PDA

View Full Version : packing cubes for the Maker's Bag?

bermudajes
04-27-2017, 06:19 AM
My latest TB acquisition is an aubergine/island Maker's Bag, and I'm in love with it. I thought the Swift would be my forever work bag, but I was getting really tired of the urethane pockets and I'm loving the internal organization of the MB. And once I fall in love with a bag, I want to find a way to use it everywhere I go!

I tried (albeit halfheartedly) to use my MB for a recent weekend trip. I packed my clothes into a medium eBags packing cube. My toiletries were mostly contained in a 3D clear organizer cube. I also brought my SE as it's my go-to EDC, and a few other odds and ends (like Lara bars, a magazine and a notebook). But when I tried to slip everything into the MB, I found it was a VERY tight fit. I didn't have time to mess around with configurations, so I ended up putting most of that into my DLBP and a few other things into a Shop Bag. So much for a simple weekend of one-bag travel.

I have several more weekend trips on the horizon this spring and summer, so I'd love to give the MB another shot. Has anyone had success in using their MB as a weekender bag? Are there any recommended packing cubes to make the best use of the space?

Kshni
05-11-2017, 04:01 PM
Could the travel stuff sacks (TSS) and maybe the Night Flight Duffel's packing cubes work? My clothes are far too bulky to fit into a Maker's Bag; but I did make use of the TSS to control other elements inside the MB.

Badger
05-11-2017, 04:48 PM
The Pilot large cube works very well in my experience, but it fills the whole compartment. Given you have a (presumably) full Side Effect and 3D Organizer Cube, you could try using half the space for those two items and then a Packing Cube Shoulder Bag for your clothes. While you probably won't be able to get several complete outfits into this configuration, you would definitely have space to flat-pack a relatively lightweight pair of shorts or pants.

Another thought would be to use an Eagle Creek Spectre compression cube. I think it's roughly a similar size to the eBags medium cube but you can squish it flat(ter).

Last thought: if you're packing light summer clothing, you could try rolling it and putting it loose in the bag, using the SE and 3D OC to provide structure to one or both of the sides. If you're concerned about your smalls falling out, just zip them into the back pocket.

I don't have the Spectre cubes but I do have everything else I talked about (and the stuff sacks and NFTD cubes Kshni mentioned in her post). It's getting too dark to take pictures now but if you'd like to see various configurations I can test them out tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk