoints. I am sure it's happened, but like I said it's one of the most densely-videoed areas of an airport and I would guess 99% of agents who try stuff get busted immediately. I would wager that you're more likely to have stuff swiped at virtually any other point on your trip.

Traveltech
04-27-2017, 06:46 PM
I am so impressed that you can fit three weeks worth of clothes in that packing cube! I try for minimalist packing but could never do that. What are you bringing?

Xena
04-28-2017, 07:04 AM
Xena - Do you live in Canada or the US? Mountain Equipment Co-op is a Canadian company, but REI or another company might have something similar. Just make sure you get something with thin nylon fabric with similar dimensions. Tom Bihn doesn't have any packing cubes with these exact dimensions, but you might find that you don't need something quite as large as mine if you aren't travelling for as long as I am.

I am in the USA. I am thinking a medium size cube from Eagle Creek MIGHT be enough for shirts, and a pair of shorts and some joggers depending if I can zip it shut. This particular trip is only 3 nights, so I should be fine with very minimal clothes, especially if I wear my jeans on the plane. I do have a 4 night trip later this year for a wedding, so that might take more effort to make work just with the S19.

Kelly S
04-28-2017, 08:04 AM
Kelly - Do you take an IPad or laptop for entertainment? I never have, but this will be a long travel day for me, so I am buying an iPad specifically for this trip. I wonder if they always ask people to remove the iPad from the bag.

We travel as a family and usually have a laptop and an ipad plus two smart phones and a kindle.
The laptop goes in it's own bin and we make sure that the only time it's out of our sight is when it's actually in the xray machine. We make it the last bin in my husband's stuff or the first bin in mine. We try to time it so he's already gone through whatever security scan he needs to before we send it through.

The ipad or smart phone can usually just go through in whatever bag it's already in, but it's also a 2nd gen ipad and covered with kids stickers, so it's really less of a theft target.

I would put the laptop in a protective case of some sort that obscures what sort of computer it is. If you're going through security by yourself, I suggest making the bin that has the laptop be the last bin you send through, keep an eye on it for as long as you can, and then reclaim it as quickly as you can. For big items like a laptop or ipad, I think it's less likely to be the TSA that swipes it from your carryon, and more likely to be a fellow traveler that "accidentally" (on purpose) picks it up.

cucumber.sandwich
04-28-2017, 11:41 AM
I am so impressed that you can fit three weeks worth of clothes in that packing cube! I try for minimalist packing but could never do that. What are you bringing?

Thanks! In addition to the clothes I will be wearing, I will be bringing 2 skirts, two thin cardigans, an extra pair of leggings, one tank top, one pair of socks to wear on the airplane, two extra pairs of underwear, and then swimming stuff, a sarong, a thin lounging robe, and a rain coat. I bring dr bronners soap for washing clothes in the sink, so there is never a need to have more than 2-3 of anything including what I am wearing.

Badger
05-01-2017, 11:14 AM
I am wondering if a small organizer pouch would be more appropriate, but again, there is the paranoia to deal with about people scanning my passport (and credit cards, I suppose).

This isn't something I tend to worry about that much, to be honest. If you want to use a small OP, take a piece of aluminum foil and fold it in half. Cut it so that it's slightly smaller than the pouch. Put it in the pouch so that the fold is at the bottom. Put your cards and passport inside, making sure the foil surrounds them. Also, statistically, your credit cards are much more likely to be scanned without your knowledge in places like stores, supermarkets, etc. If this worries you, you may want to consider getting an RFID-blocking wallet and then just using it all the time.

You mention the travel stuff sac would be a better option for my sleep bag. Is there a way to clip this bag to a key strap?

Yes there isócheck out this post (https://forums.tombihn.com/questions-about-bags/8592-make-your-stuff-sack-into-organizer-pouch.html?highlight=Stuff+sack+organizer+pouch) I wrote about it.

For the side effect, I would want the black cordura because it would also double as a small purse to use when I am not travelling, and I prefer the aesthetics of the plain black.

Just to clarify: the Side Effect is not made of Cordura; it's made of 1050D Ballistic Nylon. This is worth mentioning because Ballistic Nylon is considerably thicker and less pliable than Halcyon or Cordura. If you prefer the color don't let it deter you; I recommended Halcyon because it tends to be the best bag-in-bag fabric for most people since it is light and flexible.