PDA

View Full Version : Flexo-Line travel washing clothes line in U.K./Europe?

Perseffect
05-04-2017, 01:02 AM
Hi folks. Was thinking of getting one of those travel clotheslines that I can use for my washing when travelling.

I don't think TB does one of these accessories so went looking for an alternative. I heard that the Canadian made Flexo-Line Clothesline - The Flexo-Line Company (http://flexo-line.com/product/) was very good.

I'm struggling to find a seller of them though outside of Canada/US. Anyone have one, are they good?

Also, anyone know who sells them in Europe? I've emailed the company to ask but curious if anyone here has any tips.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Duggy'sMom
05-04-2017, 01:48 AM
Don't know about this brand, but I've been using the sea to summit one for several years now. Been so useful and since it's so small it just stays in my toiletry bag.

Lite Line Clothesline | Sea to Summit (http://www.seatosummitusa.com/product/?item=Lite+Line+Clothesline&o1=0&o2=0&o3=192)

Frank II
05-04-2017, 03:21 AM
Have you tried amazon.co.uk? Or a camping/sporting goods store?

67South
05-04-2017, 06:16 AM
I do quite a bit of one-bag travelling, which results in me having to sink-wash clothes every other day or so. For a washing line I just carry 5 - 6 metres of 2mm (I think) cord, as available from pretty much any climbing shop. It hanks up into practically nothing and lives at the bottom of the side pocket of my SA.

Add a few basic knots and I've never come across a hotel room yet where I've been unable to string something up. Most clothes are fine just draped over the top, but if you do feel in need of pegs the TB double carabiners (which are scattered everywhere about my luggage) do a great job.

Perseffect
05-04-2017, 07:25 AM
Thanks all. I've tried all the usual places like Amazon, eBay etc but seems to be a very niche item. I'll keep looking and thanks for the alternative suggestions.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

terayon
05-04-2017, 07:26 AM
I got some shock cord and made my own in about 90 seconds, following @Miking's (I think) directions on these forums. The nice thing about the DIY version is that I made the ends so that they can both be tied to something like a towel rack. With loops on both ends, at least one end needs a hook to attach it, which may not be available in the room where the cord is being used.

At home I usually just drape clothes to dry, but if I hang clothes then they dry faster as they aren't doubled over themselves, which is nice when traveling. The braided cord works nicely without pegs.

As an aside, I really liked quite a few of Miking's hacks!

Perseffect
05-04-2017, 07:27 AM
I do quite a bit of one-bag travelling, which results in me having to sink-wash clothes every other day or so. For a washing line I just carry 5 - 6 metres of 2mm (I think) cord, as available from pretty much any climbing shop. It hanks up into practically nothing and lives at the bottom of the side pocket of my SA.

Add a few basic knots and I've never come across a hotel room yet where I've been unable to string something up. Most clothes are fine just draped over the top, but if you do feel in need of pegs the TB double carabiners (which are scattered everywhere about my luggage) do a great job.

Thanks. I have exactly the same setup of the 2mm cord at the moment but was wondering about the twisted rubber idea of the Flexo-Line. Might just stick with this for now. Thanks.

terayon
05-04-2017, 07:27 AM
I got some shock cord and made my own in about 90 seconds, following @Miking's (I think) directions on these forums. The nice thing about the DIY version is that I made the ends so that they can both be tied to something like a towel rack. With loops on both ends, at least one end needs a hook to attach it, which may not be available in the room where the cord is being used.

At home I usually just drape clothes to dry, but if I hang clothes then they dry faster as they aren't doubled over themselves, which is nice when traveling. The braided cord works nicely without pegs.

As an aside, I really liked quite a few of Miking's hacks!

Frank II
05-05-2017, 02:36 AM
This is the one I travel with:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/9va/Lewis-N-Clark-754-Black-One-Size-Latex-Clothesline/B003MU9JZC/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1493976907&sr=8-1-spell&keywords=lewis+n+clakr+clothesline

although I rarely use it. I usually just use the hangers in the room and hang things around the bathroom.

And if your room has a towel warmer, it makes a great clothes dryer.

aedifica
05-05-2017, 11:23 PM
I bought one recently--not the same brand, but the same general idea (braided rubber). I've only used it once so far but I like it. I have it in a medium Organizer Pouch (the mesh Skookum Dog one, so contents can dry easily) with a large flat sink stopper and some small sheets of laundry detergent. Mine is the Sun & Sheets Superior Quality Compact Adjustable Travel Bungee Clothesline (https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01H2MJNT2/) on the US Amazon site. I thought I saw something similar on amazon.co.uk, but it turned out to be just twisted, not braided.

No, wait! Here's something similar on amazon.co.uk: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Netline-Flexible-Clothesline-Utility-Cord/dp/B000PWIQKO/ And it's more similar to the Flexo-Line you linked than my clothesline is.

P.S. Mine has clips on the end in addition to loops, so I can either loop it over things or I can wrap the end around something and hook it onto itself. I think it's a useful addition. You could add a pair of S-biners to get that function, if you want.

Perseffect
05-06-2017, 02:16 AM
Thanks Frank II and aedifica for the specific suggestions. I'm going to take a look at those.

jannilee
05-06-2017, 08:21 AM
As @Terayon suggested, @Miking (the hackmeister) has posted excellent simple instructions for making your own. It is almost identical to the flexo-line but using shock cord instead of latex. Here is a link to that thread ( I hope!) https://forums.tombihn.com/questions-about-bags/7115-diy-travel-clothesline.html

jekv
05-06-2017, 09:21 AM
I've found latex to be superior to the shock cord type. I have the Netline one that aedifica linked to. Its very good but also very expensive. Its listed at £14.95 + £9 shipping but by the time its shipped from the US and you have customs charges to pay its going to cost you over £30. The Lewis & Clark one is nearly as good, packs smaller and is much cheaper. Or you can order some latex tubing and make your own.

Perseffect
05-06-2017, 03:48 PM
Thanks all. I've ordered the £4 Lewis and Clark latex one to give it a try. Thanks for the suggestions, I appreciate it.

Lodd
10-19-2017, 08:52 PM
Thanks all. I've ordered the £4 Lewis and Clark latex one to give it a try. Thanks for the suggestions, I appreciate it.

How has the latex clothesline been for you? Has it been useful?

Perseffect
10-20-2017, 01:07 AM

I've not actually used it yet (although it lives at the bottom of my Tristar for when I need it). For £4 it can have very occasional use and still have been worth it.

Perseffect
11-03-2017, 08:35 PM

Using the one I bought now on my current trip. Itís working really well. You donít get much on it but enough and it holds up well.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171104/0e97ff5fc00c2a2fc2de2ea4cfb9bb7e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Perseffect
11-04-2017, 02:16 AM
Iíll report back depending on how well it holds up on this trip.

Lodd
11-06-2017, 02:21 PM
Using the one I bought now on my current trip. Itís working really well. You donít get much on it but enough and it holds up well.

Thank you for the update. I'm happy to see that it's strong enough to grip the clothes without them falling (even when wet).
Also, is that a private pool? Looks really nice. It must be so nice and warm there. Nothing like the cold back here in UK.

Have fun in the sun.